ImageImageImageImage

Vucevic re-signs $100 million 4 year deal with Magic

Moderators: Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL, UCF

Optimus_Steel
RealGM
And1: 11,133

Re: Vucevic re-signs $100 million 4 year deal with Magic 

Post#561 » by Optimus_Steel » Wed Jul 3, 2019 8:50 pm

fendilim wrote:Honestly, its a damn you do, damn you dont type of situation with these guys.

I bet these will be the same guys who would criticize us had we let go of vuc and tross for nothing.
Yes they would have. They have a bias towards teams that are contenders.
aka: prorl
MagicMatic
RealGM
And1: 12,830

Post#562 » by MagicMatic » Wed Jul 3, 2019 10:15 pm

Optimus_Steel wrote:
fendilim wrote:Honestly, its a damn you do, damn you dont type of situation with these guys.

I bet these will be the same guys who would criticize us had we let go of vuc and tross for nothing.

Is Orlando a “contender”?
Optimus_Steel
RealGM
And1: 11,133

Post#563 » by Optimus_Steel » Thu Jul 4, 2019 2:49 pm

MagicMatic wrote:
Optimus_Steel wrote:

Is Orlando a “contender”?
You misunderstood. They give contenders like Philly the benefit of the doubt and non contenders like us they dismiss.
aka: prorl
AshBlackstone
Senior
And1: 221

Post#564 » by AshBlackstone » Thu Jul 4, 2019 3:06 pm

MagicMatic wrote:

I’m glad they chose a direction. Again, completely dictated by a timeframe they boxed themselves into. 3 years into their tenure we can now accurately assess whether their moves make sense with their objectives.

Acquiring PF depth and adding a role playing F weren’t the missing pieces that were keeping this club from competing in the postseason, if they are selling that as their primary objective. There might be a bigger play at hand. Then again, they could also not have a real plan other than just waiting to see if Fultz pans out. I wouldn’t put either scenario past them.

Not to nitpick, but they’re only 2 years into their tenure.

And I wouldn’t say they boxed themselves into this situation. I’d say they’re cleaning up a pretty big mess left by Rob Hennigan, and doing about the best job anyone could hope for so far.
MagicMatic
RealGM

Post#565 » by MagicMatic » Thu Jul 4, 2019 4:26 pm

AshBlackstone wrote:
MagicMatic wrote:

I’m glad they chose a direction. Again, completely dictated by a timeframe they boxed themselves into. 3 years into their tenure we can now accurately assess whether their moves make sense with their objectives.

Acquiring PF depth and adding a role playing F weren’t the missing pieces that were keeping this club from competing in the postseason, if they are selling that as their primary objective. There might be a bigger play at hand. Then again, they could also not have a real plan other than just waiting to see if Fultz pans out. I wouldn’t put either scenario past them.

And I wouldn’t say they boxed themselves into this situation. I’d say they’re cleaning up a pretty big mess left by Rob Hennigan, and doing about the best job anyone could hope for so far.

3 off seasons. Better? Cleaning up Hennigans mess? This will be another season of rolling out his roster sans Isaac. They have let time dictate every decision they’ve made. Point to a decision they’ve made “cleaning up” Hennigans mess other than trading Elfrid and drafting “BPA”.
fendilim
RealGM
And1: 5,008

Post#566 » by fendilim » Thu Jul 4, 2019 4:32 pm

MagicMatic wrote:
AshBlackstone wrote:
MagicMatic wrote:

3 off seasons. Better? Cleaning up Hennigans mess? This will be another season of rolling out his roster sans Isaac. They have let time dictate every decision they’ve made. Point to a decision they’ve made “cleaning up” Hennigans mess other than trading Elfrid and drafting “BPA”.
tbh, like i've said in the past, i doubt they were brought in to clean up henni's mess. In fact, they were brought in to do the raptors style of re-building where they tried to acquire high character guys which led to the raptors rise. Weltman likes to tell the story of John Salmons when they acquired him. .. lol
OrlandO
RealGM
And1: 16,421

Post#567 » by OrlandO » Thu Jul 4, 2019 5:23 pm

MagicMatic wrote:
OrlandO wrote:
bigmoe1952 wrote:This new regime is Hennigan 2.

