ImageImageImageImage

From Bums to Making History- Magic Bench

Optimus_Steel
RealGM
And1: 11,150

From Bums to Making History- Magic Bench 

Post#1 » by Optimus_Steel » Wed Mar 11, 2020 8:13 pm

The bench was a significant factor in the win and during the Magic’s recent surge.

Augustin, Carter-Williams and Ross have all scored 15-plus points in three straight games.

According to Elias Sports, it’s the first time a trio from the same team has scored 15-plus off the bench in three consecutive since the NBA officially started tracking starters and bench players in 1970-71.

The Magic have ramped up their offensive pace and established a more aggressive attack since the all-star break and it has shown, and Clifford attributed much of that to the bench play of Carter-Williams, Ross and Augustin.

“We got 70 [in the second half] and they’re terrific on defense,” Clifford said. “Obviously T Ross and those guys off the bench, [and] we had some good play from our starters. Vooch made some good plays and obviously, hose guys off the bench, T Ross, D.J. and MCW were all really good on both sides of the floor.”

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/orlando-magic/os-sp-orlando-magic-memphis-grizzlies-0311-20200311-cizont5okvfunjao6fclr6c7yy-story.html

Can someone explain what the heck has happened since the all star break? From being one of the worst scoring teams in the league to leading the league in offensive efficiency since the all star break? Making history by being the first team to have 3 bench players score at least 15+ in 3 straight games. What is going on? This cant be sustainable.
aka: prorl
Def Swami
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 15,148

Re: From Bums to Making History- Magic Bench 

Post#2 » by Def Swami » Wed Mar 11, 2020 8:57 pm

I was thinking this to myself last night after watching the game. I can't really explain it other than guys just got hot. Fultz talked about better ball movement in the post-game after the win against the Wolves, but it's not like better ball movement can explain an offense that was dead last in the league to doing a complete 180 to first in a matter of a week off. Guys were just missing wide open shots for a large part of the season. Clifford griped about it several times in the post-game press conferences. As has been posted, almost every single player is shooting more efficiently since the ASB. Ross and Vucevic are replicating their offensive performances from last season. Gordon and Vucevic's assists are up. MCW is shooting 36% from 3 over his last 10 games. Bamba is shooting 44% from 3 over the last 10 games. :onfire:
SOUL
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 37,554

Post#3 » by SOUL » Wed Mar 11, 2020 9:22 pm

It's weird watching MCW shoot threes and not expecting him to miss open ones.
RookieStar
RealGM
And1: 5,818

Post#4 » by RookieStar » Wed Mar 11, 2020 9:52 pm

Wait a minute here... the LAST 3 GAMES???

Hmmm just to play devil's advocate here, what happened in the last 3 games to make us play like this?

*runs for cover*
TheChaser
Analyst
And1: 482

Post#5 » by TheChaser » Wed Mar 11, 2020 10:10 pm

RookieStar wrote:Wait a minute here... the LAST 3 GAMES???

Hmmm just to play devil's advocate here, what happened in the last 3 games to make us play like this?

*runs for cover*

I know the answer!!! :lol:
maginno wrote:There is nothing wrong with this team that putting a few unloaded guns in Carter's gym bag will not solve.
tiderulz
RealGM
And1: 14,107

Post#6 » by tiderulz » Wed Mar 11, 2020 10:40 pm

MCW at 21 mpg, 12 ppg 40% from 3, 94% from FT over the last 7 games. if he can keep that up, he deserves his solid backup PG gig.
Skin
RealGM
And1: 8,636

Post#7 » by Skin » Wed Mar 11, 2020 11:00 pm

*runs for cover*

Whatever you do, DO NOT GOOGLE IMAGE HIS NAME!!!!
Jett Howard, Franz Wagner, Paolo Banchero, Jonathan Isaac, Wendell Carter Jr
Anthony Black, Cole Anthony, Jalen Suggs, Joe Ingles, Chuma Okeke, Mo Wagner, Goga Bitadze LESSSGOOO!!!
J the Drafter
Starter
And1: 298

