yoyojw17
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,091

Re: Official Speculation Thread '19-'20 V: Purgatory 

Post#662 » by yoyojw17 » Fri Jul 3, 2020 3:12 pm

rcklsscognition wrote:
Read on Twitter

The man bun is back

Mo looks better in the last clip. can see he put in some work!
yoyojw17
Lead Assistant

Post#663 » by yoyojw17 » Fri Jul 3, 2020 3:18 pm

https://sportsnaut.com/2020/07/report-warriors-interested-in-trading-for-magic-star-f-aaron-gordon/

"According to Monte Poole of NBC Sports Bay Area, Golden State is potentially looking to use its first-round pick in the 2020 NBA Draft and the Andre Iguodala trade exception to acquire Gordon from Orlando.

Golden State was linked to the Bay Area native ahead of February’s trade deadline. The team was said to be interested in dealing D’Angelo Russell to Orlando for Gordon, but Orlando backed out. Russell was ultimately traded to the Minnesota Timberwolves in a deal that saw Andrew Wiggins head back to the Warriors.

The Warriors added a $17.19 million trade exception in the Iguodala deal with the Memphis Grizzlies last summer. It expires in October. For his part, Gordon is set to make $18.1 million next season. Mathematically, a deal of this ilk would work."

I still have tons of high hopes for Gordon... and I know we will see him flourish over there.... we'll shed a few tears... but damn that wouldn't be a bad deal at all. Top pick and cleared cap space.
j-ragg
RealGM
And1: 11,652

Post#664 » by j-ragg » Fri Jul 3, 2020 3:27 pm

Only guy I'd really want for AG in this draft is Edwards. He'd look so good in GSW but even I can't deny that trade would be some crazy good value, and would make an already expensive team pricier.
BadMofoPimp wrote:Durant thinks Vooch is one of the Best Centers in the NBA. I will take his word over a couch-GM yelling at a TV.
yoyojw17
Lead Assistant

Post#665 » by yoyojw17 » Fri Jul 3, 2020 4:15 pm

yoyojw17 wrote:https://sportsnaut.com/2020/07/report-warriors-interested-in-trading-for-magic-star-f-aaron-gordon/

"According to Monte Poole of NBC Sports Bay Area, Golden State is potentially looking to use its first-round pick in the 2020 NBA Draft and the Andre Iguodala trade exception to acquire Gordon from Orlando.

Golden State was linked to the Bay Area native ahead of February’s trade deadline. The team was said to be interested in dealing D’Angelo Russell to Orlando for Gordon, but Orlando backed out. Russell was ultimately traded to the Minnesota Timberwolves in a deal that saw Andrew Wiggins head back to the Warriors.

The Warriors added a $17.19 million trade exception in the Iguodala deal with the Memphis Grizzlies last summer. It expires in October. For his part, Gordon is set to make $18.1 million next season. Mathematically, a deal of this ilk would work."

I still have tons of high hopes for Gordon... and I know we will see him flourish over there.... we'll shed a few tears... but damn that wouldn't be a bad deal at all. Top pick and cleared cap space.

There’s also the fact that as the Magic surged late in the season it was in large part thanks to a vastly improved Gordon. He was jetting up and down the court, shooting at a sweet clip, and attacking the hoop like a man possessed. He had also emerged as a legitimate playmaking four, dropping 6.7 dimes per-contest across his last dozen. Although each season he has made an incremental improvement to his assist rate, the absurd 28.0% that AG accumulated during this closing stretch is more than double his career average and over 10 points greater than the career-best mark he established this season (17.2%). He wasn’t exactly John Stockton incarnate, but he was a game-impacting force unleashed in a new and exciting way.

Orlando’s closing stretch showed that there is a different beast lurking within the current lineup, one with far sharper teeth offensively than they’ve ever been given credit for. Gordon, undoubtedly, was one of the straws stirring that potent drink. In that context his current contract represents tremendous value, with the possibility of even better production still very much alive. Well run teams don’t just toss aside legitimate NBA talent; instead, they find a way to support, nourish and ultimately develop it. There’s evidence to suggest that head coach Steve Clifford is starting to figure out how to achieve just that, and if he does the Magic stand to reap the rewards.

https://www.orlandopinstripedpost.com/2020/7/3/21305244/orlando-magic-aaron-gordon

Cuz the best is possibly still yet to come. decisions .... decisions
yoyojw17
Lead Assistant

Post#666 » by yoyojw17 » Fri Jul 3, 2020 4:17 pm

j-ragg wrote:Only guy I'd really want for AG in this draft is Edwards. He'd look so good in GSW but even I can't deny that trade would be some crazy good value, and would make an already expensive team pricier.

