ImageImageImageImage

WE'RE BACK!! GAME THREAD (Bubble Edition): Orlando Magic vs. Brooklyn Nets 7/31/20 2:30 PM EST

Moderators: Howard Mass, UCF, ChosenSavior, Knightro, SOUL, Def Swami, UCFJayBird

basketballRob
General Manager
Posts: 9,032
And1: 3,317
Joined: May 05, 2014
     

Re: WE'RE BACK!! GAME THREAD (Bubble Edition): Orlando Magic vs. Brooklyn Nets 7/31/20 2:30 PM EST 

Post#421 » by basketballRob » Sun Aug 2, 2020 9:19 am

OrlandoNed wrote:
basketballRob wrote:
OrlandoNed wrote:Damn, that is wild. That's one way to make the Orlando Magic relevant.
Suddenly the NBA may want to start marketing Isaac and the Magic more.

Sent from my SM-G950U using RealGM mobile app

I doubt it. I expect most extra media attention we get from isaac will be negative talking head soundbites and hit pieces but it's possible. Probably depends on Isaac staying relevant in the news cycle long term.
I am surprised to see some of the hate he's getting. I've seen some say that he just wants popularity and money.

Sent from my SM-G950U using RealGM mobile app
User avatar
RookieStar
General Manager
Posts: 8,633
And1: 1,458
Joined: Jul 01, 2009
 

Re: WE'RE BACK!! GAME THREAD (Bubble Edition): Orlando Magic vs. Brooklyn Nets 7/31/20 2:30 PM EST 

Post#422 » by RookieStar » Sun Aug 2, 2020 11:19 am

OrlandO wrote:Paul George on Isaac

Read on Twitter




Isaac coming for lebron in jersey sales :lol:

Image
Image


Wow really? Thats great to hear. Lol
basketballRob
General Manager
Posts: 9,032
And1: 3,317
Joined: May 05, 2014
     

Re: WE'RE BACK!! GAME THREAD (Bubble Edition): Orlando Magic vs. Brooklyn Nets 7/31/20 2:30 PM EST 

Post#423 » by basketballRob » Sun Aug 2, 2020 12:18 pm

RookieStar wrote:
OrlandO wrote:Paul George on Isaac

Read on Twitter




Isaac coming for lebron in jersey sales

Image
Image


Wow really? Thats great to hear. Lol
They're basically sold out of Isaac jerseys, they only have smalls left.

Sent from my SM-G950U using RealGM mobile app
User avatar
Xatticus
Assistant Coach
Posts: 4,209
And1: 4,348
Joined: Feb 18, 2016
Location: the land of the blind
         

Re: WE'RE BACK!! GAME THREAD (Bubble Edition): Orlando Magic vs. Brooklyn Nets 7/31/20 2:30 PM EST 

Post#424 » by Xatticus » Sun Aug 2, 2020 12:37 pm

swarlesbarkley wrote:
The Real Dalic wrote:
swarlesbarkley wrote:Haven't read through the thread about JI, so apologize if this sentiment has already been mentioned...

I totally get it that kneeling and wearing a BLM doesn't do anything tangible for black lives and systematic racism (aside from spreading awareness), but to do the opposite (standing and wearing a white shirt), at least visually, suggests you are anti-BLM.

Kneeling and wearing a BLM shirt is basically the easiest thing to do to support the movement at this point - not doing either of those things at the very best takes the conversation away from BLM and at the very worst suggests you don't believe in BLM. I haven't read the bible in a while - what does jesus say about taking the spotlight away from a movement meant to help people in a helpless situation?

I mean, I could understand only doing one of the two: kneel and wear a white jersey, or wear a BLM shirt but don't kneel. Those show solidarity but maybe that you believe there's a better way to help. Doing neither seems purposely malicious.

Maybe he's against the BLM movement? I know I am. You make it seem like because he might disagrees with those views that he's wrong, misguided, or evil. He clearly cares about black people, being black himself. But he believes that it's through Christ that we all unify together. He even said that and I agree with him.


Yes, if he's anti-BLM I do think he's wrong and misguided. I wouldn't say evil. If his plan is to take the spotlight away from the BLM movement by wearing white and standing, then yeah that's a little evil. I just don't quite understand his reasoning for standing and wearing white - he didn't really explain it well. He believes in black lives but the way to go about it is through Christianity? Ok, fine. I don't think just being a devout Christian is a way to help black lives and social injustice but that's not a convo for a game thread. Kneeling and wearing a BLM also helps, so why not do that? His decision to stand seems actively against the movement, which is maybe why his explanation doesn't make much sense - because didn't want to come out directly and say he's against it?


