ImageImageImageImage

Official 2020 NBA Draft Thread

Moderators: Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL, UCF

What kind of player do you think we need most?

Point Guard
13%
Scoring Guard
62%
Great Shooter
18%
3&D Wing
7%

Total votes: 61

MagicMatic
RealGM
And1: 12,921

Re: Official 2020 NBA Draft Thread 

Post#361 » by MagicMatic » Sun May 10, 2020 4:31 pm

Bensational wrote:
MagicMatic wrote:
Bensational wrote:
Check this scouting video on him:

Look at those gorgeous scooping layups! Look at that hang time! He just seems to find ways to stay up in the air longer than his opponent, and he can get some great separation because of that. His drive and dish game is strong, which would be good for a perimeter starved team.

His game is up and down right now, looking at his splits for this season.

The big difference between W's and L's is his efficiency. They're both split pretty evenly, with 16 W's and 15 L's. Over this 16 wins, he shot a blazing 46% from 3 on 4.1 attempts. In L's, he shoots 30% on 5.8 attempts. In fact, the numbers suggest that when he's not shooting well then he forces shots, and a lot more of them, and that likely kills the flow of the offense - because most other stats are consistent across the board.

Here are Donovan Mitchell's sophomore splits, for comparison. Similarly big gulfs between W's and L's, but Lewis' numbers are more impressive offensively, in general.

Lewis reminds me of some kind of Fox/Mitchell fusion. His TO's are way too high across the board, but that could be lightened if he's sharing playmaking with Fultz. But most of all, the kid looks like a natural scorer with strong enough handles to get where he wants, and a developing perimeter shot.

He has now become my early call for steal of the draft. The Mitchell/SGA of this draft.

If WeHam chose a 6’3 combo guard I’d be absolutely shocked. That being said, I think Lewis has a chance to be a solid player.

Hmm, I'd read he was 6'5 early on, and everything since has him listed at 6'3. So he's a 1, on defense at least.

They could give him a look with DJ becoming a FA and Evan's future free agency. Lewis off the bench year 1, running 2nd unit. See if he looks good enough to replace either of Fultz or Fournier.

The kid looks very promising, too. He's also very young for his year, and younger than most of the Freshman in this draft class. He only just turned 19 a couple weeks ago.

Yeah, I’m getting higher on Kira the more video on draft prospects I watch. I like Lewis, Maxey, Mannion, and Terry as somewhat realistic options for Orlando. I’d hope the FO doesn’t make the pick with their draft bias of length and measurements over skill if these players on are the board.
MagicFan101
RealGM
And1: 6,498

Post#362 » by MagicFan101 » Sun May 10, 2020 4:59 pm

This is the draft class where I change my tune and go for fit. Why?

a) We don’t have a top lottery pick
b) The lockdown makes scouting difficult
c) I am a believer in Fultz + Isaac
—> I think we need shooters and a killer

I want shooters with some killer competitive intangibles to put alongside Fultz and Isaac.

This class has a few interesting options for shooters. I don’t have a good sense for personal characteristics. Hopefully our scouting team can get a good sense for that.

- The FSU homer in me loves Devin Vassell as a shooter for this team but can anyone blame me?

- Aaron Nesmith and Kira Lewis are interesting to me. I have a stars next to these names as prospects I want to go watch more tape on. Both should be available and have scouting reports which suggest they could help us.

- I fully agree with others on RJ Hampton. He is a good prospect who would see time but his skills don’t compliment Fultz they mirror his and do so at a lesser scale. I would pass and focus the pick elsewhere.
pepe1991
RealGM
And1: 16,276

Post#363 » by pepe1991 » Mon May 11, 2020 7:10 am

Bensational wrote:
pepe1991 wrote:I really like Tyrese Haliburton, i don't think he would struggle that much if he plays some time off ball. Guy can flat out shoot, is 6'5 , versitale...

Do you think they'll try correct his shot and get him jumping more once he hits the pros? He's not the most graceful scorer to watch, but he certainly a scorer. Such a huge difference between his hop-shot 3pts and some of his more explosive dunks - kid can get up at times!

The Lonzo 2.0 nickname isn't unfair, he has all the same question marks Lonzo did, just no annoying dad.

I commented on other thread that his jumpshot is somewhat ugly, but unlike Lonzo he can shoot off dribble, makes solid amount of FTs ( over 80%, Lonzo was like 64%), and can pop from both sides of the floor, where Lonzo's " left shoulder- over his eyesight- to head" ball swing made it impossible for him to shoot when he drived to a left. His left- right drives in college were something like 80% right, 20% left :lol:. And he took like 10 mid range jumpers whole year because of his jumpshot issues off dribble.

His left hand position makes his jumpshot looks more awkward than it probably is.
Life is what happens when you're busy making other plans. -John Lennon
drsd
RealGM
And1: 7,908

Post#364 » by drsd » Mon May 11, 2020 8:56 am

MagicFan101 wrote:I want shooters with some killer competitive intangibles to put alongside Fultz and Isaac.

a) Gordon will be traded for the shooting reasons.

b) Okeke was drafted as a potential 3-and-D player.

c) Thus, at SG, Orlando rally needs a player that "can create his own shot."

