ImageImageImageImage

Official 2020 NBA Draft Thread

Moderators: Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL, UCF

What kind of player do you think we need most?

Point Guard
13%
Scoring Guard
62%
Great Shooter
18%
3&D Wing
7%

Total votes: 61

basketballRob
RealGM
And1: 10,688

Re: Official 2020 NBA Draft Thread 

Post#481 » by basketballRob » Wed Jun 3, 2020 10:52 pm

thelead wrote:
Knightro wrote:
thelead wrote:We'll likely draft a SG to play in garbage time behind Evan and Ross.

And that’s fine, right?

Even if Fournier is opts in, its certainly possible and perhaps even very likely that 20-21 is his final year in Orlando.

Drafting a SG who could be ready to take over as a starter in 21-22 could work out quite nicely from a roster construction standpoint.

Fine? I guess. Preferred? No. Every year, teams find big impact rookies after the lotto (not always stars but at least big minute backups)... we just can't do it. Outside of Courtney Lee and Matt Harpring, our non-lotto picks have been trash (respectfully lol).
Gortat was okay. Pachulia and Varejao.

Sent from my SM-G950U using RealGM mobile app
Knightro
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 24,151

Post#482 » by Knightro » Wed Jun 3, 2020 11:20 pm

thelead wrote:Fine? I guess. Preferred? No. Every year, teams find big impact rookies after the lotto (not always stars but at least big minute backups)... we just can't do it. Outside of Courtney Lee and Matt Harpring, our non-lotto picks have been trash (respectfully lol).

I mean the hit rate on picks outside of the lottery is not very good period. I wouldn't say that is exclusively just a Magic problem.

There's 15 non-lotto first rounders and 45 total non-lotto picks every year. How many of them are even good as rookies? Like 3 a year?
npiper17
General Manager
And1: 2,337

Post#483 » by npiper17 » Thu Jun 4, 2020 9:17 am

Is there a reason why people lump every front office we've had into one?

I'm pretty sure if you took a new job where you were responsible for executive decision making, you'd like to be judged on your own decisions rather than those of past administrations.
drsd
RealGM
And1: 7,891

Post#484 » by drsd » Thu Jun 4, 2020 11:01 am

Knightro wrote:I mean the hit rate on picks outside of the lottery is not very good period. I wouldn't say that is exclusively just a Magic problem.

And-1

The league expectation at the Magic's draft pick is by very definition, "Rotational player".

More is great and less is poor. But Orlando is looking for smoothing like a career back-up PG in the very-deep PG draft.

drsd
RealGM

Post#485 » by drsd » Thu Jun 4, 2020 11:01 am

npiper17 wrote:Is there a reason why people lump every front office we've had into one?

I'm pretty sure if you took a new job where you were responsible for executive decision making, you'd like to be judged on your own decisions rather than those of past administrations.

I would love to see metrics, but I think Orlando is slightly above average in management outcomes, league wide.

KillMonger
RealGM
And1: 9,970

Post#486 » by KillMonger » Thu Jun 4, 2020 6:58 pm

drsd wrote:
Knightro wrote:I mean the hit rate on picks outside of the lottery is not very good period. I wouldn't say that is exclusively just a Magic problem.

And-1

The league expectation at the Magic's draft pick is by very definition, "Rotational player".

More is great and less is poor. But Orlando is looking for smoothing like a career back-up PG in the very-deep PG draft.

so lmao.....basically we're looking at a DJ Augstine level player at our spot?
pepe1991
RealGM
And1: 16,223

Post#487 » by pepe1991 » Fri Jun 5, 2020 6:11 am

KillMonger wrote:
drsd wrote:

And-1

Magic drafting last couple of years has been in line of thinking "we have our superstar, we need to add rotation peaces that fit"
Who's that star, your guess is as wide as mine :crazy:
Life is what happens when you're busy making other plans. -John Lennon
basketballRob
RealGM

Post#488 » by basketballRob » Fri Jun 5, 2020 9:46 am

If we're looking at a rotational piece that will be there, I'd take Maledon. He has a good handle and plays well within a system.

drsd
RealGM

Post#489 » by drsd » Fri Jun 5, 2020 12:20 pm

KillMonger wrote:
drsd wrote:

And-1

Yes that is the expectation at the given draft slot. What else would we expect from a Théo Maledon or a RJ Hampton?
basketballRob
RealGM

Post#490 » by basketballRob » Sat Jun 6, 2020 7:50 pm

drsd wrote:
KillMonger wrote:
drsd wrote:
And-1

Yes that is the expectation at the given draft slot. What else would we expect from a Théo Maledon or a RJ Hampton?
A lot of depth at PG in our range of the draft.

