ImageImageImageImage

Breaking up Buddy Ball

Moderators: Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL, UCF

If we break up the Vuc/Fournier tandem, what outcome would you like to see?

Trade Fournier, Keep Vuc. Rinse repeat with a new guard.
30%
Trade Vuc, Keep Fournier. Hope to see 'injured-Vuc' Fournier full time.
12%
Trade both
58%

Total votes: 50

pepe1991
RealGM
And1: 16,282

Re: Breaking up Buddy Ball 

Post#121 » by pepe1991 » Sun Feb 2, 2020 10:01 am

GelbeWand09 wrote:
pepe1991 wrote:
j-ragg wrote:I know you like to troll the Euro fans on here a lot but I think Fournier could be a 3rd option starter on a team like the Lakers. He'd get exposed defensively but would bring them something off the dribble they don't really have at that spot. I don't think Vuc could be a starter on a contender team though. Requires too much usage and doesn't provide enough with it. Maybe a Kanter like role if it ever happens would be good.

Contenders starting Cs:
Ivica Zubac
Javale Mcgee
Brook Lopez
Daniel Theis

those are best 4 teams in nba and true contenders with most objective chances to win it all

Spoiler alert, non of them is better than Vučević.

Vučević would have no issue contributing on great team, he would have lot of missmatches and post assists and screen assists. Despite having crappy point guards whole his career he is still one of best screen assist guys in whole league. But hey, haters gonna hate. Trolls gonna troll..

Evan is pretty much same type of player Tobias Harris is.

Kanter is elite offensive big that can't defend to save his life. Vučević is still one of better Magic defenders.

Non of this is really debatable, and all of it is factual. Vučević is only Magic player since Dwight who can have " crappy 18 ppg, 12 rpg, 3 apg -23 PER " season. When somebody else puts that stats ( and is probably from 'Murica ) this place will bust their nuts on him on regular bases.

He woudnt start in Boston & i'm not sure he fits what the Lakers wanna do too. Theis is a worlds better defender than Vuc. Most important is, he's a much much much much more mobile defender, which is so important for Bostons defensive schemes.

But reality is no contender would trade for him on that contract. He isnt good enough for the money he makes for a contender. Contender doesnt have money & there money is invested in real difference makers. Sure Vuc would make some of them better when those teams have unlimited capspace, but this isnt the case. His player type on that contract isnt something contenders need. Low eff. offensive Centers with mediocre defense on 25 Mio isnt a building block for a championship. The Center position isnt valued really high in general, they fill it with cheap but effective role players. Vuc is the anti thesis of a Contending team player tbh. On half the money he would be highly valued by those teams, but not on his current. So it doesnt matter if he is better than Lopez & co, when those players only earn 20-50% of his money.
Just as a example. Vuc is better than Lopez but he would play almost the same role there but for double the money for a slight upgrade. Thats not a winning formula.

Obviously don't agree about first paragraph about Thies.
Already elaborated why " too expensive for contenders" isn't true in post in previous page.
Already pointed out and named players who make s*** loud of money and don't contribute much to their teams.

So i won't repeat myself. Those are fan-myths to talk down on Magic best player, not facts and pretty biased opinions.
Same fan myths that in 2017 that were exited about Ibaka and Biyombo "because of rim protection". Called both moves idiotic on spot. Both players, just like it's case with starting Celtics C scrub, were in perfect positions on teams that had s*** loud of talent around them and where they did not need to do anything outside of their comfort zone. In Ibaka's case it was 3 layups (dunks), 7 shots around 15 feeet, for Biyombo it was point blank dunks , twice a game.

Reaching point where fanbase is acting like some Celtics 27 years old scrub is better defender than Vučević "because he is more mobile" is actually pretty sad.
Same Celtics structure over time made guys like Jae Crowder, Bradley, Amir Johnson, Jonas Jerebko, Greg Monroe look like great role players. Spoiler alert: non of them actually was good. Just played within the role they were told and excelled at it. And as everything else, i already elaborated why playing with good team, with structure it's way easier than playing on team that does not have superior talent around, so once again, i won't repeat myself. Everything was already told.

Lopez isn't slightly but much worst player than vučević. You probably don't pay attention (neither did I until i did research) but Lopez is having worst season of his nba career. He is actually huge liability on offense this year. Has negative ORPM on team that will win 65 games. That's almost unheard of.