Same!

Subconsciously that's the outcome i was thinking of too. Wiseman and Lamelo.... ehhhhh? That's above it.
zaymon
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,155

Post#667 » by zaymon » Fri Jul 3, 2020 4:21 pm

yoyojw17 wrote:https://sportsnaut.com/2020/07/report-warriors-interested-in-trading-for-magic-star-f-aaron-gordon/

I wonder if its true, but its funny that we backed out of Gordon- Dlo trade. I dont like Russell, to me he is overhyped and overpaid, but many people here would love the deal.
Regarding future possible deal i would hate if we aquire Wiggins, he would kill our finances for a long time and there is no sign he is a good starter right now.
I dont like the talent at the top of this years draft but Edwards has positional size and elite athletecism, Lamelo has some chance to be a lead ball handler ( we could play him as a 3 and hide defensively becouse Fultz is so strong), Hayes could be very good in double point guard lineups, Okoro is big, strong, can handle the ball and fills our need as a wing defender, Avdija would propably fit better next to Isaac than Gordon and Vassell is exactly type of defender we like.
My money is on Banchero going number 1 !
j-ragg
RealGM
And1: 11,652

Post#668 » by j-ragg » Fri Jul 3, 2020 4:58 pm

yoyojw17 wrote:
j-ragg wrote:Only guy I'd really want for AG in this draft is Edwards. He'd look so good in GSW but even I can't deny that trade would be some crazy good value, and would make an already expensive team pricier.

Same!

Subconsciously that's the outcome i was thinking of too. Wiseman and Lamelo.... ehhhhh? That's above it.

Yeah after Edwards the other guys I'd like in this draft are in range to where we could trade up a few spots and be within their reach. Again not saying it isn't great value for a deal just some of the people at the top I'd stay away from/would be worst fit imaginable.
BadMofoPimp wrote:Durant thinks Vooch is one of the Best Centers in the NBA. I will take his word over a couch-GM yelling at a TV.
Driguez
General Manager
And1: 2,022

Post#669 » by Driguez » Fri Jul 3, 2020 8:03 pm

Sauces!? :gossip:
"We all we got"- SVG
rcklsscognition
RealGM
And1: 7,135

Post#670 » by rcklsscognition » Fri Jul 3, 2020 9:58 pm

Oladipo sitting out. Miami closing down facility. We're going to win the title. Wes Iwundu is gonna be mvp.
Knightro
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 24,350

Post#671 » by Knightro » Fri Jul 3, 2020 9:59 pm

Read on Twitter
Xatticus
Head Coach
And1: 7,959

Post#672 » by Xatticus » Sat Jul 4, 2020 12:37 am

j-ragg wrote:
yoyojw17 wrote:

Same!

Yeah after Edwards the other guys I'd like in this draft are in range to where we could trade up a few spots and be within their reach. Again not saying it isn't great value for a deal just some of the people at the top I'd stay away from/would be worst fit imaginable.

This.

There are certainly some players in this draft that I like, but I just don't see anyone that would justify parting with Gordon. For me, that would be a poor use of assets. I don't really even like Edwards that much. His basketball IQ is just so low. He can get just about wherever he wants to, but he looks so much like a guy that is emulating what he has seen as opposed to someone that is picking up skills to grind his opponents to dust.

Someone is going to be there where we pick that I'd be happy to get. I'd actually like to add another mid-to-late first this year. There are some intriguing guys that don't tick all the boxes, but have some skills or the physical tools where you can see a path to success.
"Xatticus has always been, in my humble opinion best poster here. Should write articles or something."
-pepe1991
basketballRob
RealGM
And1: 10,715

Post#673 » by basketballRob » Sat Jul 4, 2020 1:23 am

If Golden State used the traded player and first, who else could they get in that price range? I'm thinking we'd have to add our first. The traded player exception is valuable.