Hennigan? You mean the guy who fostered a losing culture by being too incompetent to make his pieces fit, gave away two of our best players when we started trending up, spent 20% of our cap on a third stringer, gave Jeff Green $15 million, and failed to make the playoffs in five years? If you think Weltman is the same then you're not paying attention.

"After making impressive strides over the past year, the Magic and Kings took a couple of steps backward in free agency with some bizarre signings earlier this week. Orlando’s front office all but built an artificial ceiling on its future by signing Nikola Vucevic (four-year, $100M), Terrence Ross (four-year, $54M) and Al-Farouq Aminu (three-year, $29M) to long-term deals.

I have a ton of questions for Magic GM John Hammond: How is Vucevic worth double what Brook Lopez is worth (four-year, $52M) in today’s NBA? (Hint: He isn’t -– don’t look at the playoff stats if you’re a Magic fan.) Are you giving up on Mo Bamba already? Would you rather pay Ross $13.5M per year for four years or Jeremy Lamb $10.3M per year for three years? ( Lamb is probably better .) Finally, why did you bring in Aminu to take minutes from Aaron Gordon and Jonathan Isaac? If he never develops a jump shot, isn’t Jonathan Isaac basically Aminu? (They’re damn near clones of each other through Isaac’s first two seasons.) Enjoy competing for the seven and eight seeds the next four seasons, Magic fans!"

Article Translation: "After making impressive strides over the past year, why didn't the Magic take steps back by renouncing the two players most responsible for those strides? Why did they pay fair market value for their all-star and sixth man of the year candidate? Even though they made the 7th seed this past season, their roster full of 21-23 year olds will never improve to help the team get a higher standing. Jonathan Isaac is a finished product at 21. I once wrote that Mo Bamba is as raw as it gets and won't make an impact on a team until at least 2 years from now, but now I don't understand why the Magic would want to bring him along slowly in role that makes sense for him and one that he can actually excel in. I'm too lazy to imagine a scenario where the Magic consolidate assets to upgrade their team. I am a clown who doesn't watch the Magic."

Wow this article from a random writer really triggered you to write all this...

To be fair, a lot of Magic fans that did watch most (if not all) games last season are asking the same questions. Are you going to discredit those fans as well?

The last part of what you wrote I agree with. There is a trade coming, because that would be the only logical explanation to the moves that have been made to an 8th or 7th seed at best.

You mean the debbie downers who crap on everything and move the goalposts when they're proven wrong? I'm not surprised their views align with a random blogger who doesn't follow the Magic... I think that's hilarious, actually.
MagicMatic
RealGM

Post#568 » by MagicMatic » Thu Jul 4, 2019 5:49 pm

OrlandO wrote:
MagicMatic wrote:
OrlandO wrote:Hennigan? You mean the guy who fostered a losing culture by being too incompetent to make his pieces fit, gave away two of our best players when we started trending up, spent 20% of our cap on a third stringer, gave Jeff Green $15 million, and failed to make the playoffs in five years? If you think Weltman is the same then you're not paying attention.

Article Translation: "After making impressive strides over the past year, why didn't the Magic take steps back by renouncing the two players most responsible for those strides? Why did they pay fair market value for their all-star and sixth man of the year candidate? Even though they made the 7th seed this past season, their roster full of 21-23 year olds will never improve to help the team get a higher standing. Jonathan Isaac is a finished product at 21. I once wrote that Mo Bamba is as raw as it gets and won't make an impact on a team until at least 2 years from now, but now I don't understand why the Magic would want to bring him along slowly in role that makes sense for him and one that he can actually excel in. I'm too lazy to imagine a scenario where the Magic consolidate assets to upgrade their team. I am a clown who doesn't watch the Magic."

To be fair, a lot of Magic fans that did watch most (if not all) games last season are asking the same questions. Are you going to discredit those fans as well?

The last part of what you wrote I agree with. There is a trade coming, because that would be the only logical explanation to the moves that have been made to an 8th or 7th seed at best.

