ImageImageImageImage

Chuma Okeke (injury update post #16)

Moderators: Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL, UCF

cedric76
RealGM
And1: 3,179

Chuma Okeke (injury update post #16) 

Post#1 » by cedric76 » Sat Jul 25, 2020 7:25 pm

Great video about Chuma

Most people on this board are too short-sighted and impatient, I believe in what Weham are doing

The lineup of the future 2022 season

Fultz
SG
Chuma
Isaac
Mo

The chuma+isaac+mo frontcourt will be lethal

We have AG+Vuc+(Evan if he option)+picks as assets to somehow find the perfect SG to fit this team

Could it be Anthony Edwards?

Fultz
Edwards
Chuma
Isaac
Mo

I m sure Weham will get us the perfect SG for this young team
Grayson or Monk? Bring the cheapest

unleash Jett next seaon
MagicFan101
RealGM
And1: 6,498

Re: Chuma 

Post#2 » by MagicFan101 » Sat Jul 25, 2020 7:46 pm

Nice video. Thanks! I'm pretty excited for Chuma as well. It is easy for the simpletons of this board to say that an injured player could have been had much later and leave it there but Chuma was projected well inside the late lottery prior to the draft by many. The fact is the slot value was very good and he fits the true SF position better than Isaac or Gordon do. If Gordon's days are numbered, This pick makes a lot of sense.

I'm losing interest in Edwards. I just think it will cost more than he is worth to get up to that pick. If AG + #15/16 is all it takes then sign me up. I just expect it to cost that + a future pick we will come to regret.

Instead, I'm warming up to the idea of Kira Lewis as a backup PG + small ball robin to Fultz while targeting names like Caris Levert with an AG trade or aiming smaller and going after NAW. Meanwhile, looking at NBAdraft.net, 7 of the top 10 current 2021 projections are PG/SG, SG or SG/SF. It is super early but there will be talent available at the 2-guard spot next year.
Skin
RealGM
And1: 8,632

Post#3 » by Skin » Sat Jul 25, 2020 7:49 pm

I remain hopeful for Okeke. Look at my sig. If we added Edwards, that would be my dream scenario.

Is AG, our 2020 1st, 2022 1st enough? Lord knows Vuc and Fournier have very low trade value.
Jett Howard, Franz Wagner, Paolo Banchero, Jonathan Isaac, Wendell Carter Jr
Anthony Black, Cole Anthony, Jalen Suggs, Joe Ingles, Chuma Okeke, Mo Wagner, Goga Bitadze LESSSGOOO!!!
cedric76
RealGM

Post#4 » by cedric76 » Sat Jul 25, 2020 7:58 pm

Could it be culvert?

unleash Jett next seaon
PrimeThyme
RealGM
And1: 14,333

Post#5 » by PrimeThyme » Sat Jul 25, 2020 8:21 pm

I would absolutely love to eat my words on Chuma. In theory, if he develops into a legitimate 3&D starting level SF it would be a great benefit to this roster and would also give us much more flexibility to trade AG. He's still just a huge unknown imo. I'm interested to see how he looks post knee injury and if he can remain healthy. I need to see him on the court for a while first before I can make any real judgments on him.

Looking back on his college highlights at this point does about as much for as looking back at Fultz's did. I just need to see him on an NBA court.
Knightro
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 24,154

Post#6 » by Knightro » Sat Jul 25, 2020 8:43 pm

I really like Chuma Okeke... as a stretch 4.

Really see him as a high end glue guy. A player who does a lot of little things - taking charges, diving for loose balls, making the extra pass - that can energize teammates and really contribute to a winning team.

But I'm confident he'll do more than that. I do genuinely believe in Chuma's jumper translating to the NBA. I like his basketball IQ, decision making and passing ability. I think he could be a starting PF for a lot of NBA teams. I think he's comparable to PJ Washington who had a solid rookie year in Charlotte.

