ImageImageImageImage

Preseason Game 3: Orlando Magic (2-0) at Atlanta Hawks (0-1)

Moderators: Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL, UCF

pepe1991
RealGM
And1: 16,224

Re: Preseason Game 3: Orlando Magic (2-0) at Atlanta Hawks (0-1) 

Post#201 » by pepe1991 » Thu Oct 10, 2019 3:57 am

EAS Law wrote:
SOUL wrote:
pepe1991 wrote:Call me when Isaac puts up 20ppg season :roll:

Are you still not impressed with Isaac? It takes a lot of reasoning not to like him right now, especially with improved passing and even if he only gets *slightly* better on offense this year with the defense he's shown.

Someone has to be the “problem” with our team and I guess it’s JI’s turn despite the rest of the league begging us to talk about trade scenarios around him.

This is just the RGM Magic board as usual.

oh God... Is Lebron and unprotected pick offered yet or just Giannis and future 500 first round picks? :lol: :lol:
Did i say problem? No, so it's you making s*** up. Do i have to like every player? No, so why should you care what i think or feel? Who are you ? My Gf?
Life is what happens when you're busy making other plans. -John Lennon
MagicStarwipe
RealGM
And1: 12,041

Post#202 » by MagicStarwipe » Thu Oct 10, 2019 4:04 am

Everybody knows pepe hates Isaac by now. I don't see the point in talking to him about it. Just let it be.
RealGM Classics - Oladipo's "rude" celebration comes back to bite him: viewtopic.php?f=25&t=1358414
j-ragg
RealGM
And1: 11,652

Post#203 » by j-ragg » Thu Oct 10, 2019 4:04 am

Impressed with Isaac’s passing so far this preseason. I wish Fultz would just jack those threes up. MCW has the freaking green light for crying out loud. Shoot that **** now while the stats don’t really matter.
BadMofoPimp wrote:Durant thinks Vooch is one of the Best Centers in the NBA. I will take his word over a couch-GM yelling at a TV.
Knightro
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 24,153

Post#204 » by Knightro » Thu Oct 10, 2019 4:41 am

Read on Twitter
MagicMatic
RealGM
And1: 12,830

Post#205 » by MagicMatic » Thu Oct 10, 2019 5:01 am

iTs JusT zo
Bench Warmer
And1: 248

Post#206 » by iTs JusT zo » Thu Oct 10, 2019 5:10 am

Isaac on pace to becoming multiple time nba defensive player of the year in the very near future. Offense is icing on the gigantic yummy cake.

Isaac >>>>>>> Collins.

Youd have to literally only be looking at stats to say otherwise.

Guessing that's what yall are doing. Looking at the numbers huh? Yawn.. Next subject. This is just silly.

Lemme guess.. You guys would rather have westbrook over draymond green? Lmao haha yall crack me up!!
Yet even amid the suffering that results from sin...god's love is revealed.
pepe1991
RealGM

Post#207 » by pepe1991 » Thu Oct 10, 2019 5:34 am

iTs JusT zo wrote:Isaac on pace to becoming multiple time nba defensive player of the year in the very near future. Offense is icing on the gigantic yummy cake.

Isaac >>>>>>> Collins.

Guessing that's what yall are doing. Looking at the numbers huh? Yawn.. Next subject. This is just silly.

Lemme guess.. You guys would rather have westbrook over draymond green? Lmao haha yall crack me up!!

You are new to basketball or don't know much about history of NBA.
Since 1982 and DPOY award has been around, only Mark Eaton, 35 years ago won award without being "star player".
It's as much of a counting stats award as any other. Also politics, popularity, voters being flat out morons and bias towrad and against some players played huge role voting.

With new age nothing really changed, KG, Howard, Gasol, Gobert , Noah, Leonard and Green all won in in years when they were dominated : rebounds, steals and blocks. And in years when their offensive numbers were not pathetic. That's why Tony Allen never won award.

Just a fact that Tony Allen , Bruce Bowen, Joe Dumars, Andre Igoudala, Scottie Pippen, Tim Duncan , Andre Kiriljenko never won it shows how flawed voting for that award was.
Let's repeat that again: Tim Duncan and Scottie Pippen , probably 2 of top 8 graetest defenders in nba history- never won that award, with Pippen being one of most versitale defenders ever. Probably the best defender ever. , and Duncan being player that should be on every top 10 ever list. Both overall and for defense only.

SO to qoute you "looking at numbers huh? yawn" is execlly what is being done for DPOY votes.

Agree of last part tho, being cought up in performance of preseason is as laughable as it gets.
basketballRob
RealGM
And1: 10,688

Post#208 » by basketballRob » Thu Oct 10, 2019 7:17 am

iTs JusT zo wrote:Isaac on pace to becoming multiple time nba defensive player of the year in the very near future. Offense is icing on the gigantic yummy cake.

Isaac >>>>>>> Collins.

Isaac didn't get a stat when Collins jumped in the air, decided not to shoot it, and traveled, because if JI.

