ImageImageImageImage

Official Speculation Thread ‘19-'20 II: BIG as F

Moderators: Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL, UCF

MoMM
RealGM
And1: 1,715

Re: Official Speculation Thread ‘19-'20 II: BIG as F 

Post#41 » by MoMM » Wed Jun 26, 2019 5:53 pm

fendilim wrote:
Blue_and_Whte wrote:https://www.nba.com/amp/magic/orlando-magic-extend-qualifying-offers-khem-birch-amile-jefferson-20190625
Iwundu ranked first on the Magic and fifth overall in the NBA in field goal percentage allowed at 40.5 percenThat put him in the same company as Antetokounmpo (40.1 percent allowed), Denver’s Torrey Craig (39.8 percent allowed), Toronto’s Most Improved Player award winner Pascal Siakam (39.7 percent allowed) and Miami’s Derrick Jones Jr. (39.1 percent allowed).

If only he can outscore his opponent..

It's important to say that he plays against 2nd unit players, so they are worse than Gianis and Siakam's opponents.
The Real Dalic
RealGM
And1: 7,045

Post#42 » by The Real Dalic » Wed Jun 26, 2019 5:55 pm

basketballRob wrote:I'm looking for Bamba to dominate in summer league this year.

Is Bamba even playing in Summer League? I got the feeling he wasn't.
God. Family. Country. Basketball.
ezzzp
Head Coach
And1: 3,462

Post#43 » by ezzzp » Wed Jun 26, 2019 5:57 pm

OrlandoMagic wrote:
Popsicle1228 wrote:
OrlandoMagic wrote:

I honestly get what you are saying and even agree a little bit. But how many teams actually run their offense through the center position? Ross to me is an important player just because I do believe he is our bench scoring. Without him who scores in the second unit?

Without Vuc who scores on the 1st unit?

Within the first unit both Gordon and Fournier have shown they can score when given the opportunity. And you can almost make a case for Issac as he improves. It in our second unit you really can’t say this person or that person can. Or maybe you can? I just personally don’t see or would trust anyone in the second unit to score much. Now if we solely become a lock down defense with our second unit then scoring doesn’t matter as much.

Not really. Vucevic's gravity, screens and spacing were fundamental to both being able to get shots off.

Gordon has proven over and over that he can not break down set defenses with any consistency or efficiency. From 8' to the inside the 3PT line, he shot at an unacceptable 35%...not at low volume either, shots in that zone accounted for a quarter of his offense. One fourth of his offense was him being forced into low value shots that he shot very poorly. This wasn't an anomaly, its what we've seen from AG since Vogel put the ball in his hands. I would love it if he evolved into that, but we're heading into year 6 and its still doesn't look feasible.

That was with Vucevic (and often Ross) drawing most of the defenses attention.

Gordon's best offense comes off of opportunistic cuts and attacking broken defenses. Vucevic and Ross were the primary reasons that defenses bent; if you remove those two from the equation, there is no one on the roster that has any gravity at all. That's going to greatly impact the only offense that AG was semi effective at.

Fournier played secondary playmaker, but his penetration was highly reliant on running PnR/Pop type actions with Vucevic. Nobody on the roster replicates Vucevic's gravity in that dynamic. You take that away (like Toronto did in playoffs) and he loses most of his ability to break down set defenses.

DJ had a great year, but it would be a mistake to expect the same. His effectiveness was mostly off-ball as a lot of the offense was run through Fournier/Vucevic. As with Fournier and Gordon, a lot of DJ's quality opportunities will be negatively impacted. You'd have to put him in a more traditional PG role as the primary creator for others; thus allowing defenses to just focus on stopping him.

Its going to be a really really ugly offense if the Magic don't replace Vucevic with another player that they can run an offense through. Maybe Fultz is that guy, but right now that seems pretty doubtful.
magicman112
Head Coach
And1: 1,888

Post#44 » by magicman112 » Wed Jun 26, 2019 5:58 pm

The Real Dalic wrote:
basketballRob wrote:I'm looking for Bamba to dominate in summer league this year.

Yes he is playing he's on the roster. How much he'll play not sure would expect it'll be like last season play a few games and they'll shut him down.
basketballRob
RealGM
And1: 10,712

Post#45 » by basketballRob » Wed Jun 26, 2019 6:01 pm

magicman112 wrote:
The Real Dalic wrote:

Yes he is playing he's on the roster. How much he'll play not sure would expect it'll be like last season play a few games and they'll shut him down.
I'm sure people will be interested to see him go up against Bol so I'm sure he won't play that game.

