ImageImageImageImage

Steve Clifford getting some love in the new GM Survey

Moderators: Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL, UCF

SHAQ32
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,947

Steve Clifford getting some love in the new GM Survey 

Post#1 » by SHAQ32 » Thu Oct 17, 2019 7:36 pm

Which head coach makes the best in-game adjustments?

1. Rick Carlisle, Dallas -- 28%
2. Brad Stevens, Boston -- 17%
3. Quin Snyder, Utah -- 14%
4. Steve Clifford, Orlando -- 10%

Who is the best head coach in the NBA?

1. Gregg Popovich, San Antonio -- 55%
2. Erik Spoelstra, Miami -- 17%
3. Mike Budenholzer, Milwaukee -- 10%
4. Steve Kerr, Golden State -- 7%

Also receiving votes: Steve Clifford, Orlando; Doc Rivers, LA Clippers; Quin Snyder, Utah

Last year: Brad Stevens -- 47%

https://www.nba.com/gmsurvey/2019
dsg2021
Analyst
And1: 1,033

Re: Steve Clifford getting some love in the new GM Survey 

Post#2 » by dsg2021 » Thu Oct 17, 2019 8:18 pm

A++ coach
Knightro
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 24,308

Post#3 » by Knightro » Thu Oct 17, 2019 8:26 pm

Clifford has his warts, but he has a system he absolutely believes in and he has been able to successfully implement that system at two different stops. Those two things are not something all coaches are capable of doing.

I'm not convinced he can take a good team and turn them into a great team, but he's proven he can definitely take a bad team and turn them into a good team.
pepe1991
RealGM
And1: 16,268

Post#4 » by pepe1991 » Thu Oct 17, 2019 8:42 pm

imo Clifford is best thing that happend to this team in last 7 years.
Life is what happens when you're busy making other plans. -John Lennon
SHAQ32
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,947

Post#5 » by SHAQ32 » Thu Oct 17, 2019 9:32 pm

pepe1991 wrote:imo Clifford is best thing that happend to this team in last 7 years.

Funny you say that, because I felt like I was in the minority of people that were happy when we signed him.
Max Power
Head Coach
And1: 1,204

Post#6 » by Max Power » Thu Oct 17, 2019 9:59 pm

I always thought Clifford was going to be a good hire. Did an excellent job in Charlotte considering the talent he had, which wasn’t a lot. Mostly cast offs and guys who played hard on D. Kemba worked himself into a star under him. Was a great assistant under Van Grundy. I always thought the Magic’s issues were the roster since even successful coaches like Skiles and Frank Vogel could reach this roster at one time.

I’d love to see what a guy like Clifford would do with a roster like LA’s or Golden States. I believe they’d be even better since Cliffords system is kind of an old tried and true way of playing.
You look confused...let me fill you in.
MagicFan101
RealGM
And1: 6,498

Post#7 » by MagicFan101 » Thu Oct 17, 2019 10:22 pm

As he damn well should.
j-ragg
RealGM
And1: 11,652

Post#8 » by j-ragg » Fri Oct 18, 2019 2:09 am

SHAQ32 wrote:
pepe1991 wrote:imo Clifford is best thing that happend to this team in last 7 years.

Funny you say that, because I felt like I was in the minority of people that were happy when we signed him.

I was pretty against it, but happy to say I was wrong. And you were definitely in the minority, I don’t think there were very many happy about it.
BadMofoPimp wrote:Durant thinks Vooch is one of the Best Centers in the NBA. I will take his word over a couch-GM yelling at a TV.
Tarheel
Sixth Man
And1: 767

Post#9 » by Tarheel » Fri Oct 18, 2019 8:52 am

j-ragg wrote:
SHAQ32 wrote:

I was pretty against it, but happy to say I was wrong. And you were definitely in the minority, I don’t think there were very many happy about it.

Same, I remember being disappointed when Woj broke the news that we'd signed him. I felt the same as most, another retread coach that would give the vets heavy minutes and bench the young guys.

I was very much wrong and think hiring Cliff is the best move Burns and Smithers have made to date.
pepe1991
RealGM
And1: 16,268

Post#10 » by pepe1991 » Fri Oct 18, 2019 9:00 am

Tarheel wrote:
j-ragg wrote:
SHAQ32 wrote:

Same, I remember being disappointed when Woj broke the news that we'd signed him. I felt the same as most, another retread coach that would give the vets heavy minutes and bench the young guys.

I was very much wrong and think hiring Cliff is the best move Burns and Smithers have made to date.

Yup, looked like extension of Skiles, grumpy middle aged man who yells a lot.
But he has other side to him and he simply understands basketball more than most coaches in NBA.
Life is what happens when you're busy making other plans. -John Lennon
basketballRob
RealGM
And1: 10,713

Post#11 » by basketballRob » Sat Oct 19, 2019 12:45 am

I feel like he's a good coach and probably deserves a team that will have success in the playoffs.

Hopefully Weham can help figure the roster out and they can make a run as a top team for a few years.

Sent from my SM-G950U using RealGM mobile app
The Real Dalic
RealGM
And1: 7,061

Post#12 » by The Real Dalic » Sat Oct 19, 2019 10:44 pm

Tarheel wrote:
j-ragg wrote:
SHAQ32 wrote:

I was in the minority that liked the move as well. He clearly had the right system and discipline as a coach for a team that lacked any kind of discipline. I do admit that I didn't think he'd be this good and make this team this good as fast as he did though.
God. Family. Country. Basketball.
J the Drafter
Starter
And1: 298

Post#13 » by J the Drafter » Sun Oct 20, 2019 3:53 am

Cliff is clearly capable, but I think the change in our strength and conditioning department is responsible for the team’s sudden jump in ability. If you look at most of our rebuild, it was hot starts detailed by injury that put players out of action for weeks. I don’t think it’s coincidence that that trend stopped when a new strength and conditioning team was brought in.
Remember when Kobe elbowed Jameer in the chin so hard Jameer was knocked down and sent skidding across the floor?
Pepperidge Farm remembers.*

*Futurama
Anti Chalmers
Analyst
And1: 2,858

Post#14 » by Anti Chalmers » Sun Oct 20, 2019 3:43 pm

I thought Clifford was a safe boring hire. But he proved me wrong.
BadMofoPimp
RealGM
And1: 11,599

Post#15 » by BadMofoPimp » Sun Oct 20, 2019 3:52 pm

Knightro wrote:Clifford has his warts, but he has a system he absolutely believes in and he has been able to successfully implement that system at two different stops. Those two things are not something all coaches are capable of doing.

I'm not convinced he can take a good team and turn them into a great team, but he's proven he can definitely take a bad team and turn them into a good team.

People used to say the same thing about Larry Brown

Provin Ya'll Wrong!!!

Return to Orlando Magic