ImageImageImageImage

Official 2020 NBA Draft Thread

Moderators: UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL

What kind of player do you think we need most?

Point Guard
13%
Scoring Guard
62%
Great Shooter
18%
3&D Wing
7%

Total votes: 61

The Effect
Magic Forum Mock Draft Co-Champ
And1: 2,053

Re: Official 2020 NBA Draft Thread 

Post#1561 » by The Effect » Wed Sep 30, 2020 8:53 pm

MagicMatic wrote:
The Effect wrote:https://nypost.com/2020/09/30/timberwolves-confused-over-lamelo-ball-nba-draft-decision/
However, the site’s sources claim that if no worthy offer presents itself, Minnesota is leaning toward taking LaMelo Ball with the first pick on Nov. 18. Ball is the draft’s most intriguing prospect, given his unusual basketball upbringing with father LaVar dubiously pulling the strings.

If this article is right, and the wolves take Ball #1, im praying to any religious Deity i can think of that we make a trade with the warriors for #2 to get edwards. I honestly dont care what it takes. The only player i would hope would be off limits is fultz, but everyone else is up for grabs!
AG+Vuc for wiggins and 2?
AG+Evan+15 for wiggins and 2?
Isaac+15 for 2?
etc

Whatever,I dont care, make it happen WeHam!

AG for #2, $17m trade exception, and Eric Paschall

No way would the warriors do that
first i doubt they would trade paschall right now
second, AG alone is not going to get you the 2nd pick, he isnt, i dont care what fansided seems to think, theres 0 chance. Warriors are one of the best run teams in the nba, they arent making a deal like that without getting something back and\or dumping wiggins contract
cedric76
RealGM
And1: 3,189

Post#1562 » by cedric76 » Wed Sep 30, 2020 9:03 pm

The Effect wrote:
cedric76 wrote:
The Effect wrote:https://nypost.com/2020/09/30/timberwolves-confused-over-lamelo-ball-nba-draft-decision/

If this article is right, and the wolves take Ball #1, im praying to any religious Deity i can think of that we make a trade with the warriors for #2 to get edwards. I honestly dont care what it takes. The only player i would hope would be off limits is fultz, but everyone else is up for grabs!
:D Isaac+15 for 2?
etc

Isaac + 15? No F way, r u mad?

Nope, i just dont overrate isaac and personally have 0 faith in him both staying healthy and developing a true offensive game

I wouldnt want to build a team around a guy who will have missed 183 of a possible 319 games before he next plays a game
Add in that he still needs to develop the ability to create for himself, prove that he can stay healthy, prove that all these leg\foot injuries arent going to effect his game, and then hope he still improves....oh and he will be FA before he plays again, and i can bet anything he will be asking for a max deal because "he will be healthy by then"

If someone other team wants to take the chances that he stays healthy and develops while gifting us the best scorer in the draft,.....ill take that every single time

Sorry, but Isaac is not some untouchable top 5 player that people make him out to be.

Oh dear, someone will eat crows soon :-)
Draft Carter
Sign monk
Trade Cole for a forward
Let chuma+fultz go
Offer Harris and goga a 1+1 deal

unleash Jett next seaon

Go Magic

Suggs, AB, Carter
Monk, Jett, Harris
Franz, Jett, Houstan
Paolo, Moe, (Cole trade)
Wcj, JI, goga
MagicMatic
RealGM
And1: 12,958

Post#1563 » by MagicMatic » Wed Sep 30, 2020 9:03 pm

The Effect wrote:
MagicMatic wrote:

Isaac+15 for 2?
etc

second, AG alone is not going to get you the 2nd pick, he isnt, i dont care what fansided seems to think, theres 0 chance. Warriors are one of the best run teams in the nba, they arent making a deal like that without getting something back and\or dumping wiggins contract

This draft? AG might. Paschall’s minutes go down with him in the lineup and we would be lacking another PF for next season. They likely intend to keep Wiggins and would instead use the trade exception + another player. If not Paschall, then Looney.
drsd
RealGM
And1: 7,924

Post#1564 » by drsd » Wed Sep 30, 2020 9:04 pm

The Effect wrote:No way would the warriors do that

I agree negotiations only start with Gordon and #15 for Wiggins and #2. More assets on both ends are needed to balance this out.

Orlando could add Aminu (to make the contracts match and provide valuable depth to the Warriors) and next year's #1, fully unprotected. Golden State could add Jordan Poole to ensure Orlando has reasonable SG depth.