In conclusion: I would be very happy if Orlando trades Gordon, this year's FRP and the 2022 FRP to the Warriors for the rights to Anthony Edwards.

Fultz/Edwards/Isaac/Okeke/Vučević is a starting five that is balanced and really, quite interesting.

Tarheel
Sixth Man
And1: 767

Post#365 » by Tarheel » Mon May 11, 2020 9:18 am

drsd wrote:Fultz/Edwards/Isaac/Okeke/Vučević is a starting five that is balanced and really, quite interesting.

It would be nice to see a change-up like this. I'm no fan of change for change's sake, but this would be a refreshing roster to watch after the last couple of years.

I also think that GSW would bite on the deal you proposed (absent better offers) as it helps them win now alongside increasing their asset pool to chase Giannis.

Edit: If Mo makes sufficient strides a Fultz/Edwards/Isaac/Okeke/Bamba lineup has the potential to be a scary balanced team.
drsd
RealGM

Post#366 » by drsd » Mon May 11, 2020 10:35 am

Tarheel wrote:Edit: If Mo makes sufficient strides a Fultz/Edwards/Isaac/Okeke/Bamba lineup has the potential to be a scary balanced team.

If Bamba "gets better" then Vučević becomes a clear trade asset around 2021/22.

Bakomagic
Bench Warmer
And1: 894

Post#367 » by Bakomagic » Mon May 11, 2020 3:38 pm

People still like to talk about Lonzo like he hasn’t majorly improved his jump shot. He changed his form (set point) and is shooting 38% from 3p on 6.5 attempts per game.

Lonzo has basically turned himself into MCW with floor spacing ability. He’d be a great fit on pretty much any NBA roster.
drsd
RealGM

Post#368 » by drsd » Mon May 11, 2020 4:22 pm

Bakomagic wrote:People still like to talk about Lonzo like he hasn’t majorly improved his jump shot. He changed his form (set point) and is shooting 38% from 3p on 6.5 attempts per game.

These are actually phenomenal stat lines. For the three-ball, anything above 33% is Mendoza (and is effectively a 50% two-ball). To do that at a high volume is INCREDIBLE.
(( There were 16 players this year with Ball's min line of 38.3% on 6.5 three-ball attempts per game;
spoiler alert = this include Fournier ))
NBA.com: 38.3% on 6.5 three-ball attempts per game

Lonzo has basically turned himself into MCW with floor spacing ability. He’d be a great fit on pretty much any NBA roster.

Carter-Williams with a three-ball. We can all DREAM the dream.

In conclusion, I am sold that Ball will evolve in a stable PG starter in this league.

MasterGMer
Veteran
And1: 583

Post#369 » by MasterGMer » Mon May 11, 2020 10:07 pm

drsd wrote:
MagicFan101 wrote:I want shooters with some killer competitive intangibles to put alongside Fultz and Isaac.

In conclusion: I would be very happy if Orlando trades Gordon, this year's FRP and the 2022 FRP to the Warriors for the rights to Anthony Edwards.

Fultz/Edwards/Isaac/Okeke/Vučević is a starting five that is balanced and really, quite interesting.

Where did you hear the rumor that GSW could trade their Top Pick + Andrew Wiggins for Gordon and more? We have to give up more and I wonder who that is. Do we have to give up one of Fultz and JI?
MagicFan101
RealGM
And1: 6,498

Post#370 » by MagicFan101 » Mon May 11, 2020 10:26 pm

MasterGMer wrote:
drsd wrote:

Where did you hear the rumor that GSW could trade their Top Pick + Andrew Wiggins for Gordon and more? We have to give up more and I wonder who that is. Do we have to give up one of Fultz and JI?

This is almost universally understood. Google “GSW + Giannis” and you will quickly read rumors all about the pick they acquired + Wiggins and how it was all being three steps ahead.

... I still don’t see Giannis going anywhere this round. I see him signing one more deal in MIL and if that doesn’t get him a ring then we moves on. He can demand any structure to this deal he wants. He’s 25 years old. Give him opt outs after 2 years. I could see him leaving then if this doesn’t pan out.
MasterGMer
Veteran

Post#371 » by MasterGMer » Tue May 12, 2020 4:57 am

Why are many people saying this draft is a weak draft?
MagicMatic
RealGM
And1: 12,921

Post#372 » by MagicMatic » Tue May 12, 2020 5:44 am

MasterGMer wrote:Why are many people saying this draft is a weak draft?

No truly dominant consensus players.
Lack of 2 way wing players.
Complete guessing game after pick 3.
Not a lot of good statistical data on many top prospects.
A lot of top prospects got hurt and no tournament hype.
Many prospects played in lesser overseas leagues.
drsd
RealGM

Post#373 » by drsd » Tue May 12, 2020 8:56 am

MasterGMer wrote:Where did you hear the rumor that GSW could trade their Top Pick + Andrew Wiggins for Gordon and more? We have to give up more and I wonder who that is. Do we have to give up one of Fultz and JI?

