ImageImageImageImage

Official 2020 NBA Draft Thread

Moderators: Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL, UCF

What kind of player do you think we need most?

Point Guard
13%
Scoring Guard
62%
Great Shooter
18%
3&D Wing
7%

Total votes: 61

Bensational
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 12,400

Re: Official 2020 NBA Draft Thread 

Post#1521 » by Bensational » Mon Sep 28, 2020 10:48 pm

yoyojw17 wrote:
KillMonger wrote:
PrimeThyme wrote:I just want to draft somebody that can already naturally shoot for once. I know that's a lot to ask for from this FO (and from this organization considering the players we've drafted/acquired the 7 years) but it would be nice to finally draft someone who has natural shooting/scoring ability and not someone who is rebuilding his shot or trying to improve his awful efficiency.

half of me agrees with you...the other half is telling me just get the guy with the highest ceiling....At 15 Hampton is a pick i wouldn't be unhappy with....For me i'm kinda locked in with Kira Lewis as the guy i'm hoping for at 15....My sleeper "Chuma Okeke-like" pick(as in a reach out of nowhere) is Jaden Mcdaniels....Jaden is MPJ-like except he can play some Defense....I really like him if he can play SF in the league

I'm with both of you! Lewis, Nesmith or Hampton with our pick and McDaniel with a later 1st pick would be a very good draft. Or any combination of them if we get another mid range pick.

Mcdaniels is like the Bizarro Isaac in my head.... offensively gift (though this season was a meh... but could be a blessing for us)... that we can really grow on the defensive end... and grow physically to take steps forward.

EDIT:

Started looking at some of his vids and the Smith said the same thing... "Jonathan Isaac like"

I've become a recent McDaniels convert. I think the way Schmitz was talking to him says a lot about how fans should expect to see young guys developed. Year 1, play off of others. Year 2, work on moving off the ball. Year 3 - 4, start to play on the ball more.

I know we're overloaded with bigs as it is, but his skills with that frame are worth the gamble. I can see McDaniels ending up somewhere between Jerami Grant to Siakam level good.

Lewis/Terry/Nesmith + McDaniels would make me very happy, and they could slot in around what we already have.
yoyojw17
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,091

Post#1522 » by yoyojw17 » Tue Sep 29, 2020 1:15 am

Bensational wrote:
yoyojw17 wrote:
KillMonger wrote:half of me agrees with you...the other half is telling me just get the guy with the highest ceiling....At 15 Hampton is a pick i wouldn't be unhappy with....For me i'm kinda locked in with Kira Lewis as the guy i'm hoping for at 15....My sleeper "Chuma Okeke-like" pick(as in a reach out of nowhere) is Jaden Mcdaniels....Jaden is MPJ-like except he can play some Defense....I really like him if he can play SF in the league

I'm with both of you! Lewis, Nesmith or Hampton with our pick and McDaniel with a later 1st pick would be a very good draft. Or any combination of them if we get another mid range pick.

Mcdaniels is like the Bizarro Isaac in my head.... offensively gift (though this season was a meh... but could be a blessing for us)... that we can really grow on the defensive end... and grow physically to take steps forward.

EDIT:

Started looking at some of his vids and the Smith said the same thing... "Jonathan Isaac like"

I've become a recent McDaniels convert. I think the way Schmitz was talking to him says a lot about how fans should expect to see young guys developed. Year 1, play off of others. Year 2, work on moving off the ball. Year 3 - 4, start to play on the ball more.

I know we're overloaded with bigs as it is, but his skills with that frame are worth the gamble. I can see McDaniels ending up somewhere between Jerami Grant to Siakam level good.

Lewis/Terry/Nesmith + McDaniels would make me very happy, and they could slot in around what we already have.

I just feel as if he stayed another year... got his body right.... he would move up into the lottery as a sophmore. so... i'll take his falling stock this year. Imagine a duo of him and isaac at the sf/pf position... and swolebamba in the middle.:-/
Bensational
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 12,400

Post#1523 » by Bensational » Tue Sep 29, 2020 1:25 am

yoyojw17 wrote:
Bensational wrote:
yoyojw17 wrote:I'm with both of you! Lewis, Nesmith or Hampton with our pick and McDaniel with a later 1st pick would be a very good draft. Or any combination of them if we get another mid range pick.

EDIT:

I just feel as if he stayed another year... got his body right.... he would move up into the lottery as a sophmore. so... i'll take his falling stock this year. Imagine a duo of him and isaac at the sf/pf position... and swolebamba in the middle.:-/

The yin-yang of Isaac-McDaniels would be fun, even just as a narrative.
MagicMatic
RealGM
And1: 12,921

Post#1524 » by MagicMatic » Tue Sep 29, 2020 1:35 am

Say we draft McDaniels. Is he splitting minutes with Isaac, Okeke, AG, Aminu, Ennis? What’s his ideal position, F?

