ImageImageImageImage

2020 NBA Playoffs Round 1 Game 5- Orlando Magic vs Milwaukee Bucks (3-1) 4:00 pm EST on NBA TV and Fox Sports FL

Moderators: UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL

SOUL
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 37,595

Re: 2020 NBA Playoffs Round 1 Game 5- Orlando Magic vs Milwaukee Bucks (3-1) 4:00 pm EST on NBA TV and Fox Sports FL 

Post#121 » by SOUL » Wed Aug 26, 2020 11:08 pm

FFBlitzace wrote:I'm white and I'm a man, so by some people's rules, that means I'm so privileged that my opinion does not count and literally COULD NOT count, because it's impossible for me to relate to any kind of struggle. But yet, NBA players, some of the most privileged people on the planet, don't get hit with that same penalty? I work full time for a modest living and my opinion is invalid due to privilege, but millionaires who have been recruited since as young as middle school age somehow pass some kind of privilege test which allows them to be taken seriously but not me. Give me a break.

Actually an interesting post, Blitz. It made me consider a few things I haven't previously though of. I do think you're missing the mark a little with one thing in particular when it comes to like NBA privilege. If you're considering talent as a privilege, then yes, these guys hit the jackpot. But it's talent they honed and worked on for years and years. It's not as if (at least in most cases) they saw a player and just molded him into the perfect NBA player because they knew he was going to grow to 6'6" and be able to score with ease. It's a self-serving business for scouts and agents to pick up on players that may have enough talent to play in the NBA.

This has nothing to do with being a human being and is strictly talent based. Now, not everybody has the privilege of being scouted for talent to be pipe-lined into the NBA. Some people have to play in JuCo, overseas, etc before they even get a chance so on a micro level, I get what you're saying, but I'm not sure if that has anything to do with having a voice or opinion on politics. They do have the privilege of having a bigger audience and platform to do things which gives them more of a chance to be taken seriously, but let's get real. Anybody on either side of the aisle politically that has a platform and an internet connection can be "taken seriously" nowadays if they have the audience for it. Sterling Brown did have a direct experience with cops wrongfully tasered and tackled him, so we can't even say "they don't have to worry about this because they're rich athletes".

Also your post brought to me how important having a "'voice" is, or feeling like you have one. I've seen a lot of white men (as you described yourself, not putting words in your mouth :lol:) echo similar feelings and I know in today's climate it's met with "Well, how does it feel?" because historically, black people, gay people, etc, etc, did not have the voice that they have today or are starting to have today, and obviously feeling voiceless sucks. Things have come to a crossroads now because historically, yes, rich or influential white men have had the most powerful/listened to voice in America for centuries and centuries but it's not like that applies to the large majority of white people. So now some white people feel the same feelings other people felt and now the people who felt voiceless for so long feel powerful while people who didn't have a stake in anything really feel slighted. The actual truth is that everybody has a voice now, but we're all just screaming over each other saying how the other person is wrong or shouldn't have a voice and nobody is actually taking each other seriously.

I laughed at the Education Reform message for some players but I understand why that's so important. This is just as much a class thing (or even more so) than a race thing in America, we have a lot of poverty issues and education issues that everybody likes to gloss over when it's probably the single most important thing for our future. The amount of people in poverty that are disproportionately black compared to their population in the U.S. is staggering, and that leads to different sort of schooling, being policed different, more prone to avenues to get into drugs/violence which perpetuates a cycle that is hard to get out of. Reminds me of the whole "crabs in a bucket" saying because it's hard to get out for anybody that's poor and doesn't have easily identifiable avenues to better resources.
Statlanta
RealGM
And1: 9,249

Re: 2020 NBA Playoffs Round 1 Game 5- Orlando Magic vs Milwaukee Bucks (3-1) 4:00 pm EST on NBA TV and Fox Sports FL 

Post#122 » by Statlanta » Wed Aug 26, 2020 11:08 pm

FFBlitzace wrote:
"Their lives."

