ImageImageImageImage

Magic sign guard Hassani Gravett

Moderators: Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL, UCF

Knightro
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 24,149

Re: Magic sign guard Hassani Gravett 

Post#21 » by Knightro » Wed Aug 14, 2019 1:21 pm

PrimeThyme wrote:Bamba will be the backup center to start the season. I'm positive on that, he is not a potential rotation piece. Now, whether or not he can play well enough to keep it from Birch throughout the season is another question.

I agree with this. It's going to be *really* interesting to see what Clifford does if Mo struggles at all and Birch matches last year's production.

But getting back on topic, Gravett has some semi interesting potential as a shooter. Hit 40% of his college threes on over 5 attempts a game.

One of my biggest hopes for this season beyond success on the court is that I really hope the Magic are finally going to put legitimate emphasis on Lakeland as a developmental tool.

That is one thing that teams like Toronto and Denver have done really well. They didn't all spend extensive time in the G-League, but you look up and down the Raptors and Nuggets rosters and they have undrafted guys, guys picked in the 20s and guys picked in the 2nd round all contributing and maximizing their abilities.
drsd
RealGM
And1: 7,891

Post#22 » by drsd » Wed Aug 14, 2019 1:38 pm

tiderulz wrote: ... then still spent 4 years working his way thru USBL, CBA and overseas.

It is this that Gravett can look towards. If he fully commits for 3-5 yers of developmental Basketball, his one marketable NBA skill - shooting - could lead him to play in the Bigs (one day).

He has to "want it", but certainly there is precedent for bench-playing NCAA players (eventually) logging NBA minutes.

Last Guardian
RealGM
And1: 3,874

Post#23 » by Last Guardian » Wed Aug 14, 2019 2:22 pm

Anyone that can shoot is welcome on this team. Especially a guard. He looks like he could be DJ only bigger.
fateis007
Rookie
And1: 813

Post#24 » by fateis007 » Wed Aug 14, 2019 4:43 pm

Anyone who thinks Birch is playing over Bamba is crazy.

First off, the only way he develops is putting him in a position too, and we used a high pick on him

But let's be honest here, I like birch, but he is an undersized for the position and cant shoot and is being paid minimum.

No way he replaces a 21 year old, 7 footer who is a stretch 5 and has one of the longest wingspan in the NBA.

It's just not happening. Just on the monetary investment a lone.
Orange Ave.
Sixth Man
And1: 280

Post#25 » by Orange Ave. » Wed Aug 14, 2019 5:29 pm

are we still doing wingspan jokes or nah? Hadn't seen it asked yet. Just wondering...
cigamodnalro: "Orange Ave...One of my favorite guys here."

zuppafly: "Orange Ave was not a bandwagoner. He is a long time magic fan."
tiderulz
RealGM
And1: 14,095

Post#26 » by tiderulz » Wed Aug 14, 2019 5:55 pm

fateis007 wrote:Anyone who thinks Birch is playing over Bamba is crazy.

First off, the only way he develops is putting him in a position too, and we used a high pick on him

But let's be honest here, I like birch, but he is an undersized for the position and cant shoot and is being paid minimum.

No way he replaces a 21 year old, 7 footer who is a stretch 5 and has one of the longest wingspan in the NBA.

It's just not happening. Just on the monetary investment a lone.

i agree with a lot of your points. But 30% from 3 on 1.5 fga is not a stretch 5. at least not one i would want to play. And he has to use that wingspan, get his arms up on defense, which i didnt see a lot of. Just getting them up would affect shots.
JBSouthpaw
Analyst
And1: 1,273

Post#27 » by JBSouthpaw » Thu Aug 15, 2019 1:09 am

tiderulz wrote:
drsd wrote:Back on topic, is this another PG to develop? What's Gravett's upside?

was a bench player as a senior, started 5 games out of 32 played. 11ppg, 4 rpg

Watched him through the years face the Gators. Very much a Frank Martin type player, not afraid to defend and go all out. I thought he made a big jump Jr to Sr years.
Just lacks elite athleticism

Return to Orlando Magic