ImageImageImageImage

Official 2020 NBA Draft Thread

Moderators: UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL

What kind of player do you think we need most?

Point Guard
13%
Scoring Guard
62%
Great Shooter
18%
3&D Wing
7%

Total votes: 61

Bensational
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 12,404

Re: Official 2020 NBA Draft Thread 

Post#401 » by Bensational » Sat May 23, 2020 11:49 pm

Husky1 wrote:not getting the Vassell hype? He's projected a Trevor Ariza at best. We already have (hopefully) a better version in Okeke. We should draft someone with a elite skill at something, so Bey (Defense), Nesmith/s.Bey (shooting) and ,Maledon (playmaking/iq). I would not be upset with Maledon either, he was the higher prospect than both other euros last year, he's only 18 and was playing in euro league for a better team than both Hayes and Avijda, so his role was limited compared to them. He's smooth and smart, doesn't jump off the page athletically or anything but still looks calm and composed. Might be perfect next to fultz.

I hadn't looked into Maledon before - he looks quite good! Very calm and poised style of play (in his highlights anyway). Keeps the ball alive well with relatively simple handles. Reads defense's well. He has a great gather on his drives which gets defenders up in the air early, before he jumps, allowing him to hang longer for a cleaner look. Uses his extension well reaching to good layup looks.

I couldn't see much of his defense. He picked a few passes in what I saw. He looks very underwhelming athletically, but he has the skill to transcend that. I see shades of Levert, Fournier and Augustin in the way he plays.

As for Vassell, he would be a great piece to add for future teams, but not the kind of star talent we need. Then again, nobody at 15 is gonna be an obvious star choice. I'm not sold Okeke is anything more than a rotation player until he plays a game, so I'm not worried about duplication with him yet. A bench of:

Bamba
Okeke
Vassell
Ross
(?)

Would be versatile and well rounded, other than missing the playmaker to put it all together.
youngWizzy
Rookie
And1: 481

Post#402 » by youngWizzy » Sun May 24, 2020 9:54 pm

Hey guys, I just added a new feature to my site that let's you compare two prospects side by side here: https://nbadraftcomp.herokuapp.com/compare

Probably one of the cooler tools I've added.

I also added age as a method for comparing players for per40 and advanced stats which a lot of you requested! You can also choose to add manual measurements on the site as well as pick and choose which measurements you would like to compare physical measurements for players. Also similarity scores for comparisons are on the site as well!

If you don't mind checking it out that'd be amazing!!!!

Twitter: @youngwizzydfs
basketballRob
RealGM
And1: 10,716

Post#403 » by basketballRob » Mon May 25, 2020 8:26 pm

Knightro wrote:The Ringer's latest mock...

1. Anthony Edwards
2. LaMelo Ball
3. James Wiseman
4. Deni Avdija
5. Isaac Okoro
6. Tyrese Haliburton
7. Obi Toppin
8. Tyrese Maxey
9. Onyeka Okongwu
10. Devin Vassell
11. Killian Hayes
12. RJ Hampton
13. Aaron Nesmith
14. Cole Anthony

The Magic, in theory, would have some interest in every guy selected 10-14 there.

Orlando currently slotted at 15 would potentially be looking at guys like Tyrell Terry, Kira Lewis Jr., Josh Green, Theo Maledon if the board shook out like this.
I'm surprised that I've seen Kira Lewis mocked late in the second round. He's a sophomore but just turned 19.

Sent from my SM-G950U using RealGM mobile app
basketballRob
RealGM

Post#404 » by basketballRob » Mon May 25, 2020 8:28 pm

Husky1 wrote:not getting the Vassell hype? He's projected a Trevor Ariza at best. We already have (hopefully) a better version in Okeke. We should draft someone with a elite skill at something, so Bey (Defense), Nesmith/s.Bey (shooting) and ,Maledon (playmaking/iq). I would not be upset with Maledon either, he was the higher prospect than both other euros last year, he's only 18 and was playing in euro league for a better team than both Hayes and Avijda, so his role was limited compared to them. He's smooth and smart, doesn't jump off the page athletically or anything but still looks calm and composed. Might be perfect next to fultz.
Vassell is a two and Ariza is a three. I'd be happy though if he had Ariza type defense and could shoot the 3.

MagicMatic
RealGM
And1: 12,924

Post#405 » by MagicMatic » Tue May 26, 2020 10:18 pm

Listened to the latest Game Theory podcast. Got a few takeaways from the conversation on guards in this draft.

Tyrell Terry (+)
Kira Lewis (+)
Tyrese Maxey (-)
Nico Mannion (-)

They did say decent things about RJ Hampton, Jahmius Ramsey and Vassell, but nothing I didn’t already know about those prospects.