I can't speak for Isaac, but I'm fairly certain that you are misinterpreting his position. I have no doubt that this is something that he gave a great deal of consideration to before he took the action that he did. I think it took a lot of courage for Isaac to do what he did. I mean, once the corporations pick a side, you know you are well beyond the point of debate. As a white male, I don't think there is any chance that I would've done what Isaac did simply for fear of my actions being misinterpreted as my signaling support for something that I don't (opposition to the ongoing protests). I worry that the bump in jersey sales is an indication of precisely this.

As an acolyte of Chomsky and an admitted anarchist (probably doesn't mean what you think it does), I personally detest the name of Black Lives Matter. That said, I'm hopeful that something good comes from this just the same. For me, BLM amounts to racial border patrolling. I don't like how protests against social injustices have been co-opted by a group whose very name portrays this as black vs. white or black vs. blue. There is certainly a pervasive racial component to inequality in this country, but social injustice is far more complex than this. You aren't fighting for equality if you are only fighting for the rights of one subgroup of the population. This might not be what BLM advocates, but it's name certainly implies as much.

We are in our own little version of the Reign of Terror. Everyone is tripping over each other to try to publicly get on the right side of every issue, and so there is very little real dialogue going on. I think Isaac is trying to engage in that dialogue as best he can and I support that, even if I might be in disagreement with his religious motivations.

With all of the fervor for BLM from the NBA, I'm still waiting for them to issue a public apology to Mahmoud Abdul-Rauf and to compensate him for the fines levied upon him when he refused to stand for the national anthem in 1996. The NBA made an example of him. He might not have been blackballed, but his career in the NBA was irreparably damaged. If there is any sincerity in the NBA's current position, then this should be a rather straightforward way to demonstrate it.
"Xatticus has always been, in my humble opinion best poster here. Should write articles or something."
-pepe1991
User avatar
OrlandO
RealGM
Posts: 21,477
And1: 16,140
Joined: May 27, 2009

Re: WE'RE BACK!! GAME THREAD (Bubble Edition): Orlando Magic vs. Brooklyn Nets 7/31/20 2:30 PM EST 

Post#425 » by OrlandO » Sun Aug 2, 2020 2:02 pm

basketballRob wrote:
RookieStar wrote:
OrlandO wrote:Paul George on Isaac

Read on Twitter




Isaac coming for lebron in jersey sales

Image
Image


Wow really? Thats great to hear. Lol
They're basically sold out of Isaac jerseys, they only have smalls left.

Sent from my SM-G950U using RealGM mobile app

orlando magic custom jersey is now climbing the charts (3rd among all teams).... people are probably buying it to customize with isaac's name and number :lol:
User avatar
j-ragg
RealGM
Posts: 17,597
And1: 10,948
Joined: Mar 31, 2005
Location: the don't re-sign Hedo bandwagon.
   

Re: WE'RE BACK!! GAME THREAD (Bubble Edition): Orlando Magic vs. Brooklyn Nets 7/31/20 2:30 PM EST 

Post#426 » by j-ragg » Sun Aug 2, 2020 2:45 pm

I'll take the relevancy any way we can get it lol.
BadMofoPimp wrote:Durant thinks Vooch is one of the Best Centers in the NBA. I will take his word over a couch-GM yelling at a TV.
User avatar
swarlesbarkley
Veteran
Posts: 2,854
And1: 1,504
Joined: Jun 18, 2014
   

Re: WE'RE BACK!! GAME THREAD (Bubble Edition): Orlando Magic vs. Brooklyn Nets 7/31/20 2:30 PM EST 

Post#427 » by swarlesbarkley » Sun Aug 2, 2020 3:10 pm

Xatticus wrote:I can't speak for Isaac, but I'm fairly certain that you are misinterpreting his position. I have no doubt that this is something that he gave a great deal of consideration to before he took the action that he did. I think it took a lot of courage for Isaac to do what he did. I mean, once the corporations pick a side, you know you are well beyond the point of debate. As a white male, I don't think there is any chance that I would've done what Isaac did simply for fear of my actions being misinterpreted as my signaling support for something that I don't (opposition to the ongoing protests). I worry that the bump in jersey sales is an indication of precisely this.


Yeah, I'm afraid the jersey sales are representative of the population seeing him standing as anti-BLM. I hope he says explains more after he undoubtedly will get asked about it again today.

Xatticus wrote:As an acolyte of Chomsky and an admitted anarchist (probably doesn't mean what you think it does), I personally detest the name of Black Lives Matter. That said, I'm hopeful that something good comes from this just the same. For me, BLM amounts to racial border patrolling. I don't like how protests against social injustices have been co-opted by a group whose very name portrays this as black vs. white or black vs. blue. There is certainly a pervasive racial component to inequality in this country, but social injustice is far more complex than this. You aren't fighting for equality if you are only fighting for the rights of one subgroup of the population. This might not be what BLM advocates, but it's name certainly implies as much.


