ImageImageImageImage

Official Speculation Thread ‘19-'20 II: BIG as F

Moderators: Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL, UCF

drsd
RealGM
And1: 7,903

Re: Official Speculation Thread ‘19-'20 II: BIG as F 

Post#1861 » by drsd » Thu Aug 15, 2019 12:44 pm

Interesting point, if Okeke "red-shirts" this year, he still has a full cap-hold of 120% all year; he simply does not count to the Lux tax line (which the Magic is not really that close to).

So this means the Magic cannot sign Okeke to Lakeland and then sign a FA above the min-contract line (say a 2.2M, one-year contract).
magicman112
Head Coach
And1: 1,888

Post#1862 » by magicman112 » Thu Aug 15, 2019 1:12 pm

pepe1991 wrote:
ezzzp wrote:
pepe1991 wrote:

:lol:

so you have to pay $5 a month to get an access to usless data like "gravity" ? What's next , $300 diet plan for DJ Augustin?

Gotta milk them nba fans like it's nba 2k :lol:

they post a lot of their stuff for free on twitter and a lot of their data on their site is free anyhow ....also just because you don’t understand how to apply that gravity data doesn’t mean it’s useless

...and from what I understand about bb-index is that the people that pay for the data behind their paywall use it for betting - not 2K

I understand what gravity in basketball advanced stats is and means . I just find it idiotic to charge people for data. ESPN does it too.

I refered to NBA 2k ( 19 ) because they made my career mode borderline unplayable for ones who don't want to spend real money to improve skills over reasonable period of time.

That's how it is in Madden now too. If you don't spend real money good luck trying to play people online without getting crushed.
Blue_and_Whte
RealGM
And1: 9,237

Post#1863 » by Blue_and_Whte » Thu Aug 15, 2019 1:33 pm

basketballRob wrote:
Instincts wrote:
ezzzp wrote:
I really like JI’s potential, but to put his modest gains alongside Fox’s transformation into a stud PG just isn’t realistic. JI just stayed healthy for a full season and he made nice, but modest, improvements - and those were gradually over the course of the season.

As much as I’d love for it to happen, a Fox type of transformation from Bamba is very unlikely this year.

Usually when a leap like Fox’s happens, it’s not with a player who had a major injury that kept him off the court for 5 months...one where the player’s activity is still being monitored and limited two months before training camp starts.

I expect Bamba to come back better than last year, but I also think he will be very rusty and still in rookie mode early on. His progress will be gradual throughout the year and my guess is the medical staff will monitor him very closely early on.

Wait, wait, wait...

In comparing Foxs, JIs, and Bambas development you are leaving out a major consideration. Basketball awareness / aka nba readiness.

At the time of the draft Fox was nba ready other than a outside shot. Thus the early breakout.

JI was less nba ready due to weight/ physicality and was viewed as a 3 to 4 year project player, to his credit he has made substantial strides in this area and now has the potential for a breakout, but I think it will likely be year 3 or 4 as expected before he "breaks out".

Bamba is a different story all together. Bamba was not nba ready due to basketball awareness, low motor, and weight/ physicality. These are major concerns and firmly suggested Bamba as a 3 to 4 year project player. But even more so, low awareness and low motor are issues that have a higher percentage to prove as inherent traits that a player would not be able to sufficiently rectify. I hope Bamba proves me wrong on this, but I expect only substantial shooting and weight improvements this year, with awareness and motor showing only modest improvement. Thus I dont think Bamba has breakout potential this year, likely year 3 to 4 if he can rectify to the awareness issue sufficiently.
I could research and find comments about Isaac's motor at this time last year. I remember people saying he doesn't run hard all the time.

Bamba's problem was conditioning and knowing where to be on the floor. Much like it was Isaac's.

With Birch pushing him I think he'll give a better effort.

