ImageImageImageImage

Magic had ‘internal’ interest in Dinwiddie at deadline

Moderators: Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL, UCF

tiderulz
RealGM
And1: 14,104

Re: Magic had ‘internal’ interest in Dinwiddie at deadline 

Post#21 » by tiderulz » Thu Feb 27, 2020 3:16 pm

EAS Law wrote:
tiderulz wrote:
MagicFan101 wrote:
I can’t speak for others but no, this is not what I criticize Evan for ...

But to address your stat ... Outside of Isaac we live by team defense more than individual lockdowns. So such comparisons for anyone on the roster don’t mean much for me.

but isnt team defense one of the issues with AG. that his strength is individual defense not team defense.

I have literally never seen this mentioned in the years I’ve been on this board.

The knock on AG is always his inefficiency and inconsistent shooting from three. I get not being on the bandwagon for most of our guys, but stuff like this is a little much.

then you dont read much on here. AG being lauded for his individual defense and noticed for not great team defense is what is talked about him a lot. and pointed to why Isaac should be the PF of the team
EAS Law
Analyst
And1: 3,456

Post#22 » by EAS Law » Thu Feb 27, 2020 3:19 pm

tiderulz wrote:
EAS Law wrote:
tiderulz wrote:but isnt team defense one of the issues with AG. that his strength is individual defense not team defense.

I have literally never seen this mentioned in the years I’ve been on this board.

The knock on AG is always his inefficiency and inconsistent shooting from three. I get not being on the bandwagon for most of our guys, but stuff like this is a little much.

then you dont read much on here. AG being lauded for his individual defense and noticed for not great team defense is what is talked about him a lot. and pointed to why Isaac should be the PF of the team

Whatever you say. I forgot that AG is the latest whipping boy around here. We got tired of Vuc and Evan I guess.
The Effect
Magic Forum Mock Draft Co-Champ
And1: 2,053

Post#23 » by The Effect » Thu Feb 27, 2020 3:32 pm

Why would the Pacers want AG when they already have sabonis?
Better question, what can we include with AG to get sabonis back??
Optimus_Steel
RealGM
And1: 11,147

Post#24 » by Optimus_Steel » Thu Feb 27, 2020 3:54 pm

pepe1991 wrote:Good sign for summer.
DInwiddie and sign and trade for Harris for Gordon.

Get it done.

Pacers don't really have anybody but Brogdon that interests me.
They have Turner that is dead salary given how much better Sabonis is.

This Dinwiddie for AG idea makes too much sense thus wont happen lol.
aka: prorl
MagicFan101
RealGM
And1: 6,498

Post#25 » by MagicFan101 » Thu Feb 27, 2020 4:39 pm

tiderulz wrote:
MagicFan101 wrote:
tiderulz wrote:isnt that what Fournier is criticized about. AG scored 25 and Collins scored 26. He gave up more than he scored?

I can’t speak for others but no, this is not what I criticize Evan for ...

But to address your stat ... Outside of Isaac we live by team defense more than individual lockdowns. So such comparisons for anyone on the roster don’t mean much for me.

but isnt team defense one of the issues with AG. that his strength is individual defense not team defense.

I’m not here to play favorites between Evan and AG.

Anyone not named Isaac or Fultz is not part of the long term plan for me. Others can find a role based on who gets moved first, but no one else is safe.

... even Isaac and Fultz have things to prove but the luxury of their rookie deals make them a special case for now.
MagicMatic
RealGM
And1: 12,913

Post#26 » by MagicMatic » Thu Feb 27, 2020 4:57 pm

The only reason people are pointing to AG is because the FO have already made the decision to keep Vuc around by handing him a large contract. IMO that was the big decision between the two. Why? Because they drafted Bamba the year prior and must not believe he has what it takes enough to supplant Vuc. Why else keep stockpiling money into bigs? Clifford also wants to play slow, that doesn’t benefit AG 75% of the time he’s on the court save for the occasional game.

That decision makes it easier to get rid of AG combined with having Isaac, Aminu, and Okeke. There are far too many holes in the rest of the roster for it to make any sense keeping him.

