ImageImageImageImage

WE'RE BACK!! GAME THREAD (Bubble Edition): Orlando Magic vs. Brooklyn Nets 7/31/20 2:30 PM EST

Moderators: UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL

Skin
RealGM
And1: 8,636

Re: WE'RE BACK!! GAME THREAD (Bubble Edition): Orlando Magic vs. Brooklyn Nets 7/31/20 2:30 PM EST 

Post#321 » by Skin » Fri Jul 31, 2020 9:45 pm

Def Swami wrote:
Knightro wrote:These Isaac quotes are certainly going to be taken in ways I don't think Jonathan expects them to be taken and it's unfortunate.

Yeah, I think he means well. He's coming at this from a religious viewpoint. But, some statements veer almost into an "All Lives Matter" variant. And I think he's missing the point of the message behind "BLM" or kneeling for the flag. This is definitely going to come up among his teammates and other players. These guys are stuck with each other for a month in a bubble. I wish I could be a fly on the wall of some of those conversations. I think he sees this as an opportunity to spread the gospel, but it's going to be get twisted and the message is muddy.

He might need to fear for his life once he leaves the bubble. Some people are nuts. Crazy extremists out there.

Nothing good is going to come of this for him. I blame the NBA. There needs to be a group policy. Why not have 2 songs? Everyone stands for the National Anthem and everyone kneels for America the Beautiful. The way they do it now opens doors for individualism instead of unity.
Jett Howard, Franz Wagner, Paolo Banchero, Jonathan Isaac, Wendell Carter Jr
Anthony Black, Cole Anthony, Jalen Suggs, Joe Ingles, Chuma Okeke, Mo Wagner, Goga Bitadze LESSSGOOO!!!
Def Swami
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 15,151

Re: WE'RE BACK!! GAME THREAD (Bubble Edition): Orlando Magic vs. Brooklyn Nets 7/31/20 2:30 PM EST 

Post#322 » by Def Swami » Fri Jul 31, 2020 9:47 pm

Read on Twitter
MagicFan101
RealGM
And1: 6,501

Post#323 » by MagicFan101 » Fri Jul 31, 2020 10:03 pm

Knightro wrote:These Isaac quotes are certainly going to be taken in ways I don't think Jonathan expects them to be taken and it's unfortunate.

I 100% agree with Isaac and his right to show his beliefs in any way he is most comfortable.

I 100% agree with all players who chose to show their beliefs in a different way than Isaac has.

Both are completely acceptable because we all are free to have and share different ideas peacefully.

Sadly, I think Knightro and others are correct and Isaac may have issues to contend with.
RookieStar
RealGM
And1: 5,829

Post#324 » by RookieStar » Fri Jul 31, 2020 10:13 pm

MagicFan101 wrote:

I 100% agree with Isaac and his right to show his beliefs in any way he is most comfortable.

I 100% agree with all players who chose to show their beliefs in a different way than Isaac has.

Both are completely acceptable because we all are free to have and share different ideas peacefully.

Sadly, I think Knightro and others are correct and Isaac may have issues to contend with.

If you don't have social media, would you even "that" kind of issues?
Optimus_Steel
RealGM
And1: 11,184

Post#325 » by Optimus_Steel » Fri Jul 31, 2020 10:16 pm

Have to say I was very impressed with the defense played from halfway thru the 2nd quarter thru the end of the 3rd. Rotations and switches were awesome. Good win.
aka: prorl
ChosenSavior
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 12,773

Post#326 » by ChosenSavior » Fri Jul 31, 2020 10:25 pm

Ugly 1st and 4th quarters. Amazing 2nd and 3rd quarters which was more than enough to put away the Nets. We have a lot of work to do and certainly have good film to show on our lack of communication, focus and urgency that we were displaying throughout the game. Looking forward to Sunday's game against the Kings.

In regards to Isaac, I was going to stay away from this because I honestly don't care to talk about political matters on this forum but I thought it was very brave of JI to do what he did and kudos to him for standing for what he truly believes in. Honestly made me like him even more. It is a shame we live in a world where you are shunned by fellow humans when do not follow the status quo. People should have the freedom to believe in what they want to believe in and if there is disagreement, it shouldn't devolve into name calling and other forms of disrespect. That is how I feel about it.