So what's going on in their lives? Has the fishing pond at the bubble run dry? It can't be that shooting in Wisconsin, because that event was as far removed from their lives as it was from mine.

Ironically most of us, have been or can drive to the area around the bubble. We, and likely the (Milwaukee) players as well probably have never set foot in that town to even understand the police situation.
East #1 Draft Picks: Fultz, Banchero, Wiggins, Cuninigham
West #1 Draft Picks: Edwards, WIlliamson, Ayton, Towns
GabrielKills
Junior
And1: 41
Location: Clearance! This week future hall of famers are buy 1 get 1 free. Everything must go!

Post#123 » by GabrielKills » Wed Aug 26, 2020 11:10 pm

Rainwater wrote:
Statlanta wrote:Say what you want.

The Clippers didn't boycott when Sterling had comments which directly affected them.
Yet the players let this incident outside the league make them affect the playoffs.

Clippers did demonstrate. But action was going to happen in regards to Sterling but nothing is happening in regards to the unarmed killing of black men. Different situation.

To be precise it has not been confirmed by the state prosecution if the alleged victim was armed or not and additionally the presence of any weapons in the vehicle have not yet been released. These details are more than material to this matter. It is actually important to know all the facts before anyone can use this and an example to then try and draw generalized conclusions about our society at large.
John Gabriel- a Magic Man

"franchise players disappear, right before your very eyes"
MagicFan101
RealGM
And1: 6,501

Post#124 » by MagicFan101 » Wed Aug 26, 2020 11:27 pm

I really wish all (even half) of these snowflakes saying they are done with the NBA because their privileged little minds can’t understand what this is about would actually follow through with it and be done ... sadly, they will be back tomorrow.
Rainwater
General Manager
And1: 5,631

Post#125 » by Rainwater » Wed Aug 26, 2020 11:39 pm

GabrielKills wrote:
Rainwater wrote:

The Clippers didn't boycott when Sterling had comments which directly affected them.
Yet the players let this incident outside the league make them affect the playoffs.

Clippers did demonstrate. But action was going to happen in regards to Sterling but nothing is happening in regards to the unarmed killing of black men. Different situation.

To be precise it has not been confirmed by the state prosecution if the alleged victim was armed or not and additionally the presence of any weapons in the vehicle have not yet been released. These details are more than material to this matter. It is actually important to know all the facts before anyone can use this and an example to then try and draw generalized conclusions about our society at large.

Trust, me I get both sides of the issue and I know the importance of due process but the perspective of the police aside, my post and your post was in regards to the perspective of the African American community and the players. For them it's just not this case but all the cases where people are shot and killed and they feel nothing is done.
Ducklett
Head Coach
And1: 5,006

Post#126 » by Ducklett » Wed Aug 26, 2020 11:48 pm

MagicHolland wrote:As much as I wish for everyone that we could all some day see eachother as human beings instead of black, white, yellow or blue.. I think a stronger statement could’ve been made by playing.

Again, I hope one day skin color just does not matter at all. Just be a good human being and respect eachother.

I can’t wait for the world to return to somewhat sane again. 2020 has been a disaster. Take care guys, all of you! Peace, from the Netherlands!

Not seeing color is racist now. That is the problem will all of this honestly. The goalposts are constantly moved, changed, altered, or destroyed because there are too many groups that need it to be a problem for funding, power, and purpose.
Max Power
Head Coach
And1: 1,204

Post#127 » by Max Power » Thu Aug 27, 2020 12:13 am

Ducklett, that’s a very insightful thought. Having perfectly peaceful notions are being spun into racist hyperbole now.

People being blasted for saying all lives matter and not being exclusive saying Black lives matter. To me that’s just a little too literal in the approach. Another thing I think that’s problematic and authors confusion is the term black lives matter term itself.

