ImageImageImageImage

When will cliff s seat get hot?

Moderators: Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL, UCF

CZ Eddie
Starter
And1: 725

Re: When will cliff s seat get hot? 

Post#21 » by CZ Eddie » Sat Feb 8, 2020 1:36 am

We need to hire one of the Offensive Coordinators from UCF Football or something.
Have them call the offensive plays. :)
Keep your politics out of my sports
OrlandO
RealGM
And1: 16,421

Post#22 » by OrlandO » Sat Feb 8, 2020 1:52 am

Team's not healthy and management knows they haven't given him enough offense to work with... he'll obviously get at least another season.
thelead
RealGM
And1: 25,499

Post#23 » by thelead » Sat Feb 8, 2020 2:13 am

Not this season but either the FO or coach (or both) will have to take blame if we don’t show massive improvement after next season.
OrlandoSaban
Junior
And1: 201

Post#24 » by OrlandoSaban » Sat Feb 8, 2020 2:17 am

Coach just got fined $25,000 for yelling at the refs
thelead
RealGM

Post#25 » by thelead » Sat Feb 8, 2020 2:18 am

OrlandO wrote:Team's not healthy and management knows they haven't given him enough offense to work with... he'll obviously get at least another season.

Yeah but even if we were healthy, would we be fighting for the 5th or 6th seed (~30-20 record)? I highly doubt it. If healthy, we would see a marginal improvement, at best, with a roster that has the SIXTH highest payroll in the entire league.

I’m done with talking about coaches. The FO needs to take responsibility for this clusterF.
fklt
Sixth Man
And1: 1,643

Post#26 » by fklt » Sat Feb 8, 2020 2:35 am

OrlandO wrote:Team's not healthy and management knows they haven't given him enough offense to work with... he'll obviously get at least another season.

do they really though?
penny_nz
Analyst
And1: 1,529

Post#27 » by penny_nz » Sat Feb 8, 2020 3:39 am

Cliffs rotations drive me mad sometimes, and I hate how basic his offense is, but this roster is not conducive to winning, modern NBA basketball. So despite the above concerns, I think he deserves more time.

Unless of course he's had a strong say in the style of players recruited or retained, in which case yes he should lol
I still believe in Magic! Welcome to the Franz & Paolo era
The Real Dalic
RealGM
And1: 7,027

Post#28 » by The Real Dalic » Sat Feb 8, 2020 3:41 am

fklt wrote:

do they really though?

They clearly do, I mean, they did get the superhero that averages 5ppg in Ennis and told Denton to tweet that we fixed our perimeter scoring and perimeter shooting by acquiring him.
God. Family. Country. Basketball.
PrimeThyme
RealGM
And1: 14,333

Post#29 » by PrimeThyme » Sat Feb 8, 2020 4:57 am

thelead wrote:I’m done with talking about coaches. The FO needs to take responsibility for this clusterF.

This is where I'm at. I'm not interested in blaming a coach or even players for our problems anymore. This mess falls all on our basketball operations. They may have inherited a mess of a roster w/o shooting or offensive talent but all they have done is tripled down on that roster with their drafting, free agent signings, and resigning of Hennys former players and we are in the exact same place we were the second they took over.

We are in a pitch-black tunnel and the only light at the end of it is another inevitable rebuild. It would be a travesty if they fired Clifford and used him as the fall guy. I may not be his biggest fan, but I think it's unfair the disaster of a roster he has been given to work with.
OrlandO
RealGM
And1: 16,421

Post#30 » by OrlandO » Sat Feb 8, 2020 4:57 am

thelead wrote:

Yeah but even if we were healthy, would we be fighting for the 5th or 6th seed (~30-20 record)? I highly doubt it. If healthy, we would see a marginal improvement, at best, with a roster that has the SIXTH highest payroll in the entire league.

I’m done with talking about coaches. The FO needs to take responsibility for this clusterF.

I'm sure management had more realistic expectations for what the team could and couldn't do with a "rookie" starting PG who can't shoot yet. Just like they understand playing without two PFs is tough. It's only the sixth highest payroll because we're paying our highest paid players more up front... if the rates were flat we'd be middle of the pack... if the rates inclined like most teams' highest paid players we'd be closer to the bottom in payroll right now. Plus mozgov's salary is technically still included in the count even though there's no cap hit anymore.
thelead
RealGM

Post#31 » by thelead » Sat Feb 8, 2020 5:05 am

OrlandO wrote:
thelead wrote:

I'm sure management had more realistic expectations for what the team could and couldn't do with a "rookie" starting PG who can't shoot yet. Just like they understand playing without two PFs is tough. It's only the sixth highest payroll because we're paying our highest paid players more up front... if the rates were flat we'd be middle of the pack... if the rates inclined like most teams' highest paid players we'd be closer to the bottom in payroll right now. Plus mozgov's salary is technically still included in the count even though there's no cap hit anymore.

