ImageImageImageImage

Aaron Gordon

Moderators: Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL, UCF

Should we trade him?

Yes
26%
No
74%

Total votes: 68

PrimeThyme
RealGM
And1: 14,374

Aaron Gordon 

Post#1 » by PrimeThyme » Fri Jul 19, 2019 6:15 am

There's been a lot of talk this summer about AG and a possible trade and it really has had me thinking about his future with our team. Naturally, with his team-friendly contract and the many forwards we have I can somewhat see why people would be eager to trade him but I'm just not ready to move on from this kid yet.

He is a longterm core piece of this team in my eyes. The kid is still only 23 and has already had 5 coaches in his short career. Now, we've finally found a coach that will hopefully be here for the longterm and give him some stability and I want to see what kind of player he can continue to develop into because of it.

Clifford didn't try to make him Paul George or some other player last year, he let him play to his strengths on both sides of the court and even though the statline may not have shown it, he made huge strides in my eyes. We saw during the playoff run and throughout the Toronto series the type of impact he can have for our team.

Chuma/Aminu may be nice players, but they do not in the slightest make me want to move on from AG. AG embodies everything we are building as an organization. He's an extremely hard worker that has shown the ability to improve and add to his game offseason after offseason, He has a great head on his shoulders and is the type of person you want playing for your franchise, and his defensive and athletic ability paired next to Isaac is what can separate us from other teams and win us series come March/April/June.

He is a lynchpin for the future success of this team in my eyes and it would be a huge disappointment to see us move on from him before we can truly see him blossom under a Coach like Cliff and in a winning environment.
MagicMatic
RealGM
And1: 12,923

Re: Aaron Gordon 

Post#2 » by MagicMatic » Fri Jul 19, 2019 7:52 am

I’d have to say the answer to this question has changed a lot over the last year and has flipped between yes and no. Ultimately I voted yes. Why? I’ll explain.

What you are saying about AG is absolutely true. The number of coaches, instability, lack of a real playmaking pg, he’s only 23, etc. etc. That isn’t to say that he ever needed to be in the ideal situation to be successful. He’s steadily improved every season and luckily wasn’t massively overpaid with his contract structure. Also, he proved to be a true competitor in the playoffs last season when Vuc disappeared and the Magic were searching for answers.

All of that being said, a few decisions were made by the FO recently that have made AG expendable and have made his game arguably less effective.

Resigning Vuc was the first step. Again, Orlando has decided to commit to running a slow half court Vuc-centered offense that will limit AG’s open court athleticism and penetration. AG gets compared to Shawn Marion, a player that was massively successful and posted career numbers playing with Steve Nash in a run and gun offense. The exact antithesis of what Orlando runs currently. Which brings me to my next point...

Failure to acquire a playmaking/ floor spacing guard with a quantifiable game capable of encouraging and enabling AG’s athleticism. Fultz could be that player, but the realist in me would rather see him be able to contribute at all first before claiming him to be a solve all.

Roster dynamics. Caution: Hot take -Jonathan Isaac is likely a better future PF next to Vuc. Not only that, but Ross and Okeke are probably more valuable with their much needed shooting ability. AG is the odd man out here strictly due to duplicative skill sets and balancing a starting lineup that lacks reliable offense. Lastly, acquiring Aminu ensures whatever defensive intensity Orlando would be missing with AG’s departure would be mitigated.

In short, yes I would trade AG if it were for the right package or player. I just don’t see the blueprint that would need to be laid out for AG to be as successful as we would hope he’d be. I believe the FO is waiting to see what they have in Fultz to make a move. His contract is structured to be traded and the current regime haven’t necessarily been making moves to ensure his stay.
pepe1991
RealGM
And1: 16,284

Post#3 » by pepe1991 » Fri Jul 19, 2019 8:39 am

Where i don't think Vučević really "hurts" Gordon in any way, and it's pretty clear that they work really well together, main issue is how rest of roster is built.
Gordon is definition of modern PF, fast, ability to switch, improved shooter , solid enough to lure defender if he can spot up in corner, ok rebounder, capable of running transition with ball on his own ... But on roster that drafted Isaac ,who simply flat out can't play SF, Bamba , who needs elite wing shooter, and with additions of Okeke and Aminu, Magic become so louded at bigs that Gordon, as best asset they have becomes expendable by default.

Things take even more cristal -clear look when you look at Magic guard rotation. Everybody knows it needs to be upgraded ASAP.

btw he is turning 24 in like 55 days so it's pointless to tlak about age or point out that he is 23 at this point, entering 6th nba season.