If you didn't brought Daniel Theis i wouldn't even reply. But f*** Daniel Theis as good defender? My God.
Brose Bamberg backup for my countryman Leon Radosevic in 2017 on team that was 4th worst team in Euroleage. Give me a f*** break. I saw that man play basketball way before NBA , if he is on 29 other teams he would be alerady in China.

BUT on team that has 4 potential allstars lined up in front of him , it doesn't matter who center is. Could have been Kevin Mchale,Bill Russell, your dog, my cat, your grandmom... irrelevant.
Life is what happens when you're busy making other plans. -John Lennon
basketballRob
RealGM
And1: 10,713

Post#122 » by basketballRob » Sun Feb 2, 2020 10:57 am

Lopez is so much better than Vuc on defense. I'd take him over Vuc and he makes way less.

Sent from my SM-G950U using RealGM mobile app
fateis007
Rookie
And1: 820

Post#123 » by fateis007 » Sun Feb 2, 2020 2:29 pm

I really hope we make a trade. This brand of basketball is the worst ive seen in years. Watching Vuc/Fournier run the pick and roll half the game has taken a few years off my life. And apparently T-Ross has the green light all year to never drive to the hole and jack up contested 3's all year long. He has shot us out of like 10 games. The guy has shot like 1 free throw all year. Then we have AG, probably are most inconsistent scoring threat. Ever year he has been putting in crazy hours on his game in the off season to develop his offense, but i keep seeing the same version we have always had, if not worse lately.

I am just sick of it, the games aren't even fun to watch anymore. This is probably the last entertaining/creative/aggressive offense we have ever had. I miss the glory days when we had SVG and an exciting offense and servicable defense.
MagicMatic
RealGM
And1: 12,922

Post#124 » by MagicMatic » Sun Feb 2, 2020 3:56 pm

Love to see these poll results.
j-ragg
RealGM
And1: 11,652

Post#125 » by j-ragg » Sun Feb 2, 2020 4:07 pm

fateis007 wrote:I am just sick of it, the games aren't even fun to watch anymore. This is probably the last entertaining/creative/aggressive offense we have ever had. I miss the glory days when we had SVG and an exciting offense and servicable defense.

Yup. Not even about what players I like versus what players you like anymore. That was fun when we had a lot of pieces (that just weren't good yet). I don't care anymore I just want something to change with this boring franchise.
BadMofoPimp wrote:Durant thinks Vooch is one of the Best Centers in the NBA. I will take his word over a couch-GM yelling at a TV.
Skin
RealGM
And1: 8,636

Post#126 » by Skin » Sun Feb 2, 2020 8:49 pm

pepe1991 wrote:
Skin wrote:
pepe1991 wrote:
LIke it was in past? Remembering all the times when Magic had salary to sign all the amazing free agents they signed in past like....
wait. There are 2 and half. In 30 years of history.

Grant Hill, who they signed after he got injuried and was pretty much done fo good.

Horace Grant, who was allstar by accident. Selected in peak of Bulls popularity, in year when Jordan was retied ,Barkley and Morning hurt.

Rashard Lewis. To get him, Magic had to make him second higest basketball player on planet Earth.

This team never attracted free agents. Biggest free agency name in history was Tracy McGrady who was 15 ppg player prior singing. Was young and talented but nowhere near star. Also as soon as his contract was up, left.
In mean time Magic showed zero ability to retain their own stars so best player in Magic's history escaped because ownership was joke and tried to low-blow already one of the best players in basketball. In times when Morning and Juwan Howard were offerd 7 years contracts ( worth over $100M ) Magic offered Shaq.... $13M a year.

Ofc guy got upset and took first flight out of that place. Team never recoverd from that blow.

If you wanna use the past as an indicator of the future then the last 2 times the Magic made it to the Finals, we were lead by stars who we drafted with the #1 pick.

But you don't like tanking so you probably don't like hearing that.

And two stars who were centers.

Btw why Allen Iverson, Vince Carter, Anthony Davis, Kobe Bryant and many , many many other hall of fame level players never lured another superstar to their team? Weren't good enough, according to your logic.

