ImageImageImageImage

Chuma Okeke drafted #16 by the Orlando Magic

Moderators: Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL, UCF

MagicMatic
RealGM
And1: 12,913

Re: Chuma Okeke drafted #16 by the Orlando Magic 

Post#81 » by MagicMatic » Fri Jun 21, 2019 4:55 am

J the Drafter wrote:Is there any reason Okeke wouldn’t play alongside Isaac and Gordon? Is it just a given that none of those players should be guarding bigs? Or does everyone expect us not to have room in the lineup due to Fournier?

Okeke won’t be playing sg. He’s a F, so he plays the same positionally as Isaac and AG.
ezzzp
Head Coach
And1: 3,462

Post#82 » by ezzzp » Fri Jun 21, 2019 4:57 am

Solid Snake wrote:
ezzzp wrote:A versatile forward that play either forward spot with either Isaac or Gordon.

yeah but hes going to be a bench guy cause both those guys are starters and he's not taking their spot....i guess it's good we need all the bench help we can get.

He should get plenty of minutes once he's healthy and develop gradually behind both.

Its important to factor in that we don't know with any certainty if the Gordon/Isaac pairing will be together in the long term future. He'll be 23 when Aaron Gordon hits unrestricted free agency.

Having a quality forward developing as a replacement or as a trade asset is fine.
Bensational
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 12,396

Post#83 » by Bensational » Fri Jun 21, 2019 4:57 am

fklt wrote:since he kicks AG off from the young prospect pecking order, I guess we're updating BIG into BIO now.

sChOlaRlY_Magi
Sixth Man
And1: 343

Post#84 » by sChOlaRlY_Magi » Fri Jun 21, 2019 4:57 am

Anyone have an idea on why we didn't draft ANYONE that was being discussed with either pick?
Nyce_1
RealGM
And1: 5,975

Post#85 » by Nyce_1 » Fri Jun 21, 2019 5:03 am

sChOlaRlY_Magi wrote:Anyone have an idea on why we didn't draft ANYONE that was being discussed with either pick?
okeke is lotto talent. Knowing the FO, he was BPA to them.

As for #46, probably wont have enough room for another developmental player. We may have more space next year when we see what we have with Frazier and determine if we want to re-sign Iwundu.
Nyce_1
RealGM
And1: 5,975

Post#86 » by Nyce_1 » Fri Jun 21, 2019 5:07 am

Okeke reminds me of Tobia but with better defense and less penetration. Same shooter.

I'm good with that.
Hogified05
Rookie
And1: 498

Post#87 » by Hogified05 » Fri Jun 21, 2019 5:07 am

I like the pick. I just think we could have backed up a little, maybe got another asset and got him. Didn't see him going before 20 with the knee on the mend. But get your man if you want him. Still wish we would have got Edwards in the second. Oh well. Now he will torch us in Boston
The hero Orlando deserves is out there somewhere, Dwight was not the one we needed. So we will hunt for him...
ezzzp
Head Coach

Post#88 » by ezzzp » Fri Jun 21, 2019 5:26 am

Read on Twitter
Bensational
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#89 » by Bensational » Fri Jun 21, 2019 5:39 am

ezzzp wrote:
Read on Twitter

It's funny, because that was the first time I found myself listening intently to what Schmitz and Bilas had to say, because I didn't know the first thing about Okeke. Good things to hear, nonetheless.
ezzzp
Head Coach

Post#90 » by ezzzp » Fri Jun 21, 2019 5:59 am

Bensational wrote:
ezzzp wrote:
Read on Twitter

It's funny, because that was the first time I found myself listening intently to what Schmitz and Bilas had to say, because I didn't know the first thing about Okeke. Good things to hear, nonetheless.

Why don't value Schmitz opinions?
SOUL
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 37,522

Post#91 » by SOUL » Fri Jun 21, 2019 6:10 am

Read on Twitter
OrlandO
RealGM
And1: 16,421

Post#92 » by OrlandO » Fri Jun 21, 2019 6:21 am

drsd
RealGM
And1: 7,901

Post#93 » by drsd » Fri Jun 21, 2019 6:28 am

Message Boar wrote:If we had a need for a good power forward and he didn't have the health concerns, I would have liked it, not loved it, but liked it.

That being said, welcome to Orlando, Chuma! (assuming you're not traded)

Orlando needs to replace Martin's slot. This pick does that.

Skin
RealGM
And1: 8,636

Post#94 » by Skin » Fri Jun 21, 2019 6:28 am

The Effect wrote:Again, based on what?
Like i said, 4hrs ago, this name was never once mentioned, now people are going to tell me hes more skilled than AG? If hes so skilled, why are people JUST NOW mentioned how skilled he is? We spent months discussing the draft, didnt see anyone talk about him, literally NOT ONCE, but all of a sudden, hes a future superstar and the steal of the draft?

