ImageImageImageImage

How Would You Rank ORL's Assets This Year?

Moderators: Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL, UCF

Ducklett
Head Coach
And1: 4,986

Re: How Would You Rank ORL's Assets This Year? 

Post#21 » by Ducklett » Wed Jul 24, 2019 4:33 am

tiderulz wrote:
The Real Dalic wrote:
tiderulz wrote:its all perception. Outside of the Orlando fan forum, Evan is viewed as a negative asset.

to me

Good Asset - good player, not outrageously paid or too old
AG
Vuc
Ross
DJ
Isaac - still viewed as more potential than anything else
FRP - in between neutral and good asset, depending on if we make playoffs again

Neutral Asset - older, unproven or slightly overpaid
Chuma
Aminu
Birch
Bamba
Evan - somewhere between neutral/negative. needs to return to form this next year

Negative Asset - overpaid or negative floor impact
Fultz - until we see him play
MCW - good energy, but that is all he brings
Frazier

Curious as to why you have Bamba as a neutral asset? He is unproven, but aren't most rookies/second year players? I would bet most teams would like to give up some of their good assets to pick him up. He's got elite size, length, and could be an elite shotblocker. He's got great range for a Center, he's quick and agile for a big as well.

He needs to learn defensive positioning for sure, but he's definitely got sky high potential. This is coming from someone who didn't even want to draft him and was disappointed in his rookie season.

because he already has a little health issue, isnt good on defense (which all he has to do is hold his hands up and he can affect shots) and isnt that great on offense. His numbers were not great across the board. Now he is a rookie and a project, so i dont view him as a negative yet, but i dont view him positive either. and I may be wrong, but most 2nd year players you are starting to get an idea what they might develop into. I dont think we know what Bamba will develop into yet.

I agree with your premise, but good lord man on your list you have Bamba one spot above Fournier. If Fournier shoots as horribly as he did last year and looks as low IQ on the offensive side of the ball as last year, he is a top 25 worst contract in the league. You are comparing that to a young, insanely athletic/measured big who had a mild injury and got as many minutes as Isaac did his rookie year give or take... Did you give up on Isaac this fast too?
orlando_joe
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,659

Post#22 » by orlando_joe » Wed Jul 24, 2019 9:30 am

Ducklett wrote:
tiderulz wrote:
The Real Dalic wrote:Curious as to why you have Bamba as a neutral asset? He is unproven, but aren't most rookies/second year players? I would bet most teams would like to give up some of their good assets to pick him up. He's got elite size, length, and could be an elite shotblocker. He's got great range for a Center, he's quick and agile for a big as well.

He needs to learn defensive positioning for sure, but he's definitely got sky high potential. This is coming from someone who didn't even want to draft him and was disappointed in his rookie season.

because he already has a little health issue, isnt good on defense (which all he has to do is hold his hands up and he can affect shots) and isnt that great on offense. His numbers were not great across the board. Now he is a rookie and a project, so i dont view him as a negative yet, but i dont view him positive either. and I may be wrong, but most 2nd year players you are starting to get an idea what they might develop into. I dont think we know what Bamba will develop into yet.

I agree with your premise, but good lord man on your list you have Bamba one spot above Fournier. If Fournier shoots as horribly as he did last year and looks as low IQ on the offensive side of the ball as last year, he is a top 25 worst contract in the league. You are comparing that to a young, insanely athletic/measured big who had a mild injury and got as many minutes as Isaac did his rookie year give or take... Did you give up on Isaac this fast too?

he was not that bad...I think will be better...not like he was westbrook bad..his 3 ball was off by 3 percent? 2 percent? if he shoots like every other yr magic will be hoping he opts in ..lol...I know I will
basketballRob
RealGM
And1: 10,713

Post#23 » by basketballRob » Wed Jul 24, 2019 11:12 am

I would think Vucevic is our number 1 trade asset. He was one of the top free agents this year and signed a reasonable contract.

AG would be number 2.

Ross 3.

Aminu 4.

Fournier 5.

Sent from my SM-G965U using RealGM mobile app
Xatticus
Head Coach
And1: 7,959

Post#24 » by Xatticus » Thu Jul 25, 2019 4:04 am

Ducklett wrote:
tiderulz wrote:
The Real Dalic wrote:Curious as to why you have Bamba as a neutral asset? He is unproven, but aren't most rookies/second year players? I would bet most teams would like to give up some of their good assets to pick him up. He's got elite size, length, and could be an elite shotblocker. He's got great range for a Center, he's quick and agile for a big as well.

Agreed.

I think when you talk about players as assets, you have to consider their appeal around the league and how that appeal is going to vary from franchise to franchise. What we gave up for Fultz may have made sense for us, but the math for us was different than for other franchises.

Bamba is going to have appeal to any franchises that aren't too concerned with short-term results. He is a project that will need development time, but that isn't a deterrent for every franchise and the long-term upside is still there.

If a player is overpaid and doesn't possess significant potential for growth, you are going to have to take back an even worse contract to get any positive assets in return. I'm sure there is a market out there for Fournier, but nobody is going to consider trading him as a means to improve this team near-term because he is a negative asset.
"Xatticus has always been, in my humble opinion best poster here. Should write articles or something."
-pepe1991

Return to Orlando Magic