ImageImageImageImage

Mo Bamba & Expectations for Season 2

Moderators: UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL

D J C
Pro Prospect
And1: 515

Mo Bamba & Expectations for Season 2 

Post#1 » by D J C » Thu Jul 18, 2019 4:35 pm

Mo Bamba, hopefully our last lottery pick of this rebuild, perhaps the player we're most in the dark about for the future. In limited minutes last year he flashed, but was clearly not ready to be a contributor to a playoff team.

It's hard not to have high expectations for a player that high of a pick, especially when you see guys like Luka, Trae, JJJ, etc putting up numbers and getting attention from day 1. Some may have seen him out there and see him as a disappointment, but as a 20 year old raw prospect his numbers as a rookie were historically promising.

Overall for the year he averaged a modest 6.2 PPG and 5 RPG with 1.4 BPG in 16.3 MPG. His advanced numbers of note were: 7% BLK, 16.3% TRB, 3.1 DBPM, 1.7 WS, a 105 Offensive Rating and a 103 Defensive Rating.

Comparing these numbers all time, we see he's in some decent company:

List of Rookies with a 16%+ TRB and 7%+ BLK (qualifier of 7+ MPG)

• Joel Embiid
  • Tree Rollins
  • Michael Stewart
  • Mitchell Robinson
  • Mo Bamba
  • Hasheem Thabeet
  • Greg Ostertag
  • Chris Anderson
  • Rudy Gobert
  • Clint Capela

Ok, kind of a mixed bag here, but mostly positive. If you make add a qualifier of 5+ PPG, the list narrows down to:

• Joel Embiid
  • Tree Rollins
  • Mitchell Robinson
  • Mo Bamba

Interesting smaller list, but not really saying much right? Two rookies from this last year, one superstar, and then Tree Rollins. Still, unique numbers nonetheless. Let expand the list to include some more players, dropping the TRB% to 15 and the BLK% to 5 we get:

• Shaquille O'Neal
  • David Robinson
  • Alonzo Morning
  • Sam Bowie
  • Anthony Davis
  • Benoit Benjamin
  • Joel Embiid
  • Tree Rollins
  • Andre Drummond
  • Mitchell Robinson
  • Serge Ibaka
  • Mo Bamba
  • JaVale McGee
  • Erick Dampier
  • Tyrus Thomas

Ok, now we're getting somewhere. Obviously Shaq, Robinson, and Zo were on another level even as rookies, but we can see a trend of good players coming out of this bunch. The only players that weren't productive NBA players here were Tyrus Thomas and Tree Rollins. The most significant finding from this though was how close Mo was to one of these guys..

Serge Ibaka (20 years old)
6.3 PPG / 5.4 RPG / 1.3 BPG / .3 SPG (18.1 MPG)
54.3 2P% / 63% FT / 56.2% TS
15.2 PER / 17.2% TRB / 5.5% BLK

Mo Bamba (20 years old)
6.2 PPG / 5.0 RPB / 1.4 BPG / .3 SPG (16.3 MPG)
55.5 2P% / 58.7% FT / 53.9% TS
14.9 PER / 16.3% TRB / 7.0% BLK

Now Serge obviously kept making improvements from here, improving his shot and defense even more, and had a good frame that he kept adding weight on. But if Mo can follow a similar path to Ibaka, while being taller and longer, we could have a very valuable and special player on our hands.

Another promising stat for Bamba.. he shot 78.8% (67 out of 85) from 0-3' and 41.2% from 16'-3pt range. This is what really sets him apart and shows his potential IMO. For comparison to the rest of the list:

• Tyrus Thomas shot 60% from 0-3' and 11.5% from 16'-3pt range
  • Serge Ibaka shot 62.4% from 0-3' and 40.4% from 16'-3pt range
  • Andre Drummond shot 68.8% from 0-3' and didnt make a shot past 16' until his 4th season
  • Mitchell Robinson shot 73.4% from 0-3' and didn't make a shot outside of 16'
  • Anthony Davis shot 71.3% from 0-3' and 26% from 16'-3pt range, and didn't hit 41% from 16'-3pt range until his 3rd season
  • Joel Embiid shot 64% (89 out of 139) from 0-3' and 48.6% from 16'-3pt range

Now obviously there's more factors at play here, i.e. volume, role, ast%, dunks per game, etc.. but Bamba's percentages are encouraging for having a good touch around the rim with finishing ability, and good range to build off of for the future.

The key to his development will be his body, strength and conditioning as we all know.. but as far as skills go, the metrics and advanced stats show him trending in the right direction.

A quick closing stat to leave on, which is interesting more than significant.. the only players ever to hit 20+ 3s in a season and have a 7%+ block percentage and PER above 14.. Andrei Kirilenko, Serge Ibaka, Myles Turner, Joel Embiid, and our own Mo Bamba

Happy offseasoning everyone
rcklsscognition
RealGM
And1: 7,126

Re: Mo Bamba & Expectations for Season 2 

Post#2 » by rcklsscognition » Thu Jul 18, 2019 4:53 pm

A+ for optimism.
fendilim
RealGM
And1: 5,002

Post#3 » by fendilim » Thu Jul 18, 2019 4:54 pm

I’ll be hyped next yr. but might be too early this year, in fact, he might even disappoint if he cant match Birch’s production.
Max Power
Head Coach
And1: 1,204

Post#4 » by Max Power » Thu Jul 18, 2019 5:52 pm

If he stays healthy, I think we see a much improved Mo Bamba. He impacted the game when he was in. You’d have to have been blind not to see that. Numbers didn’t blow you away but he affected things defensively, and hit open shots when he had them. He’s a project and an improving one. I don’t think Khem Birch is a threat to him long term at all. Especially if Birch still can’t make a layup next year.
You look confused...let me fill you in.
Knightro
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 23,908