Of course all living, breathing black lives both current, prior and generations hence matter, but I think the confusion lies with the Black Lives Matter organization which if memory was almost declared a terrorist organization at one time. I think some clarity there could help whites have more of an understanding of who to support out there and what groups are out just making trouble and hindering a noble world changing cause.
You look confused...let me fill you in.
GabrielKills
Junior
And1: 41
Location: Clearance! This week future hall of famers are buy 1 get 1 free. Everything must go!

Post#128 » by GabrielKills » Thu Aug 27, 2020 12:16 am

GabrielKills wrote:
Rainwater wrote:

Actually AG Josh Kaul has now released a statement that the alleged victim was armed with a knife.

PLAYBALL!
John Gabriel- a Magic Man

"franchise players disappear, right before your very eyes"
Ducklett
Head Coach
And1: 5,006

Post#129 » by Ducklett » Thu Aug 27, 2020 12:20 am

GabrielKills wrote:
GabrielKills wrote:
Rainwater wrote:

Actually AG Josh Kaul has now released a statement that the alleged victim was armed with a knife.

PLAYBALL!

One watch of the video of everyone screaming "Drop the Knife" i think gave that away minute one...
Xatticus
Head Coach
And1: 7,960

Post#130 » by Xatticus » Thu Aug 27, 2020 12:31 am

MartinsIzAfraud wrote:
swarlesbarkley wrote:
Howard Mass wrote:I am Proud of The Milwaukee Bucks here for taking a stance. Jacob Blake's life matters and he should not have to wonder if he is ever going to walk again.. Happy The Orlando Magic are a part of this moment too.

Not just Blake, but the 2 protesters who were killed last night by a Blue Lives Matter 17 year old too. Absolute garbage.

Calling them protesters is laughable, however homie shouldn’t be walking the streets with a long rifle.

A riot is the language of the unheard.
"Xatticus has always been, in my humble opinion best poster here. Should write articles or something."
-pepe1991
basketballRob
RealGM
And1: 10,719

Post#131 » by basketballRob » Thu Aug 27, 2020 12:43 am

What's up with them not having body cams or tasers? All officers should have body cams.

Sent from my SM-G950U using RealGM mobile app
dsg2021
Analyst
And1: 1,037

Post#132 » by dsg2021 » Thu Aug 27, 2020 12:52 am

For me personally, this would be the best Magic game in history if the outcome was 1) firing the police officers involved (at the minimum), 2) police reform to more willingly replace historically racially discriminatory officers, and install programs to invest and support in officers who prioritize citizen safety over their own. And most of all, 3) education reform or funding, which is my number one outstanding priority to make our country, with every race in it, more equal and more powerful together. Breaking the bad parts of the system starts with better education for our younger generations. This potentially includes expanding on non-academic areas too, like scholarships, anti-predatory loaning, teaching salary, having family life seminars and optional religion/theology classes, more school counselors, etc. etc. Please be compassionate and caring to one another in whatever ways we can be, small and big!
swarlesbarkley
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,153

Post#133 » by swarlesbarkley » Thu Aug 27, 2020 12:55 am

Statlanta wrote:
FFBlitzace wrote:
"Their lives."

So what's going on in their lives? Has the fishing pond at the bubble run dry? It can't be that shooting in Wisconsin, because that event was as far removed from their lives as it was from mine.

Ironically most of us, have been or can drive to the area around the bubble. We, and likely the (Milwaukee) players as well probably have never set foot in that town to even understand the police situation.

I lived in Milwaukee from 2011-2015. I'm sure some of the players have been to Kenosha - there's some nice lake front property there and some great restaurants.

But more importantly, even if the Bucks players have not been to Kenosha, at least one of them knows about the Milwaukee Police Department and the racial injustice in Milwaukee: Sterling Brown.

https://www.theplayerstribune.com/en-us/articles/sterling-brown-milwaukee-police-racial-injustice

This stuff even happens to rich and talented athletes.
basketballRob
RealGM
And1: 10,719

Post#134 » by basketballRob » Thu Aug 27, 2020 12:59 am

Ducklett wrote:
GabrielKills wrote:
GabrielKills wrote:

PLAYBALL!

