ImageImageImageImage

Chuma Okeke drafted #16 by the Orlando Magic

Moderators: Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL, UCF

MagicFan101
RealGM
And1: 6,498

Re: Chuma Okeke drafted #16 by the Orlando Magic 

Post#1141 » by MagicFan101 » Mon Jan 20, 2020 2:00 pm

Let me add to that rant by saying that, like in any other business, keeping existing talent is easier than recruiting new talent.

I would prefer to see Evan adjust his style of play and be a part of the team for the next few years.

I’m just worried about giving him that big contract with no assurance it will play out that way.
drsd
RealGM
And1: 7,915

Post#1142 » by drsd » Mon Jan 20, 2020 5:49 pm

Any new Okeke health news?
Knightro
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 24,340

Post#1143 » by Knightro » Tue Feb 4, 2020 2:23 pm

Read on Twitter

https://theathletic.com/1580783/ ($)

Key takeaways
-Okeke has been cleared for non-contact, 5-on-0 offensive drills and non-contact scout-team work.
-He believes he can dunk with zero issues right now, but doctors haven't cleared him for that yet.
-Extremely doubtful he plays a game for Lakeland. The target is the Vegas Summer League in July.
-Okeke currently weights 232 pounds. Was 212 when he got to Lakeland in August.
-His grandmother lives in Deltona and he's able to visit her often.
-Isaac keeps most in contact with Okeke from the Orlando roster. Most mornings, Isaac texts Okeke scriptures for inspiration.
basketballRob
RealGM
And1: 10,713

Post#1144 » by basketballRob » Tue Feb 4, 2020 11:50 pm

Knightro wrote:
Read on Twitter

https://theathletic.com/1580783/ ($)

Key takeaways
-Okeke has been cleared for non-contact, 5-on-0 offensive drills and non-contact scout-team work.
-He believes he can dunk with zero issues right now, but doctors haven't cleared him for that yet.
-Extremely doubtful he plays a game for Lakeland. The target is the Vegas Summer League in July.
-Okeke currently weights 232 pounds. Was 212 when he got to Lakeland in August.
-His grandmother lives in Deltona and he's able to visit her often.
-Isaac keeps most in contact with Okeke from the Orlando roster. Most mornings, Isaac texts Okeke scriptures for inspiration.
His grandmother must be feeding him good.

Sent from my SM-G950U using RealGM mobile app
Skin
RealGM
And1: 8,636

Post#1145 » by Skin » Wed Feb 5, 2020 6:42 am

20 pounds of purely defined muscle. ;)
Jett Howard, Franz Wagner, Paolo Banchero, Jonathan Isaac, Wendell Carter Jr
Anthony Black, Cole Anthony, Jalen Suggs, Joe Ingles, Chuma Okeke, Mo Wagner, Goga Bitadze LESSSGOOO!!!
drsd
RealGM

Post#1146 » by drsd » Wed Feb 5, 2020 7:26 am

Skin wrote:20 pounds of purely defined muscle. ;)

Okeke was already strong for the SF slot. If this is lower body strength, then he could emerge as a great at setting picks and rebounding out of the wing.

For a player that projects as a 3-D player, his weight will not harm him (he is not an above the rim player).

At this point, he is portably doing to things: rehabbing and taking 10,000+ three-balls a day.

yoyojw17
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,091

Post#1147 » by yoyojw17 » Wed Feb 5, 2020 1:35 pm

drsd wrote:

Okeke was already strong for the SF slot. If this is lower body strength, then he could emerge as a great at setting picks and rebounding out of the wing.

For a player that projects as a 3-D player, his weight will not harm him (he is not an above the rim player).

At this point, he is portably doing to things: rehabbing and taking 10,000+ three-balls a day.

230 might not be bad at all. drops a little of the baby weight he might have had.... and firmed up. you think about AG and Kawhi are both at that 230 range... and mobility is not an issue for em. lol.

now i can see why they kept him out all season. happy they are taking it slowly. him and JI will be a great tandem for us at the forward position. A player of okeke's style and leadership would be amazing off the bench. seems like a natural lead by example type of player. Seems to have that controlled fire in him. hope it spreads to players like mo
zaymon
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,154

Post#1148 » by zaymon » Wed Feb 5, 2020 2:37 pm

yoyojw17 wrote:
drsd wrote:

230 might not be bad at all. drops a little of the baby weight he might have had.... and firmed up. you think about AG and Kawhi are both at that 230 range... and mobility is not an issue for em. lol.

now i can see why they kept him out all season. happy they are taking it slowly. him and JI will be a great tandem for us at the forward position. A player of okeke's style and leadership would be amazing off the bench. seems like a natural lead by example type of player. Seems to have that controlled fire in him. hope it spreads to players like mo

Chuma is 38,9 % 3 point shooter on 229 attempts. If he can keep it up in the nba we will have better spacing next year. Weltman was known for his drafting, i wont believe he doesnt know how a good offensive player looks like...
My money is on Banchero going number 1 !
drsd
RealGM

Post#1149 » by drsd » Wed Feb 5, 2020 2:40 pm

zaymon wrote:Chuma is 38,9 % 3 point shooter on 229 attempts. If he can keep it up in the nba we will have better spacing next year. Weltman was known for his drafting, i wont believe he doesnt know how a good offensive player looks like...