You mean the debbie downers who crap on everything and move the goalposts when they're proven wrong? I'm not surprised their views align with a random blogger who doesn't follow the Magic... I think that's hilarious, actually.

You would. Then again, not all of us can be unabashed homers that question others when they aren’t 100% backing questionable moves made by a slow acting FO. But hey, there’s fans of everything. I don’t think all of their moves have been bad. The article raises fair questions though, regardless of what the small percentage of homer fans might want to believe or tell themselves.
OrlandO
RealGM
And1: 16,421

Post#569 » by OrlandO » Thu Jul 4, 2019 7:31 pm

MagicMatic wrote:
OrlandO wrote:
MagicMatic wrote:

You would. Then again, not all of us can be unabashed homers that question others when they aren’t 100% backing questionable moves made by a slow acting FO. But hey, there’s fans of everything. I don’t think all of their moves have been bad. The article raises fair questions though, regardless of what the small percentage of homer fans might want to believe or tell themselves.

Being called a homer by a "fan" who hates the team is a compliment... :lol:
MagicMatic
RealGM

Post#570 » by MagicMatic » Thu Jul 4, 2019 7:35 pm

OrlandO wrote:
MagicMatic wrote:
OrlandO wrote:You mean the debbie downers who crap on everything and move the goalposts when they're proven wrong? I'm not surprised their views align with a random blogger who doesn't follow the Magic... I think that's hilarious, actually.

Keep thinking that. I’m sure you’ll love every move they make moving forward regardless of critical thinking or making your own assessments. I just said I didn’t hate all their moves. You are just ready to get your torch out when someone isn’t being delusional enough to back everything blindly.
ezzzp
Head Coach
And1: 3,462

Post#571 » by ezzzp » Thu Jul 4, 2019 7:56 pm

bigmoe1952 wrote:The following is from an article on Yardbarker. It says pretty much what I said on here a couple of days ago. This new regime is Hennigan 2.

After making impressive strides over the past year, the Magic and Kings took a couple of steps backward in free agency with some bizarre signings earlier this week. Orlando’s front office all but built an artificial ceiling on its future by signing Nikola Vucevic (four-year, $100M), Terrence Ross (four-year, $54M) and Al-Farouq Aminu (three-year, $29M) to long-term deals.

I have a ton of questions for Magic GM John Hammond: How is Vucevic worth double what Brook Lopez is worth (four-year, $52M) in today’s NBA? (Hint: He isn’t -– don’t look at the playoff stats if you’re a Magic fan.) Are you giving up on Mo Bamba already? Would you rather pay Ross $13.5M per year for four years or Jeremy Lamb $10.3M per year for three years? ( Lamb is probably better .) Finally, why did you bring in Aminu to take minutes from Aaron Gordon and Jonathan Isaac? If he never develops a jump shot, isn’t Jonathan Isaac basically Aminu? (They’re damn near clones of each other through Isaac’s first two seasons.) Enjoy competing for the seven and eight seeds the next four seasons, Magic fans!

What? Yeesh that's not even close.

Hennigan was a reckless fool trying to skip steps and thought he could outsmart system (tanking + dumping assets to chase 3 max free agents) - his BS left the franchise in flames. WelHam are methodical, experienced and proven. They have a philosophy and are executing it...its the same approach they used in building Milwaukee and Toronto, two contenders.

Also that article is just dumb...

How is Vucevic worth double Lopez? How about that Lopez was a 5th option guy with whomever else is on the floor carrying the team...all his role was to wait on fringes for wide open shots. Vucevic was top 10 in nearly every single advanced metric available while being the #1 option carrying the team on his back.

Nobody is giving up on Bamba, they just aren't ignorant to how player development works and the timeline for how long it takes physically underdeveloped and raw skilled bigs to develop. Not to mention that handing the keys to Bamba would hurt the development of the rest of the young core.

First of all the Magic had Ross' Bird Rights that allowed them to keep him over the cap (they had no such thing with Lamb) + continuity matters. Second, Lamb is NOT better than Ross. They're very similar except that Ross is much better off-the-bounce, hence not reliant on others to create for him + played a more important role on a playoff team than Lamb did on a lottery one.