I would rather trade Isaac because i simply think his ceiling is limited and that team can get similar production from Aminu anyway. Ofc Weltman drafted him ,and if Bamba keeps looking like a bum he won't trade Isaac to save his reputation and probably long term to keep his job.

But much like every trade, real question is what would Magic get in return and how fast are they willing to move away from Fultz. If they hold onto him for one year, and team next year rolls with Okeke,Isaac, Aminu and Gordon all compeating for like 65 min per game, than scenario where some of them demands a trade isn't far off realm of possibility.
Life is what happens when you're busy making other plans. -John Lennon
orlando_joe
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,659

Post#4 » by orlando_joe » Fri Jul 19, 2019 9:28 am

no ..you wont get a better player on a better deal for ag...no you don't trade him..unless you want to be worse? wins and cap wise..
Blue_and_Whte
RealGM
And1: 9,238

Post#5 » by Blue_and_Whte » Fri Jul 19, 2019 10:36 am

I don't think he should actively be on the trading block, but for the right deal I think anyone could be moved.

Sent from my VS501 using RealGM mobile app
Faith, Family, Basketball
#2A
#Adopt
Gomagic44
Head Coach
And1: 2,187

Post#6 » by Gomagic44 » Fri Jul 19, 2019 11:46 am

For all the crap I’ve given him over the years.....No. unless it’s an amazing offer. He proved himself a man amongst boys in the playoffs in a few games. He impressed me. Opposite of Vuc, in the playoffs that is.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
paperboymafia
Analyst
And1: 636

Post#7 » by paperboymafia » Fri Jul 19, 2019 11:51 am

No.

If Fultz doesn't work out, then yes but that'd be a huge bummer.
Catledge
Starter
And1: 834

Post#8 » by Catledge » Fri Jul 19, 2019 12:31 pm

pepe1991 wrote:Gordon is definition of modern PF

I know that most people disagree with me on this, but I am convinced AG is a small forward. He is only average at defending in the post, doesn't really defend the rim, is only slightly above average as a rebounder, and all the banging from playing half of his minutes at the 4 (and playing too many minutes) left him with a sore back and shoulder at the end of last season.

On the other hand, the one thing he does better than anything else is defend the 3. His ball handling is only so-so, but there are plenty of NBA 3s who are similar or inferior ball handlers (Harrison Barnes, Trevor Ariza, Otto Porter). AG is much more effective at overpowering smaller 3s than he is at using quickness against bigger 4s, and having AG's rebounding at the 3 helps make us an elite defensive rebounding team. He doesn't have to be a Paul George-style playmaker to be a small forward. The overwhelming majority of SFs in the NBA do not play like George.

I said this before last season about AG and Isaac: If they can hit threes, then AG is a starting SF and Isaac is a starting PF. If they can't hit threes, Isaac is a center and AG isn't a starter at any position. Last year made me believe that they will be good enough shooters to play together at the forward spots, and the acquisition of Aminu makes me believe that the plan is to reduce AG's minutes at the 4.
pepe1991
RealGM
And1: 16,284

Post#9 » by pepe1991 » Fri Jul 19, 2019 12:50 pm

Catledge wrote:

I know that most people disagree with me on this, but I am convinced AG is a small forward. He is only average at defending in the post, doesn't really defend the rim, is only slightly above average as a rebounder, and all the banging from playing half of his minutes at the 4 (and playing too many minutes) left him with a sore back and shoulder at the end of last season.

On the other hand, the one thing he does better than anything else is defend the 3. His ball handling is only so-so, but there are plenty of NBA 3s who are similar or inferior ball handlers (Harrison Barnes, Trevor Ariza, Otto Porter). AG is much more effective at overpowering smaller 3s than he is at using quickness against bigger 4s, and having AG's rebounding at the 3 helps make us an elite defensive rebounding team. He doesn't have to be a Paul George-style playmaker to be a small forward. The overwhelming majority of SFs in the NBA do not play like George.