That ends up as:
Gordon, Aminu, #15, and next years FRP
for
Wiggins, Poole, and #2

That does a lot for both teams.

The Effect

Post#1565 » by The Effect » Wed Sep 30, 2020 9:08 pm

cedric76 wrote:
The Effect wrote:
cedric76 wrote:

Isaac + 15? No F way, r u mad?

Nope, i just dont overrate isaac and personally have 0 faith in him both staying healthy and developing a true offensive game

I wouldnt want to build a team around a guy who will have missed 183 of a possible 319 games before he next plays a game
Add in that he still needs to develop the ability to create for himself, prove that he can stay healthy, prove that all these leg\foot injuries arent going to effect his game, and then hope he still improves....oh and he will be FA before he plays again, and i can bet anything he will be asking for a max deal because "he will be healthy by then"

If someone other team wants to take the chances that he stays healthy and develops while gifting us the best scorer in the draft,.....ill take that every single time

Sorry, but Isaac is not some untouchable top 5 player that people make him out to be.

Oh dear, someone will eat crows soon :-)

I doubt it, and even if im wrong, we wont know til 2022 at the earliest, wouldnt consider that soon :lol:
The Effect

Post#1566 » by The Effect » Wed Sep 30, 2020 9:13 pm

MagicMatic wrote:
The Effect wrote:
MagicMatic wrote:

This draft? AG might. Paschall’s minutes go down with him in the lineup and we would be lacking another PF for next season. They likely intend to keep Wiggins and would instead use the trade exception + another player. If not Paschall, then Looney.

I know people keep calling this a weak draft, but to me, anthony edwards is the type of prospect that would be a top 3-4 pick in any draft, so even in this draft i stand by my assumption that Gordon will not net you the #2 pick, let alone #2, a 17m tpe and Paschall

IF this trade was present by the warriors, weham would of jumped at in seconds, theres no way its a real offer

BUT, lets just say this is the framework for a deal, im betting anything they would be asking for bamba as "filler". that personally wouldnt matter to me, but i know many would scream its a ripoff. But even still i cant see the warriors doing it

Paschalls numbers would go down, but he still has more value than contract filler, especially considering he was a 2nd round pick, so they are paying him pennies, why would they give that up?
The Effect

Post#1567 » by The Effect » Wed Sep 30, 2020 9:20 pm

drsd wrote:
The Effect wrote:No way would the warriors do that

I agree negotiations only start with Gordon and #15 for Wiggins and #2. More assets on both ends are needed to balance this out.

Orlando could add Aminu (to make the contracts match and provide valuable depth to the Warriors) and next year's #1, fully unprotected. Golden State could add Jordan Poole to ensure Orlando has reasonable SG depth.

That ends up as:
Gordon, Aminu, #15, and next years FRP
for
Wiggins, Poole, and #2

That does a lot for both teams.

while i would celebrate any deal that would get aminu off the team and net us anthony edwards (potentially), I would hate to throw in next years #1 in that deal.
Without isaac, no AG, aminu coming off injury and basically being a rookie, 50/50 chance evan leaves....

A team of Vuc\rookie okeke\ennis\rookie edwards\fultz is very likely to be a team drafting in the top 5 next year. So i would be ok with a lotto protected 2021 1st, or a top 5 protected 2022, no way would i want to do a unprotected 2021 pick
Bensational
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 12,450

Post#1568 » by Bensational » Wed Sep 30, 2020 11:52 pm

Let's look at it from Golden State's perspective.

Curry, 32. Klay 30. Draymond, 30. Wiggins, 25. Looney, 24. Paschall, 24.

Those are the main names that will likely carry over if not traded. Their contending window is now, so they'll likely add some more veterans to that mix through trade and free agency.

Draft wise - they don't have a great need for many of the players 'ranked' near the top 2. Edwards doesn't seem a good fit play wise or attitude wise. Wiseman would be a #2 pick used on a role player, and they'd likely prefer a veteran in the middle when they do use one. Ball *could* be interesting, if he were serious about playing and learning to win from two of the greatest. But he doesn't project to help them in the short term.

Haliburton has the skills to probably slip straight in and find a role with the Warriors. They could groom him to be a future Iggy/Livingston kind of player for them. But is that the best use of a #2 pick?