Sent from my SM-G965U using RealGM mobile app
The Real Dalic
RealGM

Post#46 » by The Real Dalic » Wed Jun 26, 2019 6:03 pm

basketballRob wrote:
magicman112 wrote:
The Real Dalic wrote:Is Bamba even playing in Summer League? I got the feeling he wasn't.

I'm sure people will be interested to see him go up against Bol so I'm sure he won't play that game.

Awesome! Any chance one of you could tell me when game 1 is?
ezzzp
Head Coach

Post#47 » by ezzzp » Wed Jun 26, 2019 6:04 pm

bigdogdylan5 wrote:
OrlChamps2030 wrote:Anyone else feel like Brogdon on a 20+mill deal would be a disappointment on this team?

Unless people are talking about him as a fallback option if we can’t get DLo.. but otherwise I feel like DLo is a much better fit for this team

Brogdon has role player written all over him, he doesn’t break defenses down off the dribble or create his own shot. He looks a lot better next to the MVP than he does next to DJ Augustine imo

I don’t see that at all. He is a pretty good at attacking the basket and finishing and also has a good floater. He is more of a feet set shooter than a guy to shoot a lot off the dribble. DLo efficiency scares the **** out of me. Do we really believe he is any good or just got a lot of opportunities.

I like Brogdon a lot, but you have to contextualize every stat he has with Giannis Antetokounmpo:

Spoiler:
In Milwaukee, teams send double and triple teams to slow the Greek. Then they worry about Bledsoe's penetration and stay tight on Middleton's all over scoring threat. In the Bucks context, Brogdon is at best the 4th guy on opposing defenses' minds.

In an Orlando context, Brogdon won't have a fraction of the type of space and freedom of movement he has been accustomed to playing with. To clear cap space for Brogdon, the Magic have to renounce Vucevic and Ross. That's Orlando's top two gravity players.

In addition, while Brogdon can start at SG, he isn't a true PG. So, outside of the Fultz mystery, the Magic would still not have a long term answer at PG.

Brogdon plays mostly off ball and usually plays secondary creator...the same role as Fournier. In fact, Fournier has higher AST% than Brogdon (17.6 vs 16.9)...and that's with Brogdon feeding two top tier scorers.

Brogdon and Fournier are the same age, right now neither has that ability to shoot off-the-bounce effectively. That's why neither will likely be primary on-ball guys. Fournier is actually better and he's doing it in a much more difficult Orlando context.

• Last season on pull-up FGA's
Brogdon...overall 13-119 .361 eFG% and 16-60 .267 3P%
Fournier...overall 129-351 .425 eFG% and 40-129 .288 3P%

Where Brogdon excels, is in Catch and Shoot situations

• Last season in Catch and Shoot FGA's
Brogdon...overall 18-184 .712 eFG% and 86-181 .475 3P%
Fournier...overall 122-326 .540 eFG% and 40-129 .288 3P%

BUT this is obviously created by attention created by the Greek etc:

Only TWO of Malcolm Brogdon's 244 three point attempts were defended last season (defined by NBA as having a defender within 4ft). 197 of those looks were taken with the nearest defender at least 6ft away; he shot those a .467 3P%. Interestingly, the 45 were the nearest defender was 4-6ft away, his 3P% free fell to .311

For added context...Fournier on his wide open 3's shot .413 (92-223)...and that's on a career worst shooting season.

So. When gauging what $$$ to offer Brogdon, its important to realize that his numbers were greatly impacted by just getting a lot of easy looks.

You can see the difference in a true primary/secondary option and guys who are more suited for 3d and lower tier by looking at off-the-bounce offense and creation for others:

• Pull Up Shooting

Brogdon...overall 13-119 .361 eFG% and 16-60 .267 3P%
Russell....overall 324-794 .487 eFG% and 126-361 .349%
Fournier...overall 129-351 .425 eFG% and 40-129 .288 3P%

• Creation

Brogdon...16.9 AST%
Russell...41.3 AST%
Fournier...17.6 AST%
basketballRob
RealGM

Post#48 » by basketballRob » Wed Jun 26, 2019 6:19 pm

The Real Dalic wrote:
basketballRob wrote:
magicman112 wrote:

July 5th.

The Real Dalic
RealGM

Post#49 » by The Real Dalic » Wed Jun 26, 2019 6:28 pm

basketballRob wrote:
The Real Dalic wrote:
basketballRob wrote:I'm sure people will be interested to see him go up against Bol so I'm sure he won't play that game.

July 5th.