I think JI will be fine handling the "potential backlash" from this.
ChosenSavior
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic

Post#327 » by ChosenSavior » Fri Jul 31, 2020 10:28 pm

Read on Twitter
basketballRob
RealGM
And1: 10,722

Post#328 » by basketballRob » Fri Jul 31, 2020 10:28 pm

Doing the opposite of what others are doing is akin to Bill Russell. He always went against the grain too.

Sent from my SM-G950U using RealGM mobile app
rcklsscognition
RealGM
And1: 7,141

Post#329 » by rcklsscognition » Fri Jul 31, 2020 10:28 pm

Bamba checks in and is in slot 1 for a FT right off the bat and let's the rebound go to the Nets. It all goes downhill fast from there, including 3 bricks from 3 and a lot of loafing around. Can't hate on Steve for playing Birch.
PrimeThyme
RealGM
And1: 14,380

Post#330 » by PrimeThyme » Fri Jul 31, 2020 10:30 pm

I said this on the GB thread about him, but anyone who thinks Isaac stands for anything other than equality and respect for everyone should dig deeper into his character and what he has done for this community. I have no reason to believe he is anything other than a good person who means well. That has nothing to do with his religion or politics either, it has to do with his actions and the things he's done since becoming a part of this organization.

The media can run with what they want, I'll choose to stand by him as a player and his right to support what he belives in.
basketballRob
RealGM
And1: 10,722

Post#331 » by basketballRob » Fri Jul 31, 2020 10:33 pm

PrimeThyme wrote:I said this on the GB thread about him, but anyone who thinks Isaac stands for anything other than equality and respect for everyone should dig deeper into his character and what he has done for this community. I have no reason to believe he is anything other than a good person who means well. That has nothing to do with his religion or politics either, it has to do with his actions and the things he's done since becoming a part of this organization.

The media can run with what they want, I'll choose to stand by him as a player and his right to support what he belives in.
Isaac probably welcomes the spotlight so he can spread his message.

Sent from my SM-G950U using RealGM mobile app
magicman112
Head Coach
And1: 1,888

Post#332 » by magicman112 » Fri Jul 31, 2020 10:45 pm

Well didn't end like we would have liked but it's tough to stay engaged when you're up so large on someone. Not excusing it they need to get better at that but got the W. Evan and Vuc played very well and Isaac played very well for the 2nd game in a row. He keeps it up and he'll likely end up starting. The muscle he's put on has really enabled him to withstand more contact and his shooting stroke has really improved.
fklt
Sixth Man
And1: 1,643

Post#333 » by fklt » Fri Jul 31, 2020 11:14 pm

feels good to return with a win. I want that revenge series against raptors.
Catledge
Starter
And1: 834

Post#334 » by Catledge » Fri Jul 31, 2020 11:36 pm

I love how Isaac played today and respect his right to his view and his voice, but I intensely disagree with his judgement. He just gave racist people the excuse they needed to refuse to support Black Lives, and I don't see how he helped his religion in the process.
FFBlitzace
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7,777

Post#335 » by FFBlitzace » Fri Jul 31, 2020 11:38 pm

First of all, hello to everyone again. I've always said that I would die as a RealGM poster and Magic watcher, and that never stopped being true despite my absence during the pseudo offseason.

Second, I already loved Isaac and now I love him even more. I'm what would be considered conservative in 2020 (but 15 years ago probably not, things have changed drastically). So I really can't stand a lot of the liberal things dominating our country right now, including kneeling. Isaac's reasons may be strictly religious and have nothing to do with politics, so I'm not going to say I'm happy because Isaac is my political ally in an otherwise liberal-dominated world of the NBA (and all sports and basically all media). I don't need Isaac to be my political ally because this isn't politics, this is basketball. I'm just impressed that he decided to do what he wanted to do instead of caving to the nonsensical virtue signaling. The notion that you have to kneel in order to show that you think black lives matter is completely absurd. Obviously black lives matter. No, I'm not missing the point. Obviously the sentiment of BLM is something we can all agree on. But the form of BLM that is dominating our culture right now isn't just a sentiment. Pushing back against the more nonsensical and radical things being shoved down our throats is not wrong and it's not missing any kind of point, because those things are completely separate from the sentiment and have their own separate agendas. Again, Isaac's reasons are his own, but I'm just impressed that he's willing to state the obvious, but unpopular, truth. This virtue signaling kneeling stunt means nothing, and if you want to stand for whatever reason you have, you're not automatically a bad person, or racist, or any of those things, and it's ludicrous to suggest otherwise.

