ImageImageImageImage

Ranking Orlando’s Young Core

Moderators: Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL, UCF

MagicMatic
RealGM
And1: 12,917

Ranking Orlando’s Young Core 

Post#1 » by MagicMatic » Sun Jul 28, 2019 8:53 pm

Thought this was an interesting article on power ranking young cores of every nba team.

https://www.theringer.com/nba/2019/7/23/20703286/nba-young-core-rankings

They used FiveThirtyEight’s CARMELO player projections, which develop a multiseason future forecast based on a player’s history, it determines the number of wins above replacement over the next five seasons for every player on each team’s roster. They then further filtered out players 25 and under based on those projections.

Basically Orlando ranked 11th out of 30.

11. Orlando Magic
WAR: 43.0 | Best Under-25 Player: Aaron Gordon (16.2)

Most players discussed in this exercise are unproven, with large error bars in their future projections. But the Magic seem to take that uncertainty to another level. Beyond Gordon, young Orlando players include Jonathan Isaac, Markelle Fultz, injured 2019 first-rounder Chuma Okeke, and Mo Bamba—all of whom could conceivably develop into starters on a playoff team or flunk out of the league within a few years.

I’ll have to admit I was surprised to see Orlando ranked higher than teams like Sacramento and Chicago.
Magic_Johnny12
RealGM
And1: 8,454

Re: Ranking Orlando’s Young Core 

Post#2 » by Magic_Johnny12 » Mon Jul 29, 2019 5:00 pm

MagicMatic wrote:Thought this was an interesting article on power ranking young cores of every nba team.

They used FiveThirtyEight’s CARMELO player projections, which develop a multiseason future forecast based on a player’s history, it determines the number of wins above replacement over the next five seasons for every player on each team’s roster. They then further filtered out players 25 and under based on those projections.

11. Orlando Magic

Most players discussed in this exercise are unproven, with large error bars in their future projections. But the Magic seem to take that uncertainty to another level. Beyond Gordon, young Orlando players include Jonathan Isaac, Markelle Fultz, injured 2019 first-rounder Chuma Okeke, and Mo Bamba—all of whom could conceivably develop into starters on a playoff team or flunk out of the league within a few years.

I’ll have to admit I was surprised to see Orlando ranked higher than teams like Sacramento and Chicago.

I sure wasn't.
PM me if you can help a brotha finally get an AVI.
MagicMatic
RealGM

Post#3 » by MagicMatic » Mon Jul 29, 2019 5:11 pm

Magic_Johnny12 wrote:
MagicMatic wrote:Thought this was an interesting article on power ranking young cores of every nba team.

11. Orlando Magic

I sure wasn't.

Of course you weren’t.
fendilim
RealGM
And1: 5,017

Post#4 » by fendilim » Mon Jul 29, 2019 5:14 pm

11. Orlando Magic

Dont really like chicago’s young players. But yeah, i thought sac would be ranked higher. Deaaron fox is gonna be good
MagicMatic
RealGM

Post#5 » by MagicMatic » Mon Jul 29, 2019 5:16 pm

fendilim wrote:

11. Orlando Magic

Dont really like chicago’s young players. But yeah, i thought sac would be ranked higher. Deaaron fox is gonna be good

Yeah I think he’s probably the best name out of the three teams as of right now. Not a huge fan of Chicago’s roster either, but their bigs Markkanen and Carter are very promising.
j-ragg
RealGM
And1: 11,652

Post#6 » by j-ragg » Mon Jul 29, 2019 5:31 pm

Not sure how much I trust that stat. Fox and Hield are way more valuable than any of our young guys, plus Bagley is on his way. Interesting though.
BadMofoPimp wrote:Durant thinks Vooch is one of the Best Centers in the NBA. I will take his word over a couch-GM yelling at a TV.
MagicMatic
RealGM

Post#7 » by MagicMatic » Mon Jul 29, 2019 5:34 pm

j-ragg wrote:Not sure how much I trust that stat. Fox and Hield are way more valuable than any of our young guys, plus Bagley is on his way. Interesting though.

I thought the same, but Hield is 26. Outside of Bagley and Fox they really only have Kyle Guy and Giles. Still two of the bigger names though on the list for potential.
j-ragg
RealGM
And1: 11,652

Post#8 » by j-ragg » Mon Jul 29, 2019 5:40 pm

MagicMatic wrote:
j-ragg wrote:Not sure how much I trust that stat. Fox and Hield are way more valuable than any of our young guys, plus Bagley is on his way. Interesting though.

I thought the same, but Hield is 26. Outside of Bagley and Fox they really only have Kyle Guy and Giles. Still two of the bigger names though on the list for potential.

Damn forgot Buddy came in to the league so old. Makes more sense then, but yeah Fox is the cream of the crop. And I kinda undersold Bagley a little, he was really good this year. I remember we liked him a lot before the draft. Not to go OT but with Dedmon and Ariza they have a solid team. Kind of hate that Barnes deal but I love that core. Bogdan too.
BadMofoPimp wrote:Durant thinks Vooch is one of the Best Centers in the NBA. I will take his word over a couch-GM yelling at a TV.
JBSouthpaw
Analyst
And1: 1,273

Post#9 » by JBSouthpaw » Tue Jul 30, 2019 12:29 pm

j-ragg wrote:
MagicMatic wrote:

Damn forgot Buddy came in to the league so old. Makes more sense then, but yeah Fox is the cream of the crop. And I kinda undersold Bagley a little, he was really good this year. I remember we liked him a lot before the draft. Not to go OT but with Dedmon and Ariza they have a solid team. Kind of hate that Barnes deal but I love that core. Bogdan too.

Yeah, Sac was in the playoff race most of the season. I like a lot of their pieces, though they might slip a little this year, more from other teams getting better..
They aren't getting by GS,LAC,LAL,UT,Den,POR, N.O., HOU, SAS

Return to Orlando Magic