ImageImageImageImage

Around the NBA, 2019/20 Edition

Moderators: UCFJayBird, Howard Mass, UCF, ChosenSavior, Knightro, SOUL, Def Swami

pepe1991
RealGM
Posts: 11,721
And1: 9,363
Joined: Jan 10, 2016
   

Around the NBA, 2019/20 Edition 

Post#1 » by pepe1991 » Fri Sep 27, 2019 8:29 am

I think it's time to bring this thread back for new season and there are lot of news .

ESPN experts give 54,5% chance to Clippers to win it all, 36,4% to Bucks , 6% to Philly.... 0% to Lakers.

Kyle Kuzma will have MRI on his foot as he got hurt.

Dwight allegedly told fan, who asked him will he join Lakers " F... no" week before he signed :lol:

Lot of players could be potential targets in trades this year, as some good players have player's option ( Hardaway Jr, Otto Porter, Drummond, Anthony Davis, Robin Lopez, Derozan...)

There are also lot of really good, but restricted FAs that could be target for potential trades like Bogdan Bogdanovic (kings one), Ingram, Malik Beasley, Saric, Jaylen Brown.

Free agency of 2020 looks kind a dry.
"A straight path never leads anywhere except to the objective."
Andre Gide
GelbeWand09
Junior
Posts: 450
And1: 555
Joined: Apr 17, 2018
       

Re: Around the NBA, 2019/20 Edition 

Post#2 » by GelbeWand09 » Fri Sep 27, 2019 1:48 pm

The Bucks / Philly % are way off for me. Seeing Giannis at the wc, it looks like his shot & range is the same (FT since the PO looking pretty bad too). Wonder how the Bucks wanna beat Philly, when they play the Toronto way, just with even longer Defenders (In case Embiid is finally healthy in the PO).
User avatar
PrimeThyme
General Manager
Posts: 8,110
And1: 10,382
Joined: May 25, 2016
Location: Doak Campbell
 

Re: Around the NBA, 2019/20 Edition 

Post#3 » by PrimeThyme » Fri Sep 27, 2019 3:43 pm

Not only is this the most excited I've been for a Magic season in 7 plus years but it's also the most excited I've been in a long time for the NBA season as a whole. The GS dynasty really took a toll on my enjoyment for watching the NBA (outside of Orlando). Lebron dominating the East for so long and us getting nothing but GS-Cavs finals didn't help either.

Kawai choosing to go to the Clippers instead of the Lakers should really make this season more interesting. It doesn't feel like there is any clear cut favorites in any conference, but especially the West. I could legitimately see 3-4 teams coming out of the west next season.

There is also a lot of fun young talent in the league right now. I'm interested to see what kind of a step a player like Fox can take and how good that Kings team can become. Zion and the Pelicans should be a blast too. Not as high on Atlanta as most are, but they are a division rival that is worth keeping an eye on too.

The 3-8th spot in the East is wide open in my eyes. Boston/Toronto/Indiana took a step back imo this offseason. Detroit/Miami/Brooklyn got marginally better and we are kind of the wild card. Depending on how much internal growth we see and if a guy like Fultz can give us anything I could see us jumping to as high as 3 but I also see a scenario where we finish 8th or just miss the playoffs. Teams like Chicago/Atlanta also have the ability to make things interesting in that 7-8th race.

It's going to be something we will be keeping an eye on all season.
Image
User avatar
drsd
RealGM
Posts: 27,812
And1: 4,417
Joined: Mar 16, 2003
     

Re: Around the NBA, 2019/20 Edition 

Post#4 » by drsd » Sat Sep 28, 2019 5:48 pm

In the Magic We Trust


Image
User avatar
drsd
RealGM
Posts: 27,812
And1: 4,417
Joined: Mar 16, 2003
     

Re: Around the NBA, 2019/20 Edition 

Post#5 » by drsd » Sun Sep 29, 2019 8:17 am

Half of the first round:
This is a fascinating video and it really gets to a point at the 2:10 point.


pepe1991
RealGM
Posts: 11,721
And1: 9,363
Joined: Jan 10, 2016
   

Re: Around the NBA, 2019/20 Edition 

Post#6 » by pepe1991 » Sun Sep 29, 2019 9:27 am

drsd wrote:Half of the first round:
This is a fascinating video and it really gets to a point at the 2:10 point.