Spoiler:
Pull-up FGA's

Ross: 394 at .485 eFG% / 3PA: 172 at .384 3P%
Lamb: 314 at .457 eFG% / 3PA: 101 at .267 3P%

Pick and Roll Ball-Handler

Ross: 263 possessions / 1.04 PPP / .529 eFG% / ranked top 93.6 percentile in all NBA at this play
Lamb: 284 possessions / 0.92 PPP / .434 eFG% / ranked top 73.6 percentile in all NBA at this play

Catch and Shoot FGA's

Lamb: 240 at .577 eFG% / 3PA: 115 at .348 3P%
Ross: 493 at .569 eFG% / 3PA: 381 at .386 3P%

There are 96 minutes available at the forward spot...that's 32 mpg each for Gordon/Isaac/Aminu if they all stay healthy...if/when Okeke returns, he'll get worked into that rotation slowly. Iwundu is the one that will have to battle for SF minutes if everyone stays healthy.

FYI...that same Yardbarker aggregator posted this article as well...

USA TODAY

Winner: Orlando Magic

Retaining star center Nikola Vucevic at less than the max ($100 million over four seasons) was absolutely huge for a Magic team that’s coming off a surprising playoff appearance. Vucevic, 28, had the best season of his career under first-year head coach Steve Clifford last season. He averaged 20.8 points and 12.0 rebounds while shooting 52% from the field.

This move also enabled Orlando retain an impressive Terrance Ross on a team-friendly deal while adding a solid rotation piece in Al-Farouq Aminu from the Portland Trail Blazers in free agency. While the Magic can’t be considered top-end contenders in the East, they made some solid moves on Day 1 of free agency.
ezzzp
Head Coach

Post#572 » by ezzzp » Thu Jul 4, 2019 8:19 pm

MagicMatic wrote:
OrlandO wrote:
MagicMatic wrote:

Keep thinking that. I’m sure you’ll love every move they make moving forward regardless of critical thinking or making your own assessments. I just said I didn’t hate all their moves. You are just ready to get your torch out when someone isn’t being delusional enough to back everything blindly.

Critical thinking is why he has those perspectives.

You on the other hand are incessantly throwing shade on everything Magic...lmao you even found a way to s**t on the Magic making the playoffs. If its trashing the Magic you are either the first in line or the instigator.

Meanwhile you are also the first in line to praise anything the media tells you to think is good in NBA. LMAO you were calling Atlanta the new GSW's because the meme machine was telling you to think that. I'd say it is your POV on the Magic that often demonstrates a susceptibility to easy manipulation and misunderstanding of what is occurring due to a lack of criticality and inexperience.

...and that article was garbage, obviously aggregated and written by person who doesn't watch the Magic
MagicFan101
RealGM
And1: 6,498

Post#573 » by MagicFan101 » Thu Jul 4, 2019 8:23 pm

I have a question for those upset over the lack of attention to the PG spot this offseason.

Who did you want? I just don’t see anything out there worth the $$$ given we still have to figure out what Fultz can be.

There were really only 3 names I see has major improvement pieces.

1) Kyrie Irving:
He wasn’t leaving Boston for Orlando

2) Kemba Walker:
People overstated the relationship with Cliff. He wasn’t leaving Charlotte for Orlando.

3) Deangelo Russell:
This one was interesting to me. However, he ended up taking a sign-and-trade for Kevin Frickin Durant! Nope, we were not going to be able to compete with that.

So who else is there? Other names that cross my mind got PAID!! and offer limited improvement. A fully healthy Fultz has far more upside that the likes of a Terry Rozier. I would rather test Fultz for one season than pay Rozier $58M over 3 years.

Come January we could still consolidate some of our young big man assets for a run at Russell ... if Fultz clearly isn’t returning.

We have options.
Knightro
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 24,154

Post#574 » by Knightro » Thu Jul 4, 2019 8:35 pm

MagicFan101 wrote:I have a question for those upset over the lack of attention to the PG spot this offseason.