Sent from my SM-G965U using RealGM mobile app
SOUL
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 37,395

Post#209 » by SOUL » Thu Oct 10, 2019 7:29 am

Also not sure where the "6th pick = superstar" thing came from, look at the 6th picks from 1980 onwards... you prefer to get an all-star if anything, but there's not some huge list of superstars other than Larry Bird and maybe Damian Lillard that you can even justify making that comment for.

I've seen a lot of people talking about Isaac turning into potentially one of the best in the class in his short career, and even a lot from Boston fans who might have the leader in that area at the moment (Tatum), so I'm really not sure what we should be disappointed about concerning him if he's actively being talked about as one of the better players in his class. I won't say best obviously because Fox, Tatum, Lauri, etc have been good too, but if Isaac can contribute even a little more on offense this year, he is insanely valuable.
MagicFrenchie
Senior
And1: 794

Post#210 » by MagicFrenchie » Thu Oct 10, 2019 7:41 am

Knightro wrote:
Read on Twitter

The best thing as an Orlando Magic fan is seeing that type of commets all around the league , from fanbases to players, we're starting to get real :D
drsd
RealGM
And1: 7,893

Post#211 » by drsd » Thu Oct 10, 2019 8:15 am

Knightro wrote:Magic Plus/Minus through 3 preseason games (minimum 30 minutes played)

Isaac +34 in 75 minutes
Carter-Williams +32 in 58
Aminu +31 in 64
Augustin +29 in 61
Vucevic +26 in 59
Fultz +26 in 59
Gordon + 26 in 52
Ross +24 in 49
Bamba +20 in 50
Fournier +14 in 36
Frazier +2 in 38

This made me look at playing levels; game averages over the 3 games:
Isaac 24.8 mpg
Aminu 21.4 mpg
Augustin 20.2 mpg
Vučević 19.8 mpg
Fultz 19.8 mpg
Carter-Williams 19.4 mpg (inflated by game 3-Fournier; inflated by Iwundu's absence as well)
Fournier 18.0 mpg
Gordon 17.4 mpg
Bamba 17.2 mpg
Ross 16.5 mpg

Then statistical noise.

At one level it looks like Coach Clifford has already settled on a 10-man rotation:

Augustin/Fultz
Fournier/Ross/(Carter-Williams or Iwundu)
Isaac
Gordon/Aminu
Vučević/Bamba

A couple thoughts on that.
1) It looks like Carter-Williams and Iwundu are competing for a final big-minutes role.
2) Birch does not look to be a rotational player early going this season.
3) Frazier and Jefferson look more likely to make the team than Magette and Jeffries.

iTs JusT zo
Bench Warmer

Post#212 » by iTs JusT zo » Thu Oct 10, 2019 8:45 am

pepe1991 wrote:

Isaac >>>>>>> Collins.

Since 1982 and DPOY award has been around, only Mark Eaton, 35 years ago won award without being "star player".
It's as much of a counting stats award as any other. Also politics, popularity, voters being flat out morons and bias towrad and against some players played huge role voting.

With new age nothing really changed, KG, Howard, Gasol, Gobert , Noah, Leonard and Green all won in in years when they were dominated : rebounds, steals and blocks. And in years when their offensive numbers were not pathetic. That's why Tony Allen never won award.

Just a fact that Tony Allen , Bruce Bowen, Joe Dumars, Andre Igoudala, Scottie Pippen, Tim Duncan , Andre Kiriljenko never won it shows how flawed voting for that award was.
Let's repeat that again: Tim Duncan and Scottie Pippen , probably 2 of top 8 graetest defenders in nba history- never won that award, with Pippen being one of most versitale defenders ever. Probably the best defender ever. , and Duncan being player that should be on every top 10 ever list. Both overall and for defense only.

SO to qoute you "looking at numbers huh? yawn" is execlly what is being done for DPOY votes.

Agree of last part tho, being cought up in performance of preseason is as laughable as it gets.

Stopped reading after news to nba. Please try and avoid personal insults when a fellow poster gives a presumptuous opinion. - Knightro
iTs JusT zo
Bench Warmer

Post#213 » by iTs JusT zo » Thu Oct 10, 2019 8:46 am

iTs JusT zo wrote:
pepe1991 wrote:

Isaac >>>>>>> Collins.

Stopped reading after new to nba.
Message Boar
Veteran
And1: 1,659

Post#214 » by Message Boar » Thu Oct 10, 2019 11:14 am

Didn't even know there was another game already, honestly. Always good to pick up a win, even though it's all rather meaningless. Better to look good than to look bad, still.

I also like this schedule where we get all of our away games out of the way first and then end preseason on a home-stand. It'll give the players plenty of time to prepare and rest in Orlando and hopefully come out of the gates sharp in the regular season.
Knightro
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 24,153

Post#215 » by Knightro » Thu Oct 10, 2019 11:26 am

drsd wrote:This made me look at playing levels; game averages over the 3 games:
Isaac 24.8 mpg
Aminu 21.4 mpg
Augustin 20.2 mpg
Vučević 19.8 mpg
Fultz 19.8 mpg
Carter-Williams 19.4 mpg (inflated by game 3-Fournier; inflated by Iwundu's absence as well)
Fournier 18.0 mpg
Gordon 17.4 mpg
Bamba 17.2 mpg
Ross 16.5 mpg

Then statistical noise.