Knightro
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 24,151

Post#491 » by Knightro » Sun Jun 7, 2020 12:25 am

I'm finding myself more and more intrigued by Kira Lewis Jr.

You look at some of the other guards in that outside the top 5 range and Lewis Jr. is the youngest of the bunch.

Cole Anthony - born May 2000
Tyrell Terry - born September 2000
Tyrese Maxey - born November 2000
RJ Hampton - born February 2001
Kira Lewis Jr. - born April 2001

But despite being the youngest, Lewis Jr also has the most experience of the group by a wide margin and it's good experience.

Lewis Jr. - 2242 CBB minutes
Maxey - 1069 CBB minutes
Terry - 1010 CBB minutes
Anthony - 768 CBB minutes
Hampton - 309 NBL minutes

I think there's a definitely fit as both a backup PG and even potentially seeing some minutes alongside Fultz because of Lewis Jr.'s shooting ability.
basketballRob
RealGM

Post#492 » by basketballRob » Sun Jun 7, 2020 2:14 am

Knightro wrote:I'm finding myself more and more intrigued by Kira Lewis Jr.

You look at some of the other guards in that outside the top 5 range and Lewis Jr. is the youngest of the bunch.

Cole Anthony - born May 2000
Tyrell Terry - born September 2000
Tyrese Maxey - born November 2000
RJ Hampton - born February 2001
Kira Lewis Jr. - born April 2001

But despite being the youngest, Lewis Jr also has the most experience of the group by a wide margin and it's good experience.

Lewis Jr. - 2242 CBB minutes
Maxey - 1069 CBB minutes
Terry - 1010 CBB minutes
Anthony - 768 CBB minutes
Hampton - 309 NBL minutes

I think there's a definitely fit as both a backup PG and even potentially seeing some minutes alongside Fultz because of Lewis Jr.'s shooting ability.
Don't forget about Maledon, June 2001. One thing that intrigues me about him, is he consistently draws fouls.

thelead
RealGM
And1: 25,499

Post#493 » by thelead » Sun Jun 7, 2020 2:24 am

KillMonger wrote:
drsd wrote:

And-1

I agree which is why I find it funny to put so much thought into what amounts to meh. Pick the BPA and hope for the best.
drsd
RealGM

Post#494 » by drsd » Sun Jun 7, 2020 9:23 am

Knightro wrote:I think there's a definitely fit as both a backup PG and even potentially seeing some minutes alongside Fultz because of Lewis Jr.'s shooting ability.

Lewis' dramatic increase in assists is promising. His consistently high FG% rate implies he has correct mechanics to be a good outside shooter in the NBA 3-ball.

Could be a nice backup-PG behind Fultz,.

drsd
RealGM

Post#495 » by drsd » Sun Jun 7, 2020 9:25 am

thelead wrote:Pick the BPA and hope for the best.

Frankly: drafting overall-#1 or #60, BPA must be always the correct choice. The draft is not about flushing out an NBA roster.

But this is a very good draft for back-up PG prospects. I do not think that is debatable. I do think Orlando will be looking to BPA as a combo guard or a project-PG. The combo forwards do not seem to be in the range of the Magic, unless Precious Achiuwa slides.
zaymon
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,140

Post#496 » by zaymon » Sun Jun 7, 2020 12:14 pm

drsd wrote:

Frankly: drafting overall-#1 or #60, BPA must be always the correct choice. The draft is not about flushing out an NBA roster.

But this is a very good draft for back-up PG prospects. I do not think that is debatable. I do think Orlando will be looking to BPA as a combo guard or a project-PG. The combo forwards do not seem to be in the range of the Magic, unless Precious Achiuwa slides.