Man i could write 40000 pages on this topic ( but who would want to read it? :lol: )

Anyway , this video is really,really good and makes lot of good points.

I will just highlight some:

- No, i would not draft 15 years old kid who is just hitting puberty and has enough money to live 50 lifes without needing a job. That's why most of HOF kids never become HOFs of their own, they don't have that drive as they are raised in wealth and never had to worked their a** off for anything.

- Zion not being "ready" for summerleague is best example why whole thing with training is silly and how this kids are mentally not ready for pros. He literally gained "dad bod" since last game at college, witch speeks volumen about his drive and determination.

- all pro athletes are overtrainined, and when kids get into that type of working system, they break, that's why 15 out of 30 first rond picks last year failed to play <50 games.

- modern coaches can be separated in two categories imo
1) idiot who will film his overweight NFL player squat 735 pounds that he has no benefit from
2) guy that will put straps on his player , tie him with additional strap, put 2 kettlebells in his arms and tell him to jump while he is dragging him downhill and use some broscience to "mimc natural movment"

- modern training changed to "oldschool"one and for athletes , instad of doing traditional, natural stuff like push, pull type of workouts they are now focused on this specific movments that IMO put way too much stress on singular muscle group ( and joint, and bone) instad of making athletes- all around better athletes.
If you noticed, not a single modern nba player has developed chest. Do you know why? Because they abblendend bench press for whatever reason. And in video you see Harden ( freaking top tear player in whole world! ) doing HALF PUSHUPS . Imagine being league's MVP, being worth probably $400 000 000 and you don't have coach that will teach you how to do PROPER PUSHUP!
I remember video of Dwight laying on a bench, and instad of doing normal bench press, his coach got him pulling himself up using bar. So guy is in position of bench, press, uses bench press bar, but instad of pulling weight ,he pulls his body. Spoiler alert, guy that big and strong isn't being challenged by this exercises and long term it's impossible to make any progress doing exercise that way, therfore it's usless gimmick and waste of his time.

Every time i watch workout trainings on youtube from NBA players , it's cringefest. Bunch of cable push type of movments, almost always on one leg with unnatural movment? When will player use one arm, single leg push in his career ? It's not compound movment, about of muscles involved is at most 2,3 and it's impossible to overloud to make progress . So why not stick to traditional deadlift, pullups,pushups, bench, front and back squat ? And only answer i can give is " it doesn't sell well"?

Whole new modern fitness is one huge gimmick for fat,lazy, stupid people. you have this "smoothie" drinks to "detox" you being sold for like $25 . Do you know what's best detox in whole world? Your freaking liver. So don't drawn yourself in sodas ,sugar and alcohol and liver will detox you- each and every day.
Than you have this fat loss crappy pills and what will make you slim? BEING IN CALORIC DEFICIT . Nothing ellse.

but hey, how to make a money by telling the truth?

But hey , Real Madrid , the richest and most iconic sport team in whole world has coaching stuff that told players to jump in leg press and lock knees and we are here being suprised that players having torn ACLs , torn achillies, broken legs like tootpicks ? Not really. Just bunch of idiots who get hired because of connections, politics, or sleeping with right people.
"A straight path never leads anywhere except to the objective."
Andre Gide
User avatar
tiderulz
RealGM
Posts: 29,630
And1: 10,612
Joined: Jun 16, 2010
Location: Atlanta
 

Re: Around the NBA, 2019/20 Edition 

Post#7 » by tiderulz » Sun Sep 29, 2019 1:58 pm

pepe1991 wrote:
drsd wrote:Half of the first round:
This is a fascinating video and it really gets to a point at the 2:10 point.




Man i could write 40000 pages on this topic ( but who would want to read it? :lol: )

Anyway , this video is really,really good and makes lot of good points.