One watch of the video of everyone screaming "Drop the Knife" i think gave that away minute one...
I was just reading that he had one in the car, not on him? I think every guy has a knife in the car.

MartinsIzAfraud
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,118

Post#135 » by MartinsIzAfraud » Thu Aug 27, 2020 1:04 am

Xatticus wrote:
MartinsIzAfraud wrote:
swarlesbarkley wrote:
Not just Blake, but the 2 protesters who were killed last night by a Blue Lives Matter 17 year old too. Absolute garbage.

Calling them protesters is laughable, however homie shouldn’t be walking the streets with a long rifle.

A riot is the language of the unheard.

Guarantee 1/2 the people rioting could care less about BLM and are just happy they can **** **** up and get away with it. Hence why **** like below is happening.

Read on Twitter
A scoring guard.. never heard of one. :roll:
MartinsIzAfraud
Lead Assistant

Post#136 » by MartinsIzAfraud » Thu Aug 27, 2020 1:07 am

basketballRob wrote:What's up with them not having body cams or tasers? All officers should have body cams.

They didn’t have the budget for it apparently?

Kenosha Mayor John Antaramian told reporters that the department itself isn't equipped with cameras, but the city has budgeted money for body cameras in its 2022 budget.

In 2017, according to the Kenosha News, a former city alderman passed a resolution for all Kenosha police officers to wear body cameras.
MagicMatic
RealGM
And1: 12,958

Post#137 » by MagicMatic » Thu Aug 27, 2020 1:15 am

Whether or not athletes feel like protesting, nba players sitting out of basketball games won’t change a single thing. Their issue isn’t with policy, it’s with humanity. There will always be issues of injustice.

My issue with this is that it becomes a slippery slope. I don’t see what they will achieve other than using the nba as a platform, rather than for entertainment purposes, when they see fit.
MartinsIzAfraud
Lead Assistant

Post#138 » by MartinsIzAfraud » Thu Aug 27, 2020 1:19 am

GabrielKills wrote:
GabrielKills wrote:
Rainwater wrote:

PLAYBALL!

Apparently he also wasn’t there breaking up a fight even though the media wants you to believe that. He was asked to leave and didn’t and took the girls keys and walked away outside.

Police knew before they got to the house he wasn’t supposed to be there and had a warrant out for his arrest.

911 dispatch call

https://madison365.com/kenohsa-police-opened-fire-less-than-5-minutes-after-being-called-scanner-audio/

Blake shouldn’t have been shot 7 times.
He also didn’t do anything to help himself out of the situation.
swarlesbarkley
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,153

Post#139 » by swarlesbarkley » Thu Aug 27, 2020 1:22 am

I think we're kind of missing the point here. The Bucks aren't really boycotting anything - they are doing what they can to put the spotlight on the Kenosha situation. I don't think any of them are upset at the NBA, though I'm sure they're getting a bit stir crazy in the bubble at this point. Apparently some members of the Bucks were on the phone with the Wisconsin Attorney General this afternoon as well - so boycotting the game wasn't just for show - they're attempting to do something more.

And, maybe more importantly (from my perspective), they also probably didn't want to be the entertainment for the night and the way for many Americans to "escape" and not think about the situation.

Totally respect and understand that.
MagicStarwipe
RealGM
And1: 12,050

Post#140 » by MagicStarwipe » Thu Aug 27, 2020 1:47 am

Police should be able to open fire on a person IF the situation calls for it and not have it start riots. The problem as I see it is police are too quick to open fire or use excessive force, particularly on black people.

White people can have an opinion obviously, but the one thing you can't do is try to dictate how black people should feel about this. Not even if you are poor and they are rich. Racism is a problem (not only in America). Something needs to change and things don't change if there is no awareness brought to the issues. You can't expect a perfect reaction or perfect movement from any group. The bottom line is things need to change.
RealGM Classics - Oladipo's "rude" celebration comes back to bite him: viewtopic.php?f=25&t=1358414

Return to Orlando Magic