ImageImageImageImage

Chuma Okeke drafted #16 by the Orlando Magic

Moderators: UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL

ezzzp
Head Coach
And1: 3,462

Re: Chuma Okeke drafted #16 by the Orlando Magic 

Post#41 » by ezzzp » Fri Jun 21, 2019 2:35 am

NBADRAFT.NET

Strengths: He’s a high level jump shooter ... He shot over 38% from beyond the arc this past season ... He’s a capable scorer off the dribble ... He is great at moving without the basketball, he gives the offense a different dimension with his off ball movement ... He’s a solid playmaker, capable of finding his opening open teammates ... He improved his rebounding by 1 per game this past season ... He’s very active on the boards ... Knows his limits and stays within himself ... Displays his IQ on his shot selection ... He shot almost 50% from the field this season ... He’s a good defender, and good instincts on the defensive end of the floor.... He averaged over 1 block and almost 2 steals per game ... He’s a good athlete with a long wingspan, capable of scoring in transition and defending multiple positions ... He’s a solid scorer from the low post, able to take advantage of mismatches down low ... 7' foot wingpsan helps him overcome some of his height dificiencies as a post player ... Lack of a true position could end up working out well for him in today's positionless game ... He may work ideally in the role of a small ball 4 with his mobility and ability to face up and spread the floor ...

Weaknesses: He needs to improve his free throw percentage, he shot only 72% from the line this season ... He may struggle to create his own shot at the next level ... Shouldl ook to develop a better shot off the dribble ... In the league today he will be easily defended if he doesn’t improve his ability to create for himself... At times he is very careless with the basketball, that leads to turnover ... At the next level, teams will convert on his turnovers ... He is undisciplined at times on the defensive end of the floor ... Sometimes he gets out of position or gambles unnecessarily ... He doesn’t have a defined position, not really a 3 or a 4 which will lead him to struggle to find a role at the next level ... He’s a little undersized as a 4 but he might not be quick enough to defend 3s ... He tore his ACL back in March so how he recovers will be monitored ... Questions will persist about his ability to get back to 100% mobility, explosiveness and confidence that he had before ... Will turn 21 in August, making him slightly older for a sophomore ...

Outlook: Okeke is an athletic forward with a long wingspan. He could be an ideal 3 and D player in the NBA at worst. If he improves his ability to score off the dribble, he can evolve into an NBA star. Coming off an ACL tear, teams need to see how his recovery is going in order to use their draft pick on him.

Notes: Measured 6'6 without shoes, 6'7 with shoes, 233 lbs, with a 7'0 wingspan and 8'7 standing reach at the June 2017 USA U19 tryouts ... His favorite player is Lebron James. He is off Nigerian descent ... He tore his ACL in the Sweet Sixteen ...
Rainwater
General Manager
And1: 5,602

Post#42 » by Rainwater » Fri Jun 21, 2019 2:36 am

He is basically an AG clone, they play the same exact way.
Viper1500
Head Coach
And1: 2,702

Post#43 » by Viper1500 » Fri Jun 21, 2019 2:36 am

I am coming around to this pick. I'm still a bit confused on our guard rotation though.
Audi
Analyst
And1: 2,777

Post#44 » by Audi » Fri Jun 21, 2019 2:37 am

Literally all I’ve read this far is that he would’ve been selected at around the #16 or before if that injury didn’t drop his value. So basically Weham did exactly what they said they would do and picked BPA over fit.
Abra Cadabra, Razzmatazz, Slam-Dunk Sesame, Hocus Pocus, Alacazam, Gonna set the spirit free
Keeping The Original Orlando Magic Theme Song Alive
ORL_on_FIRE
Starter
And1: 1,849

Post#45 » by ORL_on_FIRE » Fri Jun 21, 2019 2:37 am

Some Magic fans:
"Draft someone that can actually shoot"

*Drafts someone that can actually shoot*

"Nooooo not that guy"

"Draft someone that isn't boring and has high potential"

*Drafts someone that isn't boring and has high potential*

"Nooooo not that guy"

You guys are awesome haha.
yoyojw17
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,091

Post#46 » by yoyojw17 » Fri Jun 21, 2019 2:43 am

ORL_on_FIRE wrote:Some Magic fans:
"Draft someone that can actually shoot"

*Drafts someone that can actually shoot*

"Nooooo not that guy"

"Draft someone that isn't boring and has high potential"

*Drafts someone that isn't boring and has high potential*

"Nooooo not that guy"

You guys are awesome haha.

lol!!!! accurate. didn't see it coming but every professional commentator loved it... so that quelled my initial reaction of... "WHO?" And Skins reaction made me feel more hyped. lol. Now lets see what happens for the rest of this draft.
swarlesbarkley
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,153

Post#47 » by swarlesbarkley » Fri Jun 21, 2019 2:43 am

Rainwater wrote:He is basically an AG clone, they play the same exact way.

Okeke seems way more skilled than even current AG.
nymets1
Head Coach
And1: 1,353

Post#48 » by nymets1 » Fri Jun 21, 2019 2:46 am

Did our Okeke pick leak before Adam Silver announced the pick? We defiantly don't want the teams above us in the draft order to know about us taking Okeke cause than those teams would do research and maybe pick Okeke before us.

