ImageImageImageImage

Official Speculation Thread '19-'20 V: Purgatory

Moderators: UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL

Knightro
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 24,622

Re: Official Speculation Thread '19-'20 V: Purgatory 

Post#1021 » by Knightro » Mon Aug 10, 2020 9:18 pm

I will bet just about anything that both the Magic and the Nets go over 100 points.

Neither team has anything to play for in terms of seeding. No one is going to be playing any sort of defense. It's going to be a loosey goosey scrimmage type atmosphere.
Bensational
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 12,541

Post#1022 » by Bensational » Mon Aug 10, 2020 9:30 pm

j-ragg wrote:
Read on Twitter

Cliff either needs to get a new system or convince Weltman to get new initiators but that shouldn’t be our go to play ^^.

Oof. That kind of says it all.

AG tucked away in the middle of the pack for efficiency, but on the lower side of possessions. He continues to fly under the radar.
rcklsscognition
RealGM
And1: 7,197

Post#1023 » by rcklsscognition » Mon Aug 10, 2020 10:59 pm

What's wrong with T-Ross? Only thing I remember was that weird fall a couple of games about where he hit his face on the floor a bit. Is he not coming back?

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/29633894/magic-terrence-ross-leaves-bubble-site-tests

Orlando Magic guard Terrence Ross has left the NBA's bubble at Walt Disney World to undergo off-site medical tests not related to COVID-19, according to the team.

The Magic announced Monday that Ross left the bubble after Sunday's game against the Boston Celtics because of a "personal matter" that will require the off-site tests.

The Magic also said the off-site tests were "advised by league physicians."

Ross will not play Tuesday against the Brooklyn Nets, and the Magic will determine his availability based on test results and the league's virus-related quarantine protocols.

Ross, 29, scored 18 points in 37 minutes Sunday in Orlando's overtime loss to Boston. He is Orlando's third-leading scorer this season, averaging 14.7 points per game.

Is it normal to write someone's age in an article like this?
swarlesbarkley
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,156

Post#1024 » by swarlesbarkley » Tue Aug 11, 2020 4:15 am

Can we take a look at the 2018 draft class for a minute and just admire how badly WeHam messed up?

Luka
Trae
Ayton
JJJ
MPJ
SGA
Miles Bridges
Carter Jr.
Devonte Graham
Gary Trent Jr.
Simons
Sexton
Troy Brown Jr.
Shake Milton

All these players have made more of an impact of their teams (some better, some worse than the Magic) than Bamba. Sure, Ayton, Luka, JJJ, and Trae were taken before us but we also chose to not tank at all at the end of the 2017-18 season which hurt our chances at those guys.

The only team that did it worse than us is the Sacremento Kings - and Bagley has been more productive than Bamba when healthy.

Just really rough. It's looking like the 2018 draft class might be up there with 1996 and 2003. Luka and Trae already stars/superstars, SGA and Ayton solid players who'll probably make multiple all stars, MPJ looking like the real deal scoring machine, and a whole bunch of guys who will be solid starters and role players.
pepe1991
RealGM
And1: 16,352

Post#1025 » by pepe1991 » Tue Aug 11, 2020 6:08 am

Shutout to Suns for playing best basketball in last... 5 years?
Also it's funny how they don't even start their 1# pick.

If they drafted Doncic in 2018 they would be craaazzzyyyy good. But they built really nice roster around Booker. They are also, imo, team that could be interesting Magic trade partner for Gordon
Life is what happens when you're busy making other plans. -John Lennon
pepe1991
RealGM
And1: 16,352

Post#1026 » by pepe1991 » Tue Aug 11, 2020 6:28 am

Vuc postups have different value than most of the players from the list like Lopez.
Vuc leads whole league in passes from postups and is second best in APG from postups (behind only Jokić, by 0,3 assists).

Also, listed as top 5 player in postups per game, two players actually have worst raw FG% than him, but they draw more fouls.
Lot of Magic and Vuc postups are by design of offense, where coach trusts him more than the others to make right basketball plays.

Now is it good for offense to play through him? Probably not, but once again, it's decision by default, Magic do not have anybody that can initiate offense. And for years it has been the same story. Magic, for lenght of Vuc- Magic career never had ballhandler who is top 10 player at his position, and it's impossible to be 48-55 wins team without one.
Life is what happens when you're busy making other plans. -John Lennon
IllMagic04
Analyst
And1: 1,819

Post#1027 » by IllMagic04 » Tue Aug 11, 2020 12:22 pm

swarlesbarkley wrote:Can we take a look at the 2018 draft class for a minute and just admire how badly WeHam messed up?