I’m slowly getting on board the Terry or Lewis train if we are looking at adding what we lack and a gem doesn’t fall to us.
basketballRob
RealGM

Post#406 » by basketballRob » Wed May 27, 2020 10:34 am

MagicMatic wrote:Listened to the latest Game Theory podcast. Got a few takeaways from the conversation on guards in this draft.

Tyrell Terry (+)
Kira Lewis (+)
Tyrese Maxey (-)
Nico Mannion (-)

They did say decent things about RJ Hampton, Jahmius Ramsey and Vassell, but nothing I didn’t already know about those prospects.

I’m slowly getting on board the Terry or Lewis train if we are looking at adding what we lack and a gem doesn’t fall to us.
I haven't seen any mocks that had Lewis in the first round. Must be a deep draft.

drsd
RealGM
And1: 7,916

Post#407 » by drsd » Wed May 27, 2020 1:32 pm

Dear all:

What is the lack of enthusiasm for RJ Hampton as the Magic's pick?

MagicMatic
RealGM

Post#408 » by MagicMatic » Wed May 27, 2020 2:50 pm

drsd wrote:Dear all:

Hampton is said to be a good player with a strong work ethic.

The Ringer’s synopsis on him :

Shifty athlete with a speedy first step, but activating his talent will require developing his jumper.

He can hit turbo on drives to the rim, and has explosiveness when elevating for layups. He stays low on crossovers, and displays advanced moves with herky-jerky hesitations.

Without a reliable jumper, his strengths will be diminished. Selecting him is a big bet on the development of his shooting ability.

Sounds like we already have this guy on our team... his name is Markelle Fultz. Not saying RJ can’t become something better obviously, but from everything I’ve read/seen his skill set provides nothing that we lack.
zaymon
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,156

Post#409 » by zaymon » Wed May 27, 2020 2:56 pm

I think the most simple asnwer is his shooting. Its hard to get excited about a prospect as a magic fan, when the shot is not there (being a secondary ball handler without being a movement shooter is tough). I almost have nightmares about ball bouncing off the rim. Also his athletecism without solid handle gives me smaller Aaron Gordon vibes (altough he has a quicker first step). We were burn by godly athletes without feel for the game so many times that its catching up to us. Also he had a negative impact for his team in the nbl. On the other hand i must agree he is underrated in some aspects. His level of athletecism, with solid passing and length gives him pretty big ceiling. I wouldnt be suprised if he ends up being better than Haliburton.
My money is on Banchero going number 1 !
yoyojw17
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,091

Post#410 » by yoyojw17 » Wed May 27, 2020 5:29 pm

Bensational wrote:
zaymon wrote:
pepe1991 wrote:Aaron Nesmith ?
Fits position and need....

He doesnt fit our need for ball handlers and passers. I have mixed feelings about him, is he really better than Ross ?

If we picked him up, he wouldn't give us a playmaker, but he would give us a play-finisher and that's another element we're missing. The comparison to Ross is fair, but that's also an underrated positive comp. How many games has Ross bailed us out of over the past two seasons? Add one more of those guys to the mix, and you won't be unhappy. Ross/Duncan Robinson/Joe Harris/etc, those sorts of guys are great to have in a rotation, especially if on a cost controlled rookie scale contract.

Bamba
Okeke
Ross
Nesmith
DJ (or FA)

That's a ton of shooting potential in that lineup.

This might be a good draft to sneak back into if mid-first picks are going cheap, because there are a few good value prospects looking to still be on the board.

I see the Ross comparison.... But what if we throw in the "consistent Ross" label.... Then he in my opinion is a surefire starter and has a great career! He's 6'-6" with defensive potential... That shot 52 percent from three..and as the top offensive player on the team. When you're not a primary ball handler and you shoot at that kind of clip.... I don't expect you to be pass happy. Hahah... So I'm not gonna scrutinize his assist ratio cuz ... He shoots 52% from three. As a coach... You shoot that ball if open cuz there damn well ain't a better option on that court. Hahah
jezzerinho
Starter
And1: 1,506

Post#411 » by jezzerinho » Wed May 27, 2020 6:04 pm

Riller is an out of the box offensive weapon, albeit having only shown it in an inferior division.

Knowing Clifford's ability to get offensive players to up their defensive production (Kemba, Evan etc), is drafting an offense-first player even on the FO's radar, or do they need to be balanced players coming out? If they rolled the dice on Clifford upping Riller's D, he could be an interesting option as a combo guard.
basketballRob
RealGM

Post#412 » by basketballRob » Thu May 28, 2020 3:52 am

After watching some highlights, i think Lewis is much better.

