ImageImageImageImage

Regular Season Game 63: Orlando Magic (27-35) at Minnesota Timberwolves (19-42) - 8:00pm ET

Moderators: UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL

Max Power
Head Coach
And1: 1,204

Re: Regular Season Game 63: Orlando Magic (27-35) at Minnesota Timberwolves (19-42) - 8:00pm ET 

Post#221 » by Max Power » Sat Mar 7, 2020 3:50 am

A much needed win. I didn’t miss Fournier at all. Everyone stepped up. This team is capable of being better without Fournier. A solid, fundamentally sound SG can keep this team going in the right direction. I think it’s very much time to move on from him. Most importantly, I hope Steve Clifford is ok. Get well soon coach!!
You look confused...let me fill you in.
SHAQ32
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,947

Re: Regular Season Game 63: Orlando Magic (27-35) at Minnesota Timberwolves (19-42) - 8:00pm ET 

Post#222 » by SHAQ32 » Sat Mar 7, 2020 3:56 am

Stuff wrote:
SHAQ32 wrote:Wolves announcer sounds a lot like the great Tom Tolbert of NBA on NBC fame
Tolbert also played for the Magic for a minute.

That's right... I'm such a casual.
Xatticus
Head Coach
And1: 7,960

Post#223 » by Xatticus » Sat Mar 7, 2020 3:56 am

ChosenSavior wrote:Really hope Cliff is okay. Looks like he had to be taken to the hospital. Good win tonight. Had a lot of the guys play well for us in this game.

I know I've been ragging on Evan but if he would just focus on being more of a catch and shoot guy who attacks defenders who close out on him without the need to dribble the ball so much, I would love him on this team. I don't know if the willingness to sacrifice for the betterment of the team is in him.

Seriously... I think he is as concerned about his role in the offensive hierarchy as any player that has ever worn a Magic uniform. I think he feels the need to reaffirm his status incessantly. I think he sees teammates as potential threats and goes into 'hold my beer' mode in response to any perceived threat. I've had this belief ever since his post-game interview after Gordon went off for 41 points against Brooklyn two season ago. It was just such an irrational talking point after that game. He was bothered that Gordon went off. Harris and Oladipo were gone. This was his team and Gordon was the new threat.

It's just such a breath of fresh air to see our ball movement when Fournier isn't out there imposing himself on the game, but I have every expectation that he will be retained for something near $20M per year. This front office has done nothing to address the position and nothing they have done leads me to believe that they will have a willingness to actually let Fournier walk if he opts out.
"Xatticus has always been, in my humble opinion best poster here. Should write articles or something."
-pepe1991
Xatticus
Head Coach
And1: 7,960

Post#224 » by Xatticus » Sat Mar 7, 2020 3:58 am

The Real Dalic wrote:Also, still don't get starting Savior over Iwundu. He's so much better it's not even close. I wanted Savior to start before because he was the "big move." But Iwundu is the better and more active player.

Well... both got the start tonight, but we got really good minutes from Iwundu per usual.
"Xatticus has always been, in my humble opinion best poster here. Should write articles or something."
-pepe1991
The Real Dalic
RealGM
And1: 7,068

Post#225 » by The Real Dalic » Sat Mar 7, 2020 4:02 am

Xatticus wrote:
The Real Dalic wrote:Also, still don't get starting Savior over Iwundu. He's so much better it's not even close. I wanted Savior to start before because he was the "big move." But Iwundu is the better and more active player.

Well... both got the start tonight, but we got really good minutes from Iwundu per usual.

Right, but I would like to see Iwundu get the start from now on and send Savior to the bench. The only thing I like about Savior is his rebounding. That's pretty much it.
God. Family. Country. Basketball.
EAS Law
Analyst
And1: 3,456

Post#226 » by EAS Law » Sat Mar 7, 2020 4:14 am

What happened to Cliff?
OrlandoNed
Head Coach
And1: 4,776

Post#227 » by OrlandoNed » Sat Mar 7, 2020 4:23 am

Xatticus wrote:
ChosenSavior wrote:Really hope Cliff is okay. Looks like he had to be taken to the hospital. Good win tonight. Had a lot of the guys play well for us in this game.

