ImageImageImageImage

Breaking up Buddy Ball

If we break up the Vuc/Fournier tandem, what outcome would you like to see?

Trade Fournier, Keep Vuc. Rinse repeat with a new guard.
30%
Trade Vuc, Keep Fournier. Hope to see 'injured-Vuc' Fournier full time.
12%
Trade both
58%

Total votes: 50

Bensational
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 12,402

Breaking up Buddy Ball 

Post#1 » by Bensational » Sat Jan 25, 2020 4:53 am

In the hypothetical event that WeHam ever chooses to split up the Vucevic-Fournier duo, what kind of outcome would you like to see?

Trade Fournier, Keep Vuc? Hope whoever we end up getting at SG is Beal level at the very least (in the long run).

Trade Vuc, Keep Fournier? In this case, we go back to running a more perimeter oriented offense when Fournier was scoring 24ppg on crazy efficiency. Fultz/Fournier, and a good PnR big from the Vuc trade. Gordon and Isaac scoring where they can).

Trade them both. Go a completely new direction. Try to find the right SG to fit a core of Fultz/Gordon/Isaac/Bamba.
Rainwater
General Manager
And1: 5,587

Re: Breaking up Buddy Ball 

Post#2 » by Rainwater » Sat Jan 25, 2020 5:07 am

Trade AG, Vuc, Ross, and Evan for young talent and let the pups play.
The Real Dalic
RealGM
And1: 7,066

Post#3 » by The Real Dalic » Sat Jan 25, 2020 5:51 am

I would like to trade both and AG and DJ. But trading Vuc isn't realistic at this point. So I said trade Fournier and keep Vuc.

All I know is that we need guys who are much more consistent in terms of scoring, or at least someone who could give better defensive effort and better and more willing passing when things aren't going his way.

If Fournier's shot isn't falling, he just isn't providing anything at all. We need to move on from him and give the ball to Fultz and Isaac as well as whoever we replace him/them with. Can't keep being this mediocre and being satisfied with it.
God. Family. Country. Basketball.
MagicMatic
RealGM
And1: 12,923

Post#4 » by MagicMatic » Sat Jan 25, 2020 6:37 am

What I would like to see?

Trade everyone Hennigan brought in. Create a fun atmosphere with young guys like Memphis and Nola are doing currently. Even if they traded AG or Vuc it would be a step. I wouldn’t even care about the W/L if it meant they were improving.

What will happen?

Likely nothing...

This product isn’t watchable, isn’t effective, and will still miss out on talent because they are determined to get swept in the first round.
Max Power
Head Coach
And1: 1,204

Post#5 » by Max Power » Sat Jan 25, 2020 7:03 am

I’d say keep Vuc, trade AG and Fournier. I like T-Ross for now but his chucking has gotten under my skin admittedly.

Fournier having a good year doesn’t mean much. It’s a contract year and we’ve already paid this dude 80 mill to dribble around and look for his own shot for like 5 years. It’s time to get some more sure handed guard play on this team.

Vuc is a pretty good team player, we play through him offensively because the rest of the team falls short of the ability to be that guy. I can’t stand how this board makes him the fall guy for everything. 20 and 10 centers don’t fall on trees but you guys want to trade him for Dwayne Dedmon?

Granted, something needs to change. This roster has maxed out its potential I think as a low seed playoff team. From where we were 3 years ago, I’ll take it but I agree with the sentiment that’s it’s time to make an advancing step towards contendership and a Fournier/Vuc/Gordon big 3 won’t be getting us there.
You look confused...let me fill you in.
pepe1991
RealGM
And1: 16,288

Post#6 » by pepe1991 » Sat Jan 25, 2020 7:21 am

it's pretty clear in what order Magic should make trades:
Evan -due free agency status
Gordon -due inability to improve as player for last 3 years, being complete liability on offense this year.

Vučević
Magic won't trade Vučević for few reasons. First of all because of his experience, gravity and value as player. Second because of Clifford.
Third because trading him away will expose their 2018 draft mistake who can't play starters min.
And for last, because of Fultz. Fultz won't develop if he has to play with somebody as terrible as Bamba is at setting screens, rolling,or god forbid- dribble-handoffs.
Life is what happens when you're busy making other plans. -John Lennon
deggett
Sophomore
And1: 75

Post#7 » by deggett » Sat Jan 25, 2020 9:39 am

Keep both. Trade Fultz and Gordon. We doing same mistake that we did with Elfrid - build around PG that can't shoot. We traded Oladipo to have better fit with EP. Now we doing same mistake, same excuses ("we need better shooters around him", "we need to run more", "he can get wherever he wants on the floor", "in last 3 games he is 35% from 3", "he is so crafty with the ball in his hands" ...).
How long until we recognize, that you can't build around PG that can't shoot? Another 4 years?
fendilim
RealGM
And1: 5,017

Post#8 » by fendilim » Sat Jan 25, 2020 10:26 am

Trade Gordon for a missing piece. This makes the most sense. So much duplication with him and Isaac. And Isaac has shown to be a MORE elite defensive player.

Fultz will eventually grow into that first option role. Its gonna happen. But there’s no way it happens this year, especially not knowing if he can play a full season. Maybe next yr or after that.

I’d consider trading Gordon and Bamba tbh.

Not overly concern about Fournier’s status, i dont think there will be a lot of teams with cap space this year as almost all are saving for 2021.
basketballRob
RealGM
And1: 10,715

Post#9 » by basketballRob » Sat Jan 25, 2020 10:39 am

I say trade them both to get younger and more athletic.

Sent from my SM-G950U using RealGM mobile app
SOUL
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 37,554

Post#10 » by SOUL » Sat Jan 25, 2020 11:15 am

fendilim wrote:Trade Gordon for a missing piece. This makes the most sense. So much duplication with him and Isaac. And Isaac has shown to be a MORE elite defensive player.