Yeah, both Dominant Centers of their times. Davis was a good mention, so kudos there, but again Vuc is not that kind of Center. Terrible proving point.

Players didn't attempt to form super teams in the past like they do now sooooo...

In any case, I agree with you that the league is weird. I honestly think that teams who can be at the forefront of basketball innovation and be able to gain advantage in mismatches can put themselves in a position to succeed. I've always been against the train of thought that you "have to" put a round peg in a round hole. If you can create a mismatch and mask the weakness in another way then I believe it's worthy of experimentation. Our combination of players and skillsets are terrible. I don't know why you love this product.
Jett Howard, Franz Wagner, Paolo Banchero, Jonathan Isaac, Wendell Carter Jr
Anthony Black, Cole Anthony, Jalen Suggs, Joe Ingles, Chuma Okeke, Mo Wagner, Goga Bitadze LESSSGOOO!!!
Bensational
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 12,402

Post#127 » by Bensational » Sun Feb 2, 2020 9:18 pm

Let's compile a list of names of players who are/might be available, players we would like (within reason), and hidden gems, and indicate who we think might have star potential.

Are/Maybe Available
D'Lo
CJ
JRue
DeRozan
Westbrook
Marcus Morris Sr
Rose
Kennard
Bogdanovic

Would Like
Beal
Hield
LaVine

'Hidden Gems'
Simons
Beasley
Powell - how would he go as a starting a lead option? He's putting up great numbers on that Toronto bench.
NAW

Who else should go on this list, and who are your top 3 preferences amongst all of them, and what will it cost us?
Popsicle1228
Junior
And1: 326

Post#128 » by Popsicle1228 » Sun Feb 2, 2020 9:48 pm

pepe1991 wrote:
Skin wrote:
pepe1991 wrote:
ha- ha

Magic hottest FA in years was Bismack Biyombo.
2015 Magic try to sign Millsap in free agency- he declines, stays with Hawks.
2017 Magic promise Millsap max contract if they trade for him- they end up with Serge Ibaka. In fear of him LEAVING for nothing, they traded for Terrence Ross.

Get real. Magic won't sing superstar in free agency any time soon. They signed 1 in whole team's history by overpaying "B" level star and making him highest payed player that season .

In mean time guys like Green, Biyombo, Aminu are closest thing to "big names" they got.

That's because nobody wants to join Vuc and Fournier.

If we had young studs from the draft and a whole bunch of cap, then it would be a different story. If Fultz and Isaac continue to grow and we have huge cap space then I could easily see us getting somewhere in FA.

LIke it was in past? Remembering all the times when Magic had salary to sign all the amazing free agents they signed in past like....
wait. There are 2 and half. In 30 years of history.

Grant Hill, who they signed after he got injuried and was pretty much done fo good.

Horace Grant, who was allstar by accident. Selected in peak of Bulls popularity, in year when Jordan was retied ,Barkley and Morning hurt.

Rashard Lewis. To get him, Magic had to make him second higest basketball player on planet Earth.

This team never attracted free agents. Biggest free agency name in history was Tracy McGrady who was 15 ppg player prior singing. Was young and talented but nowhere near star. Also as soon as his contract was up, left.
In mean time Magic showed zero ability to retain their own stars so best player in Magic's history escaped because ownership was joke and tried to low-blow already one of the best players in basketball. In times when Morning and Juwan Howard were offerd 7 years contracts ( worth over $100M ) Magic offered Shaq.... $13M a year.

Ofc guy got upset and took first flight out of that place. Team never recoverd from that blow.

I agree with your overall premise that the Magic are not likely to attract star free agents. However, to be fair, Grant Hill was considered a top 5 NBA player at the time and nobody knew that the injury was going to impact him the way it did. The league and fans assumed Grant Hill's best years were still ahead of him.

On the flip side, and to your point, nobody knew that Tracy would blow up the way he did. Also, I have first hand knowledge that playing for his hometown team and being a massive Penny Hardaway fan was part of the appeal when Tracy signed with the Magic. I have my doubts that he would have signed with the Magic had he not grown up in a small town an approximate 45 minute drive from Amway/Orlando Arena.

