ImageImageImageImage

Should we trade for Paul?

Moderators: UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL

Skin
RealGM
And1: 8,631

Re: Should we trade for Paul? 

Post#61 » by Skin » Sun Jul 14, 2019 6:04 pm

ezzzp wrote:
Skin wrote:1) One way to increase shooting efficiency is to have a PG who knows how to set them up with clean looks.

2) Vuc has been injury riddled as well. Fair swap.

3) Our players are all very mature except Vuc and Fournier who have had open displays of teammate disapproval in the past. Nobody is getting unfairly entitled.

4) "PG is important"... we both agree.

5) Even when he felt that way in NOR it never negatively affected his teammates or his effort on the floor. CP3 likes being in charge. That's why Harden was upset with him. Leadership is what we need. ORL is an upgrade over OKC and if he were to be traded here that'd be a sign that there wasn't a better situation out there for him. So he can't complain.

6) Hypothetical assumption.

7) Okeke could be groomed to play the 2 in the 3 and D mold, but I must reinforce that it'd be much more possible next to Paul than it would be next to Augustin.

8) Birch gives more value per dollar than Vuc does. Not worried about him playing 20+ mpg and feeling like we are in a situation where we couldn't win the game.
Besides, Bamba... Aminu and Isaac can also play C.

Fun, fast, long, athletic, balanced and smart bball. That's fun.

Right now we are a slow, Center-centric, half court team with an unbalanced roster forcing off ball scorers to be dynamic scorers and everyone is out for their own during their contract seasons. That's not fun.

1) Except that teams already don't defend those guys...they've been getting really clean wide open looks anyhow.

What you are talking about is increasing lob/cut dunks (aka highlights). BUT you need floor spacers for that to work. Your trade sends away the two top gravity points in the starting unit and pushes the best 3PT shooter on the team (DJ) to the bench PLUS inserts a 3d ineffective shooting front court player who also wants to dive into the already crowded paint.

2) Chris Paul is already 34, Vucevic is still 28 and has had no chronic injuries. Paul is owed $124m from 34-36...Vucevic is owed $100m through his prime. That's not even remotely close to a fair swap.

3) What? Your making up things again.

4) Nah, we agree that PG is important, BUT you are putting the PG role into a crazily precarious situation + weakening 2 other positions + putting the cap outlook in serious jeopardy all while hoping that a declining and chronically injured 34 year old stays healthy.

5) CP3 just wants things done his way or he creates drama - that's not leadership, that's a diva leveraging. Its why he has created chemistry issues and left disarray on every team he's been on.

6) His decline is not an assumption:

14-15 (29): 6.9 VORP / 26.0 PER / 16.1 WINSHARES
15-16 (30): 6.0 VORP / 26.2 PER / 12.7 WINSHARES
16-17 (31): 5.3 VORP / 26.2 PER / 10.6 WINSHARES
17-18 (32): 4.2 VORP / 24.4 PER / 10.2 WINSHARES
18-19 (33): 2.4 VORP / 19.7 PER / 6.3 WINSHARES

7) Okeke starting at SG is a pretty big stretch. I don't see him able to defend speedy guards full time.

8) Birch does NOT give more value per dollar than Vucevic...that's ridiculous, he plays a 5th option role vs bench units. He's a fine back up, but that's it. Vucevic is a very effective versatile C and #1 option vs starters. Your undervaluing of Vucevic is just absolutely ridiculous. LMAO Isaac is getting tossed around by wings...he isn't even remotely close to being able to play C. Bamba is still 1-2 years away (at best).

That is NOT a fast team...CP3 is a slow pace / half court PG who has lost a lot of his half court effectiveness and will continue to at a rapid rate. Its a slow, poor shooting poor spacing high lottery bad team. Fast pace is over a 100 at minimum...

CP3 Team's PACE/NBA Rank:

14-15 LAC 94.7 (12th)
15-16 LAC 95.8 (14th)
16-17 LAC 96.1 (16th)
17-18 HOU 97.6 (13th)
18-19 HOU 97.9 (26th)

It's all good bro. You made some good points. I started off saying this is unrealistic anyways but I wanted to play devil's advocate. But I don't want to keep this up before it starts to seem like I'm absolutely loving CP3. I think I like the idea of Chris Paul (at a cost I like) more than the actual Chris Paul. But I gotta end this cause after Caron Butler hyping me up about Fultz again I'm way too excited about out going down that road. Let's go Markelle!!!!
Jett Howard, Franz Wagner, Paolo Banchero, Jonathan Isaac, Wendell Carter Jr
Anthony Black, Cole Anthony, Jalen Suggs, Joe Ingles, Chuma Okeke, Mo Wagner, Goga Bitadze LESSSGOOO!!!
The Effect
Magic Forum Mock Draft Co-Champ
And1: 2,052

