ImageImageImageImage

Mo Bamba & Expectations for Season 2

Moderators: Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, ChosenSavior, Knightro, SOUL, Def Swami

ezzzp
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,656
And1: 2,967
Joined: Aug 25, 2009
 

Re: Mo Bamba & Expectations for Season 2 

Post#121 » by ezzzp » Tue Aug 27, 2019 5:27 pm

drsd wrote:Vučević was Orlando's best offensive player AND Orlando's best defensive player, statistically.

For these facts to be true, he was efficient and stable game-in-and-out.

I accept that for some fans here Vučević fails the eye test. But he does not fail the statistical tests. And last year, Vučević's stats led to wins. Winning is the only statistics that matters, after all.


Absolutely, W's are the only stat that matters.

The "eye test" for many fans is heavily influenced by the type of plays that make highlight reels.

Its hard not to look at a nasty block or insane dunk and not get hyped about it...but that type of play isn't an indicator of how much, or how little, impact that player was actually having on the floor at that time.

A player that is rarely out of position on defense just doesn't carry a fraction of the hype factor that a block does, yet it has way more impact towards winning.

Of course a block or a dunk can change the momentum of a game in some instances, but most of the time its more about style points than actual in-game impact. For me personally, I have to rely on statistics to balance off my eye test and emotional biases to be able to get a decent reading of performance and impact.
basketballRob
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,160
And1: 1,670
Joined: May 05, 2014
     

Re: Mo Bamba & Expectations for Season 2 

Post#122 » by basketballRob » Wed Aug 28, 2019 4:57 pm

I think Mo will make progress like JI did last season. I could see him averaging 10 pts 7 rebs and 2 blks.

Sent from my SM-G965U using RealGM mobile app
User avatar
Blue_and_Whte
RealGM
Posts: 21,946
And1: 7,438
Joined: Jun 26, 2009
Location: Orlando, FL.
     

Re: Mo Bamba & Expectations for Season 2 

Post#123 » by Blue_and_Whte » Fri Aug 30, 2019 6:43 pm

ezzzp wrote:
drsd wrote:Vučević was Orlando's best offensive player AND Orlando's best defensive player, statistically.

For these facts to be true, he was efficient and stable game-in-and-out.

I accept that for some fans here Vučević fails the eye test. But he does not fail the statistical tests. And last year, Vučević's stats led to wins. Winning is the only statistics that matters, after all.


Absolutely, W's are the only stat that matters.

The "eye test" for many fans is heavily influenced by the type of plays that make highlight reels.

Its hard not to look at a nasty block or insane dunk and not get hyped about it...but that type of play isn't an indicator of how much, or how little, impact that player was actually having on the floor at that time.

A player that is rarely out of position on defense just doesn't carry a fraction of the hype factor that a block does, yet it has way more impact towards winning.

Of course a block or a dunk can change the momentum of a game in some instances, but most of the time its more about style points than actual in-game impact. For me personally, I have to rely on statistics to balance off my eye test and emotional biases to be able to get a decent reading of performance and impact.
this is 100% accurate.
Skybox
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,792
And1: 1,114
Joined: Jan 21, 2017
 

Re: Mo Bamba & Expectations for Season 2 

Post#124 » by Skybox » Sun Sep 1, 2019 4:34 pm

basketballRob wrote:I think Mo will make progress like JI did last season. I could see him averaging 10 pts 7 rebs and 2 blks.

Sent from my SM-G965U using RealGM mobile app


I think this is very reasonable, even conservative...I expect Bamba to basically push Birch out of the rotation. Alternatively, Bamba increases his value enough to be part of a trade package for Beal (or similar). No knock on Birch, he's a solid backup.
basketballRob
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,160
And1: 1,670
Joined: May 05, 2014
     

Re: Mo Bamba & Expectations for Season 2 

Post#125 » by basketballRob » Sun Sep 1, 2019 5:32 pm

Skybox wrote:
basketballRob wrote:I think Mo will make progress like JI did last season. I could see him averaging 10 pts 7 rebs and 2 blks.

Sent from my SM-G965U using RealGM mobile app


I think this is very reasonable, even conservative...I expect Bamba to basically push Birch out of the rotation. Alternatively, Bamba increases his value enough to be part of a trade package for Beal (or similar). No knock on Birch, he's a solid backup.
I doubt they trade Bamba while he's on a rookie scale contract.

Sent from my SM-G965U using RealGM mobile app
ezzzp
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,656
And1: 2,967
Joined: Aug 25, 2009
 

Re: Mo Bamba & Expectations for Season 2 

Post#126 » by ezzzp » Mon Sep 2, 2019 7:54 am

basketballRob wrote:
Skybox wrote:
basketballRob wrote:I think Mo will make progress like JI did last season. I could see him averaging 10 pts 7 rebs and 2 blks.

Sent from my SM-G965U using RealGM mobile app


I think this is very reasonable, even conservative...I expect Bamba to basically push Birch out of the rotation. Alternatively, Bamba increases his value enough to be part of a trade package for Beal (or similar). No knock on Birch, he's a solid backup.
I doubt they trade Bamba while he's on a rookie scale contract.

Sent from my SM-G965U using RealGM mobile app


If its for Beal this summer I'd probably do it because its two full season's of a young star for three seasons of Bamba at rookie scale (1-2 of those years most likely still be bench caliber). After that you have tough situation either way, retaining Beal vs betting big money on Bamba at 24 so likely still a lot of questions about his value.

At the trade deadline I would be much less inclined to.
Skybox
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,792
And1: 1,114
Joined: Jan 21, 2017
 

Re: Mo Bamba & Expectations for Season 2 

Post#127 » by Skybox » Mon Sep 2, 2019 5:56 pm

ezzzp wrote:
basketballRob wrote:
Skybox wrote:
I think this is very reasonable, even conservative...I expect Bamba to basically push Birch out of the rotation. Alternatively, Bamba increases his value enough to be part of a trade package for Beal (or similar). No knock on Birch, he's a solid backup.
I doubt they trade Bamba while he's on a rookie scale contract.

Sent from my SM-G965U using RealGM mobile app


If its for Beal this summer I'd probably do it because its two full season's of a young star for three seasons of Bamba at rookie scale (1-2 of those years most likely still be bench caliber). After that you have tough situation either way, retaining Beal vs betting big money on Bamba at 24 so likely still a lot of questions about his value.

At the trade deadline I would be much less inclined to.


It'd also have to be quite a bit more than just Bamba, IMO. Probably AG unless Bamba comes out like a monster early. Also assuming Beal is even available or demands trade. Beal just seemed like the most likely available with the type of attributes ORL should be shopping for.
pepe1991
General Manager
Posts: 9,598
And1: 7,727
Joined: Jan 10, 2016
   

Re: Mo Bamba & Expectations for Season 2 

Post#128 » by pepe1991 » Mon Sep 2, 2019 6:06 pm

Wizards have Thomas Bryant, who is 22 and pretty damn good. Why would they take Bamba?
"A straight path never leads anywhere except to the objective."
Andre Gide

Return to Orlando Magic