ImageImageImageImage

Summer League Game 4 Magic Vs. Nets

Moderators: UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL

Howard Mass
Site Admin
Site Admin
And1: 15,654

Summer League Game 4 Magic Vs. Nets 

Post#1 » by Howard Mass » Wed Jul 10, 2019 9:19 pm

This is the game thread.
R.I.P. Dharam Raghubir (A.K.A. Magnumt)

:beer:
j-ragg
RealGM
And1: 11,652

Re: Summer League Game 4 Magic Vs. Nets 

Post#2 » by j-ragg » Wed Jul 10, 2019 9:34 pm

I wonder why BJ Taylor never plays.
BadMofoPimp wrote:Durant thinks Vooch is one of the Best Centers in the NBA. I will take his word over a couch-GM yelling at a TV.
magicman112
Head Coach
And1: 1,888

Post#3 » by magicman112 » Wed Jul 10, 2019 10:02 pm

j-ragg wrote:I wonder why BJ Taylor never plays.

No idea not like the PGs I've seen play have been great or anything. Just saw one that can't even make a layup for chrissake.
basketballRob
RealGM
And1: 10,720

Post#4 » by basketballRob » Wed Jul 10, 2019 10:09 pm

Jeffries still hot from 3

Sent from my SM-G965U using RealGM mobile app
magicman112
Head Coach
And1: 1,888

Post#5 » by magicman112 » Wed Jul 10, 2019 10:12 pm

Making this little white dude on the Nets look like a superstar
MagicMatic
RealGM
And1: 12,973

Post#6 » by MagicMatic » Wed Jul 10, 2019 10:48 pm

So Jeffries is really the only point of watching summer league now? Is he really the only one that could possibly make the team?
Knightro
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 24,360

Post#7 » by Knightro » Wed Jul 10, 2019 10:58 pm

MagicMatic wrote:So Jeffries is really the only point of watching summer league now? Is he really the only one that could possibly make the team?

Seems like it. Jefferson could get another two-way.
3ddman23
General Manager
And1: 2,614

Post#8 » by 3ddman23 » Wed Jul 10, 2019 11:03 pm

Bj Taylor finally getting some burn!!!
GO MAGIC
j-ragg
RealGM
And1: 11,652

Post#9 » by j-ragg » Wed Jul 10, 2019 11:13 pm

Amile Jefferson has the most old man game I’ve maybe ever seen from a young player.
BadMofoPimp wrote:Durant thinks Vooch is one of the Best Centers in the NBA. I will take his word over a couch-GM yelling at a TV.
Nightman
Pro Prospect
And1: 1,056

Post#10 » by Nightman » Thu Jul 11, 2019 1:33 am

Jeffries definitely has some flaws in his game, but with his athleticism he’ll be able to carve out a small role in the NBA as a 3&D player if he can keep shooting well.
drsd
RealGM
And1: 7,924

Post#11 » by drsd » Thu Jul 11, 2019 2:38 pm

Jefferson and Jeffries both hurt their respective standing in this game. Playing inefficient basketball against semi-pros is not a path to an NBA contract, in my opinion.

Knightro
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic

Post#12 » by Knightro » Thu Jul 11, 2019 3:09 pm

drsd wrote:Jefferson and Jeffries both hurt their respective standing in this game. Playing inefficient basketball against semi-pros is not a path to an NBA contract, in my opinion.

Shouldn't read too much into anyone's actual summer league stats.

It's way more about traits and how well a player takes coaching.

Judging anyone on 4 games, good or bad, is just a mistake. There's not enough data. Percentages and averages can fluctuate too wildly on such a small sample size.
drsd
RealGM

Post#13 » by drsd » Thu Jul 11, 2019 3:45 pm

Knightro wrote:Shouldn't read too much into anyone's actual summer league stats.

Judging anyone on 4 games, good or bad, is just a mistake. There's not enough data. Percentages and averages can fluctuate too wildly on such a small sample size.

Respectfully I could not agree less. If an NBA-caliber player is playing in a pro-am league, they should ALWAYS dominate. In this one game, I did not see dominance by these two individuals.

My point: whether Jefferson and Jeffries, or someone else, I now have no idea who next year's two 2-way Lakeland players will be.

Xatticus
Head Coach
And1: 7,960

Post#14 » by Xatticus » Thu Jul 11, 2019 4:44 pm

drsd wrote:
Knightro wrote:Shouldn't read too much into anyone's actual summer league stats.