I guess important is how do you define combo forward, defending 3/4 ? A lot combo wing/forwards in our range imho. Bigger wings who can potentially defend up to 4: L. Bolmaro, J. Green, D. Vassell, RJ Hampton(maybe he cant), A. Nesmith. Forwards: P. Williams, S. Bey, A. Pokusevski, P. Reed.
Potential project pg, combo guards are not in the Weltman mold. Lewis is the most Weltman- like but propably gone, Terry is small, Maxey is small, Hampton fits but cant shoot (still the most interesting?), Anthony is small and propably gone.
I would try to hunt for guards with our second round pick: Flynn, Butler, Riller, Ayayi, Winston, N'Doye.
Weltman will propably try to grab a wing like always though: Hughes, Bane, Woodard, Smith, Stanley.
My money is on Banchero going number 1 !
basketballRob
RealGM

Post#497 » by basketballRob » Sun Jun 7, 2020 1:38 pm

zaymon wrote:
drsd wrote:

I guess important is how do you define combo forward, defending 3/4 ? A lot combo wing/forwards in our range imho. Bigger wings who can potentially defend up to 4: L. Bolmaro, J. Green, D. Vassell, RJ Hampton(maybe he cant), A. Nesmith. Forwards: P. Williams, S. Bey, A. Pokusevski, P. Reed.
Potential project pg, combo guards are not in the Weltman mold. Lewis is the most Weltman- like but propably gone, Terry is small, Maxey is small, Hampton fits but cant shoot (still the most interesting?), Anthony is small and propably gone.
I would try to hunt for guards with our second round pick: Flynn, Butler, Riller, Ayayi, Winston, N'Doye.
Weltman will propably try to grab a wing like always though: Hughes, Bane, Woodard, Smith, Stanley.
Ramsey is a wildcard. He has the same build and athletic ability as Donovan Mitchell, plus he can play the PG. He has the same 6'10" wingspan.

Another reason to pick Ramsey is he's a strong, tough guard. He's 18 and already has an NBA body. I think the lack of physical strength hurts us at the guard position.

zaymon
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,140

Post#498 » by zaymon » Sun Jun 7, 2020 2:15 pm

basketballRob wrote:
zaymon wrote:
drsd wrote:

Ramsey is a wildcard. He has the same build and athletic ability as Donovan Mitchell, plus he can play the PG. He has the same 6'10" wingspan.

Another reason to pick Ramsey is he's a strong, tough guard. He's 18 and already has an NBA body. I think the lack of physical strength hurts us at the guard position.

I dont think he is a natural basketball player. I have Mo Bamba vibes, but Mo can still deliver with his shooting and rim protection while Ramsey would have to handle the ball more.
My money is on Banchero going number 1 !
basketballRob
RealGM

Post#499 » by basketballRob » Sun Jun 7, 2020 2:18 pm

zaymon wrote:
basketballRob wrote:
zaymon wrote:I guess important is how do you define combo forward, defending 3/4 ? A lot combo wing/forwards in our range imho. Bigger wings who can potentially defend up to 4: L. Bolmaro, J. Green, D. Vassell, RJ Hampton(maybe he cant), A. Nesmith. Forwards: P. Williams, S. Bey, A. Pokusevski, P. Reed.

I dont think he is a natural basketball player. I have Mo Bamba vibes, but Mo can still deliver with his shooting and rim protection while Ramsey would have to handle the ball more.
He looks like he can create and defend to me. He hasn't officially been measured. If he officially ends up with 6'10" wingspan, i think he shoots up the draft board.

drsd
RealGM

Post#500 » by drsd » Sun Jun 7, 2020 5:07 pm

zaymon wrote:I guess important is how do you define combo forward, defending 3/4 ? A lot combo wing/forwards in our range imho. Bigger wings who can potentially defend up to 4: L. Bolmaro, J. Green, D. Vassell, RJ Hampton(maybe he cant), A. Nesmith. Forwards: P. Williams, S. Bey, A. Pokusevski, P. Reed.

I am confused by this narrative. Question: do you think Orlando needs to improve guard play over forward play. Yes or no?

Return to Orlando Magic