Luka
Trae
Ayton
JJJ
MPJ
SGA
Miles Bridges
Carter Jr.
Devonte Graham
Gary Trent Jr.
Simons
Sexton
Troy Brown Jr.
Shake Milton

All these players have made more of an impact of their teams (some better, some worse than the Magic) than Bamba. Sure, Ayton, Luka, JJJ, and Trae were taken before us but we also chose to not tank at all at the end of the 2017-18 season which hurt our chances at those guys.

The only team that did it worse than us is the Sacremento Kings - and Bagley has been more productive than Bamba when healthy.

Just really rough. It's looking like the 2018 draft class might be up there with 1996 and 2003. Luka and Trae already stars/superstars, SGA and Ayton solid players who'll probably make multiple all stars, MPJ looking like the real deal scoring machine, and a whole bunch of guys who will be solid starters and role players.
Yup that draft was the moment I knew for sure this FO was incompetent. While they did try to lose the last game of that season and still won, a good GM doesnt let it get to that point. Vuc shoulda been traded off the team before the season started. At the very least early in the season. We knew how good the draft was, we knew the tanking rules where changing. Yet they sat back and let us win games anyway. The sad reality is even if Young had fallin to us I dont think they woulda picked him. Thats not the kinda player they like. Hell people on this very board didnt want Trae. I remember the Trae Young battles like yesterday. They woulda probally picked Doncic. Even these idiots arent stupid enough to pass on him. Why Divac hasnt been fired fron Sacremento I have no idea. Why are GMs given so much damn rope. I just dont get it.

Sent from my SM-G970U using RealGM mobile app
The Effect
Magic Forum Mock Draft Co-Champ
And1: 2,053

Post#1028 » by The Effect » Tue Aug 11, 2020 1:40 pm

pepe1991 wrote:Shutout to Suns for playing best basketball in last... 5 years?
Also it's funny how they don't even start their 1# pick.

If they drafted Doncic in 2018 they would be craaazzzyyyy good. But they built really nice roster around Booker. They are also, imo, team that could be interesting Magic trade partner for Gordon

What made it weird is that the sun's coach at the time was doncics old coach...he KNEW personally how good doncics was and they still passed

Weird

But atleast they still hit on their pick with ayton, just.....not quite the HR they would of hit with luka
The Effect
Magic Forum Mock Draft Co-Champ
And1: 2,053

Post#1029 » by The Effect » Tue Aug 11, 2020 1:43 pm

IllMagic04 wrote:
swarlesbarkley wrote:Can we take a look at the 2018 draft class for a minute and just admire how badly WeHam messed up?

Luka
Trae
Ayton
JJJ
MPJ
SGA
Miles Bridges
Carter Jr.
Devonte Graham
Gary Trent Jr.
Simons
Sexton
Troy Brown Jr.
Shake Milton

Yup that draft was the moment I knew for sure this FO was incompetent. While they did try to lose the last game of that season and still won, a good GM doesnt let it get to that point. Vuc shoulda been traded off the team before the season started. At the very least early in the season. We knew how good the draft was, we knew the tanking rules where changing. Yet they sat back and let us win games anyway. The sad reality is even if Young had fallin to us I dont think they woulda picked him. Thats not the kinda player they like. Hell people on this very board didnt want Trae. I remember the Trae Young battles like yesterday. They woulda probally picked Doncic. Even these idiots arent stupid enough to pass on him. Why Divac hasnt been fired fron Sacremento I have no idea. Why are GMs given so much damn rope. I just dont get it.

Yup I remember those trae vs bamba arguments on here

Still can't believe how hyped mo was considering he had zero offensive game and even in college had a bad rep for being lazy....both things still used to describe him today

With each passing day, he's becoming more and more the NBA version of Mike Mamula (aka workout warrior...not a player)
j-ragg
RealGM
And1: 11,652

Post#1030 » by j-ragg » Tue Aug 11, 2020 1:47 pm

I know people say hindsight is 20/20 blah blah but I didn’t get two things about the draft. Why Luka wasn’t #1 and why people were infatuated with Bamba.

