ImageImageImageImage

Official 2020 NBA Draft Thread

Moderators: Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL, UCF

What kind of player do you think we need most?

Point Guard
13%
Scoring Guard
62%
Great Shooter
18%
3&D Wing
7%

Total votes: 61

The Effect
Magic Forum Mock Draft Co-Champ
And1: 2,053

Re: Official 2020 NBA Draft Thread 

Post#761 » by The Effect » Tue Jul 21, 2020 12:34 am

jezzerinho wrote:
Knightro wrote:A few more guys I like...

Xavier Tillman of Michigan State. I have a soft spot for bigs who can pass and defend. If the Magic needed a 4/5 (they don't), I could be talked into taking him at 16. Some people have him in the second round. I don't. I'm a big fan.

I don't think he's going to end up staying in the draft, but Joel Ayayi of Gonzaga is a guy I like as a sleeper second rounder. He'll probably go back to school and if he keeps improving like I think he will, he'll be a first rounder in 2021.

Another guy I like in the second round is Malachi Flynn of San Diego State. I think he can be a fantastic backup PG.

I'm with you on Flynn. If we traded picks or players to get a late first, like maybe one of Boston's, Tyrrell Terry interests me too. Physically, he's a huge gamble. But guys with his touch are very rare beasts.

yeah if we traded down, or even if we traded AG for a high pick that was used on a SG, Terry seems like a great option for a backup PG

Imagine the scoring punch we could have off the bench with him and ross
The Effect

Post#762 » by The Effect » Tue Jul 21, 2020 12:35 am

jezzerinho wrote:
Knightro wrote:A few more guys I like...

Xavier Tillman of Michigan State. I have a soft spot for bigs who can pass and defend. If the Magic needed a 4/5 (they don't), I could be talked into taking him at 16. Some people have him in the second round. I don't. I'm a big fan.

I don't think he's going to end up staying in the draft, but Joel Ayayi of Gonzaga is a guy I like as a sleeper second rounder. He'll probably go back to school and if he keeps improving like I think he will, he'll be a first rounder in 2021.

Another guy I like in the second round is Malachi Flynn of San Diego State. I think he can be a fantastic backup PG.

I'm with you on Flynn. If we traded picks or players to get a late first, like maybe one of Boston's, Tyrrell Terry interests me too. Physically, he's a huge gamble. But guys with his touch are very rare beasts.

Living in San Diego and being a huge SDSU fan, i LOVE flynn and would be thrilled if we got him
Knightro
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 24,345

Post#763 » by Knightro » Tue Jul 21, 2020 12:51 am

CBS Sports Mock from Kyle Boone

1. James Wiseman
2. Anthony Edwards
3. LaMelo Ball
4. Tyrese Haliburton
5. Killian Hayes
6. Deni Avdija
7. Isaac Okoro
8. Onyeka Okongwu
9. Obi Toppin
10. Aaron Nesmith
11. Theo Maledon
12. Devin Vassell
13. Tyrese Maxey
14. Cole Anthony
15. Kira Lewis Jr. PG
ALABAMA • SOPH • 6'3" / 165 LBS

Orlando should consider a point guard in this draft regardless of how the future of Markelle Fultz turns out, and so here I'm giving them Kira Lewis Jr. Magic fans: You are welcome. You just got the fastest and most underrated point guard in this draft at No. 15 overall. He averaged 18.5 points and 5.2 assists last season for Alabama ... and just turned 19 in April. The sky is the limit for him. He has an incredible pull-up game, plays with breakneck pace and loves attacking. Just wait until he figures out how to change gears outside turbo speed.

https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/2020-nba-mock-draft-james-wiseman-too-good-to-pass-up-at-no-1-tyrese-haliburton-jumps-into-top-five/
PrimeThyme
RealGM
And1: 14,374

Post#764 » by PrimeThyme » Tue Jul 21, 2020 5:14 am

Of all the guards in this draft, I have to say that Lewis has piqued my interest the most. Hard not to see Fox flashes when watching him. I don't think he has quite the same quickness as Fox, but he's also a much more developed shooter at this stage and his FT% and the volume of 3 pointers he took per game gives me confidence that it will carry over.

He has pretty decent size and length as well and could prove to be a combo guard at the next level who could play some minutes next to Fultz at SG. Not only is his pullup game and catch and shoot game better than expected as well, but he's an excellent slasher cutting to the rim with how quick he is.

I've been diving into a lot of his highlights and if he is there at our pick it would be hard to pass him up imo. He seems like he'd be a locked and loaded top 10 guy in this draft but I'm surprised to see him consistently go in the late lottery in most mocks.

It's hard for me to understand how a player with his skillset and size isn't more coveted than an inefficient guard like Cole Anthony.
Ducklett
Head Coach
And1: 4,986

Post#765 » by Ducklett » Tue Jul 21, 2020 5:23 am

PrimeThyme wrote:Hard not to see Fox flashes .

The Effect

Post#766 » by The Effect » Tue Jul 21, 2020 11:19 pm

Just curious, how would people feel if the magic traded their pick?

