ImageImageImageImage

Disney Bubble Talk: Schedule and Updates

Moderators: Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL, UCF

yoyojw17
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,091

Re: Orlando Magic Remaining Schedule Released 

Post#41 » by yoyojw17 » Wed Jul 1, 2020 7:39 am

Bensational wrote:
Knightro wrote:
basketballRob wrote:They'll be in a bubble and I'm sure they won't have contact with anyone, including Disney employees. My guess is a bigger percentage of the players that don't go get coronavirus, than the players in the bubble.

The problem is that this isn't a true bubble. It's only a "bubble" in terms of keeping the majority of people (not all) from coming in.

The players, coaches, staffers, announcers, production crew people are all free to come and go from the Disney bubble as they please. It's not a prison.

Really? It's not an enforced bubble? I thought it was. Isn't that why players are opting out - because they don't want to deal with the restrictions?

Otherwise how do you control contact with potentially infected people? Especially with the rate of infections in Florida.

If i remember correctly... they can leave if they want.... just have to quarantine for 2 weeks when they get back and pass testing.
basketballRob
RealGM
And1: 10,713

Post#42 » by basketballRob » Wed Jul 1, 2020 9:22 am

MagicFan101 wrote:
basketballRob wrote:
MagicFan101 wrote:I really really REALLY miss sports. Any sign of normally feels amazing right now.

BUT

Am I the only one getting the feeling this restart is becoming a bad idea?

Conditions have changed since the league and players agreed to a strategy even a short while ago and it looks to get worse before it gets better. I wonder if there is more harm than good to be caused by attempting this half-assed season?
They'll be in a bubble and I'm sure they won't have contact with anyone, including Disney employees. My guess is a bigger percentage of the players that don't go get coronavirus, than the players in the bubble.

Sent from my SM-G950U using RealGM mobile app

You realize COVID tests, while much improved recently, are still quite unreliable don’t you?

Positive tests results have reached the point where we are pretty confident in their accuracy. So if someone tests positive we can quickly act and treat.

The issue is that a negative test is not yet fully trustworthy. So it is possible or even a certainty that at least one person will test negative and enter that bubble while actually being infected with the virus.

What happens after that ... ?

The only solution is many many many many many many ... and then more tests BEFORE entering the bubble.

They have been doing that and the result has already lead to multiple Nets players testing positive and opting out as well as the entire Nuggets facility being shut down.

We haven’t even really started yet ...
They're suppose to test them everyday.

MagicFan101
RealGM
And1: 6,498

Post#43 » by MagicFan101 » Wed Jul 1, 2020 11:45 am

basketballRob wrote:
MagicFan101 wrote:
basketballRob wrote:They'll be in a bubble and I'm sure they won't have contact with anyone, including Disney employees. My guess is a bigger percentage of the players that don't go get coronavirus, than the players in the bubble.

You realize COVID tests, while much improved recently, are still quite unreliable don’t you?

Positive tests results have reached the point where we are pretty confident in their accuracy. So if someone tests positive we can quickly act and treat.

The issue is that a negative test is not yet fully trustworthy. So it is possible or even a certainty that at least one person will test negative and enter that bubble while actually being infected with the virus.

What happens after that ... ?

The only solution is many many many many many many ... and then more tests BEFORE entering the bubble.

They have been doing that and the result has already lead to multiple Nets players testing positive and opting out as well as the entire Nuggets facility being shut down.

We haven’t even really started yet ...
They're suppose to test them everyday.

Uh huh ... keep reading.

We are already seeing the wheels come of from this. It is hard to imagine that this somehow gets better as more and more people gather together.
Knightro
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 24,327

Post#44 » by Knightro » Wed Jul 1, 2020 3:52 pm

Bensational wrote:Really? It's not an enforced bubble? I thought it was. Isn't that why players are opting out - because they don't want to deal with the restrictions?

Otherwise how do you control contact with potentially infected people? Especially with the rate of infections in Florida.

It's encouraged they do not leave, but any player and/or staffer is free to leave the Disney campus whenever they want for whatever they want.

Players can leave at any time. If a player leaves without approval, he must quarantine for at least 10 days upon return, and will have to do the deep nasal test (as opposed to the shallow nasal or shallow oral testing). If there’s an excused absence, then the player would have to quarantine for just four days on campus, so long as he tested negative each day he was gone.

https://www.theringer.com/nba/2020/6/22/21298581/nba-safety-disney-world-campus-guidelines
Last Guardian
RealGM
And1: 3,935

Post#45 » by Last Guardian » Wed Jul 1, 2020 8:14 pm

Is anyone actually taking this seriously? I mean sure it will be nice to watch basketball again but these mine as well be summer league games
MagicFan101
RealGM

Post#46 » by MagicFan101 » Wed Jul 1, 2020 8:20 pm

Last Guardian wrote:Is anyone actually taking this seriously? I mean sure it will be nice to watch basketball again but these mine as well be summer league games

Which is why ... as much as I want my sports ... I’m starting to wonder if this is such a good idea given how things are turning.
pepe1991
RealGM
And1: 16,276

Post#47 » by pepe1991 » Wed Jul 1, 2020 8:29 pm

so there is objective ( almost expected) scenario where in middle of playoffs one team is being eliminated due illness.... what a joke
Life is what happens when you're busy making other plans. -John Lennon
basketballRob
RealGM

Post#48 » by basketballRob » Wed Jul 1, 2020 11:53 pm

We'll all be watching every minute. They'll probably be the most watched games of all time.