Post#5 » by Knightro » Thu Jul 18, 2019 6:06 pm

I would be pleased if he actually tried defensively.
tommyg
Ballboy
And1: 6

Post#6 » by tommyg » Thu Jul 18, 2019 6:38 pm

I love the guy and his potential but his defense really was atrocious. We were much better last season after Birch took over the backup 5 spot. Bamba has all the tools i really hope he can put it all together
Def Swami
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 15,114

Post#7 » by Def Swami » Thu Jul 18, 2019 6:45 pm

I really wish he'd just do what Birch did last year. Defend hard, protect the rim, set good screens, be a vertical spacer. I expect nothing else. Fill Birch's role well and I'd consider it a success for him.
MagicMatic
RealGM
And1: 12,663

Post#8 » by MagicMatic » Thu Jul 18, 2019 6:46 pm

Biggest potential....

To be buried behind Vuc & Birch and have his minutes cut down.

Hoping Bamba makes a leap.
PrimeThyme
RealGM
And1: 14,326

Post#9 » by PrimeThyme » Thu Jul 18, 2019 6:52 pm

My expectations next season for Bamba are for him to be better than or at least as effective as Birch and hold down the primary backup spot. Not overly confident that happens though, sadly.
The Real Dalic
RealGM
And1: 6,985

Post#10 » by The Real Dalic » Thu Jul 18, 2019 6:54 pm

I'm hoping to see much more from him now considering he'll be playing with Augustin, Fultz, MCW, instead of Grant. Should help him out.
God. Family. Country. Basketball.
MagicMatic
RealGM

Post#11 » by MagicMatic » Thu Jul 18, 2019 6:57 pm

PrimeThyme wrote:My expectations next season for Bamba are for him to be better than or at least as effective as Birch and hold down the primary backup spot. Not overly confident that happens though, sadly.

Yeah. I don’t see how/why Clifford would choose to play him when Birch is going to be the better option for at least 2 more years under contract. Hoping he reaches another level this season to get those 12-16mpg back.
Knightro
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic

Post#12 » by Knightro » Thu Jul 18, 2019 7:14 pm

MagicMatic wrote:
PrimeThyme wrote:My expectations next season for Bamba are for him to be better than or at least as effective as Birch and hold down the primary backup spot. Not overly confident that happens though, sadly.

Yeah. I don’t see how/why Clifford would choose to play him when Birch is going to be the better option for at least 2 more years under contract. Hoping he reaches another level this season to get those 12-16mpg back.

FWIW Clifford did play Bamba over Birch last year when Bamba was absolutely horrific and showed no signs of being willing to make a switch until Bamba broke his leg.

That situation is going to be very interesting to monitor. Are the magic willing to deal with the growing pains of developing a young player or are they going to skew towards winning as many games as possible?
MagicMatic
RealGM

Post#13 » by MagicMatic » Thu Jul 18, 2019 7:17 pm

Knightro wrote:
MagicMatic wrote:

FWIW Clifford did play Bamba over Birch last year when Bamba was absolutely horrific and showed no signs of being willing to make a switch until Bamba broke his leg.

That situation is going to be very interesting to monitor. Are the magic willing to deal with the growing pains of developing a young player or are they going to skew towards winning as many games as possible?

With what the FO is selling, and how Clifford operates, I think we know the answer to that question.
basketballRob
RealGM
And1: 10,576

Post#14 » by basketballRob » Thu Jul 18, 2019 7:28 pm

I think he'll make progress like Isaac did last year, maybe even more since his rookie year he was much better offensively.

Sent from my SM-G965U using RealGM mobile app
Knightro
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic

Post#15 » by Knightro » Thu Jul 18, 2019 7:30 pm

MagicMatic wrote:With what the FO is selling, and how Clifford operates, I think we know the answer to that question.

Normally I'd agree with you, but Clifford stubbornly rode Bamba last year even though it CLEARLY wasn't working.

I'm just genuinely curious how that one will play out.

Perfect world we get to camp and Bamba's clearly better and that's that.
basketballRob
RealGM

Post#16 » by basketballRob » Thu Jul 18, 2019 7:33 pm

Knightro wrote:
MagicMatic wrote:With what the FO is selling, and how Clifford operates, I think we know the answer to that question.

Normally I'd agree with you, but Clifford stubbornly rode Bamba last year even though it CLEARLY wasn't working.

Hopefully he doesn't pick up any of Vucevic's selfish habits.

MoMM
RealGM
And1: 1,714

Post#17 » by MoMM » Thu Jul 18, 2019 8:40 pm

basketballRob wrote:
Knightro wrote:

Hopefully he doesn't pick up any of Vucevic's selfish habits.

Never misses a chance to attack Vuc.

Sorry, bro, but Vucevic had almost 4 apg last season, only behind DJ and MCW.

Keep trying :naaa:
Instincts
Pro Prospect
And1: 476

Post#18 » by Instincts » Thu Jul 18, 2019 8:41 pm

Nice post.

I expect his shooting to shine.

I expect his awareness and motor to remain large question marks that he will struggle to overcome. I do not expect he has a real chance to develop sufficiently to overcome these issues this year. Best case scenario would be late this year he could start to be competent in these areas, likely year 3 and 4, possibly never at all.
drsd
RealGM
And1: 7,818

Post#19 » by drsd » Thu Jul 18, 2019 9:10 pm

Looking at the prime-post, I had net realised how stinky, smelly bad Gobert was in his rookie season.

basketballRob
RealGM

Post#20 » by basketballRob » Thu Jul 18, 2019 9:25 pm

Delete

Return to Orlando Magic