He’s not a physical player and isn’t a great shooter. He can handle the ball well but he is turnover prone. Sounds like a role player.
yoyojw17
Lead Assistant

Post#1525 » by yoyojw17 » Tue Sep 29, 2020 2:31 am

MagicMatic wrote:Say we draft McDaniels. Is he splitting minutes with Isaac, Okeke, AG, Aminu, Ennis? What’s his ideal position, F?

He’s not a physical player and isn’t a great shooter. He can handle the ball well but he is turnover prone. Sounds like a role player.

Stockpiling talent. And like Isaac he will still be a tear away from a year away physically... and that's fine with me. Not worried about him on the offensive or defensive end as his body matures.

Isaac will be out next season.

People are making AG trade talks.

We'll see how aminu and ennis fit in next season.

And if we strike gold... it means other players can be moved for other pieces. I just feel as though we could get him at a discount based on what he could become.... while still looking at players we need... SG and back up pg.
MagicMatic
RealGM

Post#1526 » by MagicMatic » Tue Sep 29, 2020 2:41 am

yoyojw17 wrote:
MagicMatic wrote:Say we draft McDaniels. Is he splitting minutes with Isaac, Okeke, AG, Aminu, Ennis? What’s his ideal position, F?

Stockpiling talent. And like Isaac he will still be a tear away from a year away physically... and that's fine with me. Not worried about him on the offensive or defensive end as his body matures.

And if we strike gold... it means other players can be moved for other pieces. I just feel as though we could get him at a discount based on what he could become.... while still looking at players we need... SG and back up pg.

McDanials is exactly the kind of player I expect this FO to move on considering their “strategy”. This is what worries me most. Failing to address anything glaring while “stockpiling assets” because they are playing 4D chess.
yoyojw17
Lead Assistant

Post#1527 » by yoyojw17 » Tue Sep 29, 2020 2:46 am

MagicMatic wrote:
yoyojw17 wrote:

McDanials is exactly the kind of player I expect this FO to move on considering their “strategy”. This is what worries me most. Failing to address anything glaring while “stockpiling assets” because they are playing 4D chess.

Well... the previous discussions... mainly had Mcdaniels as being an additional target after picking up a need based target such as hampton/terry/lewis/nesmith/etc ;-)
pepe1991
RealGM
And1: 16,276

Post#1528 » by pepe1991 » Tue Sep 29, 2020 1:57 pm

Players have to have some value to be "assets". Magic stock pile bodies.
Having guys buried on bench due logjam, while some scrubs play 20 mpg because nobody is challenging their spor is collosal waste of assets. Happened to Magic during Hennigan era...
Life is what happens when you're busy making other plans. -John Lennon
The Effect
Magic Forum Mock Draft Co-Champ
And1: 2,053

Post#1529 » by The Effect » Tue Sep 29, 2020 2:24 pm

Isaac is hurt as usual and won't play for atleast a season
Ag is getting traded according to everyone
Okeke is a rookie coming off an injury
Aminu is the new biyombo, a highly paid bench warmer who adds no value to a team
Ennis is a journeyman, his presence should have no effect on who we draft

The roster currently is made up of role players, so don't worry about who is currently on the team. Scout the draft to find the guy with the best possiblity of becoming a star, not the guy who fills a need. We are in no position to be filling needs unless that need is "alpha superstar go-to scorer"
Skybox
RealGM
And1: 5,613

Post#1530 » by Skybox » Tue Sep 29, 2020 3:40 pm

The Effect wrote:

Aminu is the new biyombo, a highly paid bench warmer who adds no value to a team

The roster currently is made up of role players, so don't worry about who is currently on the team. Scout the draft to find the guy with the best possiblity of becoming a star, not the guy who fills a need. We are in no position to be filling needs unless that need is "alpha superstar go-to scorer"

If we could snag another mid-late 1st (preferably for Evan or maybe even MO - I'd want more for AG) and walk away with Terry/Lewis and McDaniel. I'd love it. I don't see why McDaniel couldn't see minutes at SG (I don't like labels). Lots of room for growth and versatility here. I expect Lewis/Terry could spend time with Fultz too. Follow up moves possible as well (AG, Vuc, Ross?) at the trade deadline when we see what we got or sooner...
Vuc/Bamba/Birch
Gordon/Aminu (Isaac)
Okeke/McDaniel
TRoss/Iwundu
Fultz/Terry or Lewis/MCW
MagicMatic
RealGM

Post#1531 » by MagicMatic » Tue Sep 29, 2020 3:51 pm

The Effect wrote:

Sorry let me rephrase...

McDanials isn’t better than any of those players in his way for minutes. He also isn’t an “alpha superstar” type potential. The draft is a complete guessing game in that range unless Orlando’s “amazing” scouts see something. Let’s just say their judgement hasn’t been great.