Fultz will eventually grow into that first option role. Its gonna happen. But there’s no way it happens this year, especially not knowing if he can play a full season. Maybe next yr or after that.

Not overly concern about Fournier’s status, i dont think there will be a lot of teams with cap space this year as almost all are saving for 2021.

Status quo?
TheChaser
Analyst
And1: 482

Post#11 » by TheChaser » Sat Jan 25, 2020 11:26 am

basketballRob wrote:I say trade them both to get younger and more athletic.

Sent from my SM-G950U using RealGM mobile app

I like this, but definitely trade Evan just due to the simple fact that we played so fluidly without him in that win a few games back.
maginno wrote:There is nothing wrong with this team that putting a few unloaded guns in Carter's gym bag will not solve.
fendilim
RealGM
And1: 5,017

Post#12 » by fendilim » Sat Jan 25, 2020 11:59 am

SOUL wrote:
fendilim wrote:Trade Gordon for a missing piece. This makes the most sense. So much duplication with him and Isaac. And Isaac has shown to be a MORE elite defensive player.

Status quo?

I dont think he’ll get paid like max.
Skybox
RealGM
And1: 5,623

Post#13 » by Skybox » Sat Jan 25, 2020 12:10 pm

I don't know how much you could expect to get for an expiring Evan. If we were to trade Vuc for a creator/leader, I could see Fournier doing better playing off of a superior offensive player, instead of forcing or feeling like he has to force bad shots. He can definitely shoot and that shouldn't be undervalued.

I think the Buddy Ball narrative is over played...if somebody else on this team could score reliably, Clifford wouldn't let it reign. As excited as I get for Fultz/Harden every 5th game -it's still fantasy...Trade everyone but Isaac for Beal.
J-Mezzy
RealGM
And1: 3,218

Post#14 » by J-Mezzy » Sat Jan 25, 2020 12:44 pm

Yeah i hate Evan some games but he is our only reliable scorer.

He is not the problem
Thank you triplemke23 for the sig.
j-ragg
RealGM
And1: 11,652

Post#15 » by j-ragg » Sat Jan 25, 2020 2:20 pm

The type of player Evan is (at his best) is more valuable than the type of player Vuc is (at his best) imo. But at the same time we have a backup that can do pretty close to what Evan can do. Our backup for Vuc shows up 1 of every 10 games.

Ideally I'd like them both gone but think I'd rather deal Vuc as of now. Let them sink or swim on offense.
BadMofoPimp wrote:Durant thinks Vooch is one of the Best Centers in the NBA. I will take his word over a couch-GM yelling at a TV.
drsd
RealGM
And1: 7,916

Post#16 » by drsd » Sat Jan 25, 2020 3:16 pm

a) the lack of an option on Orlando NOT trading its two best players is striking. But I guess this is a what-if thought line.

b) Vučević is nearly untradeable. Fournier: well his FA status and the expectation he will command north of 4 / 80M causes some pause.
Bensational
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 12,402

Post#17 » by Bensational » Sat Jan 25, 2020 6:53 pm

I'd like to see Vuc moved first and foremost. It's the move that will cause the most disruption and push others to step up in his wake (including Cliff in updating his offensive game plan).

Although I'm mindful of contract year greatness, Fournier is still scoring a remarkable 19ppg on 14fgas. I'd like to see him taking anywhere from 17-19 a game, with Fultz taking a similar number of shots.

But in the end, I still only see Fournier as a Bogdanovic kind of player. A great depth piece who can be one of your lead scorers, but not somebody cut out to being the face of a franchise. So zeroing in on Fournier long term would require confidence in Fultz's ability to develop into that star. So I wouldn't be unhappy if we traded Fournier for someone with more long term contractual security, too.
tiderulz
RealGM
And1: 14,107

Post#18 » by tiderulz » Sat Jan 25, 2020 7:15 pm

The Real Dalic wrote:I would like to trade both and AG and DJ. But trading Vuc isn't realistic at this point. So I said trade Fournier and keep Vuc.

All I know is that we need guys who are much more consistent in terms of scoring, or at least someone who could give better defensive effort and better and more willing passing when things aren't going his way.

If Fournier's shot isn't falling, he just isn't providing anything at all. We need to move on from him and give the ball to Fultz and Isaac as well as whoever we replace him/them with. Can't keep being this mediocre and being satisfied with it.

except passing.
tiderulz
RealGM
And1: 14,107

Post#19 » by tiderulz » Sat Jan 25, 2020 7:17 pm

Skybox wrote:I don't know how much you could expect to get for an expiring Evan. If we were to trade Vuc for a creator/leader, I could see Fournier doing better playing off of a superior offensive player, instead of forcing or feeling like he has to force bad shots. He can definitely shoot and that shouldn't be undervalued.

I think the Buddy Ball narrative is over played...if somebody else on this team could score reliably, Clifford wouldn't let it reign. As excited as I get for Fultz/Harden every 5th game -it's still fantasy...Trade everyone but Isaac for Beal.

i think that is what people dont seem to understand. A coach is paid to win. he is using the best tools available. If he doesnt win, he is fired. of course he is going to lean on the veterans
drsd
RealGM
And1: 7,916

Post#20 » by drsd » Sat Jan 25, 2020 7:26 pm

tiderulz wrote:i think that is what people dont seem to understand. A coach is paid to win. he is using the best tools available. If he doesnt win, he is fired. of course he is going to lean on the veterans

And-1

And to add, it will be Coach Clifford's voice to improve the team via trades for THIS season. He cannot think of any season bu this one. That's not his job.

Return to Orlando Magic