I will just highlight some:

- No, i would not draft 15 years old kid who is just hitting puberty and has enough money to live 50 lifes without needing a job. That's why most of HOF kids never become HOFs of their own, they don't have that drive as they are raised in wealth and never had to worked their a** off for anything.

- Zion not being "ready" for summerleague is best example why whole thing with training is silly and how this kids are mentally not ready for pros. He literally gained "dad bod" since last game at college, witch speeks volumen about his drive and determination.

- all pro athletes are overtrainined, and when kids get into that type of working system, they break, that's why 15 out of 30 first rond picks last year failed to play <50 games.

- modern coaches can be separated in two categories imo
1) idiot who will film his overweight NFL player squat 735 pounds that he has no benefit from
2) guy that will put straps on his player , tie him with additional strap, put 2 kettlebells in his arms and tell him to jump while he is dragging him downhill and use some broscience to "mimc natural movment"

- modern training changed to "oldschool"one and for athletes , instad of doing traditional, natural stuff like push, pull type of workouts they are now focused on this specific movments that IMO put way too much stress on singular muscle group ( and joint, and bone) instad of making athletes- all around better athletes.
If you noticed, not a single modern nba player has developed chest. Do you know why? Because they abblendend bench press for whatever reason. And in video you see Harden ( freaking top tear player in whole world! ) doing HALF PUSHUPS . Imagine being league's MVP, being worth probably $400 000 000 and you don't have coach that will teach you how to do PROPER PUSHUP!
I remember video of Dwight laying on a bench, and instad of doing normal bench press, his coach got him pulling himself up using bar. So guy is in position of bench, press, uses bench press bar, but instad of pulling weight ,he pulls his body. Spoiler alert, guy that big and strong isn't being challenged by this exercises and long term it's impossible to make any progress doing exercise that way, therfore it's usless gimmick and waste of his time.

Every time i watch workout trainings on youtube from NBA players , it's cringefest. Bunch of cable push type of movments, almost always on one leg with unnatural movment? When will player use one arm, single leg push in his career ? It's not compound movment, about of muscles involved is at most 2,3 and it's impossible to overloud to make progress . So why not stick to traditional deadlift, pullups,pushups, bench, front and back squat ? And only answer i can give is " it doesn't sell well"?

Whole new modern fitness is one huge gimmick for fat,lazy, stupid people. you have this "smoothie" drinks to "detox" you being sold for like $25 . Do you know what's best detox in whole world? Your freaking liver. So don't drawn yourself in sodas ,sugar and alcohol and liver will detox you- each and every day.
Than you have this fat loss crappy pills and what will make you slim? BEING IN CALORIC DEFICIT . Nothing ellse.

but hey, how to make a money by telling the truth?

But hey , Real Madrid , the richest and most iconic sport team in whole world has coaching stuff that told players to jump in leg press and lock knees and we are here being suprised that players having torn ACLs , torn achillies, broken legs like tootpicks ? Not really. Just bunch of idiots who get hired because of connections, politics, or sleeping with right people.

Alabama football uses many modern techniques and for the past decade has been known for being one of the most physical teams in college football. I suppose we should go back to junction boy days? no water breaks, because water is only for weak players? run players out in the middle of the summer until they have heat exhaustion?
jezzerinho
Sophomore
Posts: 190
And1: 108
Joined: Jul 08, 2019
     

Re: Around the NBA, 2019/20 Edition 

Post#8 » by jezzerinho » Sun Sep 29, 2019 2:05 pm

Great stuff and I fully agree.

Even if the s&c regime is well thought out, a lot of these kids - due to their age and maybe also poor historic diet - don't have the skeleto-muscular development yet to take on these workloads.

And because colleges only get at most a year or two of these kids, what's in it for them to look after the health and proper training of these young sportsmen?

