ImageImageImageImage

Preseason Game 4: Boston Celtics (1-0) at Orlando Magic (3-0)

Moderators: UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL

yoyojw17
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,092

Re: Preseason Game 4: Boston Celtics (1-0) at Orlando Magic (3-0) 

Post#281 » by yoyojw17 » Sat Oct 12, 2019 1:11 am

The entire team looks tired. It's only one game. It sucks in the moment but lets not let the one super crappy loss totally outweigh the good that has previously happened in the first 3 games. Let's see how they rebound from this. To me the reaction to such a loss is part of character building process.

at least it's just preseason. lol
PrimeThyme
RealGM
And1: 14,380

Post#282 » by PrimeThyme » Sat Oct 12, 2019 1:12 am

This team is a Ross injury away from winning 35 games or less next year
RookieStar
RealGM
And1: 5,828

Post#283 » by RookieStar » Sat Oct 12, 2019 1:13 am

As embarassing as it is.... guys were tired especially after that long road trip. Shots werent falling.

No need to over react by turning on Fultz and AG, making trade scenarios for Bamba and etc
Howard Mass
Site Admin
Site Admin
And1: 15,654

Post#284 » by Howard Mass » Sat Oct 12, 2019 1:14 am

That was forgettable.
R.I.P. Dharam Raghubir (A.K.A. Magnumt)

:beer:
doct3r dr3
RealGM
And1: 2,508

Post#285 » by doct3r dr3 » Sat Oct 12, 2019 1:15 am

magicman112 wrote:
SOUL wrote:I agree with the ezzzp in the fact that we didn't take NAW, so there's no use to keep discussing him in game threads. In a separate thread, sure, ****, maybe even have a NAW watch thread, but it's not fun to just read the same arguments over and over again, we have the team we have. It's like Portland discussing every year if they didn't have Sam Bowie instead of MJ (on a much smaller scale, lol), it's just pointless at some point.

This happens every season with whoever people on the board think we should have taken in the previous draft or players that were traded or signed elsewhere. Anytime they do anything it's splashed all over the board.

Anyone remember the McLemore over Oladipo dead-enders?

:rofl:
BadMofoPimp wrote:Reached for a 2nd round talent in Nicholson.
Xatticus
Head Coach
And1: 7,960

Post#286 » by Xatticus » Sat Oct 12, 2019 1:23 am

ezzzp wrote:
Xatticus wrote:
Bensational wrote:
Who are the 3rd stringers and non NBA players he's up against tonight?

Or are you now trying to shift the attention to his position being in question? He's already a better PG than DJ, and with the players we have on our team he would be a perfect fit at hitting cutters, lobs and open shooters.

He wasn't even playing against non-NBA players in the last game. The only two players that would qualify were Mokoka and Simon, but they played a combined 10 minutes. Everyone else was either in Chicago's rotation last year or projects to be this year. This is all irrelevant though. NAW has been really impressive in the preseason regardless of who he has been going up against. New Orleans is loaded with guards though (Holiday, Jackson, Ball, Redick, Hart), so I'm kind of wondering how much floor time he will see when the season starts.

If can't beat out Frank Jackson or Hart...then maybe he's not so impressive.

FYI he played vs Christian Felicio LOL who was 3d stringer on 22 win team...Valentine who was playing 2nd game since April 2018 because of serious injury...2nd round pick Daniel Gifford, undrafted Mokoka and Simon. Only two "rotation caliber" players were Khris Dunn who on Magic would probably not make the PG rotation...and Thad Young who played first 4m of 4Q and left floor with 13 pt lead.

You're talking to me like I didn't watch the game. It was on ESPN.

They were down 20 when NAW finally came on. Young played 12 minutes from that point on. The only Bulls player that logged more time was Coby White. Felicio started the game.

I don't know why you keep trying to argue this when you obviously didn't watch the game.
"Xatticus has always been, in my humble opinion best poster here. Should write articles or something."
-pepe1991
basketballRob
RealGM
And1: 10,719

Post#287 » by basketballRob » Sat Oct 12, 2019 1:26 am

Wow Frazier 10 pts in 7 minutes.

Sent from my SM-G965U using RealGM mobile app
ezzzp
Head Coach
And1: 3,462

Post#288 » by ezzzp » Sat Oct 12, 2019 1:29 am

Xatticus wrote:
ezzzp wrote:
Xatticus wrote:
Frank Jackson is an undersized shooter. He isn't a facilitator.

:lol: so they keep him on the floor for his .314 (53-169) from behind arc prowess

He had an 8.0 AST%. Do you even watch basketball?

