ImageImageImageImage

Post TD Free Agents

Moderators: UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL

drsd
RealGM
And1: 7,924

Re: Post TD Free Agents 

Post#21 » by drsd » Sun Feb 9, 2020 11:51 am

zaymon wrote:I think Clark played better than Iwundu so far. Maybe we will assemble some kind of a bench for next season.
Fultz/Fournier/Okeke/Isaac/Vucevic
MCW, Ross, Aminu, Bamba+ (Dj, Clark and Ennis)?
Hmm i wonder what will happen with Dj and Ennis. This bench doesnt seem balanced.

I agree that Clark has played better off of the bench that Iwundu as a starter. But when Wesley Deshawn has been part of the second unit, he has excelled.

p.s. I am just glad that neither will start moving forward. No pun intended.

BlueBalls
Sixth Man
And1: 689

Post#22 » by BlueBalls » Sun Feb 9, 2020 2:31 pm

Go. Get. BENDER. No reason not to.
If you see something suspicious, say something suspicious.
BCS
Sixth Man
And1: 675

Post#23 » by BCS » Sun Feb 9, 2020 3:38 pm

BlueBalls wrote:Go. Get. BENDER. No reason not to.

I agree. But who are we waiving now...Frazier? Clark was the odd man out but we go and sign him for the remainder of the year.
Sent from my LG-TP450 using RealGM mobile app
The Real Dalic
RealGM
And1: 7,068

Post#24 » by The Real Dalic » Sun Feb 9, 2020 10:32 pm

Dion Waiters has officially been bought out.

There are some okay to decent bench pieces floating around out there if the Magic want them. Unfortunately, I think this is the team we're getting for the rest of the season. No reason we couldn't waive Frazer, but we probably won't.
God. Family. Country. Basketball.
BlueBalls
Sixth Man

Post#25 » by BlueBalls » Mon Feb 10, 2020 2:23 pm

BCS wrote:
BlueBalls wrote:Go. Get. BENDER. No reason not to.

I agree. But who are we waiving now...Frazier? Clark was the odd man out but we go and sign him for the remainder of the year.
Sent from my LG-TP450 using RealGM mobile app

Frazier. Or freaking toss Clark out on his head. Neither one are worth the paper on which they signed their contracts. Bender has upside and could be ideal here.
Knightro
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 24,360

Post#26 » by Knightro » Mon Feb 10, 2020 3:00 pm

Quite literally Bender's only upside is the fact he's still 22.

He's played 3560 NBA minutes (for comparison, that's slightly more than Isaac has played and almost 3 times as many minutes as Bamba has played) and been god awful in all of those minutes.

He's just not a good player. Any upside remaining there is hypothetical only.
Bensational
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 12,450

Post#27 » by Bensational » Mon Feb 10, 2020 4:36 pm

Knightro wrote:Quite literally Bender's only upside is the fact he's still 22.

He's played 3560 NBA minutes (for comparison, that's slightly more than Isaac has played and almost 3 times as many minutes as Bamba has played) and been god awful in all of those minutes.

What happened to him? He was a European prodigy when he was drafted and supposed to be Doncic before Doncic (although Doncic was already being talked about then, too). I'm surprised he hasnt been able to find some kind of small role.

Mirotic was a similar case. Had apparently dominated in Europe but it didn't translate.
pepe1991
RealGM
And1: 16,297

Post#28 » by pepe1991 » Mon Feb 10, 2020 4:45 pm

Bensational wrote:

What happened to him? He was a European prodigy when he was drafted and supposed to be Doncic before Doncic (although Doncic was already being talked about then, too). I'm surprised he hasnt been able to find some kind of small role.

Mirotic was a similar case. Had apparently dominated in Europe but it didn't translate.

Bender was third string C in Euroleague that never played.
What happend with him? Clear case of agent wanting cash in by skipping stages. Should have stayed longer in Croatia, should have stayed longer in Europe, should have arive in NBA with more developed body.
But if he did all that agent would not be 100% sure that he would collect guaranteed $11 000 000 .
Life is what happens when you're busy making other plans. -John Lennon
BlueBalls
Sixth Man

Post#29 » by BlueBalls » Mon Feb 10, 2020 5:09 pm

Upside is always a hypothetical.

It's also something that Frazier, Clark, Ennis, etc lack.
zaymon
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,158

Post#30 » by zaymon » Mon Feb 10, 2020 5:19 pm

BlueBalls wrote:

Upside is always a hypothetical.

It's also something that Frazier, Clark, Ennis, etc lack.

It depends how you define upside ? Clark upside is propaly good rotation player (good defender, and not a bad shooter). Ennis showed he can play minutes in the playoffs, and he is a wing, thats valueable (more now than ever). We really dont know what we have in Frazier, but i wouldnt rule out his upside. He is long, athletic and showed some skill. He also was injured all summer.
My money is on Banchero going number 1 !
Xatticus
Head Coach
And1: 7,960

Post#31 » by Xatticus » Mon Feb 10, 2020 10:57 pm

Bensational wrote:

Doncic was very accomplished before he entered the draft. Bender wasn't.

https://www.basketball-reference.com/international/players/dragan-bender-1.html

He had a limited role off the bench on a lower tier EuroLeague club and he hadn't done anything with the minutes he was given.

I'm not sure that Bender really does anything well. He has decent mobility for his size, but it's really just straight-line stuff. He can get up and down the court in transition, but he isn't a fluid athlete and he doesn't jump. He is a decent shooter and might be useful as a floor-stretching five, but he isn't a five. He doesn't have plus size as a five and he doesn't have the physicality for it, so his usefulness in that role is limited. I think there is an assumption among those clamoring for us to sign him that there is some underlying potential there because he was the 4th overall pick, but I don't see it.

I tend to think that teams take stabs at foreign players when they aren't enamored with their other options. The unknown seems more attractive when the known options aren't appealing. There just seems to be a much higher standard for productivity from collegiate prospects. How does a guy that averaged 7 points per 36 minutes on poor efficiency in 7 EuroLeague games get taken 4th overall in the draft? Hezonja had a far better resume than Bender.
"Xatticus has always been, in my humble opinion best poster here. Should write articles or something."
-pepe1991

Return to Orlando Magic