ImageImageImageImage

Game Thread: Orlando Magic V Houston Rockets

Moderators: UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL

ChosenSavior
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 12,773

Re: Game Thread: Orlando Magic V Houston Rockets 

Post#201 » by ChosenSavior » Tue Mar 10, 2020 5:12 pm

A shame I couldn't participate in this thread when this game was going on. Was cooking plenty as I recently got engaged to my girlfriend and was setting up things for her birthday get-together/our engagement celebration but I did have the game on while I was cooking. That was incredible basketball from the Orlando Magic for all 48 minutes. We took advantage of our size and punished them at the rim over and over again which then started to open up our outside game. My most enjoyable win of the season outside of the win we got against the Lakers in LA. Ball movement continuing to look superb without Evan in there. Take that line however you will.
Skin
RealGM
And1: 8,636

Post#202 » by Skin » Tue Mar 10, 2020 7:41 pm

MagicFan101 wrote:
Knightro wrote:
MagicFan101 wrote:The frustrating thing is that Evan has all the talent we need from that position for us to reach a higher level if he would simply buy in to more than himself, buddy-ball and the occasional emergency dump off pass.

The best teams move the ball around and create better shots even though they have incredible shooting talent. THAT is how they sustain that success over long seasons. You can’t play individual hero ball.

Wholeheartedly agree.

Evan Fournier has exactly what you want from a skill set perspective an NBA shooting guard.

He has good size. He's a very capable shooter. He has legitimate ability as a secondary ball handler and a secondary playmaker for others.

The problem is almost completely Evan's mentality and his sense of self worth. He, unfortunately, thinks he's much better than he actually is and that actively hurts the team a lot of the time.

He's not a tough or physical defender despite having the size to be one.

But worse than his defensive limitations, Evan genuinely sees himself as a high end offensive threat with the ball in his hands. Thus we get these crazy bouts of tunnel vision and over dribbling. We get possession after possession where the only person Fournier even *thinks* about passing to (if he passes at all) is Vucevic.

Evan Fournier *should* be the perfect fit, but he's not. I would absolutely be fine letting him walk for no return this offseason.

Yup, and it’s sad.

Move AG + pick(s) for a star SF and get Evan to buy into the team.

Fultz, vet-backup
Evan, Ross
Trade, Chuma
Isaac, Aminu
Vuc , Bamba

THAT is a team to get excited about moving forward as Isaac and Fultz continue to develop with Chuma and Bamba still unknowns who could do well.

But Evan won’t allow it ... (and yes, finding that trade is hard!)

Yeah Evan is stubborn. If he comes back next year, we need a new coach. We can't get Popovich, but we can get Messina. A more open passing scheme will be the only way to break Evan. The scheme has to command it.
Jett Howard, Franz Wagner, Paolo Banchero, Jonathan Isaac, Wendell Carter Jr
Anthony Black, Cole Anthony, Jalen Suggs, Joe Ingles, Chuma Okeke, Mo Wagner, Goga Bitadze LESSSGOOO!!!
yoyojw17
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,092

Post#203 » by yoyojw17 » Tue Mar 10, 2020 10:17 pm

Knightro wrote:
MagicFan101 wrote:The frustrating thing is that Evan has all the talent we need from that position for us to reach a higher level if he would simply buy in to more than himself, buddy-ball and the occasional emergency dump off pass.

The best teams move the ball around and create better shots even though they have incredible shooting talent. THAT is how they sustain that success over long seasons. You can’t play individual hero ball.

Wholeheartedly agree.

Evan Fournier has exactly what you want from a skill set perspective an NBA shooting guard.

He has good size. He's a very capable shooter. He has legitimate ability as a secondary ball handler and a secondary playmaker for others.

The problem is almost completely Evan's mentality and his sense of self worth. He, unfortunately, thinks he's much better than he actually is and that actively hurts the team a lot of the time.

He's not a tough or physical defender despite having the size to be one.

But worse than his defensive limitations, Evan genuinely sees himself as a high end offensive threat with the ball in his hands. Thus we get these crazy bouts of tunnel vision and over dribbling. We get possession after possession where the only person Fournier even *thinks* about passing to (if he passes at all) is Vucevic.

Evan Fournier *should* be the perfect fit, but he's not. I would absolutely be fine letting him walk for no return this offseason.

I hope he's out long enough that we can see what a successful style of play is like... allowing the team to buy in and hopefully him .... so that when he returns he fits in and our team becomes even better! all assuming that this style of play is continues bringing obvious success that is.

Style of Play- defend + pass the ball.

Return to Orlando Magic