I dunno about that....

https://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=1755293&p=74235718&hilit=okeke#p74235718

Some people were talking about Okeke in the "2018/2019 NBA draft talk: Who should be our target? (Poll)" thread. 8-)
Jett Howard, Franz Wagner, Paolo Banchero, Jonathan Isaac, Wendell Carter Jr
Anthony Black, Cole Anthony, Jalen Suggs, Joe Ingles, Chuma Okeke, Mo Wagner, Goga Bitadze LESSSGOOO!!!
Bensational
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#95 » by Bensational » Fri Jun 21, 2019 7:01 am

ezzzp wrote:
Bensational wrote:
ezzzp wrote:
Read on Twitter

Why don't value Schmitz opinions?

No no, nothing like that. I quite enjoy them. I meant that with other prospects, I at least knew who they were and what we were missing out on, so if I drifted away from watching the draft it didn't matter. This time, they had my full attention because I knew nothing about the guy.
WillyJakkz
RealGM
And1: 3,429

Post#96 » by WillyJakkz » Fri Jun 21, 2019 7:18 am

Man, seriously???
zaymon
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,152

Post#97 » by zaymon » Fri Jun 21, 2019 7:56 am

He was so under the radar but after watching him i LOVE THE PICK. Last year i was so salty with Bamba but this year ? Long athletic forward with ACTUAL basketball skills ? I like him so much better than Herro, Langford and NAW. I did little research on him becouse there was no media hype but this situation reminds me on Caris Levert. So much talent, but underrated becouse of injury which is fully treatable with todays medicine. Our FO is smart and patient i am so hyped right now.
My money is on Banchero going number 1 !
Skin
RealGM
And1: 8,636

Post#98 » by Skin » Fri Jun 21, 2019 8:14 am

The case for Chuma Okeke

Many of us just drooled over ATL landing DeAndre Hunter and Cam Reddish, but Chuma Okeke is cut from the same mold and played on their level or better at times this season. If not for his tournament injury, his stock would've been in the lottery no doubt in my mind. His injury was a blessing for us. Hunter propelled his stock in the tournament and Okeke was well on his way in doing the same thing. This will be a good rivalry for years to come.

Versatility

Don't get mislead by the PF label tagged on his Auburn profile. He is not a traditional one dimensional PF by any means. He's versatile both on offense and defense. Bruce Pearl said
"he's a really versatile defender, just as versatile as you see him offensively, where he can shoot it, put it on the floor and do a few things, a good passer, he's really versatile defensively too. He's a strength for us."

Weltman confirmed this repeatedly in his post draft presser.
"There's an old expression, you are who you guard. I think he'll be able to guard 3s, 4s, 5s, 2s... He's a very versatile player and a very highly intelligent team defensive player... I don't want to lock him into a position. We'll let him grow as a player and let our coaches get to know the player and I think he'll be able to help us in a lot of different areas."

Jay Bilas
"It's a little surprising he went this high, but that shows you where the NBA is headed. He can shoot it, he can guard, he can run and he can play all over the floor. You can move him anywhere."

Switchability

I remember reading an article a while back, but I just had to find it again because I think it fits exactly into the theory that the Magic were thinking when they selected Okeke. The college game is copying the NBA in terms of 3 point shooting... and teams are having to adjust. Good read if you have time: https://www.ncaa.com/news/basketball-men/article/2018-10-24/6-things-know-about-switch-defensive-tactic-thats-taking

We are living the age of the 3-pointer in college basketball. Teams are shooting more 3s than ever before, and the trend doesn’t look to be slowing down any time soon.

But what can defenses do to combat it? Switching on defense is one tactic that’s becoming more and more popular.

It’s difficult for two main reasons. First, it takes a certain kind of player to be able to guard multiple positions. Undersized point guards may be great on offense, but they probably can’t hold up in this defensive system. Or you may have a plodding post-up beast who’s immobile on the perimeter. That guy can’t play in this defensive system, either.

Second, it takes a high level of concentration. Players weren’t taught the art of switching growing up. While it can look easy, it’s usually a foreign concept, and the even slightest hesitation can cost your team.

This is why wings are such a hot commodity right now. Get a guy who stands between 6-6 and 6-9, is athletic and has sound defensive technique, and he’s the perfect switchable defender. That player should be able to hang with guards, like-sized players and even some centers.

I know a lot of us would've loved to land Hunter or Reddish in the Top 10, but a healthy Okeke is right there with them... comparing favorably to Kawhi Leonard, I might add

Cam Reddish 6'8, 218
DeAndre Hunter 6'7, 225
Chuma Okeke 6'8, 230
Kawhi Leonard 6'7, 229

Readiness

I know... I know... we're all disappointed that we have to wait for his ACL injury to heal... but that said, the Magic just got a player who possesses and NBA ready body from Day 1. Sure, he'll have to tone himself up as I'm sure he will naturally do under an NBA weight room regimen, but this is not a scenario like Jonathan Isaac or Mo Bamba who will need years to fill out their bodies to handle the rigors of the NBA. The wait for his body to be ready to play will not take nearly as much patience. In fact, one of his strengths is finishing through contact. Gotta love that!