Appreciate the thoughtful response. As for BLM being divisive or implicitly black vs white, black lives matter (the name and the movement) says nothing about other subsets of people - that's an internal assumption of the movement and/or the deflective work of the All Lives Matter / Blue Lives Matter crews. No one thinks breast cancer awareness is pitting breast cancer vs prostate cancer - it's simply raising awareness about one at the current time. I agree that social injustice is far more complex than making the system equal for just black Americans, but it's a great place to start - by making things equal for black Americans, it will likely make things equal for others as well. Sounds like you agree with the sentiment here, just not the labeling of "Black Lives Matter".

In case you or anyone is curious, feel free to check out the official stance/mission statement of Black Lives Matter here: https://blacklivesmatter.com/what-we-believe/.

Just a couple snippets that speak to BLM being inclusive and not divisive:

"We work vigorously for freedom and justice for Black people and, by extension, all people."

"We acknowledge, respect, and celebrate differences and commonalities."

"We are unapologetically Black in our positioning. In affirming that Black Lives Matter, we need not qualify our position. To love and desire freedom and justice for ourselves is a prerequisite for wanting the same for others."
User avatar
RookieStar
General Manager
Posts: 8,633
And1: 1,458
Joined: Jul 01, 2009
 

Re: WE'RE BACK!! GAME THREAD (Bubble Edition): Orlando Magic vs. Brooklyn Nets 7/31/20 2:30 PM EST 

Post#428 » by RookieStar » Sun Aug 2, 2020 7:38 pm

j-ragg wrote:I'll take the relevancy any way we can get it lol.


Agreed. LOL more jersey sales, more exposure.

Like a person once said.. there is no such thins as bad publicity.
basketballRob
General Manager
Posts: 9,032
And1: 3,317
Joined: May 05, 2014
     

Re: WE'RE BACK!! GAME THREAD (Bubble Edition): Orlando Magic vs. Brooklyn Nets 7/31/20 2:30 PM EST 

Post#429 » by basketballRob » Sun Aug 2, 2020 8:15 pm

I could see Isaac being a topic on the Monday news shows. Then probably a presidential tweet about it.

Sent from my SM-G950U using RealGM mobile app
User avatar
drsd
RealGM
Posts: 27,958
And1: 4,441
Joined: Mar 16, 2003
     

Re: WE'RE BACK!! GAME THREAD (Bubble Edition): Orlando Magic vs. Brooklyn Nets 7/31/20 2:30 PM EST 

Post#430 » by drsd » Sun Aug 2, 2020 11:04 pm

Orlando is crushing the FG% contest.

GO MAGIC.
Rainwater
Veteran
Posts: 2,862
And1: 1,430
Joined: Apr 02, 2017

Re: WE'RE BACK!! GAME THREAD (Bubble Edition): Orlando Magic vs. Brooklyn Nets 7/31/20 2:30 PM EST 

Post#432 » by Rainwater » Mon Aug 3, 2020 12:51 am

Not trying to get political but I am pretty certain those who are buying his jersey are conservative and are on the right and those who are throwing the "hate" are pro BLM and are on the left. JI has gotten himself in a hornet's nest. Regardless of what his attention was someone was going to find something wrong with it.
User avatar
swarlesbarkley
Veteran
Posts: 2,854
And1: 1,504
Joined: Jun 18, 2014
   

Re: WE'RE BACK!! GAME THREAD (Bubble Edition): Orlando Magic vs. Brooklyn Nets 7/31/20 2:30 PM EST 

Post#433 » by swarlesbarkley » Mon Aug 3, 2020 5:17 pm

Rainwater wrote:Not trying to get political but I am pretty certain those who are buying his jersey are conservative and are on the right and those who are throwing the "hate" are pro BLM and are on the left. JI has gotten himself in a hornet's nest. Regardless of what his attention was someone was going to find something wrong with it.


Yeah. His answer didn't really do much to reveal his intentions with standing and not wearing a BLM shirt. The generic spiritual/religious answer just begged for more and so people are filling in the gaps themselves. Many NBA players/coaches/staff are deeply religious and they didn't stand because of it - those things aren't at odds with each other.

In contrast, Meyers Leonard stood while wearing a BLM shirt and made his intentions known: https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/29579676/miami-heat-meyers-leonard-chooses-stand-national-anthem

I don't agree with Meyers equating kneeling to disrespecting the flag, but I can for sure understand his reasoning and respect his decision.

Return to Orlando Magic