ImageImageImageImage

Official Speculation Thread '19-'20 V: Purgatory

Moderators: Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL, UCF

Skybox
RealGM
And1: 5,615

Re: Official Speculation Thread '19-'20 V: Purgatory 

Post#1721 » by Skybox » Mon Sep 21, 2020 4:17 pm

"Tweener" needs to be retired or no longer used as criticism. It was used to describe guys like Corliss Williamson and Larry Johnson who were able to physically dominate college guys and then got to the NBA and had to face "true" PF's like Kevin McHale and Chris Webber, who would drag them into the post and punish them. Or, they would just get bounced off their spots by Rick Mahorn-types. Nowadays, they would be completely typical and possibly even big for PF's. Chuma is fine physically. He's sturdy and long, which is more important than tall. Now, you hope he's quick enough to be a tweener, otherwise he'll get killed on switches.
MartinsIzAfraud
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,116

Post#1722 » by MartinsIzAfraud » Tue Sep 22, 2020 1:43 pm

Ducklett wrote:"Most of us wanted Herro" KEK

Most you guys wanted NAW. But now that he is total trash and looks like he won't even be in the league after this contact, you glob onto whatever other player you can LOL.

Knowing our luck and bottom tier player development strategy, Okeke is going to suck too.

NAW isn’t total trash he got drafted to a team that had 6 combo guards ahead of him. Dude lit us the **** up in the bubble. Has a quality vet showing him the ropes in JJ and will likely have a solid sophomore year.

If you think he’s Iwundu out of the league level then obviously you’re just stay checking. NOLA didn’t draft him to play right away and it was obvious.
A scoring guard.. never heard of one. :roll:
j-ragg
RealGM
And1: 11,652

Post#1723 » by j-ragg » Tue Sep 22, 2020 2:13 pm

Herro and NAW were my 1A and 1B. I think both will be very good players in the league. Herro keeps getting slept on like he’s young Korver, he has more versatility to his game than he gets credit for.

I hate loving the Heat’s team.
BadMofoPimp wrote:Durant thinks Vooch is one of the Best Centers in the NBA. I will take his word over a couch-GM yelling at a TV.
drsd
RealGM
And1: 7,915

Post#1724 » by drsd » Tue Sep 22, 2020 4:37 pm

I loved Alexander-Walker at #16. But we really need to wait a coupe-three years to compare him to Okeke.
KillMonger
RealGM
And1: 10,007

Post#1725 » by KillMonger » Tue Sep 22, 2020 11:19 pm

j-ragg wrote:Herro and NAW were my 1A and 1B. I think both will be very good players in the league. Herro keeps getting slept on like he’s young Korver, he has more versatility to his game than he gets credit for.

I hate loving the Heat’s team.

kevin martin lite? diet micheal redd?
Orl_Magic
Junior
And1: 197

Post#1726 » by Orl_Magic » Fri Sep 25, 2020 11:36 am

Saw this yesterday. Do not know if this actually has any legs but I like what we get in this trade.

https://fadeawayworld.net/2020/09/21/nba-rumors-kyle-lowry-could-land-with-bucks-in-potential-three-team-deal-with-raptors-and-magic/
Catledge
Starter
And1: 834

Post#1727 » by Catledge » Fri Sep 25, 2020 12:33 pm

Orl_Magic wrote:Saw this yesterday. Do not know if this actually has any legs but I like what we get in this trade.

https://fadeawayworld.net/2020/09/21/nba-rumors-kyle-lowry-could-land-with-bucks-in-potential-three-team-deal-with-raptors-and-magic/

So we would basically be trading our pick for Donte DiVincenzo? Presumably the motivation would be to have a backup wing if Ross has to move in the SL?

Surely we wouldn't regard DiVincenzo as a legitimately potential starter?
tiderulz
RealGM
And1: 14,104

Post#1728 » by tiderulz » Fri Sep 25, 2020 2:25 pm

Catledge wrote:
Orl_Magic wrote:Saw this yesterday. Do not know if this actually has any legs but I like what we get in this trade.