If we only could have secured Tim Duncan who is one of the best players in NBA history. The Magic obviously could not close the deal, but I always wonder what our future would have been like. SMH
Skybox
RealGM
And1: 5,615

Post#129 » by Skybox » Sun Feb 2, 2020 10:59 pm

Bensational wrote:Let's compile a list of names of players who are/might be available, players we would like (within reason), and hidden gems, and indicate who we think might have star potential.

Are/Maybe Available
D'Lo
CJ
JRue
DeRozan
Westbrook
Marcus Morris Sr
Rose
Kennard
Bogdanovic

Would Like
Beal
Hield
LaVine

'Hidden Gems'
Simons
Beasley
Powell - how would he go as a starting a lead option? He's putting up great numbers on that Toronto bench.
NAW

Who else should go on this list, and who are your top 3 preferences amongst all of them, and what will it cost us?

Interesting article recently listing quiet moves that could be done cheaply to give us an offensive boost...
Denzel Valentine -Chi
Ben McLemore - Hou
Wayne Ellington - NY
all have done well in the past and, for whatever reason, have fallen out of favor/rotation in their present locales. This can't be the BIG move but when I look at the modern NBA, having a bench full of shooters is critical, and could be done quietly while we work on the bigger pieces to the puzzle. Vuc down low or AG penetrating or, especially, Fultz would look very different if they didn't run into a crowd in the paint.
SD2042
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
And1: 2,413

Post#130 » by SD2042 » Mon Feb 3, 2020 3:32 am

The players I would keep:

Fultz: he's in his first full year as a player. He's in full development mode as he's working out his kinks. They will not be an easy fix. My expectations are that he will continue to work on his game to get better in the long run. I will taper off the expectations about the All-Star potential until I see what improvements he brings to his skills set within the next season.

JI- Until the injury, JI was showing some sense of improvement in parts of his game. Certainly around the defensive end. His offensive game was coming around pretty solid until his injury took place. He has supplant AG as the PF for the future in my view. I look forward to see JI to develop his game and become better when he returns from injury in the future.

Mo- I know there are many Mo detractors on the board based on what Mo has produce so far. Mo is a player I'm willing to hold out some faith to develop his game overall to get better as a player. Mo is a project. As such, Mo must continue to put in work in order for the Magic's belief in him was worth his draft selection in the first place.

Vuc- I'm on the side to keep Vuc because of what he brings to the floor from offense, rebounds, to a mediocre degree.... defensively. Plus Mo is far from ready to take over from Vuc right now. Vuc is as close to a consistent complimentary player the Magic have right now.
SD2042
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
Senior Mod - Grizzlies

Post#131 » by SD2042 » Mon Feb 3, 2020 2:01 pm

Skybox wrote:
Bensational wrote:Let's compile a list of names of players who are/might be available, players we would like (within reason), and hidden gems, and indicate who we think might have star potential.

Are/Maybe Available
D'Lo
CJ
JRue
DeRozan
Westbrook
Marcus Morris Sr
Rose
Kennard
Bogdanovic

Would Like
Beal
Hield
LaVine

'Hidden Gems'
Simons
Beasley
NAW

Interesting article recently listing quiet moves that could be done cheaply to give us an offensive boost...
Denzel Valentine -Chi
Ben McLemore - Hou
Wayne Ellington - NY
all have done well in the past and, for whatever reason, have fallen out of favor/rotation in their present locales. This can't be the BIG move but when I look at the modern NBA, having a bench full of shooters is critical, and could be done quietly while we work on the bigger pieces to the puzzle. Vuc down low or AG penetrating or, especially, Fultz would look very different if they didn't run into a crowd in the paint.

Valentine would make a option to look at for improvements around the offense. Another option I would add to the list is Gary Trent Jr. I like the guy's potential to be a reliable player in the league.
MartinsIzAfraud
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,116

Post#132 » by MartinsIzAfraud » Mon Feb 3, 2020 2:05 pm

SD2042 wrote:
Skybox wrote:

Are/Maybe Available
D'Lo
CJ
JRue
DeRozan
Westbrook
Marcus Morris Sr
Rose
Kennard
Bogdanovic

Would Like
Beal
Hield
LaVine

'Hidden Gems'
Simons
Beasley
NAW

Denzel Valentine -Chi
Ben McLemore - Hou
Wayne Ellington - NY

Valentine would make a option to look at for improvements around the offense. Another option I would add to the list is Gary Trent Jr. I like the guy's potential to be a reliable player in the league.