Like say trade the pick and a player (for cap reasons) for a proven wing like Oubre? or a high potential, unproven young player like Lonnie Walker? Or even trade AG+our 1st for a top 5 pick etc
Knightro
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic

Post#767 » by Knightro » Wed Jul 22, 2020 12:58 am

The Effect wrote:Just curious, how would people feel if the magic traded their pick?

Like say trade the pick and a player (for cap reasons) for a proven wing like Oubre? or a high potential, unproven young player like Lonnie Walker? Or even trade AG+our 1st for a top 5 pick etc

I am completely fine trading away this year's first round pick if it makes the team better in the long run.

To the three ideas you mentioned specifically...

In order to make salaries work with Phoenix, it would have to be Gordon and 16 for Oubre and 10 or something like Aminu, Ennis or Birch and 16 for Oubre. Ultimately I would pass on giving up a mid first for Oubre. I would rather have a cost-controlled player for five years than have to extend Oubre at 15+ million per year or more.

16 for Lonnie Walker IV is interesting, but in order to make that deal the Magic would have to be completely convinced Walker's a better player than the crop of players they'll be in position to grab at 16. Is Walker better than Josh Green or RJ Hampton or Theo Maledon? I'm not convinced he is.

Using AG and 16 to move up interests me the most of everything you mentioned. I would be very interested to come away with one of Ball, Haliburton, Edwards or Hayes. The problem is finding a team who wants Gordon and would be willing to give up a top 7 pick to get him. I'm struggling to find a reasonable fit there.
Skybox
RealGM
And1: 5,616

Post#768 » by Skybox » Wed Jul 22, 2020 1:56 am

I'd definitely move the pick for Lonnie Walker. I'm not that excited about the Oubre proposal though...he'd be another medium to good talent on a medium to good contract. We've already got too many of those...we need to package some dimes and get ourselves a quarter. I'd be perfectly happy to include our pick in a package for a scorer, especially with Okeke on the way.
MartinsIzAfraud
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,116

Post#769 » by MartinsIzAfraud » Wed Jul 22, 2020 2:19 am

Skybox wrote:I'd definitely move the pick for Lonnie Walker. I'm not that excited about the Oubre proposal though...he'd be another medium to good talent on a medium to good contract. We've already got too many of those...we need to package some dimes and get ourselves a quarter. I'd be perfectly happy to include our pick in a package for a scorer, especially with Okeke on the way.

Walker looks like he belongs in the G League. If we trade 15 for him then rofl.
A scoring guard.. never heard of one. :roll:
Bensational
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 12,402

Post#770 » by Bensational » Wed Jul 22, 2020 8:08 am

I don't have any targets at the top of the draft that I would feel more confident about than anyone available in our range. LaMelo is probably the most gifted.

But I'd still put Kira or Nesmith or Maxey up in contention with the rest for potential to be good on the next level. In which case, may as well save Gordon for another trade, or to keep playing for the team.
Skin
RealGM
And1: 8,636

Post#771 » by Skin » Wed Jul 22, 2020 8:22 am

What would it take to get in range for Anthony Edwards?
Jett Howard, Franz Wagner, Paolo Banchero, Jonathan Isaac, Wendell Carter Jr
Anthony Black, Cole Anthony, Jalen Suggs, Joe Ingles, Chuma Okeke, Mo Wagner, Goga Bitadze LESSSGOOO!!!
Tarheel
Sixth Man
And1: 767

Post#772 » by Tarheel » Wed Jul 22, 2020 9:11 am

I think there might be legs in AG to GSW for their pick.

My preferred structure is a three team trade involving Phoenix where we net GSW's pick and Oubre for AG and #15.

Orl out: AG, #15
Orl in: GSW pick, Oubre

Pho out: Oubre
Pho in: GSW TPE, #15

GSW out: GSW pick, TPE
GSW in: AG

Depending on where GSW's pick lands, Edwards, Hayes or Ball + Oubre is a good haul for us IMO.
jezzerinho
Starter
And1: 1,506

Post#773 » by jezzerinho » Wed Jul 22, 2020 10:18 am

Bensational wrote:I don't have any targets at the top of the draft that I would feel more confident about than anyone available in our range. LaMelo is probably the most gifted.

But I'd still put Kira or Nesmith or Maxey up in contention with the rest for potential to be good on the next level. In which case, may as well save Gordon for another trade, or to keep playing for the team.

It's a really interesting one this year and not just because of Covid disruption. There are a plethora of guys who - if they can improve just one facet - look to be at least good starters in the league. That puts the chances of there being a number of All Stars in here higher. But equally, if these guys turn out to be who they are now or they land in a spot where they don't get the help they need, it could be a poor draft in retrospect.
basketballRob
RealGM
And1: 10,715

Post#774 » by basketballRob » Wed Jul 22, 2020 10:19 am

Minnesota fans really want AG and they have James Johnson and a high pick.

I wouldn't mind Schroder either.

Sent from my SM-G950U using RealGM mobile app
Knightro
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic

Post#775 » by Knightro » Wed Jul 22, 2020 12:49 pm

Bensational wrote:I don't have any targets at the top of the draft that I would feel more confident about than anyone available in our range. LaMelo is probably the most gifted.