I just don't know if Okeke has the speed/quickness, ball handling or general aggressiveness with the ball in his hands to be a full time wing offensively.

If I'm wrong and he can become a NBA SF, that would be huge for the Magic moving forward, but I'm not overly optimistic on that. Still like him a lot as a player.
KillMonger
RealGM
And1: 9,971

Post#7 » by KillMonger » Sat Jul 25, 2020 9:11 pm

I think he can fill AG's role perfectly....or at least Aminu's role.....as how good he can be that remains to be seen but i would love to see him turn into like a Milsap 2.0
Skybox
RealGM
And1: 5,590

Post#8 » by Skybox » Sat Jul 25, 2020 9:29 pm

Wow...that was a great watch. I hope the analyst knows what he’s talking about. His analysis of Isaac in another video was next level, imo
Knightro
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic

Post#9 » by Knightro » Sat Jul 25, 2020 10:12 pm

If Okeke *can't* effectively play the 3 next year, then it's going to be really interesting to see how Clifford builds his rotation if the front office doesn't make trades to take the decision out of his hands.

As it stands right now the Magic will have Gordon, Isaac, Aminu and Okeke all ready to play by the time next season begins. There's no real way to play all four of them.

I know the easy answer is "don't play Aminu", but will Clifford actually go with a rookie over a veteran?

Ideally the Magic can find a taker for Aminu this offseason. What a miserable signing that looks like it's going to end up being.
cedric76
RealGM

Post#10 » by cedric76 » Sun Jul 26, 2020 7:18 am

AG for Johnson +culver +okogie

Future

Fultz
Culver
Chuma, Okogie
Isaac
Mo

unleash Jett next seaon
zaymon
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,141

Post#11 » by zaymon » Sun Jul 26, 2020 10:16 am

Knightro wrote:If Okeke *can't* effectively play the 3 next year, then it's going to be really interesting to see how Clifford builds his rotation if the front office doesn't make trades to take the decision out of his hands.

As it stands right now the Magic will have Gordon, Isaac, Aminu and Okeke all ready to play by the time next season begins. There's no real way to play all four of them.

I know the easy answer is "don't play Aminu", but will Clifford actually go with a rookie over a veteran?

Ideally the Magic can find a taker for Aminu this offseason. What a miserable signing that looks like it's going to end up being.

Regardless 3 or 4 i think Okeke can fit next to Isaac much better than Gordon. Its a nice video about Okeke but you can tell autor didnt know exactly how the magic are playing under Clifford. We like to post up Gordon, and let him playmake from there. Problem is AG is painfully average post up player (good passer but bad scorer and atrocious if he cant dunk). Second option to make plays from the inside is attacking closeuts, but Gordon is limited both as a shooter and dribbler. We can play Chuma in a manner Paul George torched us in the scrimmage (minus the pullup game). I think Okeke ceiling is playing wing on big lineups. In the future we will be build defensively similar to LAL, Bucks and Raptors- Rim protector, all defense versatile 4, bigger than quicker 3 with fast reactions and secondary rim protection ability. We are positioned to trade Gordon, i dont know if it happens, but drafting Isaac, Okeke and signing Aminu is not a coincidence.
My money is on Banchero going number 1 !
MagicFan101
RealGM

Post#12 » by MagicFan101 » Sun Jul 26, 2020 5:55 pm

Knightro wrote:I really like Chuma Okeke... as a stretch 4.

Really see him as a high end glue guy. A player who does a lot of little things - taking charges, diving for loose balls, making the extra pass - that can energize teammates and really contribute to a winning team.

But I'm confident he'll do more than that. I do genuinely believe in Chuma's jumper translating to the NBA. I like his basketball IQ, decision making and passing ability. I think he could be a starting PF for a lot of NBA teams. I think he's comparable to PJ Washington who had a solid rookie year in Charlotte.