No idea what GS is looking for but another cheap guy like Robinson III could be had and dude can shoot the ball on 1 year deal.
A scoring guard.. never heard of one. :roll:
SD2042
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
Senior Mod - Grizzlies

Post#133 » by SD2042 » Mon Feb 3, 2020 3:05 pm

MartinsIzAfraud wrote:
SD2042 wrote:
Skybox wrote:
Denzel Valentine -Chi
Ben McLemore - Hou
Wayne Ellington - NY

No idea what GS is looking for but another cheap guy like Robinson III could be had and dude can shoot the ball on 1 year deal.

I think the Warriors are looking to trim down their tax bill. Hence the WCS trade from the week before last.
Bensational
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 12,402

Post#134 » by Bensational » Mon Feb 3, 2020 3:13 pm

SD2042 wrote:
MartinsIzAfraud wrote:
SD2042 wrote:

I think the Warriors are looking to trim down their tax bill. Hence the WCS trade from the week before last.

We should take Burks off their hands for them. Very underrated. Could replace Fournier pretty easily, I think. If brought off the bench, he'd challenge Ross as our best bench scoring option.
The Real Dalic
RealGM
And1: 7,064

Post#135 » by The Real Dalic » Mon Feb 3, 2020 3:17 pm

Bensational wrote:
SD2042 wrote:
MartinsIzAfraud wrote:No idea what GS is looking for but another cheap guy like Robinson III could be had and dude can shoot the ball on 1 year deal.

We should take Burks off their hands for them. Very underrated. Could replace Fournier pretty easily, I think. If brought off the bench, he'd challenge Ross as our best bench scoring option.

I love Burks. His only problem throughout his career has been injuries. I would love to bring him in. If we could trade Fournier there for him and GRIII that would be nice.
God. Family. Country. Basketball.
SD2042
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
Senior Mod - Grizzlies

Post#136 » by SD2042 » Mon Feb 3, 2020 3:43 pm

The Real Dalic wrote:
Bensational wrote:
SD2042 wrote:

I love Burks. His only problem throughout his career has been injuries. I would love to bring him in. If we could trade Fournier there for him and GRIII that would be nice.

Warriors would need to add more salary to suggest taking on Fournier.

As for getting Burks:

trade MCW or player with a team option for Burks
Magic to waive a player and trade for Burks that way
BadMofoPimp
RealGM
And1: 11,600

Post#137 » by BadMofoPimp » Tue Feb 4, 2020 1:06 am

GRob III was a super scrub last season and now he is a commodity only because he is putting up stats on arguably the worst team in the league. Dude is horrid on a decent team. And, Fournier >>>>> Burkes/GRob III 10 times out of 10 times.

Provin Ya'll Wrong!!!
basketballRob
RealGM
And1: 10,713

Post#138 » by basketballRob » Tue Feb 4, 2020 1:11 am

BadMofoPimp wrote:GRob III was a super scrub last season and now he is a commodity only because he is putting up stats on arguably the worst team in the league. Dude is horrid on a decent team. And, Fournier >>>>> Burkes/GRob III 10 times out of 10 times.
I think he's the former summer league MVP, like 5 years ago.

BadMofoPimp
RealGM
And1: 11,600

Post#139 » by BadMofoPimp » Tue Feb 4, 2020 1:34 am

basketballRob wrote:
BadMofoPimp wrote:GRob III was a super scrub last season and now he is a commodity only because he is putting up stats on arguably the worst team in the league. Dude is horrid on a decent team. And, Fournier >>>>> Burkes/GRob III 10 times out of 10 times.
I think he's the former summer league MVP, like 5 years ago.

A year ago, he was untradeable, now people think he is a miraculous asset playing on a 11 win team? Just call me skepticle. As long as he is an expiring, he will be a throw in on any deal the Warriors make most likely. 8-)

Provin Ya'll Wrong!!!
gumbyr24
Senior
And1: 443

Post#140 » by gumbyr24 » Tue Feb 4, 2020 4:31 am

Some of you want to keep both?!?
You actually enjoy watching this ****?

Return to Orlando Magic