Okeke has an ACL injury not the achilles. He is exactly 20 years old, He'll be playing December or January.
"Bodysurfing and always drive with the windows down"

"UCF 2017 only undefeated national champions"
The Effect
Magic Forum Mock Draft Co-Champ
And1: 2,053

Post#49 » by The Effect » Fri Jun 21, 2019 2:48 am

Its sad when the literal best case scenario for a guy is "he might be able to play at some point this year and possibly be a backup"

i havent been this upset as a magic fan since we traded for Ibaka

An undersized PF who likely wont play this season. So say he misses the whole season. We used the #16 pick on a player who wont help this year, will be backup the next season as a rookie coming off not playing in a year
NavalAviator94
Analyst
And1: 1,456

Chuma Okeke drafted #16 by the Orlando Magic 

Post#50 » by NavalAviator94 » Fri Jun 21, 2019 2:50 am

Surprising choice to say the least. Seems like a good kid. I’m interested to dig in and find out why the Magic think this kid is special enough to take so early. They’ve obviously seen something others haven’t and I’m looking forward to finding out what that might be. I’m rooting for him to turn into a stud.

Sent from my iPad using RealGM Forums
Message Boar
Veteran
And1: 1,694

Post#51 » by Message Boar » Fri Jun 21, 2019 2:51 am

Viper1500 wrote:I am coming around to this pick. I'm still a bit confused on our guard rotation though.

Let's give the FO the rest of the offseason to figure that out. I'll give them the benefit of the doubt... For now.
The Effect
Magic Forum Mock Draft Co-Champ
And1: 2,053

Post#52 » by The Effect » Fri Jun 21, 2019 2:53 am

swarlesbarkley wrote:

Based on what? SOme youtube HIGHLIGHT videos? I can go find you highlight videos of anyone to make them look great, thats why they are called highlights.
More skilled at what? AG averaged more pts, reb, assists, shot better from the field and free throw line, and did it against NBA players.

But no no, a youtube video clearly shows a guy no one on this board mentioned 4hrs ago is more skilled than AG, youre right
NavalAviator94
Analyst

Post#53 » by NavalAviator94 » Fri Jun 21, 2019 2:54 am

BlueBalls wrote:Horrible pick. Nothing about it makes sense.

It might be time to get some.

Sent from my iPad using RealGM mobile app
thelead
RealGM
And1: 25,667

Post#54 » by thelead » Fri Jun 21, 2019 2:55 am

swarlesbarkley wrote:

More skilled on offense, much less athletic, coming of a semi-serious injury and only 3 years younger than AG... who has been in the league for 5 years now.

Again, I don't hate the player, I just question the fit.
Rainwater
General Manager
And1: 5,602

Post#55 » by Rainwater » Fri Jun 21, 2019 2:55 am

swarlesbarkley wrote:

He might be a little bit more of a natural scorer but not by much. If you watch the highlights they literally play the same way. Good defenders, no in between game, can't create, straight line drives and gets their points in the paint or at the 3.

Yeah, I don't know how you don't see this and don't get AG vibes.
EAS Law
Analyst
And1: 3,456

Post#56 » by EAS Law » Fri Jun 21, 2019 2:59 am

Give him three years before demanding he be traded. He looks like AG with less athleticism, but a much better shot. He will be a great player for us with potential to be an all-star. Give him three seasons. Sig me.
NavalAviator94
Analyst

Post#57 » by NavalAviator94 » Fri Jun 21, 2019 2:59 am

Bensational wrote:I'm intrigued AF about this guy, mostly because I don't know much about him, but everything I do see screams positive.

I think his future lays on the wings, though. And he'll be a bull at those positions, too!

Lol same

Sent from my iPad using RealGM mobile app
swarlesbarkley
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,153

Post#58 » by swarlesbarkley » Fri Jun 21, 2019 3:01 am

The Effect wrote:
swarlesbarkley wrote:

Based on what? SOme youtube HIGHLIGHT videos? I can go find you highlight videos of anyone to make them look great, thats why they are called highlights.
More skilled at what? AG averaged more pts, reb, assists, shot better from the field and free throw line, and did it against NBA players.

But no no, a youtube video clearly shows a guy no one on this board mentioned 4hrs ago is more skilled than AG, youre right

I apologize that I hurt your feelings. I guess "skilled" is vague so I'll expand. Okeke seems to have more skill with post-up moves, shooting, creating off the dribble - all the things that AG still struggles with. Okeke is efficient at these things, AG is not. AG is way more explosive.

Get excited man.
Rockzin4
Junior
And1: 182

Post#59 » by Rockzin4 » Fri Jun 21, 2019 3:03 am

I like his game. I hope he’ll contribute soon. An Okeke-Isaac-Bamba line sounds interesting. Not my first choice but I’m not enraged by this pick.
dsg2021
Analyst
And1: 1,035

Post#60 » by dsg2021 » Fri Jun 21, 2019 3:05 am

From what little I’ve gathered, looks like a rare kind of player that is not easy to find, because he’s got length, with shooting, with IQ and selflessness. You can’t really pass that up, even if it just to shore up your star forwards’ rotation of AG & JI with Chuma behind them.

Chuma’s gonna have plenty of minutes and he’s gonna space out and pass fantastically next to either one as well. We needed that extra forward.

Definitely some BPA/All Star potential if he develops more “in between” offense, but looks like a can’t miss maximization of all present values available. Take advantage of an injury as opposed to chasing 6’1 players who jumped 13 spots up because of ‘workouts’ and ‘hype’.. after the ncaa season already ended months ago.. I also really love him as a sneaky 2-guard and 3 wing pick, if he is as high IQ, and versatile, and sharpshooting as he is, he might soon have the lateral quickness and skillsets for a 2 or 3 that’s got great length.

Even as a combo 3/4, I would kill to have found the next Shane Battier. Battier had a long career with an impact that went dramatically beyond just the numbers. I also see a little Tobias, with less go-to ability, and more defense, which is great.

Return to Orlando Magic