I watch tons of NBA...and I watched him plenty last season and he was on-ball PG. If he's on the floor for his shooting like you said then wth is a .314 3P% shooter (undersized to boot) playing 1200 minutes...its clear you are the one that doesn't watch.
ezzzp
Head Coach

Post#289 » by ezzzp » Sat Oct 12, 2019 1:32 am

Xatticus wrote:
ezzzp wrote:
Xatticus wrote:
He wasn't even playing against non-NBA players in the last game. The only two players that would qualify were Mokoka and Simon, but they played a combined 10 minutes. Everyone else was either in Chicago's rotation last year or projects to be this year. This is all irrelevant though. NAW has been really impressive in the preseason regardless of who he has been going up against. New Orleans is loaded with guards though (Holiday, Jackson, Ball, Redick, Hart), so I'm kind of wondering how much floor time he will see when the season starts.

If can't beat out Frank Jackson or Hart...then maybe he's not so impressive.

FYI he played vs Christian Felicio LOL who was 3d stringer on 22 win team...Valentine who was playing 2nd game since April 2018 because of serious injury...2nd round pick Daniel Gifford, undrafted Mokoka and Simon. Only two "rotation caliber" players were Khris Dunn who on Magic would probably not make the PG rotation...and Thad Young who played first 4m of 4Q and left floor with 13 pt lead.

You're talking to me like I didn't watch the game. It was on ESPN.

They were down 20 when NAW finally came on. Young played 12 minutes from that point on. The only Bulls player that logged more time was Coby White. Felicio started the game.

I don't know why you keep trying to argue this when you obviously didn't watch the game.

I did watch the game, stop talking about things you don't know anything about. The Bulls were mostly playing their scrubs and guys who'll be in G-L or working at UPS soon.
pepe1991
RealGM
And1: 16,293

Post#290 » by pepe1991 » Sat Oct 12, 2019 1:37 am

people tune in Pele- Jazz ,this is more of playoff than preseason game
Life is what happens when you're busy making other plans. -John Lennon
Xatticus
Head Coach
And1: 7,960

Post#291 » by Xatticus » Sat Oct 12, 2019 1:44 am

pepe1991 wrote:people tune in Pele- Jazz ,this is more of playoff than preseason game

I'm watching it. The Jazz look good.
"Xatticus has always been, in my humble opinion best poster here. Should write articles or something."
-pepe1991
PrimeThyme
RealGM

Post#292 » by PrimeThyme » Sat Oct 12, 2019 1:56 am

I'm not looking to overreact over one preseason game. Preseason for me is more so about evaluating individual players and noticing positive/negative trends that could carry over into next season. Seeing noticeable improvement from Evan this preseason was a big thing I was looking for going into this.

Through 4 games, I have seen none. In fact, Evan has actually looked worse then he did last year with his inability to beat anybody off the dribble. He's always been a below-average defender and average at best secondary playmaker so it makes it almost impossible to justify having him out there as a starter when he consistently cannot make shots. He was held out last game on top of it so you cant even use the tired legs excuse for him either. This has been an issue for over a year now.

The same thing goes for DJ. If he isnt hitting 3's close to that insane clip he was hitting them at last season he cannot be your starting point guard. So far, he hasn't shot the ball like he did last season, and he has been absolutely eviscerated on defense. If his 3pt shot even takes a dip back to his career averages this season we are in trouble. Fultz is a project and hopefully the future, but he isnt ready yet.

Bamba hasn't shown me enough. He had the one impressive half of play specifically defensively during our first game but outside of that, I feel its been much of the same stuff from him. He just really struggles defensively and there isnt anything outside of a 3pt shot that he does better or even as good as Birch. He gets counting stats like blocks/rebounds, but he isnt really a good rim protector or rebounder at this stage when you watch him on the court.

These are things I was specifically looking for coming into the season. You could write it off as preseason, but for me, I worry they are trends that will more than likely carry into next season.
ezzzp
Head Coach

Post#293 » by ezzzp » Sat Oct 12, 2019 1:58 am

pepe1991 wrote:people tune in Pele- Jazz ,this is more of playoff than preseason game

good game...NAW's defense vs legit NBA guys looks good
pepe1991
RealGM

Post#294 » by pepe1991 » Sat Oct 12, 2019 2:06 am

I like how Ingles goes in a games like this with passing mentality

NAW plays really well and Zion is easly most entertaining player to watch. Such an odd,athletic, chubby goofball :lol:

Giannis is about to become father, in his first "waiting for baby" game he has 34 points , 11 rebounds ,4 assists in 21 min :o
ezzzp
Head Coach