They're being taken too young from college. Because they're behind skills and body wise, there being overloaded with training and not being asked to play. They don't get summer league or g league games - ironically for fear of injury! They have no fallback because the league has endorsed uprooting them from the further education system. Soon, we'll have a double draft and thenceforth they'll be leaving younger, rawer, more fragile, more dependent, less developed, less trained. Sounds ideal!
pepe1991
RealGM
Posts: 11,721
And1: 9,363
Joined: Jan 10, 2016
   

Re: Around the NBA, 2019/20 Edition 

Post#9 » by pepe1991 » Sun Sep 29, 2019 4:03 pm

tiderulz wrote:
pepe1991 wrote:
drsd wrote:Half of the first round:
This is a fascinating video and it really gets to a point at the 2:10 point.




Man i could write 40000 pages on this topic ( but who would want to read it? :lol: )

Anyway , this video is really,really good and makes lot of good points.

I will just highlight some:

- No, i would not draft 15 years old kid who is just hitting puberty and has enough money to live 50 lifes without needing a job. That's why most of HOF kids never become HOFs of their own, they don't have that drive as they are raised in wealth and never had to worked their a** off for anything.

- Zion not being "ready" for summerleague is best example why whole thing with training is silly and how this kids are mentally not ready for pros. He literally gained "dad bod" since last game at college, witch speeks volumen about his drive and determination.

- all pro athletes are overtrainined, and when kids get into that type of working system, they break, that's why 15 out of 30 first rond picks last year failed to play <50 games.

- modern coaches can be separated in two categories imo
1) idiot who will film his overweight NFL player squat 735 pounds that he has no benefit from
2) guy that will put straps on his player , tie him with additional strap, put 2 kettlebells in his arms and tell him to jump while he is dragging him downhill and use some broscience to "mimc natural movment"

- modern training changed to "oldschool"one and for athletes , instad of doing traditional, natural stuff like push, pull type of workouts they are now focused on this specific movments that IMO put way too much stress on singular muscle group ( and joint, and bone) instad of making athletes- all around better athletes.
If you noticed, not a single modern nba player has developed chest. Do you know why? Because they abblendend bench press for whatever reason. And in video you see Harden ( freaking top tear player in whole world! ) doing HALF PUSHUPS . Imagine being league's MVP, being worth probably $400 000 000 and you don't have coach that will teach you how to do PROPER PUSHUP!
I remember video of Dwight laying on a bench, and instad of doing normal bench press, his coach got him pulling himself up using bar. So guy is in position of bench, press, uses bench press bar, but instad of pulling weight ,he pulls his body. Spoiler alert, guy that big and strong isn't being challenged by this exercises and long term it's impossible to make any progress doing exercise that way, therfore it's usless gimmick and waste of his time.

Every time i watch workout trainings on youtube from NBA players , it's cringefest. Bunch of cable push type of movments, almost always on one leg with unnatural movment? When will player use one arm, single leg push in his career ? It's not compound movment, about of muscles involved is at most 2,3 and it's impossible to overloud to make progress . So why not stick to traditional deadlift, pullups,pushups, bench, front and back squat ? And only answer i can give is " it doesn't sell well"?

Whole new modern fitness is one huge gimmick for fat,lazy, stupid people. you have this "smoothie" drinks to "detox" you being sold for like $25 . Do you know what's best detox in whole world? Your freaking liver. So don't drawn yourself in sodas ,sugar and alcohol and liver will detox you- each and every day.
Than you have this fat loss crappy pills and what will make you slim? BEING IN CALORIC DEFICIT . Nothing ellse.

but hey, how to make a money by telling the truth?

But hey , Real Madrid , the richest and most iconic sport team in whole world has coaching stuff that told players to jump in leg press and lock knees and we are here being suprised that players having torn ACLs , torn achillies, broken legs like tootpicks ? Not really. Just bunch of idiots who get hired because of connections, politics, or sleeping with right people.

Alabama football uses many modern techniques and for the past decade has been known for being one of the most physical teams in college football. I suppose we should go back to junction boy days? no water breaks, because water is only for weak players? run players out in the middle of the summer until they have heat exhaustion?


