ImageImageImageImage

Official Speculation Thread '19-'20 V: Purgatory

Moderators: UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL

j-ragg
RealGM
And1: 11,652

Re: Official Speculation Thread '19-'20 V: Purgatory 

Post#521 » by j-ragg » Wed May 20, 2020 2:20 pm

T-Cat wrote:A trade for Harrison Barnes for Vucevic straight up works on draft day! Unless we can trade Vucevic for an expiring deal like the Hornets for Batum. :D

Who knows expiring deals (and cap) might be worth gold if this has big ramifications on the cap. But I’d be happy with either deal fwiw.
BadMofoPimp wrote:Durant thinks Vooch is one of the Best Centers in the NBA. I will take his word over a couch-GM yelling at a TV.
JBSouthpaw
Analyst
And1: 1,273

Post#522 » by JBSouthpaw » Wed May 20, 2020 2:29 pm

I'd take DJ back at 2.5 for 2 years. Weather he is the 2nd or 3rd PG, it's nice to have a bit of shooting and leadership.
I'd be ok with Wes for the 3M or under a year price. As a SF, I like Ennis better, I'm not sure he opts in. he's on a minimum, he should be able to at least get a 2 yr guaranteed minimum somewhere.
All these guys can get drafted over, or bring in a bigger FA, which isn't bad.
If you get all 3 for under 8M per year, w max 2 year deals keeps them as assets.
pepe1991
RealGM
And1: 16,298

Post#523 » by pepe1991 » Thu May 21, 2020 6:16 am

j-ragg wrote:
T-Cat wrote:A trade for Harrison Barnes for Vucevic straight up works on draft day! Unless we can trade Vucevic for an expiring deal like the Hornets for Batum. :D

Who knows expiring deals (and cap) might be worth gold if this has big ramifications on the cap. But I’d be happy with either deal fwiw.

Barnes is another PF who can't play SF , with Okeke, Isaac, Aminu and Gordon, how many of them you actually need ?
His lenght of contract is same as Vuc's, he makes about $4M less, that's worth of one 9th man in rotation if it's not rookie scale contract.

Batum trade can't happen until he picks his player's option.
Without giving up multiple picks and/or assets there is no upside for Hornets to make a trade for long term commitment as they enter rebuild.

Exp contracts won't have much value imo. Entering free agency with shorter cap space, less money and players still making off the record deals to join each other, having cap space might be second to usless for anybody but top 5 biggest markets.

Straight up trades for Vuc would be names like Wiggins, Drummond, Beal + s*** loud of assets, Aldrige + assets, Rozier, Randle, sign and trade for Galinari, sign and trade Ibaka, Kevin Love...
Not sexiest names out there... Or combination of few role players like Eric Gordon and PJ Tucker ( given Houston will give up on no center nonsense)
Life is what happens when you're busy making other plans. -John Lennon
Skybox
RealGM
And1: 5,627

Post#524 » by Skybox » Thu May 21, 2020 11:08 am

pepe1991 wrote:
j-ragg wrote:

Barnes is another PF who can't play SF , with Okeke, Isaac, Aminu and Gordon, how many of them you actually need ?
His lenght of contract is same as Vuc's, he makes about $4M less, that's worth of one 9th man in rotation if it's not rookie scale contract.

Without giving up multiple picks and/or assets there is no upside for Hornets to make a trade for long term commitment as they enter rebuild.

Exp contracts won't have much value imo. Entering free agency with shorter cap space, less money and players still making off the record deals to join each other, having cap space might be second to usless for anybody but top 5 biggest markets.

Straight up trades for Vuc would be names like Wiggins, Drummond, Beal + s*** loud of assets, Aldrige + assets, Rozier, Randle, sign and trade for Galinari, sign and trade Ibaka, Kevin Love...
Not sexiest names out there... Or combination of few role players like Eric Gordon and PJ Tucker ( given Houston will give up on no center nonsense)

Love is an interesting idea I never considered, he and Isaac (& AG) might be a better fit than Vuc. Love could also play with Bamba at C. I’d go Wiggins just for the upside of 5 long, fast gazelles- even though he’s a scary deal and history. Did you say Ibaka? :o
pepe1991
RealGM
And1: 16,298

Post#525 » by pepe1991 » Thu May 21, 2020 11:24 am

Skybox wrote:
pepe1991 wrote:
j-ragg wrote:Who knows expiring deals (and cap) might be worth gold if this has big ramifications on the cap. But I’d be happy with either deal fwiw.