Steal of the Draft

You heard it all over ESPN when Okeke was drafted. Mike Schmitz was raving over our pick.

Chuma Okeke has a chance to be the steal of the draft here. If he didn't go down with that ACL injury, I think we're talking about him as a surefire lottery pick," ESPN analyst Mike Schmitz said. "Seven-foot wingspan. Defends multiple positions. Can space the floor offensively. Has a strong feel for the game. He was really the glue that held that Auburn team together. He's unselfish, he moves the ball, he knows his role. In today's NBA, he's the guy you want. He's the prototype.

This is a huge win for the Orlando Magic, even if he has to sit out.

Now those are all fun words to hear, but none of us thought he was going to be our pick at 16. I definitely was a fan but saw his draft value in the late 1st/early 2nd round. I was hoping for the Magic to do something dramatic like move up into the Top 10, but I have to say.. It's a crazy time to be a Magic fan... whether you like or don't like the pick... that's for sure!

Analytics Darling

Mike Schmitz continued to rave on about Okeke being an "Analytics Darling"...

"He is an analytics darling in a lot of ways. ESPN.com's the genius of the numbers, Kevin Pelton had him ranked No. 2. So this is a guy that analytics models really liked and basketball people clearly liked in terms of versatility, in terms of his ability to shoot the ball, and his feel for the game."

Schmitz was off by 1. Chuma Okeke actually ranked 3rd on Kevin Pelton's stats only projection.

From fansided.com said
Okeke has played more aggressively during the tourney than he did during Auburn’s up-and-down season. He’s an advanced stats darling, supercharged by a 5.6 percent block rate, 3.6 percent steal rate and 59.0 true shooting percentage.

I don't know if this is common news but back in February, the Orlando Magic made headlines...

Orlando Magic Enter Exclusive Deal With STATS To Begin Using AI Player Tracking Technology

https://www.forbes.com/sites/simonogus/2019/02/27/orlando-magic-enter-exclusive-deal-with-stats-to-begin-using-ai-player-tracking-technology/#63cc341f6b03

As data becomes the new currency in professional and collegiate sports, teams are leaving no stone unturned to access the best available information in order to field the best team to win. This arms race took another distinct turn on Monday when the Orlando Magic announced an exclusive deal with STATS whereby they will have access to AutoSTATS, the company's offering of new artificial technology (AI).

The Magic will use the tracking data produced by AutoSTATS in a number of ways, with the ultimate goal being to help the front office make more informed player evaluation decisions for upcoming roster moves. They will use the software to analyze players from the collegiate level in determining which players would make the most sense for the team in future NBA Drafts.

AutoSTATS delivers comprehensive player-tracking data directly from game video and assists, through their own proprietary and patented AI and computer vision technology, in making player evaluation determinations. This new technology will give the Magic exclusive access to collegiate tracking data from the company that is largely unavailable at this level of use, due to the scarcity of in-venue tracking systems at the NCAA basketball level.

Clearly the Magic used their advantage in crunching numbers to come away with the player we picked at 16. If you're not on board yet, you will be. Chuma was the heart of the Auburn team that made a deep run in the tournament and will shortly make it into your hearts as well.

Read on Twitter
Jett Howard, Franz Wagner, Paolo Banchero, Jonathan Isaac, Wendell Carter Jr
Anthony Black, Cole Anthony, Jalen Suggs, Joe Ingles, Chuma Okeke, Mo Wagner, Goga Bitadze LESSSGOOO!!!
cedric76
RealGM
And1: 3,184

Post#99 » by cedric76 » Fri Jun 21, 2019 8:21 am

Grayson or Monk? Bring the cheapest

unleash Jett next seaon
Message Boar
Veteran
And1: 1,685

Post#100 » by Message Boar » Fri Jun 21, 2019 8:26 am

^First of all, love the footage from the draft party. Those moments are a lot more fun and less scripted than the big names at the draft. It feels a bit more spontaneous, more personal. Andrew Nicholson's draft moment is another one that has stuck with me.

Second, nice catch about that analytics angle, I forgot about the STATS partnership.That could very well have played a role.

Third, in addition to your comprehensive write-up, what excites me most after sleeping on the pick is his reported excellent basketball IQ. It's a trait that a lot of the best players have and a lot of busts lack. If a player is smart and has the necessary tools to stay on the floor, it's likely that that player at least has a decent career in the league. Chuma definitely has both.

Return to Orlando Magic