I dunno man. The guy you’re replacing was fired for poor performance and what do you do 3 years in? You give everyone a raise and bring on interns... We haven’t made enough changes for 3 years IMO.

All I’m saying is, I blame the FO way more than I do Cliff. Then again, I wasn’t a fan of bringing Cliff on either. But I’m less critical of that because I doubt we could have landed Nurse. I bet Nurse knew he had the Toronto head coach gig coming to him.
j-ragg
RealGM
And1: 11,652

Post#32 » by j-ragg » Sat Feb 8, 2020 3:29 pm

thelead wrote:All I’m saying is, I blame the FO way more than I do Cliff. Then again, I wasn’t a fan of bringing Cliff on either. But I’m less critical of that because I doubt we could have landed Nurse. I bet Nurse knew he had the Toronto head coach gig coming to him.

Agreed. I was wrong on Cliff initially but at the same time I think he'd be best as a defensive guru assistant with a more modern offensive coach as HC. But I think the FO is much more to blame than Cliff, he's playing the cards he was dealt and we knew he was old school from day 1. Coaches always take the brunt of any blame though in the league.
BadMofoPimp wrote:Durant thinks Vooch is one of the Best Centers in the NBA. I will take his word over a couch-GM yelling at a TV.
fateis007
Rookie
And1: 813

Post#33 » by fateis007 » Sat Feb 8, 2020 4:01 pm

Cliff isn't there yet. But a part of me knows that Alex Martin is the behind the scenes coach. I mean it's obvious he's trying to not ride Fultz to hard yet, the guy just came back from a serious injury that side lines him 2 years. His minutes have been going up.

But like it or not, Ross chucking, Vooch and Baldy running pick and rolls, and AG trying to be a scorer is all we have. We get a ton of open looks, we just don't have any consistent shooters or 1 on 1 threats.

I would LOVE for him to turn Isaac into a scoring threat. This kid has a sick first step and a nice fade away. That is a huge part of drawing fouls and playing 1 on 1. I honestly think he has the quickest first step of anyone on our team. I would love to just hand him over the offense and let him grow into a 20ppg threat. At 6"11, he even has the handles to bring it up the court, we have seen him on a few fast breaks and he can push it with speed.

But it seems like Cliff is fighting for his job, and wants to use what he knows, have instead of trying to break away.
MagicMatic
RealGM
And1: 12,830

Post#34 » by MagicMatic » Sat Feb 8, 2020 5:03 pm

thelead wrote:
OrlandO wrote:
thelead wrote:Yeah but even if we were healthy, would we be fighting for the 5th or 6th seed (~30-20 record)? I highly doubt it. If healthy, we would see a marginal improvement, at best, with a roster that has the SIXTH highest payroll in the entire league.

I dunno man. The guy you’re replacing was fired for poor performance and what do you do 3 years in? You give everyone a raise and bring on interns... We haven’t made enough changes for 3 years IMO.

All I’m saying is, I blame the FO way more than I do Cliff. Then again, I wasn’t a fan of bringing Cliff on either. But I’m less critical of that because I doubt we could have landed Nurse. I bet Nurse knew he had the Toronto head coach gig coming to him.

This is how I feel about their tenure here in Orlando.

What significant roster changes have they really made?!

Switched EP for Fultz - A plus as of now.
Drafted Isaac - Best thing they’ve done.
Drafted Bamba - Who knows.
Drafted Iwundu - Not a factor
Drafted Frazier- Probably not nba material

Signed Aminu- Been hurt while collecting a check.
Signed MCW - ok I guess.
Signed Ennis - sure, whatever.

Resigned AG- check
Resigned Vuc- check
Resigned Ross- check
Resigned Birch - check
Resigned Fournier- (?)

That’s it.

What are they waiting for exactly? Their chances should have been made not resigning the roster Hennigan got fired for fielding. Instead, they gave them bigger deals and tanked their value.

Im not entirely sure what Clifford is supposed to do. It’s not like they’ve done him any favors offensively. It’s the same **** with a different coat of paint.
cedric76
RealGM
And1: 3,179

Post#35 » by cedric76 » Sun Feb 9, 2020 5:51 am

I think cliff lost it

In tonight s press conference, they asked him about injuries and he said that the injured player we miss the most is DJ :banghead:

Because of his play making and shooting skills

Unbelievable

We need a more imaginative offensive coach

I still can't believe we didn't go after Mike malone, he would have been perfect here
Grayson or Monk? Bring the cheapest

unleash Jett next seaon

Return to Orlando Magic