Love is an interesting idea I never considered, he and Isaac (& AG) might be a better fit than Vuc. Love could also play with Bamba at C. I’d go Wiggins just for the upside of 5 long, fast gazelles- even though he’s a scary deal and history. Did you say Ibaka? :o

Love is 32 and broken, yet super overpayed for another 3 seasons after this one is over ( or cancelled).

Wiggins turned 25 and never showed he is anything more than poor man Rudy Gay.
Yea, Serge Ibaka, Raptors clear books after this year.
Life is what happens when you're busy making other plans. -John Lennon
drsd
RealGM
And1: 7,924

Post#526 » by drsd » Thu May 21, 2020 3:00 pm

JBSouthpaw wrote:I'd take DJ back at 2.5 for 2 years. Weather he is the 2nd or 3rd PG, it's nice to have a bit of shooting and leadership.
I'd be ok with Wes for the 3M or under a year price. As a SF, I like Ennis better, I'm not sure he opts in. he's on a minimum, he should be able to at least get a 2 yr guaranteed minimum somewhere.
If you get all 3 for under 8M per year, w max 2 year deals keeps them as assets.

You are proposing a resign of Augustin at the vet min. That calculates to a cap cost - currently - of 1.6M even at a 2.5M per season salary line.

If Augustin would sign a 2 year vet min deal, of course the Magic should go for that.

JBSouthpaw
Analyst

Post#527 » by JBSouthpaw » Thu May 21, 2020 4:18 pm

drsd wrote:
JBSouthpaw wrote:I'd take DJ back at 2.5 for 2 years. Weather he is the 2nd or 3rd PG, it's nice to have a bit of shooting and leadership.

You are proposing a resign of Augustin at the vet min. That calculates to a cap cost - currently - of 1.6M even at a 2.5M per season salary line.
If Augustin would sign a 2 year vet min deal, of course the Magic should go for that.

He turns 33 this year, he's been here 4 years, I don't really see him chasing a ring. 2 more years playing, then he moves to the bench coaching at 35.
drsd
RealGM

Post#528 » by drsd » Thu May 21, 2020 4:26 pm

JBSouthpaw wrote:He turns 33 this year, he's been here 4 years, I don't really see him chasing a ring. 2 more years playing, then he moves to the bench coaching at 35.

By the way, just realised for cap relief only 1-year deals are allowed. To a two year deal at 2.tM a year (the lowest the Magic could offer), there would be a full cap hit on every dollar and no league payment for a cent.

That said: every fan here would accept such a deal.

He made one of there greatest moments in Orlando playoff history after all:

SOUL
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 37,618

Post#529 » by SOUL » Thu May 21, 2020 7:19 pm

I will claw my eyes out if I have to watch two more years of his dribbling.

He's been better before the stoppage happened, but I want a taller guard that can just do everything decently but isn't elite at one thing since that's asking a lot for a backup.
Skybox
RealGM

Post#530 » by Skybox » Thu May 21, 2020 7:50 pm

If I'm DJ, I'm not coming back for the minimum. I could see him sparking off the bench for a contender for a year or two. Lakers allegedly had interest last off-season.
Skybox
RealGM

Post#531 » by Skybox » Thu May 21, 2020 8:44 pm

pepe1991 wrote:
Skybox wrote:
pepe1991 wrote:

Love is 32 and broken, yet super overpayed for another 3 seasons after this one is over ( or cancelled).

Wiggins turned 25 and never showed he is anything more than poor man Rudy Gay.
Yea, Serge Ibaka, Raptors clear books after this year.

Great...Jeff Green's available too if you're constructing a Magic haunted house.
JBSouthpaw
Analyst

Post#532 » by JBSouthpaw » Thu May 21, 2020 8:57 pm

SOUL wrote:I will claw my eyes out if I have to watch two more years of his dribbling.