No the rumors are that i) The Warriors want a developed player and not a rookie and ii) the Warriors like Gordon.

There is no rumor connecting those thought lines.

Tarheel
Sixth Man
And1: 767

Post#374 » by Tarheel » Tue May 12, 2020 9:07 am

MasterGMer wrote:Why are many people saying this draft is a weak draft?

It depends on your definition of weak. It's certainly weak in terms of nailed on franchise talent at the top, but I think it's actually quite strong in terms of depth of role-playing/starter talent. If we don't trade our pick then there should be good value for us in the middle of the first round.
Blue_and_Whte
RealGM
And1: 9,238

Post#375 » by Blue_and_Whte » Tue May 12, 2020 6:02 pm

MagicFan101 wrote:This is the draft class where I change my tune and go for fit. Why?

a) We don’t have a top lottery pick
b) The lockdown makes scouting difficult
c) I am a believer in Fultz + Isaac
—> I think we need shooters and a killer

I want shooters with some killer competitive intangibles to put alongside Fultz and Isaac.

This class has a few interesting options for shooters. I don’t have a good sense for personal characteristics. Hopefully our scouting team can get a good sense for that.

- The FSU homer in me loves Devin Vassell as a shooter for this team but can anyone blame me?

- Aaron Nesmith and Kira Lewis are interesting to me. I have a stars next to these names as prospects I want to go watch more tape on. Both should be available and have scouting reports which suggest they could help us.

- I fully agree with others on RJ Hampton. He is a good prospect who would see time but his skills don’t compliment Fultz they mirror his and do so at a lesser scale. I would pass and focus the pick elsewhere.

We agree on everything here...
Faith, Family, Basketball
#2A
#Adopt
jezzerinho
Starter
And1: 1,506

Post#376 » by jezzerinho » Tue May 12, 2020 9:07 pm

Two guys who might need a small tradeup to get that interest me are Tyrese Maxey and Devin Vassell.
MasterGMer
Veteran

Post#377 » by MasterGMer » Wed May 13, 2020 12:38 am

How do you guys think of this one: Haowen Guo from China. He is only 20 years old and has attended 2019 Nike Hoop Summit. He was the leading scorer in the U19 FIBA World Cup and he will be eligible in the Class of 2022. Dude is 6'7 and plays PG. Great ball skills and speed. Could be a first round pick.

Bensational
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 12,400

Post#378 » by Bensational » Wed May 13, 2020 1:40 am

MasterGMer wrote:How do you guys think of this one: Haowen Guo from China. He is only 20 years old and has attended 2019 Nike Hoop Summit. He was the leading scorer in the U19 FIBA World Cup and he will be eligible in the Class of 2022. Dude is 6'7 and plays PG. Great ball skills and speed. Could be a first round pick.

Why isn't he eligible to be drafted now? He's old enough, right? Or still under contract in China?

Looks promising. A player of that height with those skills. But, he's also playing against boys and dominating them because he's so much physically bigger than them.

Could be a good stash prospect? Could also be good to have one of China's better players in terms of marketability for the team and putting us on the map internationally at least. But considering there's brewing tensions between the nations and the Magic's owners are staunch Republicans, I don't see them being inclined to cross the picket line, so to speak.
Bensational
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 12,400

Post#379 » by Bensational » Wed May 13, 2020 8:04 am

Saw in the draft boards a post that showed the % of prospects shots that were blocked. Kira is pretty high up, getting blocked 15% of the time. Some of the other high volume guys are also up there, which stands to reason. I think Kira could learn to avoid that with his level of IQ, but it might only get worse at first in a league with bigger defenders.
drsd
RealGM

Post#380 » by drsd » Wed May 13, 2020 8:38 am

Bensational wrote:Why isn't he eligible to be drafted now? He's old enough, right? Or still under contract in China?

Looks promising. A player of that height with those skills. But, he's also playing against boys and dominating them because he's so much physically bigger than them.

Could be a good stash prospect? Could also be good to have one of China's better players in terms of marketability for the team and putting us on the map internationally at least.

NBA draft rules have nothing to do with contact status: read Mr. Vázquez as an example. Also, he is some small months older than LaMelo Ball and Anthony Edwards. So: perhaps his lack of eligibility is simply because he has not declared (as with many college Freshman and Sophomores, who will "eventually" declare).

Specially an "International player" is automatically draft eligible by default only when they are 22.
In conclusion: I assume he is not eligible because he did not declare Eligibility for the NBA draft.

But considering there's brewing tensions between the nations and the Magic's owners are staunch Republicans, I don't see them being inclined to cross the picket line, so to speak.

Orlando ownership has favored "High moral character". Ethnicity and national origin have never been issues for the DeVos family. They are business persons. If Haowen Guo has even a 1% chance to be the next "Lin" marketing wise, of course Mr. Amway would agree to Guo being drafted.

Return to Orlando Magic