You trust this FO to make roster based decisions outside of draft selections??? That’s a good one. Seems to me like whoever they acquire is here for good regardless of fit, need, or merit.
Skybox
RealGM

Post#1532 » by Skybox » Tue Sep 29, 2020 4:39 pm

We need him for our Univ of Washington frat...DeJounte Murray next (Fultz, TRoss)
The Effect

Post#1533 » by The Effect » Tue Sep 29, 2020 5:40 pm

MagicMatic wrote:
The Effect wrote:

Sorry let me rephrase...

McDanials isn’t better than any of those players in his way for minutes. He also isn’t an “alpha superstar” type potential. The draft is a complete guessing game in that range unless Orlando’s “amazing” scouts see something. Let’s just say their judgement hasn’t been great.

You trust this FO to make roster based decisions outside of draft selections??? That’s a good one. Seems to me like whoever they acquire is here for good regardless of fit, need, or merit.

Yeah i mean i like mcdanials (mostly just watched him because his brother played for my alma matter SDSU and so i watched to see if he was any good), but yeah i dont know if hes a future star or anything, but i think he has higher potential than alot of players in that range. My whole point was that i wouldnt eliminate a guy just because of position and who we currently have. Like im not passing on a Center if i think one is a future star just because of VUc, or passing on a PG because of fultz. Im taking the player with the highest ceiling no matter what.

With that said, no, i have 0 faith in this FO to draft that guy. I expect them to do what they have done their whole careers and draft the athletic guy with long wingspan and then praying that they are drafting the next giannis and not the next Bruno 2yearsawayfrombeing2yearsaway.

I know most here will disagree, but if im the FO, im selling the farm to get anthony edwards, but if thats not a possibility, im going after Cole Anthony, RJ Hampton or J. Ramsey. Yes i know all the flaws with all of them, but i also know that those guys all have the attitude this team desperately needs and the ability to put the ball in the basket and im willing to take a chance on them become dominant scorers for us to pair with Fultz long term.

Unfortunately none of the 3 have long wingspans, so i know it wont happen, and i fully expect this pick to be someone like McDaniels (7+ft wingspan) or Josh Green (defensive 3&D wing with a 6'10 wingspan)
yoyojw17
Lead Assistant

Post#1534 » by yoyojw17 » Tue Sep 29, 2020 5:53 pm

The Effect wrote:
MagicMatic wrote:
The Effect wrote:

Sorry let me rephrase...

Yeah i mean i like mcdanials (mostly just watched him because his brother played for my alma matter SDSU and so i watched to see if he was any good), but yeah i dont know if hes a future star or anything, but i think he has higher potential than alot of players in that range. My whole point was that i wouldnt eliminate a guy just because of position and who we currently have. Like im not passing on a Center if i think one is a future star just because of VUc, or passing on a PG because of fultz. Im taking the player with the highest ceiling no matter what.

With that said, no, i have 0 faith in this FO to draft that guy. I expect them to do what they have done their whole careers and draft the athletic guy with long wingspan and then praying that they are drafting the next giannis and not the next Bruno 2yearsawayfrombeing2yearsaway.

I know most here will disagree, but if im the FO, im selling the farm to get anthony edwards, but if thats not a possibility, im going after Cole Anthony, RJ Hampton or J. Ramsey. Yes i know all the flaws with all of them, but i also know that those guys all have the attitude this team desperately needs and the ability to put the ball in the basket and im willing to take a chance on them become dominant scorers for us to pair with Fultz long term.

Unfortunately none of the 3 have long wingspans, so i know it wont happen, and i fully expect this pick to be someone like McDaniels (7+ft wingspan) or Josh Green (defensive 3&D wing with a 6'10 wingspan)

and nesmith... with 6'10"-6'11" with a killer shot. :-)

I get the concerns of course. and i hope they find someone that can put the ball in the basket at a high rate. I know people aren't about what they have done... but I still love the picks of Isaac, Bamba and Okeke... and I can see why they did what they did. Those players are rare and not a dime a dozen once they hit their potentials. But yup... i hope they are happy with their futures and will take the best player available that will possibly fill a need.

As i said... hoping that is with our pick. And getting a later first rounder and choosing a player like Mcdaniels can pay off dramatically in the future. A pairing of players that can defend and blanket the entire interior and still switch and pick up players on the perimeter would be suffocating. McDaniels would be an offensive version of isaac. I really think the lack f strength coming into college really shot him in the foot... and he couldn't be what he was in highschool. Affording him the opportunity to go from 6'-10/11" and 185lb to 220-230 could make a world of a difference in his development and confidence.

2 years from now...