Post#295 » by ezzzp » Sat Oct 12, 2019 2:09 am

pepe1991 wrote:I like how Ingles goes in a games like this with passing mentality

NAW plays really well and Zion is easly most entertaining player to watch. Such an odd,athletic, chubby goofball :lol:

the way Zion bounces off contact looks bizarre but somehow in control
tiderulz
RealGM
And1: 14,107

Post#296 » by tiderulz » Sat Oct 12, 2019 2:10 am

Xatticus wrote:

and losing to the Pelicans. And NAW 20 pts in 15 mins
pepe1991
RealGM

Post#297 » by pepe1991 » Sat Oct 12, 2019 2:11 am

ezzzp wrote:
pepe1991 wrote:I like how Ingles goes in a games like this with passing mentality

the way Zion bounces off contact looks bizarre but somehow in control

And that X type legs where he looks like most unathletic fat guy when he stands , you would think he can't jump over paper. Nothing about him makes any sense, that's why he is such a joy to watch. Destroys any logic .
PrimeThyme
RealGM

Post#298 » by PrimeThyme » Sat Oct 12, 2019 2:20 am

Thanks, tuned In just in time to see NAW beat countless guys off the dribble for layups/draw fouls, Hit his 4th 3 of the night, and then break a guy down off the dribble and hit a contested mid-ranger. A perfect ending to my night. :noway:
ezzzp
Head Coach

Post#299 » by ezzzp » Sat Oct 12, 2019 2:48 am

PrimeThyme wrote:I'm not looking to overreact over one preseason game. Preseason for me is more so about evaluating individual players and noticing positive/negative trends that could carry over into next season. Seeing noticeable improvement from Evan this preseason was a big thing I was looking for going into this.

Through 4 games, I have seen none. In fact, Evan has actually looked worse then he did last year with his inability to beat anybody off the dribble. He's always been a below-average defender and average at best secondary playmaker so it makes it almost impossible to justify having him out there as a starter when he consistently cannot make shots. He was held out last game on top of it so you cant even use the tired legs excuse for him either. This has been an issue for over a year now.

The same thing goes for DJ. If he isnt hitting 3's close to that insane clip he was hitting them at last season he cannot be your starting point guard. So far, he hasn't shot the ball like he did last season, and he has been absolutely eviscerated on defense. If his 3pt shot even takes a dip back to his career averages this season we are in trouble. Fultz is a project and hopefully the future, but he isnt ready yet.

Bamba hasn't shown me enough. He had the one impressive half of play specifically defensively during our first game but outside of that, I feel its been much of the same stuff from him. He just really struggles defensively and there isnt anything outside of a 3pt shot that he does better or even as good as Birch. He gets counting stats like blocks/rebounds, but he isnt really a good rim protector or rebounder at this stage when you watch him on the court.

These are things I was specifically looking for coming into the season. You could write it off as preseason, but for me, I worry they are trends that will more than likely carry into next season.

Its hard to gauge the offense of DJ/Fournier because the Magic haven't been running much of the offense through Vucevic the first 3 games. Both DJ and Fournier are heavily reliant on Vuc PnR type actions.

Clifford has been running a lot of AG on-ball, but I'm guessing that's just him gauging it. I doubt he's going to go away from his most consistent offense once the season starts.

Fournier is also looking like he's prioritizing getting into the lane over shooting 3's...I get a feeling that "getting into the lane" is a point of emphasis for the team as a whole. Clifford has said this is something the team lacked last season. I noticed other players doing the same - so they might be trying to attack paint more at any hint of defense closing on 3 and that's had mixed results so far - but doesn't mean it won't get better as season goes on.

This is why pre-season games are fairly meaningless...both teams are experimenting with system and rotations and testing players who are on way to G-L. Teams are also practicing hard to get in shape while playing in games in-between, so energy level is different.

I'm not expecting Bamba to take a leap...to me he's at least another 1-2 years away because that's when his body mass / bbIQ will be ready to really impact the defensive side of the game. Once he adds that to his unique length that's what will differentiate him from other similar type bigs. But we've known that all along, people keep trying to rush it despite the FO and coaches repeatedly saying he's a project and that people need to be patient. It was always going to be about years 3 and 4 even before the injury.
Def Swami
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 15,149

Post#300 » by Def Swami » Sat Oct 12, 2019 2:52 am

tiderulz wrote:
Xatticus wrote:

and losing to the Pelicans. And NAW 20 pts in 15 mins[/quote]

Return to Orlando Magic