At one level it looks like Coach Clifford has already settled on a 10-man rotation:

Augustin/Fultz
Fournier/Ross/(Carter-Williams or Iwundu)
Isaac
Gordon/Aminu
Vučević/Bamba

A couple thoughts on that.
1) It looks like Carter-Williams and Iwundu are competing for a final big-minutes role.
2) Birch does not look to be a rotational player early going this season.
3) Frazier and Jefferson look more likely to make the team than Magette and Jeffries.

For what it’s worth, Clifford said before last night’s game that he’s still planning to play just 9 guys once the regular season starts despite playing 10 in the preseason.

He even admitted that it was unfair because some really solid players (I assume he means MCW, Iwundu and Birch) weren’t going to see regular minutes.

Frazier has a fully guaranteed contract, his spot is 100% safe IMO.

The only real question left is has one of these non-guaranteed guys - Jeffries, Johnson, Law, Humphries - shown enough to warrant one of the open roster spots.

Based on the preseason I’d say no, but they’re all also only playing with fellow third and fourth stringers in pure garbage time, so it’s impossible to get a good gauge.
PrimeThyme
RealGM
And1: 14,333

Post#216 » by PrimeThyme » Thu Oct 10, 2019 11:44 am

Pepe is going to die on the Isaac isn’t any good hill. Just like he is still dying on the “AG will forever be a limited offensive player” hill that dates back all the way to 2016. I mean he said the other day that Isaac will be a borderline rotational player in this league and isn’t a starter.

Despite all we have seen from him, at 22 in basically his sophomore year he is already convinced of that. It’s a lost cause
pepe1991
RealGM

Post#217 » by pepe1991 » Thu Oct 10, 2019 11:56 am

PrimeThyme wrote:Pepe is going to die on the Isaac isn’t any good hill. Just like he is still dying on the “AG will forever be a limited offensive player” hill that dates back all the way to 2016. I mean he said the other day that Isaac will be a borderline rotational player in this league and isn’t a starter.

Despite all we have seen from him, at 22 in basically his sophomore year he is already convinced of that. It’s a lost cause

Wait, Gordon isn't limited offensive player ?

OBPM negative, well below average TS% for position, still below average 3 point shot, among PFs 23rd in ORPM , right there with Marvin Wiliams and Kaminsky .

Guy puts up points because he shoots 13 times a game, also, by eFG, below league average.

So in Gordon's case, half of decade and counting, i was right. ON Payton - i was right, on Trae inability to shoot with any efficiency ( so far ) - i was right. On Lonzo inabilty to shoot from college- i was right. I also wanted no part of Cam Reddish so let's see how that plays out.
On flip side i was first on Dončić hype train in times this place used Hezonja and JJ Redick comparisons :roll:

Recently i jumped on Lavine bandwagon, i belive that guy will be breakout star this year . Does too many things well not to, has terrible BBIQ but that could be fixed with Satoransky, Porter and Lauri next to him, making decision making bit easier.
MagicFrenchie
Senior
And1: 794

Post#218 » by MagicFrenchie » Thu Oct 10, 2019 12:02 pm

you're looking way too much into stats pepe imo.
pepe1991
RealGM

Post#219 » by pepe1991 » Thu Oct 10, 2019 12:11 pm

MagicFrenchie wrote:you're looking way too much into stats pepe imo.

There were times when nba fans belived Francis , Marbury, Monta Ellise were good players.
There were times when fans actually belived Carmelo Anthony is better baseketball player than 99% of the world, and some even that far that they thought he is better than Lebron.

Stats give you perspective.

Just think about Jah Okafor. Huge hype around him at college, going into first year , dropping 17 ppg and everybody blames bad team. Than you dig into his stats and discover how trully terrible he is and it shows you whole different perspective on a player.
His advanced stats in rookie year suggested that team was 18 points worst with him playing. 6ers media tried , in 2016 put positive spin on it and there were lot of articleas reaching for excuses, but when second season started it was clear, he is simply bad basketball player. Now, 5 years later, he is still -bad basketball player.

Same was with MCW, it was clear from gates that he rides on usage rate and does not make team better. You watched last night and it was so noticable that he does not belog among starters. Why player that is career 25% three point shooter shoots 3 in his what? 7th nba year ? It's mindblowing . It's like me trying to jump over a buildings, i broke my legs in fist 300 attemps, but heey ,here we go again !
Blue_and_Whte
RealGM
And1: 9,234

Post#220 » by Blue_and_Whte » Thu Oct 10, 2019 1:40 pm

Pepe..love ya bud..but omg just drop it.
Faith, Family, Basketball
#2A
#Adopt

Return to Orlando Magic