So we would basically be trading our pick for Donte DiVincenzo? Presumably the motivation would be to have a backup wing if Ross has to move in the SL?

yeah, i dont like that at all. Would rather just draft at #15. at least we then get the full 4 years of rookie contract instead of 2 years already gone.
drsd
RealGM

Post#1729 » by drsd » Fri Sep 25, 2020 2:35 pm

Catledge wrote:

The #15 would on average not project to a player of DiVincenzo stat lines (where he has major minutes on a very good team).

So: yes I think Donte DiVincenzo and the No. 24 pick is a very good haul for the No. 15 pick and Khem Birch. It really solidifies the bench and RJ Hampton might still be on the board at 24. Otherwise the Magic could draft Zeke Nnaji or Daniel Oturu to shore up 3rd string Center.
Orl_Magic
Junior
And1: 197

Post#1730 » by Orl_Magic » Fri Sep 25, 2020 4:01 pm

drsd wrote:
So: yes I think Donte DiVincenzo and the No. 24 pick is a very good haul for the No. 15 pick and Khem Birch. It really solidifies the bench and RJ Hampton might still be on the board at 24. Otherwise the Magic could draft Zeke Nnaji or Daniel Oturu to shore up 3rd string Center.

Eww puke no more project C's. We already have one of those.
MoMM
RealGM
And1: 1,715

Post#1731 » by MoMM » Fri Sep 25, 2020 4:08 pm

tiderulz wrote:
Catledge wrote:

yeah, i dont like that at all. Would rather just draft at #15. at least we then get the full 4 years of rookie contract instead of 2 years already gone.

Yes, I'd prefer to take a shot using #15 as well, or keep Khem and trade up using #15 + Bamba.
zaymon
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,154

Post#1732 » by zaymon » Fri Sep 25, 2020 4:12 pm

drsd wrote:
Catledge wrote:

The #15 would on average not project to a player of DiVincenzo stat lines (where he has major minutes on a very good team).

I would rather risk with a chance to get a starter than settle on reserve plus late frp. I would certainly pick Pokusevski with #15, i could be talked into Cole, Maxey, Lewis, Green or Hampton. Who do we target with 24, Flynn ? Tre Jones ? I think there is a big talent drop around 20-22.
My money is on Banchero going number 1 !
drsd
RealGM

Post#1733 » by drsd » Sun Sep 27, 2020 9:59 pm

Orl_Magic wrote:
drsd wrote:

This trade package sent out Birch; in that Orlando would need a 3rd string Center.
tiderulz
RealGM

Post#1734 » by tiderulz » Mon Sep 28, 2020 1:06 am

drsd wrote:
Catledge wrote:

Dante is in 2nd year, 9 ppg (33% from 3) as the 17th pick. I think you could find someone at 15 that could replicate his 2 years of development so far. Collins from Hawks (19), Anuby (23) Huerter (19) Okogie (20) Beasley (19) LeVert (20) Oubre (15) Rozier (16) just to name a few players around that range the past few years. Donte just doesnt do it for me
MagicMatic
RealGM
And1: 12,922

Post#1735 » by MagicMatic » Mon Sep 28, 2020 2:20 am

drsd wrote:
Orl_Magic wrote:
drsd wrote:

This trade package sent out Birch; in that Orlando would need a 3rd string Center.

Just sign one. 3rd string Centers grow on trees and are relatively cheap. Not worth spending any assets.
drsd
RealGM

Post#1736 » by drsd » Mon Sep 28, 2020 8:03 am

tiderulz wrote:Dante is in 2nd year, 9 ppg (33% from 3) as the 17th pick. I think you could find someone at 15 that could replicate his 2 years of development so far. Collins from Hawks (19), Anuby (23) Huerter (19) Okogie (20) Beasley (19) LeVert (20) Oubre (15) Rozier (16) just to name a few players around that range the past few years. Donte just doesnt do it for me

Averging statistics for Mr. #15 leads to a player with 8.3 ppg, 1.9 apg, and 3.5 rpg (obviously skewed by differing positions being averaged as well as differing talents).