Post#8 » by J the Drafter » Wed Mar 11, 2020 11:51 pm

Maybe the team found their second wind.
Remember when Kobe elbowed Jameer in the chin so hard Jameer was knocked down and sent skidding across the floor?
Pepperidge Farm remembers.*

*Futurama
Blue_and_Whte
RealGM
And1: 9,238

Post#9 » by Blue_and_Whte » Thu Mar 12, 2020 1:26 am

*runs for cover*
Fourniers absence didnt suddenly turn us into a top offensive team overnight. Devils advocate is me saying we shouldn't expect MCW to play this way full time. I'm happy about it but just cautiously optimistic

Sent from my VS501 using RealGM mobile app
Faith, Family, Basketball
#2A
#Adopt
OrlandoNed
Head Coach
And1: 4,776

Post#10 » by OrlandoNed » Mon Mar 16, 2020 4:56 pm

Blue_and_Whte wrote:

*runs for cover*
Fourniers absence didnt suddenly turn us into a top offensive team overnight. Devils advocate is me saying we shouldn't expect MCW to play this way full time. I'm happy about it but just cautiously optimistic

Sent from my VS501 using RealGM mobile app

I disliked MCW for the longest time after he topped Oladipo for the ROY back in the day, but I've really enjoyed seeing him reinvent himself as a poor man's Marcus Smart. Every team with any kind of playoff aspiration needs a scrappy and versatile perimeter guy to round out their rotation and to do the dirty work. Not really a playmaker in a statistical sense, but a playmaker through effort and hustle.
OrlandoMagic
Lead Assistant
And1: 435

Post#11 » by OrlandoMagic » Mon Mar 16, 2020 11:53 pm

Optimus_Steel wrote:
The bench was a significant factor in the win and during the Magic’s recent surge.

Augustin, Carter-Williams and Ross have all scored 15-plus points in three straight games.

According to Elias Sports, it’s the first time a trio from the same team has scored 15-plus off the bench in three consecutive since the NBA officially started tracking starters and bench players in 1970-71.

The Magic have ramped up their offensive pace and established a more aggressive attack since the all-star break and it has shown, and Clifford attributed much of that to the bench play of Carter-Williams, Ross and Augustin.

“We got 70 [in the second half] and they’re terrific on defense,” Clifford said. “Obviously T Ross and those guys off the bench, [and] we had some good play from our starters. Vooch made some good plays and obviously, hose guys off the bench, T Ross, D.J. and MCW were all really good on both sides of the floor.”

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/orlando-magic/os-sp-orlando-magic-memphis-grizzlies-0311-20200311-cizont5okvfunjao6fclr6c7yy-story.html

Can someone explain what the heck has happened since the all star break? From being one of the worst scoring teams in the league to leading the league in offensive efficiency since the all star break? Making history by being the first team to have 3 bench players score at least 15+ in 3 straight games. What is going on? This cant be sustainable.

My simple theory is this: Behind the scenes ownership and management must be talking about trading players openingly and often. The past few years we’ve arguably been a very good team after the trade deadline. Perhaps because everyone finally knows where they are for the rest of the year. Though I could be very wrong this is what I tend to stick with.
SHAQ32
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,947

Post#12 » by SHAQ32 » Wed Mar 18, 2020 10:59 pm

Def Swami wrote:I was thinking this to myself last night after watching the game. I can't really explain it other than guys just got hot. Fultz talked about better ball movement in the post-game after the win against the Wolves, but it's not like better ball movement can explain an offense that was dead last in the league to doing a complete 180 to first in a matter of a week off. Guys were just missing wide open shots for a large part of the season. Clifford griped about it several times in the post-game press conferences. As has been posted, almost every single player is shooting more efficiently since the ASB. Ross and Vucevic are replicating their offensive performances from last season. Gordon and Vucevic's assists are up. MCW is shooting 36% from 3 over his last 10 games. Bamba is shooting 44% from 3 over the last 10 games. :onfire:

Ooh @ the Bamba stat

Return to Orlando Magic