Who did you want? I just don’t see anything out there worth the $$$ given we still have to figure out what Fultz can be.

1) Kyrie Irving:

2) Kemba Walker:
People overstated the relationship with Cliff. He wasn’t leaving Charlotte for Orlando.

3) Deangelo Russell:
This one was interesting to me. However, he ended up taking a sign-and-trade for Kevin Frickin Durant! Nope, we were not going to be able to compete with that.

So who else is there? Other names that cross my mind got PAID!! and offer limited improvement. A fully healthy Fultz has far more upside that the likes of a Terry Rozier. I would rather test Fultz for one season than pay Rozier $58M over 3 years.

Come January we could still consolidate some of our young big man assets for a run at Russell ... if Fultz clearly isn’t returning.

We have options.

There are a lot of posters on this board that would have been 100% fine with letting Vucevic and Ross walk, stretching Mozgov to gain additional cap space and then signing Russell outright IMO.
MagicMatic
RealGM

Post#575 » by MagicMatic » Thu Jul 4, 2019 8:39 pm

ezzzp wrote:
MagicMatic wrote:
OrlandO wrote:Being called a homer by a "fan" who hates the team is a compliment... :lol:

Critical thinking is why he has those perspectives.

You on the other hand are incessantly throwing shade on everything Magic...lmao you even found a way to s**t on the Magic making the playoffs. If its trashing the Magic you are either the first in line or the instigator.

Meanwhile you are also the first in line to praise anything the media tells you to think is good in NBA. LMAO you were calling Atlanta the new GSW's because the meme machine was telling you to think that. I'd say it is your POV on the Magic that often demonstrates a susceptibility to easy manipulation and misunderstanding of what is occurring due to a lack of criticality and inexperience.

...and that article was garbage, obviously aggregated and written by person who doesn't watch the Magic

On the other side of the coin you are the first to praise and rationalize every single move the FO makes, or doesn’t make, regardless of if it even makes sense.

I’ve already stated on this very page I didn’t hate all their decisions. Okeke? sure. Clifford? ok. Not massively overpaying AG? cool. Fultz gamble? we’ll see. That’s it. I wouldn’t call that trashing their every move. But that’s the agenda people choose to paint with.

I’m not even saying I 100% agree with the article, just that it raises questions that I’m sure people, even diehard Magic fans, will have. Then again, I wouldn’t expect that article to have a positive reaction to people that spend a lot of time posting on a Magic basketball forum and think that WeHam could do no wrong.
yoyojw17
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,090

Post#576 » by yoyojw17 » Thu Jul 4, 2019 8:45 pm

Bakomagic wrote:
MagicMatic wrote:
OrlandO wrote:Hennigan? You mean the guy who fostered a losing culture by being too incompetent to make his pieces fit, gave away two of our best players when we started trending up, spent 20% of our cap on a third stringer, gave Jeff Green $15 million, and failed to make the playoffs in five years? If you think Weltman is the same then you're not paying attention.

The whole premise of the article seems off though doesn't it ?

the writer admits we made strides this year and the biggest reasons were, we played better defensively, while Vuc kept us in games offensively and TRoss finishing the team off in the fourth. So we took steps back by bringing our two best Offensive players back ?

We did not lose anyone of value and gained another good defender in Amino who has playoff experience.

The whole treadmill thing is BS, we didn't trade Bamba or any of our young players to make room for Free Agents. They are here, they will get the opportunity to show Clifford that they deserve to have bigger roles on the team and cliff will play the best player.

maybe the writer is worried about the loss of Jerian Grant ?

The thing that the article doesn't realize is that Vuc and Ross are the Foundation of our success.... and the investments in Isaac, Bamba, Fultz, and Okeke are the time sensitive additions that will make our upgrades when they come to fruition. Isaac and bamba mainly because of physical maturity and fultz and okeke because of health. So... if you ignore that or don't believe in their future success...then we look as though we paid all this money for zero improvement. Taking into consideration the very good possibility that WeHam believes in the eventual success of their investments... we have phase 2 of this construction coming into play.