Did i say train athletes like they are animals?
No, i even mentioned how most pro athletes are overtrained and over time it leads to injuries

But lot of workouts they do could be done with more efficiency and picking exercises that would make them better athletes overall. But it seems like they never do that nowdays.
"A straight path never leads anywhere except to the objective."
Andre Gide
User avatar
tiderulz
RealGM
Posts: 29,630
And1: 10,612
Joined: Jun 16, 2010
Location: Atlanta
 

Re: Around the NBA, 2019/20 Edition 

Post#10 » by tiderulz » Sun Sep 29, 2019 4:42 pm

pepe1991 wrote:
tiderulz wrote:
pepe1991 wrote:
Man i could write 40000 pages on this topic ( but who would want to read it? :lol: )

Anyway , this video is really,really good and makes lot of good points.

I will just highlight some:

- No, i would not draft 15 years old kid who is just hitting puberty and has enough money to live 50 lifes without needing a job. That's why most of HOF kids never become HOFs of their own, they don't have that drive as they are raised in wealth and never had to worked their a** off for anything.

- Zion not being "ready" for summerleague is best example why whole thing with training is silly and how this kids are mentally not ready for pros. He literally gained "dad bod" since last game at college, witch speeks volumen about his drive and determination.

- all pro athletes are overtrainined, and when kids get into that type of working system, they break, that's why 15 out of 30 first rond picks last year failed to play <50 games.

- modern coaches can be separated in two categories imo
1) idiot who will film his overweight NFL player squat 735 pounds that he has no benefit from
2) guy that will put straps on his player , tie him with additional strap, put 2 kettlebells in his arms and tell him to jump while he is dragging him downhill and use some broscience to "mimc natural movment"

- modern training changed to "oldschool"one and for athletes , instad of doing traditional, natural stuff like push, pull type of workouts they are now focused on this specific movments that IMO put way too much stress on singular muscle group ( and joint, and bone) instad of making athletes- all around better athletes.
If you noticed, not a single modern nba player has developed chest. Do you know why? Because they abblendend bench press for whatever reason. And in video you see Harden ( freaking top tear player in whole world! ) doing HALF PUSHUPS . Imagine being league's MVP, being worth probably $400 000 000 and you don't have coach that will teach you how to do PROPER PUSHUP!
I remember video of Dwight laying on a bench, and instad of doing normal bench press, his coach got him pulling himself up using bar. So guy is in position of bench, press, uses bench press bar, but instad of pulling weight ,he pulls his body. Spoiler alert, guy that big and strong isn't being challenged by this exercises and long term it's impossible to make any progress doing exercise that way, therfore it's usless gimmick and waste of his time.

Every time i watch workout trainings on youtube from NBA players , it's cringefest. Bunch of cable push type of movments, almost always on one leg with unnatural movment? When will player use one arm, single leg push in his career ? It's not compound movment, about of muscles involved is at most 2,3 and it's impossible to overloud to make progress . So why not stick to traditional deadlift, pullups,pushups, bench, front and back squat ? And only answer i can give is " it doesn't sell well"?

Whole new modern fitness is one huge gimmick for fat,lazy, stupid people. you have this "smoothie" drinks to "detox" you being sold for like $25 . Do you know what's best detox in whole world? Your freaking liver. So don't drawn yourself in sodas ,sugar and alcohol and liver will detox you- each and every day.
Than you have this fat loss crappy pills and what will make you slim? BEING IN CALORIC DEFICIT . Nothing ellse.

but hey, how to make a money by telling the truth?

But hey , Real Madrid , the richest and most iconic sport team in whole world has coaching stuff that told players to jump in leg press and lock knees and we are here being suprised that players having torn ACLs , torn achillies, broken legs like tootpicks ? Not really. Just bunch of idiots who get hired because of connections, politics, or sleeping with right people.

Alabama football uses many modern techniques and for the past decade has been known for being one of the most physical teams in college football. I suppose we should go back to junction boy days? no water breaks, because water is only for weak players? run players out in the middle of the summer until they have heat exhaustion?


