ImageImageImageImage

Official Speculation Thread ‘19-'20 III: It's B-ball Time !!!

Moderators: Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL, UCF

MagicFan101
RealGM
And1: 6,498

Re: Official Speculation Thread ‘19-'20 III: It's B-ball Time !!! 

Post#1021 » by MagicFan101 » Sat Oct 19, 2019 7:25 pm

basketballRob wrote:
MagicFan101 wrote:When Gordon is having a good night, he is far superior to anything Isaac has shown offensively so far.

The problem here is that Gordon is so damn hot and cold and while he is solid on the other end, Isaac is a monster EVERY SINGLE NIGHT.

It took Gordon a while to get to the point where he could have these big nights sprinkled in. I have faith that Isaac will as well. The defensive end is where he will always earn his money and leaves Gordon far behind.

Easy choice here. Isaac > Gordon.
Same could be said about DJ and Fournier. Both of those players could give you a total blank on certain nights.

Sent from my SM-G965U using RealGM mobile app

Not sure how this relates or adds anything to the conversation but sure.
basketballRob
RealGM
And1: 10,688

Post#1022 » by basketballRob » Sat Oct 19, 2019 7:46 pm

MagicFan101 wrote:
basketballRob wrote:
MagicFan101 wrote:When Gordon is having a good night, he is far superior to anything Isaac has shown offensively so far.

The problem here is that Gordon is so damn hot and cold and while he is solid on the other end, Isaac is a monster EVERY SINGLE NIGHT.

It took Gordon a while to get to the point where he could have these big nights sprinkled in. I have faith that Isaac will as well. The defensive end is where he will always earn his money and leaves Gordon far behind.

Easy choice here. Isaac > Gordon.
Same could be said about DJ and Fournier. Both of those players could give you a total blank on certain nights.

Not sure if we can have a consistently good team with 3 players that could blank out at any time. We saw it last year when we would beat the best teams and lose to bad teams.

My point is we probably need to upgrade or consolidate some of our players for someone who's consistent.

If you could flip DJ and AG for Russell for example, I'd do it.

MagicFan101
RealGM
And1: 6,498

Post#1023 » by MagicFan101 » Sat Oct 19, 2019 8:11 pm

basketballRob wrote:
MagicFan101 wrote:
basketballRob wrote:Same could be said about DJ and Fournier. Both of those players could give you a total blank on certain nights.

Not sure if we can have a consistently good team with 3 players that could blank out at any time. We saw it last year when we would beat the best teams and lose to bad teams.

My point is we probably need to upgrade or consolidate some of our players for someone who's consistent.

a) DJ was pretty fantastic for us last year. I’m not sure if he can reproduce that but we surely want Fultz to assume that role soon. Also, DJ is in the final year of his contract. If Fultz becomes Fultz sooner than expected then we could flip DJ for a cap troubled team or just not resign him in the offseason.

b) Evan has to be our most available player in trade talks. The problem is that he might not be so desirable. We need to pair him with picks or perhaps even Bamba or AG to get a real upgrade at *SG.

— edit: that was supposed to say “upgrade at SG” not PG. I’m all in on Fultz. Guess I am so used to saying we need a PG!
basketballRob
RealGM
And1: 10,688

Post#1024 » by basketballRob » Sat Oct 19, 2019 8:24 pm

MagicFan101 wrote:
basketballRob wrote:
MagicFan101 wrote:

a) DJ was pretty fantastic for us last year. I’m not sure if he can reproduce that but we surely want Fultz to assume that role soon. Also, DJ is in the final year of his contract. If Fultz becomes Fultz sooner than expected then we could flip DJ for a cap troubled team or just not resign him in the offseason.

b) Evan has to be our most available player in trade talks. The problem is that he might not be so desirable. We need to pair him with picks or perhaps even Bamba or AG to get a real upgrade at PG.
Really someone who can consistently score preferably by drawing fouls at any position. Not sure they would include Bamba in a deal since he's young and is showing signs of being a really good scoring center.

DJ had a good year but he can be shut out. I doubt Raymond brothers would let us trade him. We have 3 of his players signed and now Quentin Richardson is being added to the Foxsports crew. Brothers must have something on Weham.