Didn’t understand why SGA was below guys like Sexton too (but in fairness Sexton has been better on offense than I thought he’d be). I think I had Shai 4th on my board? Thought he was our obvious choice given our need. His issue was not holding the wingspan record though.
BadMofoPimp wrote:Durant thinks Vooch is one of the Best Centers in the NBA. I will take his word over a couch-GM yelling at a TV.
j-ragg
RealGM
And1: 11,652

Post#1031 » by j-ragg » Tue Aug 11, 2020 1:48 pm

While we are complaining about previous busts, I think if Mario worked harder at a few things he could’ve been a star. Picture perfect jumper, good athleticism, great size for a wing. **** you Knicks for taking our guy.
BadMofoPimp wrote:Durant thinks Vooch is one of the Best Centers in the NBA. I will take his word over a couch-GM yelling at a TV.
MartinsIzAfraud
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,126

Post#1032 » by MartinsIzAfraud » Tue Aug 11, 2020 2:21 pm

j-ragg wrote:While we are complaining about previous busts, I think if Mario worked harder at a few things he could’ve been a star. Picture perfect jumper, good athleticism, great size for a wing. **** you Knicks for taking our guy.

Skiles quitting hurt Mario a little IMO. Towards the end of the year he was starting to slowly put it together then the guy who was pushing him to not make stupid mistakes left and in came Vogel. Still salty we passed on Booker, dude wanted to be here so badly
A scoring guard.. never heard of one. :roll:
tiderulz
RealGM
And1: 14,144

Post#1033 » by tiderulz » Tue Aug 11, 2020 2:43 pm

Luka
Trae
Ayton
JJJ
MPJ
SGA
Miles Bridges
Carter Jr.
Devonte Graham
Gary Trent Jr.
Simons
Sexton
Troy Brown Jr.
Shake Milton

i didnt really have giant opinions at the top of the draft, but i was banging a drum for Shake Milton in the 2nd round. we had chances but no, we drafted Melvin Frazer and then traded for Justin Jackson. great use of picks :roll:
MartinsIzAfraud
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,126

Post#1034 » by MartinsIzAfraud » Tue Aug 11, 2020 3:13 pm

tiderulz wrote:

Luka
Trae
Ayton
JJJ
MPJ
SGA
Miles Bridges
Carter Jr.
Devonte Graham
Gary Trent Jr.
Simons
Sexton
Troy Brown Jr.
Shake Milton

i didnt really have giant opinions at the top of the draft, but i was banging a drum for Shake Milton in the 2nd round. we had chances but no, we drafted Melvin Frazer and then traded for Justin Jackson. great use of picks :roll:

Between Milton or Melton I wanted one of those dudes. Also liked the Michigan SF who shot the ball lights out Myhkaliuk or whatever.
A scoring guard.. never heard of one. :roll:
Creativetran
Senior
And1: 282

Post#1035 » by Creativetran » Tue Aug 11, 2020 4:34 pm

swarlesbarkley wrote:Sure, Ayton, Luka, JJJ, and Trae were taken before us but we also chose to not tank at all at the end of the 2017-18 season which hurt our chances at those guys..

Also even if we don't talk about those stupid wins we had at the end of the year to mess up our tank, I bet if they made a major deal like trading the 6th pick, AG or whatever we would have definitely been able to move up on the draft.
Creativetran
Senior
And1: 282

Post#1036 » by Creativetran » Tue Aug 11, 2020 4:38 pm

j-ragg wrote:While we are complaining about previous busts, I think if Mario worked harder at a few things he could’ve been a star. Picture perfect jumper, good athleticism, great size for a wing. **** you Knicks for taking our guy.

I remember the year leading up to the draft and all the talk about Mario, I remember his talk about how he could do everything those guys in the dunk contest were doing. I loved the kids confidence. I thought he was a crazy good athlete.

The problem with Mario is he is a good explosive jumping athlete, but he's very average everywhere else.
jonbob17
Analyst
And1: 1,317

Post#1037 » by jonbob17 » Tue Aug 11, 2020 6:52 pm

Creativetran wrote:
swarlesbarkley wrote:Sure, Ayton, Luka, JJJ, and Trae were taken before us but we also chose to not tank at all at the end of the 2017-18 season which hurt our chances at those guys..

Also even if we don't talk about those stupid wins we had at the end of the year to mess up our tank, I bet if they made a major deal like trading the 6th pick, AG or whatever we would have definitely been able to move up on the draft.