I just don't know if Okeke has the speed/quickness, ball handling or general aggressiveness with the ball in his hands to be a full time wing offensively.

If I'm wrong and he can become a NBA SF, that would be huge for the Magic moving forward, but I'm not overly optimistic on that. Still like him a lot as a player.

I slotted him at SF. You have him at Stretch-4.

Maybe we are both wrong?

Maybe it doesn’t matter what role Chuma or Isaac play as both are fairly versatile and that is the key. These are position-less forwards who can switch up their defensive duties on a nightly basis as the situation demands.

Play them together with Fultz running the show and leave the story there. Do we really need to get fixated on position labels?
Skybox
RealGM
And1: 5,590

Post#13 » by Skybox » Sun Jul 26, 2020 6:13 pm

If position is defined as "who you can defend", then we have AG, Isaac, and, potentially, Chuma able to be slotted anywhere from 2 to 4. I like how Isaac has basically been at SF this season, out on the perimeter deflecting everything, disrupting lanes and then coming over to block shots from weak side. The idea that he and AG are redundant, IMO, is because neither has been able to put the ball on the floor and create OR sit at the 3pt line and knock em down consistently. It's either/or and they ARE redundant but not necessarily at PF and certainly not on defense...so, versatile switch guys can find ways to co-exist at their size IF somebody can create offense. I think our need for a "true" SF is overstated. What we really need is a second ball handler with enough size and strength to get to the rim, get to the line, and create when the offense bogs down. I don't know if Chuma has that kind of offense but I don't doubt that he could play with AG and Isaac on D with no problem. Most likely, AG is the odd man out in our search for a true shot maker...at any position.

I like the guy in the video describing how Chuma could benefit Bamba on the second unit right away. Add Ross and MCW and you may have something (I still assume DJ is gone). This could be a great developmental season coming up with a pathway for Chuma and Bamba moving into the starting lineup the season after (or after the trade deadline)
MagicFan101
RealGM

Post#14 » by MagicFan101 » Sun Jul 26, 2020 6:56 pm

Skybox wrote:If position is defined as "who you can defend", then we have AG, Isaac, and, potentially, Chuma able to be slotted anywhere from 2 to 4. I like how Isaac has basically been at SF this season, out on the perimeter deflecting everything, disrupting lanes and then coming over to block shots from weak side. The idea that he and AG are redundant, IMO, is because neither has been able to put the ball on the floor and create OR sit at the 3pt line and knock em down consistently. It's either/or and they ARE redundant but not necessarily at PF and certainly not on defense...so, versatile switch guys can find ways to co-exist at their size IF somebody can create offense. I think our need for a "true" SF is overstated. What we really need is a second ball handler with enough size and strength to get to the rim, get to the line, and create when the offense bogs down. I don't know if Chuma has that kind of offense but I don't doubt that he could play with AG and Isaac on D with no problem. Most likely, AG is the odd man out in our search for a true shot maker...at any position.

I like the guy in the video describing how Chuma could benefit Bamba on the second unit right away. Add Ross and MCW and you may have something (I still assume DJ is gone). This could be a great developmental season coming up with a pathway for Chuma and Bamba moving into the starting lineup the season after (or after the trade deadline)

This is another example of why I’m really stating to like the idea of Kira Lewis at #16 if nothing special falls to us.

Lewis + Ross + Chuma + Chief + Bamba

That could be a fun second unit with more punch than we have had in some time.

Between Bamba, Chuma and possibly Lewis you also have 3 guys with the potential to elevate to starters in due time.

Now, I fully expect Evan to opt in so our SG spot is what it is (unfortunately) for the time being.

But suddenly have a solid bench, AG on a pending expiring contract heading in 2021, a strong 2021 SG draft class and a ton a 2021 cap space (but a few FAs needing new deals).