Fultz/Nesmith/Mcdaniels/Isaac/Bamba

could be something special. But we don't know... we will have to see how it all pans out... IF it happens.
Blue_and_Whte
RealGM
And1: 9,238

Post#1535 » by Blue_and_Whte » Tue Sep 29, 2020 6:12 pm

As has been the case for the last couple of years.. We need ALPHA DOG SCORER(S).
Faith, Family, Basketball
#2A
#Adopt
Skybox
RealGM

Post#1536 » by Skybox » Tue Sep 29, 2020 7:35 pm

McDaniels looks like he can shoot and put the ball on the floor...why punish a guy for being tall? We have room on our roster for a guy who can shoot and put the ball on the floor.
Def Swami
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 15,145

Post#1537 » by Def Swami » Tue Sep 29, 2020 7:43 pm

Read on Twitter
The Effect

Post#1538 » by The Effect » Tue Sep 29, 2020 8:39 pm

yoyojw17 wrote:
The Effect wrote:
MagicMatic wrote:
Sorry let me rephrase...

and nesmith... with 6'10"-6'11" with a killer shot. :-)

I get the concerns of course. and i hope they find someone that can put the ball in the basket at a high rate. I know people aren't about what they have done... but I still love the picks of Isaac, Bamba and Okeke... and I can see why they did what they did. Those players are rare and not a dime a dozen once they hit their potentials. But yup... i hope they are happy with their futures and will take the best player available that will possibly fill a need.

As i said... hoping that is with our pick. And getting a later first rounder and choosing a player like Mcdaniels can pay off dramatically in the future. A pairing of players that can defend and blanket the entire interior and still switch and pick up players on the perimeter would be suffocating. McDaniels would be an offensive version of isaac. I really think the lack f strength coming into college really shot him in the foot... and he couldn't be what he was in highschool. Affording him the opportunity to go from 6'-10/11" and 185lb to 220-230 could make a world of a difference in his development and confidence.

2 years from now...

Fultz/Nesmith/Mcdaniels/Isaac/Bamba

could be something special. But we don't know... we will have to see how it all pans out... IF it happens.

I know im in the major minority here, but im not nearly as high on isaac as everyone else here
I never understood the bamba hype in college and still dont get why people think hes some kind of future star. In college he had no nba level skills and was lazy on the court (unless he had a chance at an Sportscenter play), in the nba he hasnt shown he has any nba level skills and is still lazy on the court (unless he has a chance at an Sportscenter "booyah" play). The only real asset he has is that size\wingspan, which sure you cant teach, but if you dont offer anything else, what good is that? Was screaming at my tv to take MJp, but guess WeHam werent willing to take a chance on greatness because of injury concerns.....But then.....

.... okeke??
I hated the pick at the time because i knew he would miss the season and we desperately needed help asap but Okeke would miss year 1 and would be a rookie in year 2, so i dont expect much from him til year 3...so not really helpful in the short term. Well we are one year down, so hopefully he pans out, gonna give him the benefit of the doubt because he atleast showed in college that he had nba caliber skills on offense, defense and he plays hard. Ill take my chances on that.

As for Nesmith, i really like him as a player, but i have a feeling all these draft sites and youtuber scouts are overlooking him because of injury\limited tape and limited athleticism, something i dont expect NBA GMs to do. I dont see any way he makes it out of the top 10, let alone out of the lotto. id be pretty happy with him, but i honestly dont expect him to be there
The Effect

Post#1539 » by The Effect » Tue Sep 29, 2020 8:42 pm

Blue_and_Whte wrote:As has been the case for the last couple of years.. We need ALPHA DOG SCORER(S).

This has really been the case for as long as i can remember. Even when we had dwight and a finals caliber team, i dont think we had a true alpha scorer. Dwight was great, but he wasnt a dominant scorer. Vince was good but on the wrong side of his prime, Rashard was a pretty good scorer and was probably the closest thing we had to one. hedo was clutch, but he wasnt a go-to guy

Really i dont think we've had one since Tmac, 15-16 years ago
cedric76
RealGM
And1: 3,186

Post#1540 » by cedric76 » Tue Sep 29, 2020 10:56 pm

The Effect wrote:
Blue_and_Whte wrote:As has been the case for the last couple of years.. We need ALPHA DOG SCORER(S).

This has really been the case for as long as i can remember. Even when we had dwight and a finals caliber team, i dont think we had a true alpha scorer. Dwight was great, but he wasnt a dominant scorer. Vince was good but on the wrong side of his prime, Rashard was a pretty good scorer and was probably the closest thing we had to one. hedo was clutch, but he wasnt a go-to guy

Really i dont think we've had one since Tmac, 15-16 years ago

And tmac took us as far as............ Same as we did this year lol
Draft Carter
Sign monk
Trade Cole for a forward
Let chuma+fultz go
Offer goga a 1+1 deal

unleash Jett next seaon

Go Magic

Return to Orlando Magic