He's been better before the stoppage happened, but I want a taller guard that can just do everything decently but isn't elite at one thing since that's asking a lot for a backup.

Can you name 4 of those players, who will take 3M or less a year?
Xatticus
Head Coach
And1: 7,960

Post#533 » by Xatticus » Thu May 21, 2020 9:15 pm

drsd wrote:
JBSouthpaw wrote:He turns 33 this year, he's been here 4 years, I don't really see him chasing a ring. 2 more years playing, then he moves to the bench coaching at 35.

By the way, just realised for cap relief only 1-year deals are allowed. To a two year deal at 2.tM a year (the lowest the Magic could offer), there would be a full cap hit on every dollar and no league payment for a cent.

He made one of there greatest moments in Orlando playoff history after all:

I guess I'm the exception. I want him off the roster. He is just so terrible at so many things that I find to be indefensible shortcomings, especially from a veteran.

Credit to him for carving out a career in the NBA that extended well-beyond his expiration date. Charlotte invested a lottery pick in drafting him and let him walk after his rookie contract expired. In his last year in Charlotte, he was the floor general of one of the worst teams in NBA history. His career was on life support from that point until Hennigan inexplicably gave him four guaranteed years.

Did he give us a better shot at winning games this year than if we'd put the offense in Fultz' hands at the end of games? Perhaps. But that really isn't justification for his place on this roster. He is a crutch that Clifford leans on. I'd rather watch someone with talent trying and failing down the stretch as they learn than to watch an aging never-was dominate possessions as he aimlessly dribbles around trying to figure sh*t out. Augustin is an impediment to the development of our offense and his roster spot would be better used by investing in a prospect that could potentially develop into something.

As for that shot in game one, he gave it back in game three when he sabotaged any chance at a win by not boxing out/rebounding on Kawhi's missed jump shot in the final minute.
"Xatticus has always been, in my humble opinion best poster here. Should write articles or something."
-pepe1991
JBSouthpaw
Analyst

Post#534 » by JBSouthpaw » Fri May 22, 2020 12:50 am

Xatticus wrote:
drsd wrote:

I guess I'm the exception. I want him off the roster. He is just so terrible at so many things that I find to be indefensible shortcomings, especially from a veteran.

Credit to him for carving out a career in the NBA that extended well-beyond his expiration date. Charlotte invested a lottery pick in drafting him and let him walk after his rookie contract expired. In his last year in Charlotte, he was the floor general of one of the worst teams in NBA history. His career was on life support from that point until Hennigan inexplicably gave him four guaranteed years.

Did he give us a better shot at winning games this year than if we'd put the offense in Fultz' hands at the end of games? Perhaps. But that really isn't justification for his place on this roster. He is a crutch that Clifford leans on. I'd rather watch someone with talent trying and failing down the stretch as they learn than to watch an aging never-was dominate possessions as he aimlessly dribbles around trying to figure sh*t out. Augustin is an impediment to the development of our offense and his roster spot would be better used by investing in a prospect that could potentially develop into something.

As for that shot in game one, he gave it back in game three when he sabotaged any chance at a win by not boxing out/rebounding on Kawhi's missed jump shot in the final minute.

As long as Vuc is here a player like DJ is good to have, defenses have to respect DJs shot, unlike any PG we've had since Nelson.
His 4 years have been better than I expected, like you I wasn't happy, but considering what happened with EP, I was glad we had him.
If you want to watch someone with "talent" ( I think you are mistaking that word with potential), go watch the suns or MEM, they are full of that kind of "talent".
I like the fact we made the playoffs last year, and would this year. DJ has played well behind Fultz, and he doesn't have to look over his shoulder.
That all being said, I want DJ as our 3rd PG, not 1 or 2nd. Shooting PGs don't grow on trees. High % shooting PGs that is.
DJ isn't an impediment to our offense,(post all star he's only getting 20 min a game) he should be a band aide, only used when it hurts.
drsd
RealGM

Post#535 » by drsd » Fri May 22, 2020 8:52 am

SOUL wrote:I will claw my eyes out if I have to watch two more years of his dribbling. .