... no one likes the “wait one more year” approach but if we can lock in our bench and move AG for a quality 2-guard we might enter 2021 with enough cap space to entice someone to join our club.
Knightro
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic

Post#15 » by Knightro » Sun Jul 26, 2020 7:00 pm

MagicFan101 wrote:I slotted him at SF. You have him at Stretch-4.

Maybe we are both wrong?

Maybe it doesn’t matter what role Chuma or Isaac play as both are fairly versatile and that is the key. These are position-less forwards who can switch up their defensive duties on a nightly basis as the situation demands.

Play them together with Fultz running the show and leave the story there. Do we really need to get fixated on position labels?

I'm not hung up on what position they play at all. As you said, it's "positionless" basketball. But you know who are two forwards who can switch up defensive duties on a nightly basis as the situation demands? Jonathan Isaac and Aaron Gordon.

For me, it more comes down to offensive skill sets and how those skill sets complement each other. The Magic's offense is already pretty poor with Gordon and Isaac as the starting frontcourt.

Replacing Gordon with Okeke could/should be equal or perhaps even better defensively than Gordon/Isaac is, which is great. But Chuma certainly appears to be an inferior ball handler and generally a more passive offensive player than Gordon is.

Okeke *should* be a better shooter than Gordon, but is he just going to plant in the corner on every possession?

I just think offensively Okeke and Isaac are pretty similar. They both appear most comfortable as low usage guys who are willing to blend in and defer to the more aggressive offensive players on the court. I don't think either guy has the ball handling ability to become a significantly higher usage player. Simply put, they're both role players offensively. 4th or 5th option types.

You can have one passive, mostly non-factor offensive player in your lineup if they're awesome at other things, which Isaac already is defensively, but I don't think you can have two and succeed at a high level without a mega star to overcompensate.
npiper17
General Manager
And1: 2,337

Chuma Okeke injury update 

Post#16 » by npiper17 » Sun Jul 26, 2020 7:39 pm

https://auburntigers.com/watch/?Archive=12417&type=Archive

- Feels like he can do almost everything he could pre-injury
- Working on explosiveness off his injured knee
- Still wearing a knee brace on the court
- Expects to be ready for next season
Bensational
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 12,366

Post#17 » by Bensational » Sun Jul 26, 2020 7:42 pm

I'm not sold on Chuma. I think expectations are way too high on him fuelled more by the mystery factor than anything.

Defensively he'll be good. His deflections being his greatest strength. But offensively, there are too many X factors. The biggest being that he'll now be playing against legit NBA bodies who can defend him better. How his body bounces back after not playing basketball for 2 years is anybody's guess. How his mindset returns is another.

I think he's the forward version of Iwundu at the next level. Hopefully he proves to be more.
MagicFan101
RealGM

Post#18 » by MagicFan101 » Sun Jul 26, 2020 8:11 pm

Knightro wrote:
MagicFan101 wrote:I slotted him at SF. You have him at Stretch-4.

Maybe we are both wrong?

I'm not hung up on what position they play at all. As you said, it's "positionless" basketball. But you know who are two forwards who can switch up defensive duties on a nightly basis as the situation demands? Jonathan Isaac and Aaron Gordon.

For me, it more comes down to offensive skill sets and how those skill sets complement each other. The Magic's offense is already pretty poor with Gordon and Isaac as the starting frontcourt.

Replacing Gordon with Okeke could/should be equal or perhaps even better defensively than Gordon/Isaac is, which is great. But Chuma certainly appears to be an inferior ball handler and generally a more passive offensive player than Gordon is.

Okeke *should* be a better shooter than Gordon, but is he just going to plant in the corner on every possession?

I just think offensively Okeke and Isaac are pretty similar. They both appear most comfortable as low usage guys who are willing to blend in and defer to the more aggressive offensive players on the court. I don't think either guy has the ball handling ability to become a significantly higher usage player. Simply put, they're both role players offensively. 4th or 5th option types.

You can have one passive, mostly non-factor offensive player in your lineup if they're awesome at other things, which Isaac already is defensively, but I don't think you can have two and succeed at a high level without a mega star to overcompensate.