I like Edwards, and he'll only be 4 months older than Dwight when we drafted him.

Sent from my SM-G950U using RealGM mobile app
cedric76
RealGM
And1: 3,188

Post#674 » by cedric76 » Sat Jul 4, 2020 6:29 am

yoyojw17 wrote:

There’s also the fact that as the Magic surged late in the season it was in large part thanks to a vastly improved Gordon. He was jetting up and down the court, shooting at a sweet clip, and attacking the hoop like a man possessed. He had also emerged as a legitimate playmaking four, dropping 6.7 dimes per-contest across his last dozen. Although each season he has made an incremental improvement to his assist rate, the absurd 28.0% that AG accumulated during this closing stretch is more than double his career average and over 10 points greater than the career-best mark he established this season (17.2%). He wasn’t exactly John Stockton incarnate, but he was a game-impacting force unleashed in a new and exciting way.

Orlando’s closing stretch showed that there is a different beast lurking within the current lineup, one with far sharper teeth offensively than they’ve ever been given credit for. Gordon, undoubtedly, was one of the straws stirring that potent drink. In that context his current contract represents tremendous value, with the possibility of even better production still very much alive. Well run teams don’t just toss aside legitimate NBA talent; instead, they find a way to support, nourish and ultimately develop it. There’s evidence to suggest that head coach Steve Clifford is starting to figure out how to achieve just that, and if he does the Magic stand to reap the rewards.

https://www.orlandopinstripedpost.com/2020/7/3/21305244/orlando-magic-aaron-gordon

That would be a perfect trade

Ag for a top 5 pick solves so many problem

#with Evan opting in and AG off our books, we could become a huge FA destination

Core group

Fultz
2020 1st
Isaac
Mo
Chuma

Ross
Vuc
Chief
Draft Carter
Sign monk
Trade Cole for a forward
Let chuma+fultz go
Offer goga a 1+1 deal

unleash Jett next seaon

Go Magic
jezzerinho
Starter
And1: 1,506

Post#675 » by jezzerinho » Sat Jul 4, 2020 2:36 pm

I don't think there's a one-size-fits-all solution to the roster.

Fournier and Gordon aren't very compatible
Fultz and Isaac starting puts extra pressure on shooters
Gordon and Isaac aren't compatible
A lineup without Fournier and Isaac showed much improved offense and bad defense.
Vooch showed some compatibility with the faster, high-scoring No-Fournier offense but the jury is still out.
Bamba isn't ready
Where does Chuma ultimately fit?

Trading AG for a pick - it might be the start of a reshaped Magic but on its own I don't think will move the needle massively and comes with the risk of the pick being a bust.

It's very confusing to know what changes to make. And with Covid, China, race for Giannis, player-constructed superteams, draftees not delivering till 2nd contract.... Being a GM must be pretty confusing too.
drsd
RealGM
And1: 7,916

Post#676 » by drsd » Sat Jul 4, 2020 3:54 pm

jezzerinho wrote:It's very confusing to know what changes to make. And with Covid, China, race for Giannis, player-constructed superteams, draftees not delivering till 2nd contract.... Being a GM must be pretty confusing too.

Also to add: the massively defining cap that will make all teams hard pressed to stay out of the luxury tax.
The Orlando Magic accountants might be the most important employees this off-season.

drsd
RealGM
And1: 7,916

Post#677 » by drsd » Sat Jul 4, 2020 4:11 pm

yoyojw17 wrote:"According to Monte Poole of NBC Sports Bay Area, Golden State is potentially looking to use its first-round pick in the 2020 NBA Draft and the Andre Iguodala trade exception to acquire Gordon from Orlando.

Given the flat salary cap, for Orlando to trade Gordon for a FRP will save between 9.5M (overall first) and 11.2M (3rd pick savings). Let's call the player Mr. Edwards.Let's assume the Magic let Augustin, Iwundu, Clark, and Frazier all walk, and that Ennis and Fournier opt in to their deals. Add to that Okeke on a 16th slot contract and another rookie also around a 16th slot contact (2.7M each); let's call the 2020 pick Mr. RJ Hampton:
Orlando would start the off-season with:

Fultz/Hampton
Fournier/Edwards
Isaac/Ross/Ennis
Aminu/Okeke
Vučević/Bamba/Birch

That will be something like 115M for a commitment to 12 players. Obviously the team needs to negotiate with Carter-WIlliams. If he were to resign for league minimum money, this would leave on last roster slot - also on a likely league minimum deal. Said player would undoubtably be a PF.