Awesome, thanks!
Nyce_1
RealGM
And1: 5,975

Post#50 » by Nyce_1 » Wed Jun 26, 2019 6:34 pm

The Real Dalic wrote:
basketballRob wrote:
magicman112 wrote:

Friday at 11pm eastern.
NotACat
Veteran
And1: 1,300

Post#51 » by NotACat » Wed Jun 26, 2019 6:36 pm

The Real Dalic wrote:
basketballRob wrote:
The Real Dalic wrote:Awesome! Any chance one of you could tell me when game 1 is?
July 5th.

Awesome, thanks!

July 5, 2019 Orlando San Antonio 11:00 p.m. NBA TV

July 7, 2019 Denver Orlando 6:00 p.m. NBATV

July 9, 2019 Miami Orlando 4:00 p.m. ESPN2

July 10, 2019 Orlando Brooklyn 5:30 p.m. ESPNU
Black Lives Matter
tiderulz
RealGM
And1: 14,104

Post#52 » by tiderulz » Wed Jun 26, 2019 7:26 pm

MoMM wrote:
fendilim wrote:

If only he can outscore his opponent..

It's important to say that he plays against 2nd unit players, so they are worse than Gianis and Siakam's opponents.

i think that argument is overblown. He started 14 games, we have no idea each night when he is coming in, either due to rotation, foul trouble, etc. And that also assumes that the other team is resting all of their starters, which most teams do not do. Many keep 2 starters on the floor. so that isnt JUST vs 2nd unit players.
basketballRob
RealGM

Post#53 » by basketballRob » Wed Jun 26, 2019 7:29 pm

Not sure Bamba will be ready he's still having fun in China. Just watched him and Steph Curry dancing and doing karaoke on his IG story is pretty funny.

Not sure if someone can post it here. I'm on my phone.

MoMM
RealGM

Post#54 » by MoMM » Wed Jun 26, 2019 8:20 pm

tiderulz wrote:
MoMM wrote:
fendilim wrote:If only he can outscore his opponent..

i think that argument is overblown. He started 14 games, we have no idea each night when he is coming in, either due to rotation, foul trouble, etc. And that also assumes that the other team is resting all of their starters, which most teams do not do. Many keep 2 starters on the floor. so that isnt JUST vs 2nd unit players.

Ok, but let's be fair, at least the % of the better opponents will be higher for Siakam and Gianis.
ezzzp
Head Coach

Post#55 » by ezzzp » Wed Jun 26, 2019 8:24 pm

Magic expected to have interest in Justin Holiday according to Ian Bagley:

Read on Twitter
tiderulz
RealGM

Post#56 » by tiderulz » Wed Jun 26, 2019 8:27 pm

MoMM wrote:
tiderulz wrote:
MoMM wrote:It's important to say that he plays against 2nd unit players, so they are worse than Gianis and Siakam's opponents.

Ok, but let's be fair, at least the % of the better opponents will be higher for Siakam and Gianis.

why would we put Iwundu on either of those?
tiderulz
RealGM

Post#57 » by tiderulz » Wed Jun 26, 2019 8:29 pm

ezzzp wrote:Magic expected to have interest in Justin Holiday according to Ian Bagley:

Read on Twitter

not a particular good player, but i guess he would improve the bench. I wouldnt spend a whole lot of money on him.
MoMM
RealGM

Post#58 » by MoMM » Wed Jun 26, 2019 8:36 pm

tiderulz wrote:
MoMM wrote:
tiderulz wrote:i think that argument is overblown. He started 14 games, we have no idea each night when he is coming in, either due to rotation, foul trouble, etc. And that also assumes that the other team is resting all of their starters, which most teams do not do. Many keep 2 starters on the floor. so that isnt JUST vs 2nd unit players.

why would we put Iwundu on either of those?

Not saying that Iwu should guard them, I'm just saying that the level of their opponents is higher. Siakam and Gianis could be guarding only starters during a game, however Iwu will guard 50/50 (starters vs backup) or whatever.
SD2042
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
And1: 2,413

Post#59 » by SD2042 » Wed Jun 26, 2019 10:16 pm

ezzzp wrote:Magic expected to have interest in Justin Holiday according to Ian Bagley:

Read on Twitter

Holiday drew some interest from the Kings once before the trade to Memphis earlier this year. He's a passable player, but underwhelming due to his issues of consistency.
Viper1500
Head Coach
And1: 2,700

Post#60 » by Viper1500 » Wed Jun 26, 2019 10:33 pm

I like the decision making from WeHAm so far. I don’t think they’d be stupid enough to sign Vuc and Ross to deals that are not trade-able. If you sign Vuc to 25m and Ross to 18m those are not trade able contracts. Just like Fournier is not a trade-able contract.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums

Return to Orlando Magic