I said this before last season about AG and Isaac: If they can hit threes, then AG is a starting SF and Isaac is a starting PF. If they can't hit threes, Isaac is a center and AG isn't a starter at any position. Last year made me believe that they will be good enough shooters to play together at the forward spots, and the acquisition of Aminu makes me believe that the plan is to reduce AG's minutes at the 4.

to me it's more about who plays with him at second wing.
If he is "SF" but other wing is fluid athlete who can shoot and handle a ball, than you would not have problems with AG. You pretty much have two fluid wings.
But if you put Isaac next to him, who is stiff , has poor handles, never attacks off dribble and is pretty much glued to the spot where he recives a ball and can't make extra passes , you have problem.
It comes as no suprise that Magic "death" lineup has Gordon at PF because Ross and Evan switch between SG-SF spot.
Again, not because Ross and Evan are elite ,but because they are good enough shooters to make defefense respect them.

In 2016 Magic best lineup was Payton-Dipo- Hezonja-Gordon -Vuc
Second best with Gordon - Jennings, Dipo- Evan, Gordon ,Dedmon

Payton, Evan ,Ross, Gordon Vučević

best lineup was identical to Magic finishing lineup this year, with Dj, Evan, Ross,Gordon and Vuc

In last 3 years in best lineups only in one Gordon was at SF, with Ibaka at PF.

I think it would be really,really stupid to move Gordon just to give Isaac more time , i really don't see place and space for him to ever come close to a player Gordon is. Gordon in second year, at age of 20 was better player than Isaac was at age of 22. He was literally better at everything but blocks.
Life is what happens when you're busy making other plans. -John Lennon
tiderulz
RealGM
And1: 14,104

Post#10 » by tiderulz » Fri Jul 19, 2019 12:57 pm

Catledge wrote:

not that many 3's are much smaller than him. I actually think he needs to lose a little weight. Looks too muscled up right now and I think it affected his game a little last year
Catledge
Starter

Post#11 » by Catledge » Fri Jul 19, 2019 1:05 pm

tiderulz wrote:
Catledge wrote:

not that many 3's are much smaller than him. I actually think he needs to lose a little weight. Looks too muscled up right now and I think it affected his game a little last year

Yeah, I can see that. I actually think that there tends to be too much focus on adding mass in NBA player development. I think Isaac and Bamba, for instance, should focus more on improving explosiveness. Sure, a little more mass is nice for both, but they shouldn't rush to add that mass at the cost of quickness and upward explosiveness.
Catledge
Starter

Post#12 » by Catledge » Fri Jul 19, 2019 1:16 pm

pepe1991 wrote:
Catledge wrote:

If he is "SF" but other wing is fluid athlete who can shoot and handle a ball, than you would not have problems with AG. You pretty much have two fluid wings.
But if you put Isaac next to him, who is stiff , has poor handles, never attacks off dribble and is pretty much glued to the spot where he recives a ball and can't make extra passes , you have problem.
It comes as no suprise that Magic "death" lineup has Gordon at PF because Ross and Evan switch between SG-SF spot.
Again, not because Ross and Evan are elite ,but because they are good enough shooters to make defefense respect them.

best lineup was identical to Magic finishing lineup this year, with Dj, Evan, Ross,Gordon and Vuc

I think it would be really,really stupid to move Gordon just to give Isaac more time , i really don't see place and space for him to ever come close to a player Gordon is. Gordon in second year, at age of 20 was better player than Isaac was at age of 22. He was literally better at everything but blocks.

I'll grant that if Isaac doesn't evolve beyond what he was last year, then we've got problems, but those problems are not about what position AG's playing.

I'm not really persuaded by the 2016-17 lineups because AG was more raw then. As to last year's lineups, I think that's more about Ross just being a better basketball player than Isaac was. If I'm right about Aminu (granted, I'm frequently wrong about plenty of stuff), then I expect that we will only see DJ/Evan/Ross/Gordon/Vooch in crunch time. Aminu will be at PF during that part of the rotation in the first half.
spinedoc
RealGM
And1: 4,164

Post#13 » by spinedoc » Fri Jul 19, 2019 1:16 pm

I voted yes of course. Its the crux of the problem with this team, mainly because who we have or have not paired him with as Pepe says. I see redundancy, and not in a good way. Catledge is right, AG is best at sf defensively, but I do believe he is a better mismatch at pf offensively and because of his lack of shooting and ball skills. That pains me to say because I'm not okay with the evolution of the game so to speak. I prefer a more traditional style of team. I like the "p" in pf to mean what it says. I do like a change of pace off the bench, but not my mainstay at the position, and the pay should match the role. I say trade AG as almost a compliment, I believe he has the most value between him and Isaac right now, but I do not like the two of them together whatsoever. The real fish or cut bait moment will have to come before we pay JI his next contract. We better be damn sure by then otherwise we're stuck. Sure, we could trade someone after the fact, but it will be tougher, and then what do we do with AG's next contract. It will get messier if we don't deal with it right now, and of course more lost time. If we had a dynamic pg or even sg, maybe the problem wouldn't be as glaring. But right now, there is such an imbalance to this team a blind man with a seeing eye dog should be able to see it. I do like Ross, and to a much lesser extent Evan, but this team needs a real wing that we can depend on in crunch time. Also, and just because the rest of the league is going this route with tweeners running up and down the court, it doesn't mean we have to. While everyone else is zigging, we should be zagging. I believe its a fad at worst, and a misguided trend at best. Everything is circular, and the league will get back to its roots eventually. I would like to be at the doorstep when that happens.
Instincts
Pro Prospect
And1: 476