Tarheel
Sixth Man
And1: 767

Post#49 » by Tarheel » Thu Jul 2, 2020 9:18 am

basketballRob wrote:We'll all be watching every minute. They'll probably be the most watched games of all time.

Which is why, short of a couple of extreme scenarios, this thing will go ahead.

The only things that stop the train leaving the station now are a mass outbreak among the players or the stars refuse to play en masse.
MagicFan101
RealGM

Post#50 » by MagicFan101 » Thu Jul 2, 2020 7:03 pm

Tarheel wrote:
basketballRob wrote:We'll all be watching every minute. They'll probably be the most watched games of all time.

The only things that stop the train leaving the station now are a mass outbreak among the players or the stars refuse to play en masse.

They just had 9 more players test positive for 25 total players.

We don’t know yet who all those players are or from what teams. Are all of them from active bubble teams?

But let’s assume so ...

13 active roster players per 22 bubble teams and that gives you an 8.7% infection rate so far.
RookieStar
RealGM
And1: 5,815

Post#51 » by RookieStar » Thu Jul 2, 2020 7:53 pm

Guys.. more important question, did no MAGIC player get it? I mean considering they are in Florida and all...
MagicFan101
RealGM

Post#52 » by MagicFan101 » Thu Jul 2, 2020 7:56 pm

RookieStar wrote:Guys.. more important question, did no MAGIC player get it? I mean considering they are in Florida and all...

That was my first thought when they announced more players tested positive. Unfortunately they haven’t announced who those players are ...

Surely we will learn soon.
RookieStar
RealGM
And1: 5,815

Post#53 » by RookieStar » Thu Jul 2, 2020 8:01 pm

MagicFan101 wrote:
RookieStar wrote:Guys.. more important question, did no MAGIC player get it? I mean considering they are in Florida and all...

That was my first thought when they announced more players tested positive. Unfortunately they haven’t announced who those players are ...

Surely we will learn soon.

Well it's because.. ( I just got this in GB ) they announced the number of persons tested and thank God there were only a few positive. I also didn't see any Magic player names.
basketballRob
RealGM

Post#54 » by basketballRob » Thu Jul 2, 2020 10:58 pm

MagicFan101 wrote:
Tarheel wrote:

We don’t know yet who all those players are or from what teams. Are all of them from active bubble teams?

But let’s assume so ...

13 active roster players per 22 bubble teams and that gives you an 8.7% infection rate so far.
8.7% is way better than they expected.

MagicFan101
RealGM

Post#55 » by MagicFan101 » Fri Jul 3, 2020 12:16 am

basketballRob wrote:
MagicFan101 wrote:
Tarheel wrote:

But let’s assume so ...

lol, that is the number before we even get started. Players and staff are free to come and go after flying into one of the worst areas. How can we expect this to level off or get better?

I want this to work. I want to be wrong.

You are unwilling to discuss or offer detailed counter arguments.

Your need for basketball over safety is sad.
J-Mezzy
RealGM
And1: 3,218

Post#56 » by J-Mezzy » Fri Jul 3, 2020 1:12 am

Idk if this will work, but theh have to try and i think they are doing everything possible to make it as safe as possible

I hope it works though the challenges are pretty big.
Thank you triplemke23 for the sig.
basketballRob
RealGM

Post#57 » by basketballRob » Fri Jul 3, 2020 1:58 am

MagicFan101 wrote:
basketballRob wrote:
MagicFan101 wrote:

But let’s assume so ...

lol, that is the number before we even get started. Players and staff are free to come and go after flying into one of the worst areas. How can we expect this to level off or get better?

I want this to work. I want to be wrong.

You are unwilling to discuss or offer detailed counter arguments.

Your need for basketball over safety is sad.
They won't be in the general public. My guess is they have less than 5 cases during the remainder of the season.

You're acting like they'll be out shopping at Publix and putting gas in their car.

Unfortunately 60-70% of the population will eventually get this and the players will probably be safer in the bubble.

MagicFan101
RealGM

Post#58 » by MagicFan101 » Fri Jul 3, 2020 2:10 pm

basketballRob wrote: My guess is they have less than 5 cases during the remainder of the season.

Ok. We have your prediction locked in. No more than 5 player cases the rest of way. We shall see ...

I hope you are right.
J-Mezzy
RealGM
And1: 3,218

Post#59 » by J-Mezzy » Fri Jul 3, 2020 6:51 pm

MagicFan101 wrote:
basketballRob wrote: My guess is they have less than 5 cases during the remainder of the season.

Ok. We have your prediction locked in. No more than 5 player cases the rest of way. We shall see ...

I hope you are right.

Give the man the bubble. No more than 5 cases once they are INSIDE the bubble
Thank you triplemke23 for the sig.
MagicFan101
RealGM

Post#60 » by MagicFan101 » Fri Jul 3, 2020 9:34 pm

J-Mezzy wrote:
MagicFan101 wrote:

I hope you are right.

Give the man the bubble. No more than 5 cases once they are INSIDE the bubble

Not what he said, but sure.

Return to Orlando Magic