So OUR 2020/21 Orlando Magic would be at 119M in salary (on a 109M salary cap and a 123M tax line) with this depth chart:
Fultz/Carter-WIlliams/Hampton
Fournier/Edwards
Isaac/Ross/Ennis
Aminu/Okeke/LLE-vet
Vučević/Bamba/Birch

That team saves enough money to stay out of financial penalties and is basically similar in quality to this year's team. Good defense and below-average outside shooting. But it is more of a reset than a rebuild, and I think many of us could get behind such a team.

This thought exercise illustrates how valuable rookie contracts will be over the next 3 years, and thus, I can see Orlando carrying three next year.

EDIT: I forgot that even though Mozgov will cost Orlando 5.6M next year, that is not capped-money and my above math thus takes the Magic cap number to around 113M.

rcklsscognition
RealGM
And1: 7,135

Post#678 » by rcklsscognition » Sat Jul 4, 2020 4:18 pm

Magic quotes from ESPN regarding the situation:

Nikola Vucevic, Orlando Magic center: "I spent every moment with my kid and my wife, so it's something I very much enjoyed about this whole situation. But it is what it is; we all have to make that sacrifice and go in and do our jobs and finish the season."

D.J. Augustin, Magic guard: "Leaving family is probably the most challenging [part] for me, especially right now. A few weeks ago, maybe three weeks ago, my father-in-law passed away. So my wife -- she really needs me right now. But at the same time, she understands what I need to do for my job and for our family."

Markelle Fultz, Magic guard: "I think as long as we're safe, this is something that we all need. Basketball is a big part of a lot of people's lives. Not just ours, but our families, people that just watch it. ... I feel as though we can make it the best of both worlds, as long as we're doing everything that we can do for not only ourselves but standing up for what's right in this world.

"We had a chance to get on a call and just trying to help people learn [about] the right to vote. To have a chance to vote, to register to vote, so they can vote and make a big change. I feel as though that's the first step."
RookieStar
RealGM
And1: 5,818

Post#679 » by RookieStar » Sat Jul 4, 2020 8:09 pm

rcklsscognition wrote:Magic quotes from ESPN regarding the situation:

Nikola Vucevic, Orlando Magic center: "I spent every moment with my kid and my wife, so it's something I very much enjoyed about this whole situation. But it is what it is; we all have to make that sacrifice and go in and do our jobs and finish the season."

D.J. Augustin, Magic guard: "Leaving family is probably the most challenging [part] for me, especially right now. A few weeks ago, maybe three weeks ago, my father-in-law passed away. So my wife -- she really needs me right now. But at the same time, she understands what I need to do for my job and for our family."

Markelle Fultz, Magic guard: "I think as long as we're safe, this is something that we all need. Basketball is a big part of a lot of people's lives. Not just ours, but our families, people that just watch it. ... I feel as though we can make it the best of both worlds, as long as we're doing everything that we can do for not only ourselves but standing up for what's right in this world.

"We had a chance to get on a call and just trying to help people learn [about] the right to vote. To have a chance to vote, to register to vote, so they can vote and make a big change. I feel as though that's the first step."

Glad to know our players aren't shying away from the resumption.
Magic#1
General Manager
And1: 1,108

Post#680 » by Magic#1 » Sat Jul 4, 2020 10:54 pm

yoyojw17 wrote:

I would prefer to not give up Gordon, but if we're going to take another step forward, we're going to have to take a risk somewhere. Potentially getting Edwards would be a good risk. I agree that he is the only one at the top of the draft who I think really fits what we need, but I would be willing to give up a good bit to get him. Even though AG probably would flourish with the Warriors, Edwards ceiling is still higher and is the type of player we should take a risk for if there is a deal to be made. The ceiling for this team as currently constructed is maybe a 3-5 seed. But you put together a core of Markelle, Edwards, JI and Bamba and some of our other role players, you at least can see the potential for a legit contender.

Return to Orlando Magic