Respectfully I could not agree less. If an NBA-caliber player is playing in a pro-am league, they should ALWAYS dominate. In this one game, I did not see dominance by these two individuals.

My point: whether Jefferson and Jeffries, or someone else, I now have no idea who next year's two 2-way Lakeland players will be.

Amile Jefferson is not a prospect. He is 26 years old. He is about 6 months younger than Evan Fournier. I have no idea why we used a two-way contract on him last year.

I was really dismissive of summer league performances until some German guy that the Mavericks picked up in the draft dominated. He turned out pretty well.

Summer league stats aren't enough to legitimize or condemn a prospect, but I think it should be obvious enough that you'd rather see your prospects do well against that level of competition. That said, I think you are inferring way too much from yesterday's game.
"Xatticus has always been, in my humble opinion best poster here. Should write articles or something."
-pepe1991
Knightro
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic

Post#15 » by Knightro » Thu Jul 11, 2019 5:05 pm

drsd wrote:Respectfully I could not agree less. If an NBA-caliber player is playing in a pro-am league, they should ALWAYS dominate. In this one game, I did not see dominance by these two individuals.

Respectfully, you are just reading way too much into what amounts to glorified scrimmages where guys are working on different elements of their games.

What about the game before when Jeffries went 5-6 from three and Jefferson looked like prime Tim Duncan? Those performances didn't really matter either, ya know?

Think of summer league like spring training in baseball. Pitchers go there to build up their arm strength or work on different pitches they are trying to develop. Hitters go there to work on new launch angles and stances. When you're doing new things, the results are often ugly, but that's why the stats don't matter.

Coaches put guys in positions they've never been put in before just to see how the react. They ask them to do things they've never done before and see how they respond to failure.

For what it's worth, Jeffries played power forward in college and is now transitioning to being a full time wing player. There's gonna be tough moments.

Beyond that, he was an undrafted player. The league apparently felt there were at least 60 guys better than him in this draft class. Just because some of us think he has the athleticism and skill set to earn a spot as the 15th man on a 15 man roster doesn't mean he should absolutely dominate every summer league game he steps on the floor for. That's unrealistic and silly.
Audi
Analyst
And1: 2,783

Post#16 » by Audi » Thu Jul 11, 2019 5:33 pm

Knightro wrote:
drsd wrote:Respectfully I could not agree less. If an NBA-caliber player is playing in a pro-am league, they should ALWAYS dominate. In this one game, I did not see dominance by these two individuals.

Respectfully, you are just reading way too much into what amounts to glorified scrimmages where guys are working on different elements of their games.

What about the game before when Jeffries went 5-6 from three and Jefferson looked like prime Tim Duncan? Those performances didn't really matter either, ya know?

Think of summer league like spring training in baseball. Pitchers go there to build up their arm strength or work on different pitches they are trying to develop. Hitters go there to work on new launch angles and stances. When you're doing new things, the results are often ugly, but that's why the stats don't matter.

Coaches put guys in positions they've never been put in before just to see how the react. They ask them to do things they've never done before and see how they respond to failure.

For what it's worth, Jeffries played power forward in college and is now transitioning to being a full time wing player. There's gonna be tough moments.

Beyond that, he was an undrafted player. The league apparently felt there were at least 60 guys better than him in this draft class. Just because some of us think he has the athleticism and skill set to earn a spot as the 15th man on a 15 man roster doesn't mean he should absolutely dominate every summer league game he steps on the floor for. That's unrealistic and silly.

Agree with everything but the bold. For the majority of the guys on SL rosters, using summer league as a scrimmage to work on aspects of their game is the last thing they are attempting. Rather, how they perform on the court can be a determining factor in whether or not they take the next step into a professional basketball career in some degree. For most of these players, it's a big deal. That's why I have zero issue with high draft picks or established 2nd year guys like Mo sitting out SL.. to them it is a glorified scrimmage, which makes it nothing but a liability putting them out there with guys playing hard to make something out of themselves.
Abra Cadabra, Razzmatazz, Slam-Dunk Sesame, Hocus Pocus, Alacazam, Gonna set the spirit free
Keeping The Original Orlando Magic Theme Song Alive
drsd
RealGM

Post#17 » by drsd » Thu Jul 11, 2019 5:49 pm

Taking a pause to Stat watch:

Jackson, Frank on 30 ppg in only one game played
Walker IV, Lonnie on 30 ppg in two games played
Alexander-Walker, Nickeil on 24.5 ppg in two games played
Boucher, Chris on 22.7 ppg in three games played
Clemons, Chris on 22.3 ppg in three games played