Re: Doc Rivers Says Tim Duncan Plane Story Untrue 

Post#21 » by SHAQ32 » Mon Sep 9, 2019 2:04 pm

John was a great GM.
magicman112
Head Coach
And1: 1,720

Post#22 » by magicman112 » Wed Sep 11, 2019 3:31 pm

AdamTheGreek wrote:Eh, it's not a strong debunking from Doc. At the end it's a combination of things.

Duncan's then-girlfriend/fiancee who would become his wife was a bigger influence then the Magic thought (and then Timmy ended up having to divorce her anyway) and we catered to just Duncan.
Popovich and Robinson gave it their all to keep him.
There are some guys that view loyalty in business/profession as important. Duncan thought he could be a lifer Spur.

Yes, the word was his then GF was not too impressed with things here. Allegedly Doc's wife had gone out with her to lunch or something and texted Doc "You have a problem." And The Admiral interrupting his vacation to come back to SA and talk with him made a huge impact as well.
magicman112
Head Coach
And1: 1,720

Post#23 » by magicman112 » Wed Sep 11, 2019 3:33 pm

Optimus_Steel wrote:
Skin wrote:Another story that I like to forget is how close we were to trading up for Amare Stoudemire.
Actually we had that draft pick that became Amare, I think from the Penny Hardaway to PHX trade. Then we gave them back that pick in exchange for Jud Bucheler's expiring contract in that year John Gabriel was shedding salary to make a run at Hill/Duncan/Tmac. Alot of what ifs with this team.

Bo Outlaw and that pick for Jud Freaking Bucheler. I know it was for the expriring but for me one of the worst trades the Magic made. Bucheler did absolutely nothing for the Magic

Return to Orlando Magic