Indeed from this graphic we can see that Mr. #15 should be expected to be a back-up or end-of-bench player 67% of the time.

p.s. this graphic also shows that talent scouts and G.M.s are really really good at their jobs!

Draft Express Link: PICK EXPECTATIONS

Rhetoric: will any of the players selected this year from #13 - #17 turn out to be a starter? It is probable. Which one? That is a gamble beyond a gamble.

So: Donte DiVincenzo is already on pace to be a value selection at #15. If the Magic could get him, that shores up the bench and is a good outcome. I see why all want to swing-for-the-fences on all picks, but good bench depth leads to wins.

drsd
RealGM

Post#1737 » by drsd » Mon Sep 28, 2020 8:07 am

MagicMatic wrote:Just sign one. 3rd string Centers grow on trees and are relatively cheap. Not worth spending any assets.

Going back to my original thought line, if RJ Hampton was still available at #24, then this trade makes a good deal of sense for Orlando.
drsd
RealGM

Post#1738 » by drsd » Mon Sep 28, 2020 8:12 am

Skybox wrote:"Tweener" needs to be retired or no longer used as criticism.

For me a Tweener is a 6'7* PF without a jump shot or a 6'7* SF without a post-up game. A 6'7" player with both a jumper and a post-up game is a potentially elite combo-forward.

This is why Gordon with a jumper could be elite. I know he puts the work in, but results are what matters.

tiderulz
RealGM

Post#1739 » by tiderulz » Mon Sep 28, 2020 2:38 pm

drsd wrote:
tiderulz wrote:Dante is in 2nd year, 9 ppg (33% from 3) as the 17th pick. I think you could find someone at 15 that could replicate his 2 years of development so far. Collins from Hawks (19), Anuby (23) Huerter (19) Okogie (20) Beasley (19) LeVert (20) Oubre (15) Rozier (16) just to name a few players around that range the past few years. Donte just doesnt do it for me

Averging statistics for Mr. #15 leads to a player with 8.3 ppg, 1.9 apg, and 3.5 rpg (obviously skewed by differing positions being averaged as well as differing talents).

Indeed from this graphic we can see that Mr. #15 should be expected to be a back-up or end-of-bench player 67% of the time.

p.s. this graphic also shows that talent scouts and G.M.s are really really good at their jobs!

Draft Express Link: PICK EXPECTATIONS

Rhetoric: will any of the players selected this year from #13 - #17 turn out to be a starter? It is probable. Which one? That is a gamble beyond a gamble.

So: Donte DiVincenzo is already on pace to be a value selection at #15. If the Magic could get him, that shores up the bench and is a good outcome. I see why all want to swing-for-the-fences on all picks, but good bench depth leads to wins.

i reject only using pick #15. i looked at players 15-22ish. you have no idea for a team if they drafted the player that they thought fit best for their team, drafted for need, drafted best measurables. Teams make mistakes drafting. But you could find a player at 15 that could replicate what Donte has developed into so far, which isnt a scrub but not an NBA starter level player yet either.
tiderulz
RealGM

Post#1740 » by tiderulz » Mon Sep 28, 2020 2:41 pm

drsd wrote:
Skybox wrote:"Tweener" needs to be retired or no longer used as criticism.

For me a Tweener is a 6'7* PF without a jump shot or a 6'7* SF without a post-up game. A 6'7" player with both a jumper and a post-up game is a potentially elite combo-forward.

This is why Gordon with a jumper could be elite. I know he puts the work in, but results are what matters.

AG is now 6 years in the league. 6 years dedicating himself to a profession, 6 years with NBA coaching. and we still talk about him getting a jump shot? we need to give up on the idea that he will be a good shooter. it would have happened by now

Return to Orlando Magic