If Orlando trades Gordon, Okeke would be a probable starter in tie for Orlando.

Hitting threes and playing defense will be his roles. Basically Covington. That might be a better fit with Fultz' game, as I find Gordon and Fultz a bit redundant on offense.

zaymon
Lead Assistant

Post#1150 » by zaymon » Wed Feb 5, 2020 3:07 pm

drsd wrote:
zaymon wrote:Chuma is 38,9 % 3 point shooter on 229 attempts. If he can keep it up in the nba we will have better spacing next year. Weltman was known for his drafting, i wont believe he doesnt know how a good offensive player looks like...

If Orlando trades Gordon, Okeke would be a probable starter in tie for Orlando.

Hitting threes and playing defense will be his roles. Basically Covington. That might be a better fit with Fultz' game, as I find Gordon and Fultz a bit redundant on offense.

They are for sure, still it would not be so bad if Chuma came from the bench and Gordon started for 1 more year. AG is playing better lately, and his contract will be easier to move in the future. Only downside is spacing if Gordon doesnt sustain his recent shooting percentage and minutes for all of our forwards. Aminu had trouble finding minutes without Okeke. Covington would be a good outcome, still i think Okeke is better ball handler and passer. We will see.
yoyojw17
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,091

Post#1151 » by yoyojw17 » Wed Feb 5, 2020 3:55 pm

zaymon wrote:
yoyojw17 wrote:
drsd wrote:

Chuma is 38,9 % 3 point shooter on 229 attempts. If he can keep it up in the nba we will have better spacing next year. Weltman was known for his drafting, i wont believe he doesnt know how a good offensive player looks like...

don't forget that legit post game. He knows how to take up space and pin a man in the paint. and the dribble drive ain't that bad either. I'm actually excited to see him play.
fendilim
RealGM
And1: 5,017

Post#1152 » by fendilim » Wed Feb 5, 2020 4:10 pm

yoyojw17 wrote:
zaymon wrote:
yoyojw17 wrote:

don't forget that legit post game. He knows how to take up space and pin a man in the paint. and the dribble drive ain't that bad either. I'm actually excited to see him play.

yeah, chuma actually has a better offensive game than gordon coming out of college. lets see if that translates to the nba. at worst, if he can become covington, he's already worth the wait.
nicnac215
Sixth Man
And1: 536

Post#1153 » by nicnac215 » Wed Feb 5, 2020 5:07 pm

fendilim wrote:
yoyojw17 wrote:

yeah, chuma actually has a better offensive game than gordon coming out of college. lets see if that translates to the nba. at worst, if he can become covington, he's already worth the wait.

His BBIQ blows AG away too. He is going to be a great compliment to JI.
JKelt613
Sophomore
And1: 23

Post#1154 » by JKelt613 » Wed Feb 5, 2020 5:24 pm

230 is basically where OG Anunoby is which is a fair projection for him
zaymon
Lead Assistant

Post#1155 » by zaymon » Wed Feb 5, 2020 7:00 pm

nicnac215 wrote:
fendilim wrote:
yoyojw17 wrote:don't forget that legit post game. He knows how to take up space and pin a man in the paint. and the dribble drive ain't that bad either. I'm actually excited to see him play.

I think Chuma had better offensive out of college than AG has now. Gordon is better on lobs, straight line drives and passing, Chuma is better at shooting, and post ups, he also moves better without the ball. His defensive numbers in college were terrific for a forward. If we have 3 rim protectors on the floor with Okeke, Isaac and Bamba it will be hard to score on us, especially with such a big point guard like Fultz. All of them atheltic enough to recover to shooters. We saw some of that scary defense this year. Gordon for all his athletecism isnt a rim protector.
fendilim
RealGM
And1: 5,017

Post#1156 » by fendilim » Thu Feb 6, 2020 12:40 am

zaymon wrote:
nicnac215 wrote:
fendilim wrote:yeah, chuma actually has a better offensive game than gordon coming out of college. lets see if that translates to the nba. at worst, if he can become covington, he's already worth the wait.

I think Chuma had better offensive out of college than AG has now. Gordon is better on lobs, straight line drives and passing, Chuma is better at shooting, and post ups, he also moves better without the ball. His defensive numbers in college were terrific for a forward. If we have 3 rim protectors on the floor with Okeke, Isaac and Bamba it will be hard to score on us, especially with such a big point guard like Fultz. All of them atheltic enough to recover to shooters. We saw some of that scary defense this year. Gordon for all his athletecism isnt a rim protector.

Gordon is soft and prefers to play in the perimeter.
Skin
RealGM
And1: 8,636

Post#1157 » by Skin » Tue Feb 25, 2020 11:27 pm

zaymon wrote:
tiderulz wrote:
Knightro wrote:
I just don't think asking him to guard wings is the best use of his skill set either.

He's got a power forward skill set on both ends of the floor and I think he has the chance to be a very good one.