I don’t mind Dinwiddie, but this move doesn’t make sense at face value unless we were to add Harris or someone else that stretches the floor.
OrlChamps2030
General Manager
And1: 4,158

Post#27 » by OrlChamps2030 » Thu Feb 27, 2020 5:37 pm

MagicMatic wrote:The only reason people are pointing to AG is because the FO have already made the decision to keep Vuc around by handing him a large contract. IMO that was the big decision between the two. Why? Because they drafted Bamba the year prior and must not believe he has what it takes enough to supplant Vuc. Why else keep stockpiling money into bigs? Clifford also wants to play slow, that doesn’t benefit AG 75% of the time he’s on the court save for the occasional game.

That decision makes it easier to get rid of AG combined with having Isaac, Aminu, and Okeke. There are far too many holes in the rest of the roster for it to make any sense keeping him.

I don’t mind Dinwiddie, but this move doesn’t make sense at face value unless we were to add Harris or someone else that stretches the floor.

There is some kind of alternative timeline out there where we didn’t invest $100 million in Vucevic and we have Isaac/Bamba manning the 5 with AG/Isaac logging major minutes together as a 4/5 tandem.

I agree with you though. No one wants to trade AG because he’s bad. Infact it’s the opposite.. this roster has too many holes that he can’t fill and he can’t efficiently play the role he needs to be in on this team due to fit.

He’s a victim of poor roster construction and as the odd man out we need to extract value from him in order to move forward in fixing the roster.
MagicFan101
RealGM

Post#28 » by MagicFan101 » Thu Feb 27, 2020 5:56 pm

Bring DJ back on a small deal:

Fultz, DJ
Dinwiddie, Ross
Harris, Chuma
Isaac, Aminu
Vuc, Bamba

+ 2020 FRP + whatever we can get for Evan

Still no superstar but I’ll get a bit more excited for that team.
Skin
RealGM
And1: 8,636

Post#29 » by Skin » Thu Feb 27, 2020 6:13 pm

Late bloomer. I dunno about this... I imagine he'd help (off the bench)...but I need to learn more about him and how he fits in WeHam's plans. If they are envisioning our future long term starting SG, then I'll have some reservations. A starting 2 guard next to Fultz that shoots 30% from 3 with an unconscious trigger sounds dreadful.

Seems like his efficiencies have gone down with the rise in minutes and ppg. Is it a sign that he's just the best available scorer on a bad team?

I'm sure being 6'6 with a 7'3 wingspan is the leading eason why WeHam wanted him. WeHam seems to devalue 2nd rounders, but here's another guy picked at 38 who made it in the league. Surprise, surprise.

Although the Nets with K.Irving, C.Levert, K.Durant, A.Gordon and J.Allen sounds like an undefeatable NBA2K team.
Jett Howard, Franz Wagner, Paolo Banchero, Jonathan Isaac, Wendell Carter Jr
Anthony Black, Cole Anthony, Jalen Suggs, Joe Ingles, Chuma Okeke, Mo Wagner, Goga Bitadze LESSSGOOO!!!
orlando_joe
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,659

Post#30 » by orlando_joe » Thu Feb 27, 2020 7:10 pm

MagicFan101 wrote:Bring DJ back on a small deal:

Fultz, DJ
Dinwiddie, Ross
Harris, Chuma
Isaac, Aminu
Vuc, Bamba

to me replacing ag and Fournier with Dinwiddie and harris makes magic worse..
cedric76
RealGM
And1: 3,184

Post#31 » by cedric76 » Thu Feb 27, 2020 7:15 pm

orlando_joe wrote:

Fultz, DJ
Dinwiddie, Ross
Harris, Chuma
Isaac, Aminu
Vuc, Bamba

Bringing back DJ makes me want to puke
Grayson or Monk? Bring the cheapest

unleash Jett next seaon
MagicFan101
RealGM

Post#32 » by MagicFan101 » Thu Feb 27, 2020 7:18 pm

orlando_joe wrote:

Fultz, DJ
Dinwiddie, Ross
Harris, Chuma
Isaac, Aminu
Vuc, Bamba

That isn’t what the story is or what I posted.

You replace AG alone with Dinwiddie and Harris.

You replace Evan in a deal to be determined later.
MagicFan101
RealGM

Post#33 » by MagicFan101 » Thu Feb 27, 2020 7:19 pm

cedric76 wrote:
orlando_joe wrote:

Fultz, DJ
Dinwiddie, Ross
Harris, Chuma
Isaac, Aminu
Vuc, Bamba

Bringing back DJ makes me want to puke

Insert -> “Sign vet PG”

You’re allowed to have thoughts of your own.
zaymon
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,152

Post#34 » by zaymon » Thu Feb 27, 2020 7:31 pm

I want the other Nets player. Caris Levert. There was even a Brooklyn fan not so long ago asking if we would deal Gordon for LeVert and frp. I would say its a tempting deal. Dont know if i would do it, but i would consider it.