This is a fascinating look at things.

Is the first tier of guards/wings - guys like Ball, Edwards, Haliburton and Hayes - so much better than the second tier - Maxey, Lewis, Anthony, Hampton, Ramsey, Terry, Maledon, Nesmith and Green that they're worth sacrificing Gordon?

It all depends on how much upside you think those guys in the first tier have. If you're pretty confident they can become all-stars, then it's probably worth doing especially with Okeke and Aminu both returning next year to soak up forward minutes.

But maybe Aaron Gordon has turned a corner and found his ideal role as a secondary playmaker? The last 11 games he played before COVID were arguably the best of his career.

37.6 MPG, .486 FG%, .342 3PT%, .745 FT%, 9.1 RPG, 6.7 APG, 1.2 SPG, 1.3 BPG, 1.9 TOPG, 2.0 PF, 17.3 PPG

And the Magic went 8-3 and AG was a +54 in those 11 games.
KillMonger
RealGM
And1: 10,007

Post#776 » by KillMonger » Wed Jul 22, 2020 2:45 pm

Tarheel wrote:I think there might be legs in AG to GSW for their pick.

My preferred structure is a three team trade involving Phoenix where we net GSW's pick and Oubre for AG and #15.

Depending on where GSW's pick lands, Edwards, Hayes or Ball + Oubre is a good haul for us IMO.

oubre? you do know he's coming off knee surgery right?
The Effect

Post#777 » by The Effect » Wed Jul 22, 2020 4:25 pm

KillMonger wrote:
Tarheel wrote:I think there might be legs in AG to GSW for their pick.

oubre? you do know he's coming off knee surgery right?

And? its not as if the guy we drafted at #16 overall last year wasnt coming off a knee injury

Not sure why so many hate on Oubre, but the guy he has literally improve his Pts\reb\ass\stl\blk every single year and this past year was a 19\6\2 player as the 3rd option on a bubble team in the west (only 4 games behind our record) while shooting good %, and to top it off, hes only 24. Not sure what people are expecting in our 1st rounder, but if you look at the 16-30 draft picks lately...

Justin Patton
D. J. Wilson
T. J. Leaf
John Collins
Harry Giles
Terrance Ferguson
Jarrett Allen
OG Anunoby
Tyler Lydon
Anžejs Pasečņiks
Caleb Swanigan
Kyle Kuzma
Tony Bradley
Derrick White
Josh Hart
Omari Spellman

Zhaire Smith
Donte DiVincenzo
Lonnie Walker
Kevin Huerter
Josh Okogie
Grayson Allen
Chandler Hutchison
Aaron Holiday
Anfernee Simons
Moritz Wagner
Landry Shamet
Robert Williams
Jacob Evans
Džanan Musa
Omari Spellman

Chuma Okeke
Nickeil Alexander-Walker
Goga Bitadze
Luka Šamanić
Matisse Thybulle
Brandon Clarke
Grant Williams
Darius Bazley
Ty Jerome
Nassir Little
Dylan Windler#
Mfiondu Kabengele
Jordan Poole
Keldon Johnson
Kevin Porter Jr.

I mean looking at that, theres maybe a handful of guys on those lists id take over Oubre
tiderulz
RealGM
And1: 14,104

Post#778 » by tiderulz » Wed Jul 22, 2020 6:09 pm

Ducklett wrote:
PrimeThyme wrote:Hard not to see Fox flashes .

tiderulz
RealGM

Post#779 » by tiderulz » Wed Jul 22, 2020 6:11 pm

PrimeThyme wrote:Of all the guards in this draft, I have to say that Lewis has piqued my interest the most. Hard not to see Fox flashes when watching him. I don't think he has quite the same quickness as Fox, but he's also a much more developed shooter at this stage and his FT% and the volume of 3 pointers he took per game gives me confidence that it will carry over.

He has pretty decent size and length as well and could prove to be a combo guard at the next level who could play some minutes next to Fultz at SG. Not only is his pullup game and catch and shoot game better than expected as well, but he's an excellent slasher cutting to the rim with how quick he is.

I've been diving into a lot of his highlights and if he is there at our pick it would be hard to pass him up imo. He seems like he'd be a locked and loaded top 10 guy in this draft but I'm surprised to see him consistently go in the late lottery in most mocks.

It's hard for me to understand how a player with his skillset and size isn't more coveted than an inefficient guard like Cole Anthony.

well, at 6'3, most people will see him only as a PG. and no one see's Bama as produces great talent lately, excepting for Sexton. He also has a quiet, workman-like demeanor so he slides under the radar
tiderulz
RealGM

Post#780 » by tiderulz » Wed Jul 22, 2020 6:13 pm

The Effect wrote:Just curious, how would people feel if the magic traded their pick?

Oubre is expiring, so that could be trading away a 1st rounder player for 1 season of him. not the end of the world, but a little bad asset management. but i wouldnt be against using it to improve the team

Return to Orlando Magic