Augustin as a back-up PG in the NBA was his destiny. That he started 313 games in his career reflects the dire situations he was thrust towards.

Look: a 2 year 5M deal for Augustin to be a probable third-string guard is a good deal.

The PG rotation would be set at Fultz/Carter-Williams/Augustin (assuming Carter-Williams gets something like a 3 year 12M deal).

drsd
RealGM

Post#536 » by drsd » Fri May 22, 2020 8:57 am

Xatticus wrote:I guess I'm the exception. I want him off the roster. He is just so terrible at so many things that I find to be indefensible shortcomings, especially from a veteran.

It is indefensible to have ever wanted Augustin to start a single game for Orlando. But he got thrust at that role because of management failure to secure the PG rotation.

Now with Fultz (and hopefully Carter-Williams), I have no problem with Augustin getting an Outlaw / Augmon type "thank you" end-of career contract to be a deep, deep-bench player.

Augustin will not be TERRIBLE as Orlando's deep bench third-string PG. He will basically be a coach in player's uniform in that role.

p.s. I learnt something today: Stacey Augmon's middle name is Orlando !

basketballRob
RealGM
And1: 10,719

Post#537 » by basketballRob » Fri May 22, 2020 10:45 am

drsd wrote:
j-ragg wrote:So we have 10 players under contract next year, assuming Evan and Ennis opt-in. What would you guys want to see for our players that are becoming free agents?

DJ signed a 4/28 MLE deal in 2016. I'm borderline shocked he lasted the whole deal. I don't think he's a minimum player but I also don't think he's a 7 million dollar backup.

MCW is on a minimum deal but put up some good advanced stats. CARMELO has his 5 year value for 40 million dollars somehow lol but I'd like him to stick if he is on the vet minimum, I wonder if he'll start thinking the grass is greener somewhere else? He's still young.

But I liked BJ Johnson/Vic Law/Gary Clark as well. Hope some or all of them get a shot next season especially Clark if we still have a need for shooting next year (we will).

It is 11 players (Okeke is nearly certain to be signed), with the assumption that the Magic is not picking up the team option on Frazier.

With the two opt-ins, the roster "today" is:

Fultz
Fournier/Ross
Isaac/Ennis/Okeke
Gordon/Aminu
Vučević/Bamba/Birch

Currently the Magic does have a mid-level FRP, and looking at the above roster, drafting a combo guard makes a lot of sense. So I will pencil in RJ Hampton. From there, I think Carter-Williams would be resigned over Augustin. And sure why not ink Clark.

This leads to :
Fultz/Carter-Williams/Hampton
Fournier/Ross
Isaac/Ennis/Okeke
Gordon/Aminu/Clark
Vučević/Bamba/Birch

I am not sure we fans should expect much more than that.

..[/quote]I doubt the Magic give up on Frazier. I think he could be a great defensive NBA player.

Sent from my SM-G950U using RealGM mobile app
drsd
RealGM

Post#538 » by drsd » Fri May 22, 2020 1:38 pm

basketballRob wrote:I doubt the Magic give up on Frazier. I think he could be a great defensive NBA player.

Orlando will likely need a 14th and 15th man on the deep bench. Perhaps it will be Frazier. Personally I cannot see it. Clark makes more sense to me.

./.
j-ragg
RealGM
And1: 11,652

Post#539 » by j-ragg » Fri May 22, 2020 2:17 pm

Frazier sucks. I thought he’d be able to find a role in this league but he seems miles behind even someone like Iwundu.
BadMofoPimp wrote:Durant thinks Vooch is one of the Best Centers in the NBA. I will take his word over a couch-GM yelling at a TV.
basketballRob
RealGM
And1: 10,719

Post#540 » by basketballRob » Fri May 22, 2020 11:12 pm

j-ragg wrote:Frazier sucks. I thought he’d be able to find a role in this league but he seems miles behind even someone like Iwundu.
He hasn't got a chance.

Sent from my SM-G950U using RealGM mobile app

Return to Orlando Magic