Third, holy crap, the Bamba madness is out of control. Here's my interpretation of this. We've been bad a long time and it takes a toll on us hardcore fans. We want to be good. So we get a lottery pick, and this represents hope. Each person settles on a favored prospect and really pours a lot into it. This guy can bring us back, you just know it. When the Magic don't select that guy, it's devastating. Now you kinda want this other guy to fail, to show that they really should have listened to you. You had identified our savior and the Magic BLEW IT.
11/18/2017 - I have officially disowned Nikola Vucevic and branded him a loser.

- Skal Labissiere was my guy in 2016 pre-trade. Whoops, but I still believe.
- Malik Monk was my guy in 2017. Whoops(?)
- Mo Bamba was my guy in 2018. TBD.
ChosenSavior
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic

Post#336 » by ChosenSavior » Fri Jul 31, 2020 11:46 pm

FFBlitzace wrote:First of all, hello to everyone again. I've always said that I would die as a RealGM poster and Magic watcher, and that never stopped being true despite my absence during the pseudo offseason.

Second, I already loved Isaac and now I love him even more. I'm what would be considered conservative in 2020 (but 15 years ago probably not, things have changed drastically). So I really can't stand a lot of the liberal things dominating our country right now, including kneeling. Isaac's reasons may be strictly religious and have nothing to do with politics, so I'm not going to say I'm happy because Isaac is my political ally in an otherwise liberal-dominated world of the NBA (and all sports and basically all media). I don't need Isaac to be my political ally because this isn't politics, this is basketball. I'm just impressed that he decided to do what he wanted to do instead of caving to the nonsensical virtue signaling. The notion that you have to kneel in order to show that you think black lives matter is completely absurd. Obviously black lives matter. No, I'm not missing the point. Obviously the sentiment of BLM is something we can all agree on. But the form of BLM that is dominating our culture right now isn't just a sentiment. Pushing back against the more nonsensical and radical things being shoved down our throats is not wrong and it's not missing any kind of point, because those things are completely separate from the sentiment and have their own separate agendas. Again, Isaac's reasons are his own, but I'm just impressed that he's willing to state the obvious, but unpopular, truth. This virtue signaling kneeling stunt means nothing, and if you want to stand for whatever reason you have, you're not automatically a bad person, or racist, or any of those things, and it's ludicrous to suggest otherwise.

Third, holy crap, the Bamba madness is out of control. Here's my interpretation of this. We've been bad a long time and it takes a toll on us hardcore fans. We want to be good. So we get a lottery pick, and this represents hope. Each person settles on a favored prospect and really pours a lot into it. This guy can bring us back, you just know it. When the Magic don't select that guy, it's devastating. Now you kinda want this other guy to fail, to show that they really should have listened to you. You had identified our savior and the Magic BLEW IT.

Nice to have you back on here Blitz.
IllMagic04
Analyst
And1: 1,810

Post#337 » by IllMagic04 » Fri Jul 31, 2020 11:48 pm

Catledge wrote:I love how Isaac played today and respect his right to his view and his voice, but I intensely disagree with his judgement. He just gave racist people the excuse they needed to refuse to support Black Lives, and I don't see how he helped his religion in the process.
I agree with this.

Sent from my SM-G970U using RealGM mobile app
SOUL
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 37,630

Post#338 » by SOUL » Fri Jul 31, 2020 11:56 pm

FFBlitzace wrote:First of all, hello to everyone again. I've always said that I would die as a RealGM poster and Magic watcher, and that never stopped being true despite my absence during the pseudo offseason.

We're different politically but I agree with most of this!

IMO there shouldn't even be the anthem before games anyway, at least not publicly. Save it for special events or the Olympics or stuff like that, it doesn't make much sense in the context of happening before every sporting event.

That being said, I agreed with Kap's choice to kneel as long as it was for a respectful reason (which it was) and anybody that now stands for a respectful reason (which I'm sure Isaac's is from his explanation) is fine by me. I'm not too religious so whatever his explanation is didn't really mean anything to me, but he has been helping people in the Orlando area since he's been here and isn't all talk.