I know I've been ragging on Evan but if he would just focus on being more of a catch and shoot guy who attacks defenders who close out on him without the need to dribble the ball so much, I would love him on this team. I don't know if the willingness to sacrifice for the betterment of the team is in him.

Seriously... I think he is as concerned about his role in the offensive hierarchy as any player that has ever worn a Magic uniform. I think he feels the need to reaffirm his status incessantly. I think he sees teammates as potential threats and goes into 'hold my beer' mode in response to any perceived threat. I've had this belief ever since his post-game interview after Gordon went off for 41 points against Brooklyn two season ago. It was just such an irrational talking point after that game. He was bothered that Gordon went off. Harris and Oladipo were gone. This was his team and Gordon was the new threat.

It's just such a breath of fresh air to see our ball movement when Fournier isn't out there imposing himself on the game, but I have every expectation that he will be retained for something near $20M per year. This front office has done nothing to address the position and nothing they have done leads me to believe that they will have a willingness to actually let Fournier walk if he opts out.

I’m glad I’m not the only one who remembers that post game from Fournier. It was an extremely entertaining game with AG playing arguably his best game at the time, and the first thing out of Evan’s mouth was cracking on the lack of passing.

Evan has a great skill set for the modern NBA, but he definitely qualifies as an irrational confidence guy like JR Smith or Dion Waiters. Not nearly as good or as important as he thinks he is. He’d be so much better if his game matched his brain. Fournier has the game of Kyle Korver, plays like JR and thinks he’s Jordan.

I’d rather have a less talented starting SG if it meant he knew his place.
Def Swami
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 15,149

Post#228 » by Def Swami » Sat Mar 7, 2020 4:36 am

Really hope Clifford is okay.

We took advantage of a really bad defensive performance by the Wolves. Fultz is pretty good when he's got the ball in his hands and going north-south. Vucevic ate up their small lineups.
cedric76
RealGM
And1: 3,189

Post#229 » by cedric76 » Sat Mar 7, 2020 7:53 am

3ddman23 wrote:Fultz comes in gets the ball from out of bounds. Comes of a screen hands it to Augustine and gets planted on the corner while Augustine and vuc run a pick and roll lol. It's just crazy

This drives me insane. I can't stand to see DJ on the floor with fultz anymore
Draft Carter
Sign monk
Trade Cole for a forward
Let chuma+fultz go
Offer Harris and goga a 1+1 deal

unleash Jett next seaon

Go Magic

Suggs, AB, Carter
Monk, Jett, Harris
Franz, Jett, Houstan
Paolo, Moe, (Cole trade)
Wcj, JI, goga
drsd
RealGM
And1: 7,918

Post#230 » by drsd » Sat Mar 7, 2020 8:03 am

All road wins are good wins. But watching Fultz Dominate both sides of the ball is fun.
drsd
RealGM
And1: 7,918

Post#231 » by drsd » Sat Mar 7, 2020 8:03 am

EAS Law wrote:What happened to Cliff?

Dehydration. He is already released and is already cleared for duties.
pepe1991
RealGM
And1: 16,293

Post#232 » by pepe1991 » Sat Mar 7, 2020 8:13 am

i see jumping onto conclusions after beating team that lost 21 of of last 25 games is in full effect.

Wasn't Gordon breaking out, becomming allstar, after he dominated Hawks G league squad? 8-)

Better without Evan, he hates his teammates and wants to make them look worst

What a loud of crap, holy Jesus. :banghead:

Good win, move on. Let's see can they hang with Houston.

Evan's qoute about win against Nets where Gordon scored 41 ( in game Hair did not play)

”I’m glad we got a `W’ but there is a lesson in this game,” said Evan Fournier, who finished with 28 points. ”We got away from moving the ball and we can’t have that. We’re not the type of team that can play (isolation) ball or pick-and-roll, pick-and-roll. Our strength is body movement and ball movement. We basically waited three quarters to do it.”

Magic were indeed horrific isolation team that year.
Magic that game trailed by 7 points entering 4th quater.
Magic just 4 days prior to that game lost to Nets because of 4th quater collaps in game Vučević scored 41 points.