Fultz/ Fournier/ LeVert/ Isaac/ Vucevic

More shooting, ball handling, less defence, but i think Isaac will cover for it.
My money is on Banchero going number 1 !
MagicMatic
RealGM
And1: 12,913

Post#35 » by MagicMatic » Thu Feb 27, 2020 7:35 pm

zaymon wrote:I want the other Nets player. Caris Levert. There was even a Brooklyn fan not so long ago asking if we would deal Gordon for LeVert and frp. I would say its a tempting deal. Dont know if i would do it, but i would consider it.

More shooting, ball handling, less defence, but i think Isaac will cover for it.

Doubt he’s on the table.

Dinwiddie is being discussed likely for a reason. They just didn’t pull the trigger with what was being offered after kicking the tires.
cedric76
RealGM
And1: 3,184

Post#36 » by cedric76 » Thu Feb 27, 2020 7:36 pm

drsd wrote:
cedric76 wrote:
drsd wrote:
Let's say Fournier opts out and the Magic do not resign Augustin, Birch or Iwundu, then this trade could make sense rotationally and still be within the salary cap. Harris is a very clear replacement over Iwundu, and that is value.

DInwiddie starts at SG, but can also play PG when Fultz goes to the bench. The main rotation could be:

Fultz/Carter-Williams/G-leagurer or vet FA
DInwiddie/Ross/Frazier
Isaac/Harris/draft-pick
Aminu/Okeke/Clark
Vučević/Bamba/vet FA

You can't have a trade involving a sign and trade + a player under contract

So this csnt be done

I believe it is allowed if broken to two-separate trades (that are required to be linked). For example: Gordon for DInwiddie as trade 1 and Harris for the right to swap 2nd round picks as trade 2.

Dinwiddie for Gordon doesn't work financially, this is why it s not doable

Only way would be

Gordon for dinwiddie +musa+tinson(after nets pick his option) +lukawu

I would do that

Then offer a 2 yr max contract to Evan (1+1 with team option which orlando would not pick ) something like 33M for the 1st year.
Makes sense for both parties, Evan makes an extra 14M and can test free agency when teams have money to splash.

Fultz. Dinwiddie. Mcw
Evan. Dinwiddie. Ross
Chuma. Evan. Ennis
Isaac. Aminu
Vuc. Mo. Birch
Grayson or Monk? Bring the cheapest

unleash Jett next seaon
spinedoc
RealGM
And1: 4,164

Post#37 » by spinedoc » Thu Feb 27, 2020 8:02 pm

zaymon wrote:I want the other Nets player. Caris Levert. There was even a Brooklyn fan not so long ago asking if we would deal Gordon for LeVert and frp. I would say its a tempting deal. Dont know if i would do it, but i would consider it.

Absolutely, but I'm biased, and of course a Michigan fan. I can't wait for March Madness.
orlando_joe
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,659

Post#38 » by orlando_joe » Thu Feb 27, 2020 8:45 pm

MagicFan101 wrote:
orlando_joe wrote:

Fultz, DJ
Dinwiddie, Ross
Harris, Chuma
Isaac, Aminu
Vuc, Bamba

That isn’t what the story is or what I posted.

You replace AG alone with Dinwiddie and Harris.

You replace Evan in a deal to be determined later.

not sure if Fournier just opts out there would be any money to sign any one else and I am sure harris wants more then what he makes now to sign with magic..magic would be over cap or real close to it
tiderulz
RealGM
And1: 14,104

Post#39 » by tiderulz » Thu Feb 27, 2020 9:08 pm

honest question, how is Levert different than Fournier? except 1-2 years younger? they defend close to the same, he shoots the 3 worse. 2-pt FG% much worse. his PER and TS pretty bad.
Skybox
RealGM
And1: 5,602

Post#40 » by Skybox » Thu Feb 27, 2020 9:12 pm

Harris is far from a throw-in to a Dinwoodie deal. He will cost us (I'd definitely explore it but he's definitely not salary filler. His upcoming payday might, in part, be what makes Dinwoodie possibly available...Harris' shooting is much more complementary to Kyrie and Durant. Dinwoodie goes off when he's the Kyrie.

Return to Orlando Magic