It's just **** how everything is a political statement now and both sides are pretty complicit in propping up people for their agenda/what they believe in (whether it's "right" or "wrong"). I think there are tons of people on the right who don't like seeing minorities or black people succeed, as well as people on the left "supporting" BLM/movements who are **** people who just want to look good for "clout" and do nothing to help.
fklt
Sixth Man
And1: 1,643

Post#339 » by fklt » Sat Aug 1, 2020 12:24 am

going against the grain always takes guts. and I trust people who are true to their values way more than the masses with an instinct ever to fit in.

that being said, I don't understand this talk of a liberal-modern world. memory of seeing a guy get shunned and run out of town for doing exactly what everyone is doing today is still quite fresh. social trends swing like a pendulum and what's accepted becomes condemned overnight. now that the NBA is parading BLM stickers, doesn't mean you live in a hippie dreamworld in the US. america moved so far to the right in the past 50 years, you use what the rest of the world would consider a right wing label: "liberal" to mean left. anyways. I'll shut up now. apologize if this derails the thread for the first actual game since forever.
FFBlitzace
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7,777

Post#340 » by FFBlitzace » Sat Aug 1, 2020 12:33 am

SOUL wrote:
We're different politically but I agree with most of this!

IMO there shouldn't even be the anthem before games anyway, at least not publicly. Save it for special events or the Olympics or stuff like that, it doesn't make much sense in the context of happening before every sporting event.

That being said, I agreed with Kap's choice to kneel as long as it was for a respectful reason (which it was) and anybody that now stands for a respectful reason (which I'm sure Isaac's is from his explanation) is fine by me. I'm not too religious so whatever his explanation is didn't really mean anything to me, but he has been helping people in the Orlando area since he's been here and isn't all talk.

It's just **** how everything is a political statement now and both sides are pretty complicit in propping up people for their agenda/what they believe in (whether it's "right" or "wrong"). I think there are tons of people on the right who don't like seeing minorities or black people succeed, as well as people on the left "supporting" BLM/movements who are **** people who just want to look good for "clout" and do nothing to help.
[/quote]

Hey, I could own a closet full of MAGA hats (which I don't, I don't even own 1) and you could be stepping up to the mic at the Democratic Socialists Convention to ask about a "point of personal privilege" (which you're probably not), but in the context of being fellow Magic fans on RealGM, none of that should be relevant as long as we're all nice to each other. On a personal level, at least. On a basketball-specific opinion, if someone disagrees with me, obviously they're a moron.

But yeah I mean, you mentioned doing things to gain clout, I called it virtue signaling, it's the same kind of thing. How many of these athletes, celebrities, or just normal people on Twitter or Reddit actually care? What are they actually doing to help facilitate righting any perceived wrongs? Because obviously kneeling during an anthem or blasting Trump on Twitter doesn't magically do anything. It's about as effective as Michael Scott yelling "I...declare...bankruptcy!" Nobody should get praised for that. I'm not saying kneeling is just strictly bad and that everyone who does it is stupid. If a guy truly believes it counts for something, and is also actually out there using his privilege of being a well-off athlete to do something tangible, then so be it. Or, in a different scenario, let's imagine a guy like Evan Fournier. Not American, not black, doesn't really have a dog in this race, so to speak. But he kneels to support his teammates that are kneeling. I don't actually know what's in Fournier's head, this is just a hypothetical scenario, with the point being that I think something like that is respectable.

Ultimately I hate that politics is so mainstream and injected into everything. Why in the world has sports become a political platform. A player can't just go out and play his game now. First he has to play another game, where his performance in said game will decide his guilt in the court of public opinion. A good guy like Isaac getting criticized for this is a travesty. And let's not forget that he has never pushed his religion. His religion is known, he hasn't hidden it, we know he's a minister. But this has not been a repeat of a young and naive Dwight Howard talking about changing the NBA logo. Which was overblown anyway, but that's neither here nor there.
11/18/2017 - I have officially disowned Nikola Vucevic and branded him a loser.

- Skal Labissiere was my guy in 2016 pre-trade. Whoops, but I still believe.
- Malik Monk was my guy in 2017. Whoops(?)
- Mo Bamba was my guy in 2018. TBD.

Return to Orlando Magic