Contest matters, not to hating trolls tho.
Life is what happens when you're busy making other plans. -John Lennon
MagicStarwipe
RealGM
And1: 12,050

Post#233 » by MagicStarwipe » Sat Mar 7, 2020 11:28 am

It's only hating when it's players you like being criticised I guess.
RealGM Classics - Oladipo's "rude" celebration comes back to bite him: viewtopic.php?f=25&t=1358414
The Real Dalic
RealGM

Post#234 » by The Real Dalic » Sat Mar 7, 2020 11:39 am

pepe1991 wrote:i see jumping onto conclusions after beating team that lost 21 of of last 25 games is in full effect.

Wasn't Gordon breaking out, becomming allstar, after he dominated Hawks G league squad? 8-)

Evan's qoute about win against Nets where Gordon scored 41 ( in game Hair did not play)

”I’m glad we got a `W’ but there is a lesson in this game,” said Evan Fournier, who finished with 28 points. ”We got away from moving the ball and we can’t have that. We’re not the type of team that can play (isolation) ball or pick-and-roll, pick-and-roll. Our strength is body movement and ball movement. We basically waited three quarters to do it.”

Magic just 4 days prior to that game lost to Nets because of 4th quater collaps in game Vučević scored 41 points.

Well, he did also go off in the only other game Evan missed as well. Oh, and it was against the Lakers.
The Real Dalic
RealGM

Post#235 » by The Real Dalic » Sat Mar 7, 2020 11:41 am

I also want to say that the Wolves have the makings of a great team right now with Russell, Beasley, and KAT. Need to fill out the roster with much better 3 and D guys and they're set. Just get the people to do the dirty work for your big 3. That's the easiest part to do when building a roster.
yoyojw17
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,092

Post#236 » by yoyojw17 » Sat Mar 7, 2020 2:59 pm

Xatticus wrote:

We focus so much on players that can be developed into star, starters, etc. But iwundu is one of those players who I've said that I've liked his development ... Especially when you focus on him developing as a quality bench player. I appreciate the work he's put in.
Def Swami
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 15,149

Post#237 » by Def Swami » Sat Mar 7, 2020 2:59 pm

It really sucks how much the front office never tried to replace or upgrade Fournier. I don't think he's a bad player. I just think he's really mediocre and probably not going to be worth the contract he gets, but the Magic are sooooo dependent on him and Ross for creating space. Barring Fournier not opting out, I think the move is to take some steps backward and let him walk. Maybe it forces Weltman and Hammond to get creative for once.
j-ragg
RealGM
And1: 11,652

Post#238 » by j-ragg » Sat Mar 7, 2020 3:01 pm

I think losing Fournier means as much as losing almost anyone else on the team... he's a role player on a team of role players. The show goes on.

I mean two short years ago there were people saying that if we ever traded Vucevic or he got hurt we wouldn't be scoring 80 ppg.
BadMofoPimp wrote:Durant thinks Vooch is one of the Best Centers in the NBA. I will take his word over a couch-GM yelling at a TV.
pepe1991
RealGM
And1: 16,293

Post#239 » by pepe1991 » Sat Mar 7, 2020 4:26 pm

The Real Dalic wrote:
pepe1991 wrote:i see jumping onto conclusions after beating team that lost 21 of of last 25 games is in full effect.

Well, he did also go off in the only other game Evan missed as well. Oh, and it was against the Lakers.

Nevermind Lakers not missing that Davis guy or Wolves this Towns guy. Nobody important, as long as it fits narrative.
Life is what happens when you're busy making other plans. -John Lennon
PrimeThyme
RealGM
And1: 14,380

Post#240 » by PrimeThyme » Sat Mar 7, 2020 4:38 pm

This is why I desperately wanted to move Fournier at the deadline. Vuc is so much more bearable to me when he isn't playing buddy ball with Fournier. I actually enjoyed watching him last night and he was part of the reason why our ball movement was as good as it was.

I personally think if you replace Fournier with a Joe Harris or another player who's role is to solely hit 3 pointers at a high level we wouldn't miss a beat.

Return to Orlando Magic