Sent from my SM-G965U using RealGM mobile app
I don’t think you’re correct. Motor was never a problem with Isaac, it was Mo’s which was his knock coming out of college. It manifested a lot over the course of the season prior to his injury.
Faith, Family, Basketball
#2A
#Adopt
Skybox
RealGM
And1: 5,602

Post#1864 » by Skybox » Thu Aug 15, 2019 2:01 pm

Blue_and_Whte wrote:
basketballRob wrote:
Instincts wrote:
Wait, wait, wait...

In comparing Foxs, JIs, and Bambas development you are leaving out a major consideration. Basketball awareness / aka nba readiness.

At the time of the draft Fox was nba ready other than a outside shot. Thus the early breakout.

JI was less nba ready due to weight/ physicality and was viewed as a 3 to 4 year project player, to his credit he has made substantial strides in this area and now has the potential for a breakout, but I think it will likely be year 3 or 4 as expected before he "breaks out".

Bamba is a different story all together. Bamba was not nba ready due to basketball awareness, low motor, and weight/ physicality. These are major concerns and firmly suggested Bamba as a 3 to 4 year project player. But even more so, low awareness and low motor are issues that have a higher percentage to prove as inherent traits that a player would not be able to sufficiently rectify. I hope Bamba proves me wrong on this, but I expect only substantial shooting and weight improvements this year, with awareness and motor showing only modest improvement. Thus I dont think Bamba has breakout potential this year, likely year 3 to 4 if he can rectify to the awareness issue sufficiently.
I could research and find comments about Isaac's motor at this time last year. I remember people saying he doesn't run hard all the time.

Bamba's problem was conditioning and knowing where to be on the floor. Much like it was Isaac's.

I don’t think you’re correct. Motor was never a problem with Isaac, it was Mo’s which was his knock coming out of college. It manifested a lot over the course of the season prior to his injury.

There was “asthma” talk relating to rookie Isaac- don’t know whether it was valid or “board chatter”
rcklsscognition
RealGM
And1: 7,135

Post#1865 » by rcklsscognition » Thu Aug 15, 2019 2:07 pm

I've been dreaming about league-wide gravity stats for years.

Read on Twitter
yoyojw17
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,091

Post#1866 » by yoyojw17 » Thu Aug 15, 2019 2:45 pm

rcklsscognition wrote:I've been dreaming about league-wide gravity stats for years.

Read on Twitter

Hence.... add to them post moves. gravity equal opportunity of others.
Optimus_Steel
RealGM
And1: 11,147

Post#1867 » by Optimus_Steel » Thu Aug 15, 2019 2:51 pm

I have to consult with Issac Newton on this gravity stuff.
aka: prorl
basketballRob
RealGM
And1: 10,713

Post#1868 » by basketballRob » Thu Aug 15, 2019 3:54 pm

Skybox wrote:
Blue_and_Whte wrote:
basketballRob wrote:I could research and find comments about Isaac's motor at this time last year. I remember people saying he doesn't run hard all the time.

There was “asthma” talk relating to rookie Isaac- don’t know whether it was valid or “board chatter”

There was absolutely talk about Isaac's motor and conditioning after last year's summer league and early last season. I remember disagreeing with someone after Isaac jogged down the floor.
ezzzp
Head Coach
And1: 3,462

Post#1869 » by ezzzp » Thu Aug 15, 2019 4:41 pm

yoyojw17 wrote:
rcklsscognition wrote:I've been dreaming about league-wide gravity stats for years.

Spoiler:
Read on Twitter

Yep, that was my first thought when I saw this tweet and how insane his gravity was around the basket. The Magic's analytics staff very likely have that same data and caught that anomaly and told him that was an area he could really exploit if he honed his efficiency and skill set there.
fendilim
RealGM
And1: 5,017

Post#1870 » by fendilim » Thu Aug 15, 2019 4:48 pm

ezzzp wrote:
yoyojw17 wrote:

Spoiler:
Read on Twitter

Yep, that was my first thought when I saw this tweet and how insane his gravity was around the basket. The Magic's analytics staff very likely have that same data and caught that anomaly and told him that was an area he could really exploit if he honed his efficiency and skill set there.