Post#14 » by Instincts » Fri Jul 19, 2019 4:53 pm

Catledge wrote:
pepe1991 wrote:
Catledge wrote:

I'll grant that if Isaac doesn't evolve beyond what he was last year, then we've got problems, but those problems are not about what position AG's playing.

I'm not really persuaded by the 2016-17 lineups because AG was more raw then. As to last year's lineups, I think that's more about Ross just being a better basketball player than Isaac was. If I'm right about Aminu (granted, I'm frequently wrong about plenty of stuff), then I expect that we will only see DJ/Evan/Ross/Gordon/Vooch in crunch time. Aminu will be at PF during that part of the rotation in the first half.

I completely agree that AG is a SF. I think people will come around this year when AGs play making stats take another big jump. In short, Isaac has to able to shoot to play power forward. I think he is capable.
Instincts
Pro Prospect
And1: 476

Post#15 » by Instincts » Fri Jul 19, 2019 5:09 pm

It is refreshing to see the result of this poll.
Darth Magic
Veteran
And1: 707

Post#16 » by Darth Magic » Fri Jul 19, 2019 5:50 pm

Should we trade him? Yes, for the right return. I have been eyeballing a DLo for AG trade this summer and i think it's still doable. I was listening to a podcast AG did earlier this year and he had a lot of great things to say about the Bay Area. I actually think he'd make a great compliment to Steph, Klay and Draymond.

Will we? I think so. Looking at how the team is constructed right now, i think we are primed for a trade. AG is a good young piece and he could fetch us the wing/Guard help we need. I fully expect him to be gone by the trade deadline or the draft.
"Real Gs move in silence; like lasagna" Jeff Weltman
PrimeThyme
RealGM
And1: 14,374

Post#17 » by PrimeThyme » Fri Jul 19, 2019 7:33 pm

I would trade everyone on this roster not named Isaac before I traded AG. I'd rather attempt to nurse Fultz back to health or target a guard in 2021 free agency. Or attach a first to Bamba and try to entice a team that way. There are a lot of avenues I would exhaust first before I decided to trade him.
NBlue
Rookie
And1: 714

Post#18 » by NBlue » Fri Jul 19, 2019 7:43 pm

Let's be real clear about this. In the playoffs last year against the world champs AG shot 40% from 3, guarded the best player in the whole of the NBA playoffs and averaged 17-8-4 all while carrying a bit of a knock through several of the games. And he is 23 years old.

I agree that he is probably better suited to the 3 but I also don't care. He is an absolute stud and a weapon on both ends. He is our best perimeter defender and one of our best offensive threats. He is also a team guy on a team friendly contract. He is the definition of a guy you want to keep on your team.

I'm not saying he can't be moved - I am saying if you move him you better be getting the stars and the moon.
Knightro
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 24,345

Post#19 » by Knightro » Fri Jul 19, 2019 8:01 pm

100% depends on the return.

The Magic have positioned their roster to be able to withstand trading Gordon away.

It would need to be for a high end point guard or shooting guard.
basketballRob
RealGM
And1: 10,715

Post#20 » by basketballRob » Fri Jul 19, 2019 8:08 pm

Darth Magic wrote:Should we trade him? Yes, for the right return. I have been eyeballing a DLo for AG trade this summer and i think it's still doable. I was listening to a podcast AG did earlier this year and he had a lot of great things to say about the Bay Area. I actually think he'd make a great compliment to Steph, Klay and Draymond.

Will we? I think so. Looking at how the team is constructed right now, i think we are primed for a trade. AG is a good young piece and he could fetch us the wing/Guard help we need. I fully expect him to be gone by the trade deadline or the draft.

You'd probably have to package DJ with him to make the contracts match for DLo.

Return to Orlando Magic