Knightro
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 24,154

Post#1025 » by Knightro » Sat Oct 19, 2019 8:44 pm

Def Swami wrote:Having both Isaac and Gordon is such a huge part of the identify of the team. Having two lockdown guys who can switch across the board is a large reason for our defensive prowess last season. I'd hate to lose either, but we're at such a dearth of shooting and playmaking; someone has to go at some point to make up for these weaknesses (especially, since the front office isn't addressing it in the draft or free agency).

Don't disagree with this whatsoever, but that's where Aminu comes into play.

I have a feeling Aminu (positive DBPM all 9 years of his career, 2.5 DWS average the last five years) could step right into all of Gordon's minutes and the team would have little to no drop off defensively and could maintain that defensive identity.

With that in mind, it makes moving Gordon for an offensive playmaker much easier to swallow.
The Real Dalic
RealGM
And1: 7,031

Post#1026 » by The Real Dalic » Sat Oct 19, 2019 10:15 pm

Knightro wrote:
Def Swami wrote:Having both Isaac and Gordon is such a huge part of the identify of the team. Having two lockdown guys who can switch across the board is a large reason for our defensive prowess last season. I'd hate to lose either, but we're at such a dearth of shooting and playmaking; someone has to go at some point to make up for these weaknesses (especially, since the front office isn't addressing it in the draft or free agency).

Don't disagree with this whatsoever, but that's where Aminu comes into play.

I have a feeling Aminu (positive DBPM all 9 years of his career, 2.5 DWS average the last five years) could step right into all of Gordon's minutes and the team would have little to no drop off defensively and could maintain that defensive identity.

With that in mind, it makes moving Gordon for an offensive playmaker much easier to swallow.

I'm really expecting a small jump in AG's production this season so I would like for him to stay. But, having Aminu here in the event that AG remains the same or even regresses is nice. We could move AG with a small drop off mostly on the offensive side.

We're gonna need to help Vuc and Ross on the offensive end eventually. Can't have them taking on all the scoring all the time. Fournier and AG have to step up this season, or we're gonna have to move on from them.
God. Family. Country. Basketball.
Mauro Pedrosa
Analyst
And1: 4,387

Post#1027 » by Mauro Pedrosa » Sun Oct 20, 2019 2:06 am

Just drafted Evan Fournier in my main fantasy league, and have Evan + Vuc in another league that I was invited to this year. LET'S GO BUDDY BALL
pepe1991
RealGM
And1: 16,224

Post#1028 » by pepe1991 » Sun Oct 20, 2019 8:41 am

Life is what happens when you're busy making other plans. -John Lennon
thelead
RealGM
And1: 25,501

Post#1029 » by thelead » Sun Oct 20, 2019 2:22 pm

pepe1991 wrote:

ugh

Didn’t watch the video but he has always looked like a Larry Johnson clone... injury concerns and all due to size and playing style. I hope Zion can withstand it all as I think he’s even more talented than Larry was. He can be special.
Popsicle1228
Junior
And1: 326

Post#1030 » by Popsicle1228 » Sun Oct 20, 2019 3:04 pm

cedric76 wrote:Hard to find a trade for buddy hield as his contract is so small

FOX
Bogdan
Barnes
Bagley
Mo

Buddy for Mo+2019 1st +2021 1st is the most we could offer and i think it wouldnt be enough

I think if any trade were made they would want to throw in Barnes contract in exchange for young talent. Namely a player like Gordon who has a similar salary. If the cap were not projected to take a hit (China issue), I would fully expect Sac to resign Hield for near what he is asking, but the cap situation makes me think a trade is a slight possibility (very slight). If we could get Hield on this team, even for a young core player like Gordon and another young player with potential, it would really open the offense.
ezzzp
Head Coach
And1: 3,462

Post#1031 » by ezzzp » Sun Oct 20, 2019 6:15 pm

duplicate
cedric76
RealGM
And1: 3,179

Post#1032 » by cedric76 » Sun Oct 20, 2019 7:24 pm

Popsicle1228 wrote:

FOX
Bogdan
Barnes
Bagley
Mo

Buddy for Mo+2019 1st +2021 1st is the most we could offer and i think it wouldnt be enough

I think if any trade were made they would want to throw in Barnes contract in exchange for young talent. Namely a player like Gordon who has a similar salary. If the cap were not projected to take a hit (China issue), I would fully expect Sac to resign Hield for near what he is asking, but the cap situation makes me think a trade is a slight possibility (very slight). If we could get Hield on this team, even for a young core player like Gordon and another young player with potential, it would really open the offense.