Post#62 » by The Effect » Sun Jul 14, 2019 6:14 pm

bargnanimvp
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,362

Post#63 » by bargnanimvp » Mon Jul 15, 2019 4:55 am

No chance
dsg2021
Analyst
And1: 1,026

Post#64 » by dsg2021 » Mon Jul 15, 2019 5:28 am

In an unexpected move, the Orlando Magic are..
GatorbaitDD
Rookie
And1: 673

Post#65 » by GatorbaitDD » Mon Jul 15, 2019 11:25 am

No way. Westbrook was hard to pass, but Paul is done.
spinedoc
RealGM
And1: 4,164

Post#66 » by spinedoc » Tue Jul 16, 2019 1:20 am

Definitely not, Paul is the poster child for bad contract and lead balloon for a franchise. Westbrook who is four years younger was an acceptable risk. Wiggins with age on his side and untapped potential fits the bill for me as well, but Paul would do nothing for us unless we were getting picks in order to take him.
djFan71
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,170

Post#67 » by djFan71 » Sat Jul 20, 2019 12:13 am

Apologies in advance if you guys think this is terrible for you. I'd understand.... Not trying to troll, I just don't know how you value your players enough, so any feedback would be welcome. Flames and all...

ORL: CP3, Jaylen Brown, MIL 2020 first, (2) OKC owned firsts for Isaac, Fournier, Fultz, Okeke, Frazier Jr, ORL 2020 2nd
OKC: Okeke, Fultz, Fournier, Frazier for CP3, 2 firsts
BOS: Isaac, ORL 2020 2nd for Brown, MIL 20 1st.

http://www.espn.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=y4rclnr7

ORL ends up with:

CP3/Brown/Aminu/Gordon/Vuc
Augustin/Ross/Iwundu/Birch/Bamba

Plus 3 first rounders. MIL 20 from BOS, OKC sends 1 for CP3, 1 for Okeke / Fultz. Not saying OKC own picks, probably the HOU or LAC ones. If you prefer, send Bamba instead of Okeke and Frazier or tweak the pick exchange???

Seems like you get a really good team this year. Plus picks. And you clear out some redundancy up front so you can maximize what you have. That starting lineup would be really good, imo. Challenge for top 4 in the east for sure.

I'll admit I didn't look what it does to your salary this year or the next few, but I'm assuming tax land.

Obviously, BOS snags Isaac in the deal, which is why I like it. We have the opposite problem of you - no PFs, too many guards/wings, so I think this balances that out. You lose a little on upside/contract status, but gain on proven playoff production, so we swap the MIL 1st rounder for a 2nd.

Reading this thread it doesn't seem too pro-CP3.... so, I'd also do that trade without the OKC portion, but this seems to balance you even more, and make you better next year, imo, than not doing that part.
NotACat
Veteran
And1: 1,297

Post#68 » by NotACat » Sat Jul 20, 2019 12:49 am

djFan71 wrote:Apologies in advance if you guys think this is terrible for you. I'd understand.... Not trying to troll, I just don't know how you value your players enough, so any feedback would be welcome. Flames and all...

ORL: CP3, Jaylen Brown, MIL 2020 first, (2) OKC owned firsts for Isaac, Fournier, Fultz, Okeke, Frazier Jr, ORL 2020 2nd

ORL ends up with:

Plus 3 first rounders. MIL 20 from BOS, OKC sends 1 for CP3, 1 for Okeke / Fultz. Not saying OKC own picks, probably the HOU or LAC ones. If you prefer, send Bamba instead of Okeke and Frazier or tweak the pick exchange???

Seems like you get a really good team this year. Plus picks. And you clear out some redundancy up front so you can maximize what you have. That starting lineup would be really good, imo. Challenge for top 4 in the east for sure.

I'll admit I didn't look what it does to your salary this year or the next few, but I'm assuming tax land.

Obviously, BOS snags Isaac in the deal, which is why I like it. We have the opposite problem of you - no PFs, too many guards/wings, so I think this balances that out. You lose a little on upside/contract status, but gain on proven playoff production, so we swap the MIL 1st rounder for a 2nd.

Reading this thread it doesn't seem too pro-CP3.... so, I'd also do that trade without the OKC portion, but this seems to balance you even more, and make you better next year, imo, than not doing that part.

I hate to burst your bubble, but we're not doing that. CP3 with that roster isn't close to a title contender, so why even trade one of our best prospects and put us in the luxury to do it? The 3 first rounders and Brown don't cover losing Isaac or getting CP3s contract. I think you could argue that Isaac is a better prospect than Brown tbh.