THEY KNOW what they have in Ross and Vuc and trust what they can build upon them. Shuffling the deck with new players could introduce chemistry problems etc. Consistency between these two seasons ... by keeping 2 of the leaders of this team can be important to our future success.
ezzzp
Head Coach

Post#577 » by ezzzp » Thu Jul 4, 2019 8:56 pm

Knightro wrote:There are a lot of posters on this board that would have been 100% fine with letting Vucevic and Ross walk, stretching Mozgov to gain additional cap space and then signing Russell outright IMO.

That was fantasy though...even if Magic cleared cap for him it was an extreme long shot he even glanced at Orlando.

Minnesota was prepared to move assets to sign him to a max, offered him a starting role AND their franchise player is his best friend...and he still didn't pick them. Phoenix was prepared to offer him a full max and hand him a starting role. Lakers, Knicks, Indiana, Boston etc were also interested, he had a ton of options. To think that all it took was for the Magic to get him was to just clear cap space was unrealistic from the start.
MagicFan101
RealGM
And1: 6,498

Post#578 » by MagicFan101 » Thu Jul 4, 2019 9:12 pm

Knightro wrote:
MagicFan101 wrote:I have a question for those upset over the lack of attention to the PG spot this offseason.

1) Kyrie Irving:

2) Kemba Walker:

3) Deangelo Russell:

We have options.

There are a lot of posters on this board that would have been 100% fine with letting Vucevic and Ross walk, stretching Mozgov to gain additional cap space and then signing Russell outright IMO.

A max deal for Russell from anyone but the Nets would be 4 years and $117M. That is EXACTLY what he got in the agreed upon deal and now he gets to go to Golden State.

We would have had to throw away some of our top assets and hope that Russell would pick Orlando over GS for the same money. Sure, Orlando offers a more clear path to playing but GS is likely looking to trade him soon. If his ultimate goal is to land in Minny with KAT then GS makes sense.

Regardless ... was it worth the risk at that point?

I say no. Let him go to GS and if we really want him then make a run at a trade offer.
Knightro
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 24,154

Post#579 » by Knightro » Thu Jul 4, 2019 9:14 pm

ezzzp wrote:That was fantasy though...even if Magic cleared cap for him it was an extreme long shot he even glanced at Orlando.

Minnesota was prepared to move assets to sign him to a max, offered him a starting role AND their franchise player is his best friend...and he still didn't pick them. Phoenix was prepared to offer him a full max and hand him a starting role. Lakers, Knicks, Indiana, Boston etc were also interested, he had a ton of options. To think that all it took was for the Magic to get him was to just clear cap space was unrealistic from the start.

No arguments from me on that. It would have been very difficult to land Russell.

I just think letting Vucevic and Ross go in favor of a full blown youth movement was something a lot of fans would have been totally ok with. Whether they had landed a big fish with the free agency dollars or not.
The Effect
Magic Forum Mock Draft Co-Champ
And1: 2,053

Post#580 » by The Effect » Thu Jul 4, 2019 11:22 pm

1) Kyrie Irving:

2) Kemba Walker:

3) Deangelo Russell:

We have options.

For the exact same contract, i would MUCH rather have George Hill Than Aminu
Seth Curry for less would be nice too
Satoransky would be a nice option for the same deal as aminu
Best of all would be to add a little to aminus deal and sign Lou Williams. If Fultz is a bust, WIlliams is the perfect PG for what our team is trying to do, and if fultz is THE MAN, then imagine that bench with Ross and Lou

But my problem is, if management knew last month that they were going sign aminu, then i think it was a huge mistake to draft Okeke at 16. They will fill the same role, except that AMinu will have a head start as he will actually play this year. If you knew you were signing him (considering how fast they signed him, im sure they knew he was theres all along), then 16 should of been used on a guard, most likely a PG. If Fultz develops, you potential have a great 1-2, and you give yourself insurance incase Fultz never recovers. Like maybe trade down and pick up Carson Edwards, or keep the 2nd rounder (instead of giving it away for nothing) and draft someone like Hands. Either way, its pretty foolish to completely ignore the PG this off season the way they did

Return to Orlando Magic