ImageImageImageImage

Magic fans, are you happy or upset to see Dwight win a championship with the Lakers?

Moderators: UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL

dsg2003mach1
Senior
And1: 458

Re: Magic fans, are you happy or upset to see Dwight win a championship with the Lakers? 

Post#21 » by dsg2003mach1 » Mon Oct 12, 2020 2:31 pm

eh, he seems to have pulled his head out of his ass a bit so it's kind of whatever at this point.
OrlandoNed
Head Coach
And1: 4,764

Re: Magic fans, are you happy or upset to see Dwight win a championship with the Lakers? 

Post#22 » by OrlandoNed » Mon Oct 12, 2020 2:37 pm

I do not care in the slightest.
swarlesbarkley
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,152

Post#23 » by swarlesbarkley » Mon Oct 12, 2020 4:18 pm

I found it funny in the series vs Denver that he acted so confident and cocky on the court when he never had that attitude here in Orlando. I guess it's easy to be have that attitude when you're a bench player with LeBron and AD leading the team.

Curuso made more of an impact in the finals. But I gotta hand it to Dwight - he was a great cheerleader and instigator from the bench.

So yeah I guess I'm a little salty.
Max Power
Head Coach
And1: 1,204

Post#24 » by Max Power » Mon Oct 12, 2020 4:36 pm

Call me a sore loser if you must but I’m not happy for him. Dwight Howard is a classless bum, and he won that ring off LeBron James’ back. His back was crushed by expectations he couldn’t hold up when he was the man. He’s a pine rider now and he and his stupid purple hair can retire never to be seen again now. On a side note, the best sports story yesterday wasn’t the media whore Lakers title, it was Alex Smiths return to football.
You look confused...let me fill you in.
pepe1991
RealGM
And1: 16,125

Post#25 » by pepe1991 » Mon Oct 12, 2020 5:06 pm

why bother ? This is era vast majority of "stars" will get ring eventually, if they are willing to take small roles at old age...

Over last few years this players won ring because of how nba works nowdays: Marc Gasol, Ibaka, Dwight Howard Rondo, Igoudala, David West, Matt Barnes,Zaza Paculia, Nick Young, Jeremy Lin Jodie Meeks, Justin Holiday, Barbosa, Mo Speights...

Tracy Mcgrady almost won a ring not even being suited up for games...

NBA player's movment pretty much killed any desire of lot of people to watch nba that's why ratings are worst in 20 years. It's just bunch of players jumping teams, no loyality. Vast majority of today's fans don't even root for teams, but individual players. It's impossible to enjoy today's nba product as team like Lakers buy off supertalents because stars push their way to play for them. I mean it's not like other teams can't pay them, it's being done for no other reason but to make more money in LA and being closer to media fapping and drooling over them. Only Lakers player can be called "better than Tim Duncan" with 1 ring in his pockets, at age of 27, 0 MVPs, not even being able to carry team to playoffs as solo star.
Just watching how " Lebron is GOAT" narrative kicked in when he moved to LA.

tbh i find myself questioning why i even watch this sharade more and more. This playoffs, after Magic got eliminated , i watched 3 games, and not even full games. It's just not what it used to be. Next summer some Harden might push his way to Lakers, or Giannis to Clippers or Warriors. You never know. Or, in middle of regular season, 18 ppg player on mediocre team might be relised to make contender even more stronger, while playing there for $2M , while, in mean time, small market team can't even keep his mediocrity in FA for $20M.
Life is what happens when you're busy making other plans. -John Lennon
MagicMatic
RealGM
And1: 12,663

Post#26 » by MagicMatic » Mon Oct 12, 2020 5:16 pm

Who gives a ****. He got what he wanted. A championship in LA even though he’s washed. Should we be happy for Quinn Cook, Talen Horton Tucker, and JaVale McGee too?
MagicMatic
RealGM

Post#27 » by MagicMatic » Mon Oct 12, 2020 5:28 pm

pepe1991 wrote:why bother ? This is era vast majority of "stars" will get ring eventually, if they are willing to take small roles at old age...