It's not easy to move up toward the top of a good draft. The only reason the Hawks moved is because they knew they would still get their guy. Maybe if we offered the 6th and two unprotected future firsts to Sacramento, even then I doubt it, and they thought Bagley was the answer.
At least we are not Sacramento I guess, even if they did get Fox a year earlier.
IllMagic04
Analyst

Post#1038 » by IllMagic04 » Tue Aug 11, 2020 8:21 pm

jonbob17 wrote:
Creativetran wrote:

It's not easy to move up toward the top of a good draft. The only reason the Hawks moved is because they knew they would still get their guy. Maybe if we offered the 6th and two unprotected future firsts to Sacramento, even then I doubt it, and they thought Bagley was the answer.
At least we are not Sacramento I guess, even if they did get Fox a year earlier.
The Kings no. The Grizz were the team to attack. The second the Luka/ Trea deal got announced ( we knew the day before) you pick up the phone and call the Grizz to swap 6 for 4. Take Chanler Parsons contract and offer #6, Evan and protected future first rounder. If they say no then take the protection off. If they say no again then swap out AG instead of Evan. Theres no way they turn all those down.

From the Griz perspective JJJ wasnt a cant miss prospect. And its not impossible they get him at 6. Bamba was a highy talked about propect at the time. Dallas may take the Texas kid 5. If not they are happy with Bamba at 6. At the time there was serious discustion of who was the better prospect between JJJ and Bamba. I'll admit I thought Bamba was. I was dead wrong there. Obviously if your using todays lens Memphis made the right call. Things are not clear at that moment

For our perspective we force ATL to take who they really want. Were they so hot for Trae even without the future asset? Probally not but who knows. If not we take Trae and finaly have a star to build around.

I said this in a draft thread the day before the draft when the ATL/Dal trade was out there. So for me theres no 20/ 20 hindsight.

jonbob17
Analyst
And1: 1,317

Post#1039 » by jonbob17 » Tue Aug 11, 2020 8:46 pm

IllMagic04 wrote:
jonbob17 wrote:
Creativetran wrote:Also even if we don't talk about those stupid wins we had at the end of the year to mess up our tank, I bet if they made a major deal like trading the 6th pick, AG or whatever we would have definitely been able to move up on the draft.

The Kings no. The Grizz were the team to attack. The second the Luka/ Trea deal got announced ( we knew the day before) you pick up the phone and call the Grizz to swap 6 for 4. Take Chanler Parsons contract and offer #6, Evan and protected future first rounder. If they say no then take the protection off. If they say no again then swap out AG instead of Evan. Theres no way they turn all those down.

From the Griz perspective JJJ wasnt a cant miss prospect. And its not impossible they get him at 6. Bamba was a highy talked about propect at the time. Dallas may take the Texas kid 5. If not they are happy with Bamba at 6. At the time there was serious discustion of who was the better prospect between JJJ and Bamba. I'll admit I thought Bamba was. I was dead wrong there. Obviously if your using todays lens Memphis made the right call. Things are not clear at that moment

For our perspective we force ATL to take who they really want. Were they so hot for Trae even without the future asset? Probally not but who knows. If not we take Trae and finaly have a star to build around.

I said this in a draft thread the day before the draft when the ATL/Dal trade was out there. So for me theres no 20/ 20 hindsight.

I would have assumed they tried hard after they figured out the Hawks were moving down.
I think you got it right in your post further up, there was no reason to mess up the tank. If nothing else we should have been in the 5th spot and given what the Mavs gave for Doncic, or been able to take Trae. Oh well I am sure we will be in a better position the for the next Doncic. :|

Which strangely enough with Cunningham, Doncic might be a pretty good high end comparison, probably not close as a scorer at the moment.
IllMagic04
Analyst

Post#1040 » by IllMagic04 » Tue Aug 11, 2020 9:28 pm

jonbob17 wrote:
IllMagic04 wrote:
jonbob17 wrote:

I would have assumed they tried hard after they figured out the Hawks were moving down.
I think you got it right in your post further up, there was no reason to mess up the tank. If nothing else we should have been in the 5th spot and given what the Mavs gave for Doncic, or been able to take Trae. Oh well I am sure we will be in a better position the for the next Doncic. :|

Which strangely enough with Cunningham, Doncic might be a pretty good high end comparison, probably not close as a scorer at the moment.
I dont think they tried hard enough or at all. I think the long arms of Bamba falling to them was a dream come true. I wanted Trae Young badly. Me and Skin were driving the Trae Young bus. If they truly wanted him they coulda made a deal. They didnt want him. Hes not the kinda prospect they want. I knew we had no shot at Doncic but walking out of that draft without Young is a pain I still havnt gotten over.

I havnt followed this upcoming draft at all. Whos is this player your talking about

Return to Orlando Magic