But expecting him to be an NBA SF feels way too optimistic based on what he showed in college and his physical attributes (size/speed).

well, asking him to be a PF, he will be undersized from the get go. those physical attributes wont translate into too many advantages

We are going to switch a lot with him. He is suppose to guard 2 - 4. On offense his main role will be shooting 3s, i dont think it matters if it will be as a 3 or as a 4. Its very hard to predict if his pull up game will develop, but even without it his shot is the most important thing. Aaron Gordon was playing 3 for us, and if Chuma skill set is of a 4 than AG is of a 5.

I think Knightro is envisioning Okeke as a guy who wears cement shoes and can't dribble. Okeke will surprise him. SFs come in all shapes, sizes and skill level. You are, what you can defend. Okeke is a legit defender 2-4. He doesn't have the quick twitch feet but he has enough to bully you with his size and long arms. He's not gonna get bumped off his spot or run through very easily by wings. He also has deceptive closing speed to close out on blocks and steals. One of his best traits is his demeanor. He was the heart of that scrappy Auburn team and they rallied around him. I like to think he could be a Team Friendly version of Carmelo Anthony. He might not reach the star heights of Melo, but he doesn't have to be in order to be a key starter for us. That dead eye shot of his combined with his defense and heart will help to start to mold the Magic in a positive direction.

But before that can happen, the old regime has to go. We need to make room for new leaders. Let Evan walk. Trade Vuc. Even AG can go for the right deal.

Fultz, _____, Okeke, Isaac, Bamba. LET'S GO!
Jett Howard, Franz Wagner, Paolo Banchero, Jonathan Isaac, Wendell Carter Jr
Anthony Black, Cole Anthony, Jalen Suggs, Joe Ingles, Chuma Okeke, Mo Wagner, Goga Bitadze LESSSGOOO!!!
Patrick1978
Veteran
And1: 872

Post#1158 » by Patrick1978 » Wed Feb 26, 2020 12:41 am

Skin wrote:
zaymon wrote:
tiderulz wrote:well, asking him to be a PF, he will be undersized from the get go. those physical attributes wont translate into too many advantages

We are going to switch a lot with him. He is suppose to guard 2 - 4. On offense his main role will be shooting 3s, i dont think it matters if it will be as a 3 or as a 4. Its very hard to predict if his pull up game will develop, but even without it his shot is the most important thing. Aaron Gordon was playing 3 for us, and if Chuma skill set is of a 4 than AG is of a 5.

I think Knightro is envisioning Okeke as a guy who wears cement shoes and can't dribble. Okeke will surprise him. SFs come in all shapes, sizes and skill level. You are, what you can defend. Okeke is a legit defender 2-4. He doesn't have the quick twitch feet but he has enough to bully you with his size and long arms. He's not gonna get bumped off his spot or run through very easily by wings. He also has deceptive closing speed to close out on blocks and steals. One of his best traits is his demeanor. He was the heart of that scrappy Auburn team and they rallied around him. I like to think he could be a Team Friendly version of Carmelo Anthony. He might not reach the star heights of Melo, but he doesn't have to be in order to be a key starter for us. That dead eye shot of his combined with his defense and heart will help to start to mold the Magic in a positive direction.

But before that can happen, the old regime has to go. We need to make room for new leaders. Let Evan walk. Trade Vuc. Even AG can go for the right deal.

Who is your SG?
Magic din romania

Ma numesc petre,sunt de la constanta

Fire Frank Vogel
MagicMatic
RealGM
And1: 12,922

Post#1159 » by MagicMatic » Wed Feb 26, 2020 1:11 am

Patrick1978 wrote:
Skin wrote:
zaymon wrote:We are going to switch a lot with him. He is suppose to guard 2 - 4. On offense his main role will be shooting 3s, i dont think it matters if it will be as a 3 or as a 4. Its very hard to predict if his pull up game will develop, but even without it his shot is the most important thing. Aaron Gordon was playing 3 for us, and if Chuma skill set is of a 4 than AG is of a 5.

Who is your SG?

Needs to be a potential all star in that lineup.
orlando_joe
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,659

Post#1160 » by orlando_joe » Wed Feb 26, 2020 3:29 pm

MagicMatic wrote:
Patrick1978 wrote:
Skin wrote:I think Knightro is envisioning Okeke as a guy who wears cement shoes and can't dribble. Okeke will surprise him. SFs come in all shapes, sizes and skill level. You are, what you can defend. Okeke is a legit defender 2-4. He doesn't have the quick twitch feet but he has enough to bully you with his size and long arms. He's not gonna get bumped off his spot or run through very easily by wings. He also has deceptive closing speed to close out on blocks and steals. One of his best traits is his demeanor. He was the heart of that scrappy Auburn team and they rallied around him. I like to think he could be a Team Friendly version of Carmelo Anthony. He might not reach the star heights of Melo, but he doesn't have to be in order to be a key starter for us. That dead eye shot of his combined with his defense and heart will help to start to mold the Magic in a positive direction.

Who is your SG?

Needs to be a potential all star in that lineup.

because that team might win 10 games next yr? maybe 15

Return to Orlando Magic