Did i say train athletes like they are animals?
No, i even mentioned how most pro athletes are overtrained and over time it leads to injuries

But lot of workouts they do could be done with more efficiency and picking exercises that would make them better athletes overall. But it seems like they never do that nowdays.

no offense, i think ill trust people that study and do this for a living. while i have replaced a garbage disposal or 2 and fixed a pipe, no one should take my word over a plumber.
User avatar
drsd
RealGM
Posts: 27,812
And1: 4,417
Joined: Mar 16, 2003
     

Re: Around the NBA, 2019/20 Edition 

Post#11 » by drsd » Sun Sep 29, 2019 8:22 pm

tiderulz wrote: ... no one should take my word over a plumber.



Image
User avatar
MagicStarwipe
RealGM
Posts: 15,750
And1: 10,893
Joined: May 19, 2007
 

Re: Around the NBA, 2019/20 Edition 

Post#12 » by MagicStarwipe » Mon Sep 30, 2019 6:43 am

Does anybody think Frank Vogel has any chance of controlling or bringing together the personalities in the Lakers locker room?
Image
pepe1991
RealGM
Posts: 11,721
And1: 9,363
Joined: Jan 10, 2016
   

Re: Around the NBA, 2019/20 Edition 

Post#13 » by pepe1991 » Mon Sep 30, 2019 3:33 pm

Paul George out from whole preseason.
Man... this year injuries starterd earlier than ever.
"A straight path never leads anywhere except to the objective."
Andre Gide
User avatar
PrimeThyme
General Manager
Posts: 8,110
And1: 10,382
Joined: May 25, 2016
Location: Doak Campbell
 

Re: Around the NBA, 2019/20 Edition 

Post#14 » by PrimeThyme » Mon Sep 30, 2019 3:43 pm

pepe1991 wrote:Paul George out from whole preseason.
Man... this year injuries starterd earlier than ever.

I think he will be out for most of November as well. Pretty sure he had surgery on his shoulder after the season though and the Clippers knew about it before they traded for him as it bothered him for most of the year.
Image
User avatar
rcklsscognition
RealGM
Posts: 21,554
And1: 6,765
Joined: Mar 23, 2009
Contact:
 

Re: Around the NBA, 2019/20 Edition 

Post#15 » by rcklsscognition » Wed Oct 2, 2019 4:50 pm

:o

Image
Image
User avatar
drsd
RealGM
Posts: 27,812
And1: 4,417
Joined: Mar 16, 2003
     

Re: Around the NBA, 2019/20 Edition 

Post#16 » by drsd » Wed Oct 2, 2019 5:17 pm

rcklsscognition wrote::o

Image




Image
pepe1991
RealGM
Posts: 11,721
And1: 9,363
Joined: Jan 10, 2016
   

Re: Around the NBA, 2019/20 Edition 

Post#17 » by pepe1991 » Wed Oct 2, 2019 7:38 pm

I was just going to post it, i saw it on ex yugoslavia nba related profile that pic and roasts he got for his shape are epic - most comming from his countrymen :lol:

He might he only player who gained real, not "adobe photoshop" weight this summer :rofl:
"A straight path never leads anywhere except to the objective."
Andre Gide
Tarheel
Bench Warmer
Posts: 1,412
And1: 517
Joined: Jul 18, 2004
Location: UK
   

Re: Around the NBA, 2019/20 Edition 

Post#18 » by Tarheel » Thu Oct 3, 2019 8:13 am

Nikola Jothicc
pepe1991
RealGM
Posts: 11,721
And1: 9,363
Joined: Jan 10, 2016
   

Re: Around the NBA, 2019/20 Edition 

Post#19 » by pepe1991 » Thu Oct 3, 2019 8:44 am

Some of best burns on Jokić:
over the summer worked hard on double chin , but no ups
Eat all Nuggets and drunk whole Pepsi center
Works hard to be out of shape
"My mom told me i got stronger , not fat"
"A straight path never leads anywhere except to the objective."
Andre Gide
User avatar
PrimeThyme
General Manager
Posts: 8,110
And1: 10,382
Joined: May 25, 2016
Location: Doak Campbell
 

Re: Around the NBA, 2019/20 Edition 

Post#20 » by PrimeThyme » Fri Oct 4, 2019 10:20 pm

Read on Twitter

:lol:
Image

Return to Orlando Magic