And despite what the national media says, our roster is actually very well balanced:
1s: DJ Augustine, MCW, Fultz
2s: Fournier, TRoss, Iwundu
3s: AG, Iwundu, Okeke
4s: Isaac, Aminu, Amile Jefferson
5s: Vuc, Bamba, Birch

The Magic value their young players very highly, and our FO is committed to keeping us in playoff competition until our young core takes the rein.
Black Lives Matter
djFan71
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#69 » by djFan71 » Sat Jul 20, 2019 1:01 am

NotACat wrote:
Spoiler:
djFan71 wrote:Apologies in advance if you guys think this is terrible for you. I'd understand.... Not trying to troll, I just don't know how you value your players enough, so any feedback would be welcome. Flames and all...

ORL ends up with:

I hate to burst your bubble, but we're not doing that. CP3 with that roster isn't close to a title contender, so why even trade one of our best prospects and put us in the luxury to do it? The 3 first rounders and Brown don't cover losing Isaac or getting CP3s contract. I think you could argue that Isaac is a better prospect than Brown tbh.

And despite what the national media says, our roster is actually very well balanced:

The Magic value their young players very highly, and our FO is committed to keeping us in playoff competition until our young core takes the rein.

On the bolded, I am so torn honestly. I love Brown, but I love Isaac, too. Due to contract, i was willing to add the first as well. But, I can definitely see why you wouldn't want to.

I do disagree on your balance, but you know your team better. I just wasn't sure how you valued Fournier. If he's just salary ballast, then CP3 or adding Brown makes more sense. If you think he's a positive asset at his contract, then it's end of discussion.
NotACat
Veteran

Post#70 » by NotACat » Sat Jul 20, 2019 3:24 am

djFan71 wrote:
NotACat wrote:
Spoiler:

ORL ends up with:

On the bolded, I am so torn honestly. I love Brown, but I love Isaac, too. Due to contract, i was willing to add the first as well. But, I can definitely see why you wouldn't want to.

I do disagree on your balance, but you know your team better. I just wasn't sure how you valued Fournier. If he's just salary ballast, then CP3 or adding Brown makes more sense. If you think he's a positive asset at his contract, then it's end of discussion.

I consider Fournier to be neutral at worst, but a slight positive if his shooting jumps back to his average. And he may opt out this off-season to get a long term deal, I definitely don't view him as a negative asset at this point
Black Lives Matter
tiderulz
RealGM
And1: 14,074

Post#71 » by tiderulz » Sat Jul 20, 2019 4:59 am

ORL ends up with:

it was terrible once you tried to trade CP3 to the Magic.
djFan71
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#72 » by djFan71 » Sat Jul 20, 2019 5:57 am

tiderulz wrote:

ORL ends up with:

it was terrible once you tried to trade CP3 to the Magic.

Fair enough, I apologize and retract. His contract blows, but every now and then you think maybe.... but then saner people talk you down. :D

I’ll see myself out...
dsg2021
Analyst
And1: 1,026

Post#73 » by dsg2021 » Sat Jul 20, 2019 11:30 am

Added input:

HOU employed a hugely successful 'your turn, my turn' approach with James Harden and CP3 (that will obviously continue with Westbrook; and which will have a nice quarter of his minutes as a huge positive impact for HOU). D'Antoni basically says that Harden is iso-ball, and so good at it, that I'm not going to mess with him at all (in terms of having CP3 direct the team offense with Harden). Here was CP3's 'your turn' minutes though:

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Creative input:

A lot of ORL's problems are good ones. With Timo, they had the salary ballast to add anyone for a net positive on the floor. Without him, the team's contracts are increasingly into good market, or fair market, values. You're losing the trading game before you even begin, basically.

But step into some creative space with me.. and imagine that ORL has two 3-way frameworks that all sides would agree on for these trade ideas.

They made the plans, they see every move in the league lately is happening awfully fast these days, and even if it costs some draft compensation or some cap purgatory, and the 3-way offers are officially made and on the table near Christmas time.

All 3-way deals keep ORL's best players out of deals acquiring Chris Paul. It's the exact best outgoing players ORL could have hoped for (whatever it is in their minds). Additionally, by some kind of TPE magic, or more than likely.. by some type of added 'bargain value player' incoming to ORL [that is basically as big as adding CP3 (especially if it is a young player)], ORL creatively finds a deal very worth making.

Okay, so let me rewind here a little bit and explain what I mean with a 2-way deal example. CP3 is an albatross of a contract, but Shai Gilgeous-Alexander is a massive 'bargain' of a contract. This example, again, is only a 2-way deal instead but it illustrates the creativity of now filling in SGA with another 'bargain value player' or some kind of TPE/salary magic.

And hey, might I add that depending on how high OKC is on Shai versus.. Bamba, Fultz, draft compensation, and trading away CP3's contract.. this idea actually could be very, very intriguing to both OKC and ORL too..