They could trade down and get someone like Nesmith, Vassel, even Terry, all of which could likely step into their system day 1 and project to be nice future depth pieces of comparable impact to any of the players in the top 4. By trading down they can save money on the contract size ($8M vs $2M), net a comparable contribute-now player with a potentially lower ceiling, and recoup assets for the trade gap.

What do they want to do with Wiggins? Despite what others say, he's not the net negative he's painted to be, though he is certainly paid a premium for what he does and will do for the Warriors. They likely want to recoup some money on that deal and alleviate some of their tax burdens. Gordon for Wiggins improves a positional need for them, and potentially saves them $30M over the next two seasons.

So let's say we do a deal of Gordon + Birch #15 for Wiggins + #2. (We'd have to include Birch to make it work financially).

That move saves the Warriors $8M in salary difference between Wiggins and Gordon/Birch, plus roughly $6M in salary difference between #2 and #15. $14M saved all up, they get a better fitting piece in Gordon, they still add youth. It really feels like a no brainer for them.

Now the question becomes - why would we do it?

I'm not prepared to bank the team's future on Edwards, Ball, Wiseman, Hayes or Haliburton. I don't trust Edwards or Ball becoming mature enough. I don't trust Hayes only having one working hand. Haliburton looks very solid, but not star worthy, and not worth the extra cost.

Vuc/Bamba
Aminu/Okeke/(Isaac)
Wiggins/Ross
Fournier/(Edwards/Ball/Hayes/Haliburton)
Fultz/DJ
MagicMatic
RealGM
And1: 12,958

Post#1569 » by MagicMatic » Thu Oct 1, 2020 12:14 am

Adding 15 is a no-go IMO if we are either taking back Wiggins or trading AG for their trade exception. Moving up 13 spots in THIS draft isn’t worth it IMO if we can’t even keep our pick. There are simply no clear cut options or “sure things” unless WeHam are sold on someone completely out of reach.

I don’t believe GSW are willing to move Wiggins despite his terrible contract. He’s played 12 games with them and I seriously doubt they would have given up Dlo and #2 for AG.
OrlChamps2030
General Manager
And1: 4,160

Post#1570 » by OrlChamps2030 » Thu Oct 1, 2020 1:26 am

jezzerinho wrote:Just finished watching Mike Schmitz' breakdown with Tyrell Terry.

If I wanted that kid before for Orlando, now I'm totally sold at 15 if the expected guys are gone. Great character, clearly not a guy who's happy with mistakes or losing, just a pro already at only 18.

For anyone interested:
;feature=share

He seems like an intelligent guy with a cerebral feel for the game. Off the ball movement is one the most translatable skills imo and it brings an interesting dimension to his potential fit next to Fultz.
Bensational
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 12,450

Post#1571 » by Bensational » Thu Oct 1, 2020 1:37 am

I could see Atlanta looking to move up in the draft for that #2 pick. #6 + Huerter/Reddish/maybe Hunter. Hawks take Ball to partner with Trae. With two playmakers like that, they could really make noise if everything else comes together. I think that pairing could do real damage, together, and with their teammates.

The Warriors meanwhile take Haliburton/Nesmith/Vassel as more NBA ready rookies, and have some experienced youth that fit what they look for because Schlenk drafted them.
drsd
RealGM

Post#1572 » by drsd » Thu Oct 1, 2020 5:55 am

Bensational wrote:I'm not prepared to bank the team's future on Edwards, Ball, Wiseman, Hayes or Haliburton. I don't trust Edwards or Ball becoming mature enough. I don't trust Hayes only having one working hand. Haliburton looks very solid, but not star worthy, and not worth the extra cost.

My And-1 is on this point. For me, none of the top-three are sure fire future All-stars. Eventually Orlando must have an All-in trade. I do not think this season is the time for this kind of bold move.

Orlando is already going to have one rookie this season. Whether #15, #2 or another selection in the draft, Orlando's rookies will not be staters.

There is no "savior" for the 2020/21 season to be found in the draft.
drsd
RealGM

Post#1573 » by drsd » Thu Oct 1, 2020 5:56 am

Bensational wrote:I could see Atlanta looking to move up in the draft for that #2 pick. #6 + Huerter/Reddish/maybe Hunter. Hawks take Ball to partner with Trae. With two playmakers like that, they could really make noise if everything else comes together. I think that pairing could do real damage, together, and with their teammates.