I would do

Barnes+Hield+filler for Gordon+ross+mo +2020 1st
Grayson or Monk? Bring the cheapest

unleash Jett next seaon
RookieStar
RealGM
And1: 5,789

Post#1033 » by RookieStar » Sun Oct 20, 2019 8:16 pm

cedric76 wrote:
Popsicle1228 wrote:

FOX
Bogdan
Barnes
Bagley
Mo

I would do

I thin we need to leav Ross out. We are already hurting from lack of scoring and the sure-fire threat we have of that getting shipped out won't help matters.
thelead
RealGM
And1: 25,501

Post#1034 » by thelead » Sun Oct 20, 2019 8:39 pm

cedric76 wrote:
Popsicle1228 wrote:

FOX
Bogdan
Barnes
Bagley
Mo

I would do

Gross. When did Buddy become an all-nba player?
cedric76
RealGM
And1: 3,179

Post#1035 » by cedric76 » Sun Oct 20, 2019 8:49 pm

thelead wrote:
cedric76 wrote:
Popsicle1228 wrote:

I would do

Fultz. Dj
Hield. Evan
Barnes. Okeke
Isaac. Chief
Vuc. Birch
Grayson or Monk? Bring the cheapest

unleash Jett next seaon
RookieStar
RealGM
And1: 5,789

Post#1036 » by RookieStar » Sun Oct 20, 2019 10:50 pm

cedric76 wrote:
thelead wrote:
cedric76 wrote:
I would do

Fultz. Dj
Hield. Evan
Barnes. Okeke
Isaac. Chief
Vuc. Birch

From one of the best defense last season to....... ????
yoyojw17
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,090

Post#1037 » by yoyojw17 » Sun Oct 20, 2019 11:53 pm

crazy to thing that buddy is nearly a year older than evan. Forget that he was in college for 4 years! makes even more sense why he's holding out hard.
MoMM
RealGM
And1: 1,715

Post#1038 » by MoMM » Mon Oct 21, 2019 12:42 am

yoyojw17 wrote:crazy to thing that buddy is nearly a year older than evan. Forget that he was in college for 4 years! makes even more sense why he's holding out hard.

He is two months younger than Evan.
Bensational
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 12,366

Post#1039 » by Bensational » Mon Oct 21, 2019 1:40 am

I think Evan would be more effective if we made him a spot shooter and not another playmaker. Too often he gets the ball at the elbow without enough separation from his defender to get a shot off, so he takes it in for a PnR with Vuc. But if he, instead, came into this spots looking to shoot like Ross, we'd likely see improved shot efficiency from him.

There's no reason his PnR plays can't go to Gordon (though it seems telling they won't because Gordon barely runs them), because that should help to open Fournier up for a better look, and it should help to get Gordon closer to the rim and out of midrange territory.

Perhaps if Fultz can challenge for the starting PG spot, that will take even more pressure off Fournier to be a playmaker, since DJ his limited vision when running point.
dsg2021
Analyst
And1: 1,030

Post#1040 » by dsg2021 » Mon Oct 21, 2019 4:56 am

Bensational wrote:I think Evan would be more effective if we made him a spot shooter and not another playmaker. Too often he gets the ball at the elbow without enough separation from his defender to get a shot off, so he takes it in for a PnR with Vuc. But if he, instead, came into this spots looking to shoot like Ross, we'd likely see improved shot efficiency from him.

There's no reason his PnR plays can't go to Gordon (though it seems telling they won't because Gordon barely runs them), because that should help to open Fournier up for a better look, and it should help to get Gordon closer to the rim and out of midrange territory.

Perhaps if Fultz can challenge for the starting PG spot, that will take even more pressure off Fournier to be a playmaker, since DJ his limited vision when running point.

+100

Return to Orlando Magic