With all due respect ...

Chuma, Gordon and Isaac are at very different places in their careers.

Compare the college shooting numbers of the three players (AG free throws! ouch!) and it is hard to maintain the argument that Chuma is redundant offensively.

Isaac, sadly, has not improved much statistically from college to today on his 3-pt shooting. In volume and percentage Chuma was a far superior shooter in college than both. Will that translate to the NBA? If so, he adds something uniquely different from the other two.

We would all prefer someone who could put the ball on the floor and create for himself over a 3&D spot up shooter but that is what you settle for when you don't have a high lottery pick.

Regardless, we have Cliff as our coach and Chuma is coming off a serious injury. Chuma will be a member of the 2nd unit to start his career so this is not really an argument worth having any time soon. Redundancies will clear themselves out in time.
MagicFan101
RealGM

Post#19 » by MagicFan101 » Sun Jul 26, 2020 8:18 pm

Bensational wrote:I'm not sold on Chuma. I think expectations are way too high on him fuelled more by the mystery factor than anything.

Defensively he'll be good. His deflections being his greatest strength. But offensively, there are too many X factors. The biggest being that he'll now be playing against legit NBA bodies who can defend him better. How his body bounces back after not playing basketball for 2 years is anybody's guess. How his mindset returns is another.

I think he's the forward version of Iwundu at the next level. Hopefully he proves to be more.

What is "way too high" in your opinion?

I don't believe anyone here has quantified their expectation with a high number of all-star appearances or anything tangible.

Given how upset most were about the pick at first, it feels to me that all anyone is saying here is that he can fill in nicely with the 2nd unit to start his career, might pair well with Bamba early and could ultimately earn a role in the starting lineup some day next to Isaac if his shooting translates.

Is that trajectory not what you might hope for from a mid-1st round pick?
Skin
RealGM
And1: 8,632

Post#20 » by Skin » Sun Jul 26, 2020 8:54 pm

MagicFan101 wrote:
Knightro wrote:I really like Chuma Okeke... as a stretch 4.

I slotted him at SF. You have him at Stretch-4.

Maybe we are both wrong?

There shouldn't be any concerns that Chuma can play SF. Yeah he's more like a glue guy, but he's a guy who you can leave in at the end of games because he plays hard on defense and he can space the floor. His strength is playing off the ball, but he is decisive and a quick decision maker. You watch him and you know that he has a predetermined mindset of what he's going to do when he touches the ball. This helps him get his shot off quickly, take advantage of holes in the lane or find the next open guy. He'll use his body to play a more physical game moreso than try to dribble through traffic, but that's ok. Physicality is another dimension this teams needs to add.

The key is roster construction. We need Guards who hunger to score. A backcourt like Lillard/McCollum would be crazy ideal for us (I know, not happening). But a trio like LAC - Patrick Beverly, Paul George, Lou Williams would also be the type of complimentary Guard set up that I think would be good for us.

Getting there is another story, but imo it's an ideal time for us to go all in with the draft. Because we are set up with complimentary players at every position,I feel like we can give up future picks and being aggressive to move up in the draft to get Edwards. A backcourt of Fultz and Edwards in 2-3 years would be exciting, especially when you look at the rest of the team.

If we can somehow turn Gordon into Oubre, I'll be an even bigger happy camper.

Markelle Fultz / MCW
Anthony Edwards / Terence Ross
Kelly Oubre / Chuma Okeke
Jonathan Isaac / Al Farouq Aminu
Nikola Vucevic / Mo Bamba
Jett Howard, Franz Wagner, Paolo Banchero, Jonathan Isaac, Wendell Carter Jr
Anthony Black, Cole Anthony, Jalen Suggs, Joe Ingles, Chuma Okeke, Mo Wagner, Goga Bitadze LESSSGOOO!!!

Return to Orlando Magic