The Warriors meanwhile take Haliburton/Nesmith/Vassel as more NBA ready rookies, and have some experienced youth that fit what they look for because Schlenk drafted them.

This is a very interesting trade for both teams. In particular, the Warriors save millions on the rookie deal AND gain key depth for their bench.
Roddy B for 3
Analyst
And1: 1,039

Post#1574 » by Roddy B for 3 » Thu Oct 1, 2020 6:22 am

Orlando is on the clock in the NBA draft forums mock draft. We'd appreciate more voices from local fans. Thanks!
7/1/2019
(I broke a mirror on 7-1-2012)
drsd
RealGM

Post#1575 » by drsd » Thu Oct 1, 2020 1:14 pm

Roddy B for 3 wrote:Orlando is on the clock in the NBA draft forums mock draft. We'd appreciate more voices from local fans. Thanks!

About 8 PGs to choose from: yuck.

MagicFan101
RealGM
And1: 6,501

Post#1576 » by MagicFan101 » Thu Oct 1, 2020 1:46 pm

The Warriors are going to be overloaded will salary for while no matter what the scenario is.

I don’t see a deal without including the #15 pick and giving them a rookie cost controlled contract to work with.

Wiggins + #2 for AG + #15 + filler (Ross?)

Maybe they would want Evan’s soon to be expiring deal?
drsd
RealGM

Post#1577 » by drsd » Thu Oct 1, 2020 3:02 pm

MagicFan101 wrote:The Warriors are going to be overloaded will salary for while no matter what the scenario is.

I don’t see a deal without including the #15 pick and giving them a rookie cost controlled contract to work with.

Wiggins + #2 for AG + #15 + filler (Ross?)

Maybe they would want Evan’s soon to be expiring deal?

I cannot see Orlando adding Ross. Adding Fournier would be tough as well.
Birch and Aminu are the two players that will balance out Wiggins' salary line; unless other players are added by both teams.

Blue_and_Whte
RealGM
And1: 9,238

Post#1578 » by Blue_and_Whte » Thu Oct 1, 2020 6:41 pm

cedric76 wrote:
The Effect wrote:
Blue_and_Whte wrote:As has been the case for the last couple of years.. We need ALPHA DOG SCORER(S).

This has really been the case for as long as i can remember. Even when we had dwight and a finals caliber team, i dont think we had a true alpha scorer. Dwight was great, but he wasnt a dominant scorer. Vince was good but on the wrong side of his prime, Rashard was a pretty good scorer and was probably the closest thing we had to one. hedo was clutch, but he wasnt a go-to guy

Really i dont think we've had one since Tmac, 15-16 years ago

And tmac took us as far as............ Same as we did this year lol
Right because an elite squad consisting of Andrew DeClercq, Drew Gooden, Gordon Giricek, Darrell Armstrong should've totally won a title.... Effing kidding me?
Faith, Family, Basketball
#2A
#Adopt
ucfmay2000
Junior
And1: 50

Post#1579 » by ucfmay2000 » Thu Oct 1, 2020 8:54 pm

Blow up the team, trade everyone accept JI, Markell, Bamba and Chuma.

Trade AG, Fournier and #15 to GS for #2 + salary dump + Paschall. Then draft Deni Avdija.

Trade Nikola to get in the mid or early late lottery. Then draft Aaron Nesmith.

Trade Ross for late first round to draft RJ Hampton.

Future line up
Markell, Nesmith, Deni, JI and Bamba
Chuma, Hampton and role players...
IllMagic04
Analyst
And1: 1,810

Post#1580 » by IllMagic04 » Thu Oct 1, 2020 9:30 pm

ucfmay2000 wrote:Blow up the team, trade everyone accept JI, Markell, Bamba and Chuma.

Trade AG, Fournier and #15 to GS for #2 + salary dump + Paschall. Then draft Deni Avdija.

Trade Nikola to get in the mid or early late lottery. Then draft Aaron Nesmith.

Trade Ross for late first round to draft RJ Hampton.

Future line up
Markell, Nesmith, Deni, JI and Bamba
Chuma, Hampton and role players...

So the only guys you wanna keep are a guy with a torn ACL, a guy coming off a torn ACL, a bust and a PG whos jumpshot is still a question mark.

Golden St probally would want more then that.

What team has the cap to take Vucs contract and would be willing to trade a pick for him

A team might do that for Ross but will Hampton be around late?

Return to Orlando Magic