Husky1
Senior
And1: 314

Post#413 » by Husky1 » Thu May 28, 2020 6:39 am

I wouldn't be upset with Lewis or Jahmius Ramsay, he's being slept on. He's a pitbull. Hampton i'm not sure about. Same with Josh Green, can't get a read on them. I think the FO continues with our identity in length/defense and take Tyler bey/ Green / Okoro. Smoky pick is they go with the upside of Jaden Mcdaniels.
drsd
RealGM

Post#414 » by drsd » Thu May 28, 2020 8:25 am

MagicMatic wrote:Sounds like we already have this guy on our team... his name is Markelle Fultz. Not saying RJ can’t become something better obviously, but from everything I’ve read/seen his skill set provides nothing that we lack.

Well: my view is that Orlando is drafting a bench player. To have a 1B player that has the same skill set as a 1A player is not a problem to me per se.

Certainly I would see little playing time for Fultz and Hampton on the court together over the next two years.

drsd
RealGM

Post#415 » by drsd » Thu May 28, 2020 8:35 am

NBAdrat.net currently tabs Orlando with Theo Maledon. Any reports on this Frenchman? 6'5" PG sounds great. But can he actually play basketball?
J-Mezzy
RealGM
And1: 3,218

Post#416 » by J-Mezzy » Thu May 28, 2020 11:58 am

I don't know much about these prospects, but we are in desperate need of some shooting
Thank you triplemke23 for the sig.
Husky1
Senior
And1: 314

Post#417 » by Husky1 » Thu May 28, 2020 12:53 pm

J-Mezzy wrote:I don't know much about these prospects, but we are in desperate need of some shooting

I think we all agree on this, however we need to draft a shooter who is also able to defend. Adding a pure shooter like Ross (who i think is a team killer) that can't contribute in any other area if his shot is off, can be detrimental to the side/system were building. Im not sure is Nesmith is any good at defence, he's good size so hopefully cliff can teach him. The best bet for a pure shooter who can defend is probably Saddiq Bey or Ramsay.
dsg2021
Analyst
And1: 1,035

Post#418 » by dsg2021 » Thu May 28, 2020 3:06 pm

I'm ready to do a 100 hour research study on the pattern of strong draft years, detecting them as early as possible in both traditional and untraditional methods, and then helping ORL trade into them, starting this summer. If you trade into it right now, it's pure value.

I also have my proprietary, preliminary scouting model that is based primarily around concepts in sociology and psychology. Are you tired of wondering why college player X was rated as a 'great starter' because of skills x, y, and z by scouting, but then ended up as a 'rotation player' a few years later? Stop scouting with just your eyes, and take a view of scouting and rating that includes the culture and sociology surrounding a player.

I'm here taking courses like Entrepreneurial Innovation and Creativity, Creative Writing, Sports Management, a minor in Psychology, law school experience, a nearly completed MBA, years and years of fan-scouting the NBA and NCAA, and a multi-year spanning journal dedicated solely to basketball-related ideas for further exploring. I have a firm foundation in taking a holistic and creative approach towards elite team success.

Take me off the bench, coach.
I'm free the first year as a "prove-it intern" and then I'm a mercenary. I got connections to the Celtics already, but I don't want to help anyone but ORL first.

Spoiler:
Post sarcasm? You decide.. :lol:
MagicMatic
RealGM

Post#419 » by MagicMatic » Thu May 28, 2020 3:56 pm

drsd wrote:
MagicMatic wrote:Sounds like we already have this guy on our team... his name is Markelle Fultz. Not saying RJ can’t become something better obviously, but from everything I’ve read/seen his skill set provides nothing that we lack.

Well: my view is that Orlando is drafting a bench player. To have a 1B player that has the same skill set as a 1A player is not a problem to me per se.

Certainly I would see little playing time for Fultz and Hampton on the court together over the next two years.

This draft is weird. I think Orlando for once is in ok position to land a player that can really help them IF the skill set makes sense.

I wouldn’t even mind Hampton as the pick. However, thinking that Hampton and Fultz could easily co-exist in the back court seems like a little bit of a stretch compared to other viable options.

I also don’t really subscribe to the idea that Orlando is drafting only a bench player in this draft. Mostly because the starters and rotation currently in place aren’t that great. Ennis (23mpg), Iwundu (18mpg), or DJ (25 mpg) can be easily replaced by a player with a knack for scoring, which is something Orlando hasn’t thrived at doing in a long time.
Skybox
RealGM
And1: 5,623

Post#420 » by Skybox » Thu May 28, 2020 4:08 pm

I like the concept of "knack for scoring"...a pure shooter isn't ONLY what we need, scorers score and scorers create a threat that must be addressed defensively which can then make other non-creators able to score. So much of good shooting is team play related. Efficiency ratings of a player is so reliant on the team as well as the player's fit. I'd welcome an inefficient non-shooter like Iverson or Westbrook.

Return to Orlando Magic