For sure. We ran some 4 out 1 in for him with Vuc on the high post passing it to him under the rim.
ezzzp
Head Coach

Post#1871 » by ezzzp » Thu Aug 15, 2019 5:00 pm

ezzzp
Head Coach

Post#1872 » by ezzzp » Thu Aug 15, 2019 5:08 pm

Evan Fournier ranked 7th amongst some pretty big names here:

John Schuhmann @johnschuhmann
Random Stat of the Day - The 27 players w/ at least 40 FGA to tie or take the lead in the final minute of the 4th quarter or OT over the last 5 seasons, sorted by FG%.

Optimus_Steel
RealGM
And1: 11,147

Post#1873 » by Optimus_Steel » Thu Aug 15, 2019 5:40 pm

LMAO look at Russell Westbrick.
aka: prorl
pepe1991
RealGM
And1: 16,268

Post#1874 » by pepe1991 » Thu Aug 15, 2019 5:55 pm

Poor Cousins...
Life is what happens when you're busy making other plans. -John Lennon
Blue_and_Whte
RealGM
And1: 9,237

Post#1875 » by Blue_and_Whte » Thu Aug 15, 2019 6:24 pm

basketballRob wrote:
Skybox wrote:
Blue_and_Whte wrote:I don’t think you’re correct. Motor was never a problem with Isaac, it was Mo’s which was his knock coming out of college. It manifested a lot over the course of the season prior to his injury.

There was absolutely talk about Isaac's motor and conditioning after last year's summer league and early last season. I remember disagreeing with someone after Isaac jogged down the floor.
Youre moving the goal posts, you mentioned bambas conditioning not Isaacs.i could see if someone mentioned the conditioning of an asthmatic in his first summer league. It was stated that he had asthma coming out of college but motor didn’t appear to be an issue. Even if someone said that he hasn’t shown a lack of motor in the NBA like Mo has.
Faith, Family, Basketball
#2A
#Adopt
3ddman23
General Manager
And1: 2,601

Post#1876 » by 3ddman23 » Thu Aug 15, 2019 8:10 pm

This is exactly where I see the magic being when jts all said and done. If they stay relatively health and we dont habe any drastic regression with individual players(vuc,ross,ag) then I dont see how we cant get into that 45-48 win total. People really underestimate how much bring the back the same team with the same coach a second year in a row for the first time in 7 years makes.
GO MAGIC
ezzzp
Head Coach

Post#1877 » by ezzzp » Thu Aug 15, 2019 8:17 pm

Read on Twitter
ezzzp
Head Coach

Post#1878 » by ezzzp » Thu Aug 15, 2019 8:32 pm

A couple of our boys made this list...deflections to foul ratio is a key ingredient to Clifford's defensive philosophy...Vucevic and Isaac being on this list is a big part of why Magic's defense was really good starting January last season. Players bought in to it and executed their role.

John Schuhmann @johnschuhmann
Random Stat of the Day - Highest ratio of (steals + blocks) / fouls committed, 2018-19.

drsd
RealGM
And1: 7,903

Post#1879 » by drsd » Thu Aug 15, 2019 9:30 pm

Optimus_Steel wrote:I have to consult with Issac Newton on this gravity stuff.

If F=MA and E=Mc2, then F/A=E/c2. Blows the mind!

It's actually a "touch" more complicated:
LINK: The Relationship between E = Mc2 and F = ma

OrlChamps2030
General Manager
And1: 4,158

Post#1880 » by OrlChamps2030 » Thu Aug 15, 2019 10:01 pm

yoyojw17 wrote:

Read on Twitter

Agreed. AG has superb athleticism and a good feel for the game when it comes to facing up and passing the ball.. his footwork is lacking behind those other areas.

With all the gravity around the rim he draws, better post moves = more trips to the free throw line, more double teams creating opportunities for others, more scoring opportunities

Return to Orlando Magic