The offer is,
Mo Bamba, Markelle Fultz, Khem Birch, D.J. Augustin, and Al-Farouq Aminu
for
Chris Paul, Shai Gilgeous-Alexander

with draft compensation being a big mess of a negotiation, but that means this deal is very interesting for ORL.

Then, when Bradley Beal is available, you will still have a lot of value to give and be looking at an,
Evan Fournier, MCW, and (BAE signing/TPE trick)
for
Bradley Beal

with the necessary ORL draft picks needed (if justified) to beat the market.
ORL's New Year's Day lineup:

Chris Paul / Shai Gilgeous-Alexander
Bradley Beal / Terrence Ross
Aaron Gordon / Chuma Okeke
Jonathan Isaac / Chuma Okeke
Nikola Vucevic / Amile Jefferson

Last input:

This video of CP3's 2019 highlights.

(Look at 1:01 to 1:16. Imagine CP3's defensive fire and probing-attack brilliance alongside J.I. and A.G.)

And this video explaining why 37 year old, 38 year old resigned Chris Paul is going to be ORL's Jason Kidd to a championship year in ORL:
NotACat
Veteran

Post#74 » by NotACat » Sat Jul 20, 2019 12:14 pm

If we were going to trade for Chris Paul, it would have happened when we had Mozgov
Black Lives Matter
j-ragg
RealGM
And1: 11,650

Post#75 » by j-ragg » Sat Jul 20, 2019 12:55 pm

dsg2021 wrote:#2
Then, when Bradley Beal is available, you will still have a lot of value to give and be looking at an,
for
Bradley Beal

Evan Fournier and a 3rd string borderline NBA player for Bradley Beal? Sign me up!!
BadMofoPimp wrote:Durant thinks Vooch is one of the Best Centers in the NBA. I will take his word over a couch-GM yelling at a TV.
tiderulz
RealGM
And1: 14,074

Post#76 » by tiderulz » Sat Jul 20, 2019 2:34 pm

dsg2021 wrote:Added input:

HOU employed a hugely successful 'your turn, my turn' approach with James Harden and CP3 (that will obviously continue with Westbrook; and which will have a nice quarter of his minutes as a huge positive impact for HOU). D'Antoni basically says that Harden is iso-ball, and so good at it, that I'm not going to mess with him at all (in terms of having CP3 direct the team offense with Harden). Here was CP3's 'your turn' minutes though:

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Creative input:

A lot of ORL's problems are good ones. With Timo, they had the salary ballast to add anyone for a net positive on the floor. Without him, the team's contracts are increasingly into good market, or fair market, values. You're losing the trading game before you even begin, basically.

But step into some creative space with me.. and imagine that ORL has two 3-way frameworks that all sides would agree on for these trade ideas.

They made the plans, they see every move in the league lately is happening awfully fast these days, and even if it costs some draft compensation or some cap purgatory, and the 3-way offers are officially made and on the table near Christmas time.

All 3-way deals keep ORL's best players out of deals acquiring Chris Paul. It's the exact best outgoing players ORL could have hoped for (whatever it is in their minds). Additionally, by some kind of TPE magic, or more than likely.. by some type of added 'bargain value player' incoming to ORL [that is basically as big as adding CP3 (especially if it is a young player)], ORL creatively finds a deal very worth making.

Okay, so let me rewind here a little bit and explain what I mean with a 2-way deal example. CP3 is an albatross of a contract, but Shai Gilgeous-Alexander is a massive 'bargain' of a contract. This example, again, is only a 2-way deal instead but it illustrates the creativity of now filling in SGA with another 'bargain value player' or some kind of TPE/salary magic.

And hey, might I add that depending on how high OKC is on Shai versus.. Bamba, Fultz, draft compensation, and trading away CP3's contract.. this idea actually could be very, very intriguing to both OKC and ORL too..

The offer is,
Mo Bamba, Markelle Fultz, Khem Birch, D.J. Augustin, and Al-Farouq Aminu
for
Chris Paul, Shai Gilgeous-Alexander

with draft compensation being a big mess of a negotiation, but that means this deal is very interesting for ORL.

for
Bradley Beal

with the necessary ORL draft picks needed (if justified) to beat the market.
ORL's New Year's Day lineup:

Chris Paul / Shai Gilgeous-Alexander
Bradley Beal / Terrence Ross
Aaron Gordon / Chuma Okeke
Jonathan Isaac / Chuma Okeke
Nikola Vucevic / Amile Jefferson

Last input:

This video of CP3's 2019 highlights.

(Look at 1:01 to 1:16. Imagine CP3's defensive fire and probing-attack brilliance alongside J.I. and A.G.)

And this video explaining why 37 year old, 38 year old resigned Chris Paul is going to be ORL's Jason Kidd to a championship year in ORL:

not a chance OKC trades SGA

Return to Orlando Magic