Over last few years this players won ring because of how nba works nowdays: Marc Gasol, Ibaka, Dwight Howard Rondo, Igoudala, David West, Matt Barnes,Zaza Paculia, Nick Young, Jeremy Lin Jodie Meeks, Justin Holiday, Barbosa, Mo Speights...

NBA player's movment pretty much killed any desire of lot of people to watch nba that's why ratings are worst in 20 years. It's just bunch of players jumping teams, no loyality. Vast majority of today's fans don't even root for teams, but individual players. It's impossible to enjoy today's nba product as team like Lakers buy off supertalents because stars push their way to play for them. I mean it's not like other teams can't pay them, it's being done for no other reason but to make more money in LA and being closer to media fapping and drooling over them. Only Lakers player can be called "better than Tim Duncan" with 1 ring in his pockets, at age of 27, 0 MVPs, not even being able to carry team to playoffs as solo star.

tbh i find myself questioning why i even watch this sharade more and more. This playoffs, after Magic got eliminated , i watched 3 games, and not even full games. It's just not what it used to be. Next summer some Harden might push his way to Lakers, or Giannis to Clippers or Warriors. You never know. Or, in middle of regular season, 18 ppg player on mediocre team might be relised to make contender even more stronger, while playing there for $2M , while, in mean time, small market team can't even keep his mediocrity in FA for $20M.

I honestly have been thinking about moving on from caring about the nba. It’s gotten ridiculous to the point that it’s not even worthy of investing time. These last few years have been unbearable both as a Magic fan and as a fan of competitive basketball.
OrlandO
RealGM
And1: 16,421

Post#28 » by OrlandO » Mon Oct 12, 2020 6:08 pm

He started 9 total games all season... played 1 minute of garbage time in the championship win. Who cares?
pepe1991
RealGM
And1: 16,125

Post#29 » by pepe1991 » Mon Oct 12, 2020 6:57 pm

MagicMatic wrote:
pepe1991 wrote:why bother ? This is era vast majority of "stars" will get ring eventually, if they are willing to take small roles at old age...

I honestly have been thinking about moving on from caring about the nba. It’s gotten ridiculous to the point that it’s not even worthy of investing time. These last few years have been unbearable both as a Magic fan and as a fan of competitive basketball.

I just don't like basketball like i used to any more, it's awkward... i still enjoy playing it, just not enjoy watching regular NBA season s**storm of 44 min of garbage time and no defense where random mediocrities like Schroder and Devonte Graham attemp 20 shots a game, and where teams just bomb uncotested 40 threes, because other team is too lazy to bother defending it and they just wait to get ball back, ridiculous stat padding of " superstars" like Westbrook , Derozan, Aldrige (...), complete fabrication of "storylines" to keep drama and fake exitment among fans mostly in complete control of media narrative ( xy unfollowed xy on instagram that means ... fill point blank).
I feel like it's a league that panders to 12 years old pre puberty boys and teens, but with enough half baked politics to tune other fans off. Warriors- Raptors, series where Klay and Durant got hurt, in one of most lobsided nba finals ever, had 57% better ratings than this year's finals with Lebron and Davis. People simply don't care about a league where franchizes have no control whatsoever over players as they just hord in LA and NY. What's the point of a draft? Wolves won a draft? Good for them, they will make nice farm for some Lakers, Nets, Celtics or Warriors of the future. Is Towns aveliable yet?
Life is what happens when you're busy making other plans. -John Lennon
MagicMatic
RealGM

Post#30 » by MagicMatic » Mon Oct 12, 2020 7:22 pm

pepe1991 wrote:
MagicMatic wrote:

People simply don't care about a league where franchizes have no control whatsoever over players as they just hord in LA and NY. What's the point of a draft? Wolves won a draft? Good for them, they will make nice farm for some Lakers, Nets, Celtics or Warriors of the future. Is Towns aveliable yet?

This is what resonates with me most. The actual game being played means nothing because the game being played on a macroscopic level matters more.

Ignorance is bliss...

I wish I was a supreme casual that didn’t know it was all being rigged by the player empowerment movement. The moves being made by both LA teams this offseason were beyond disgusting IMO.

There is no competitive game in today’s league in terms of Front Offices making smart decisions. Hell, we are on a forum called “REAL GM” they might as well rename it “Proxy GM” considering front offices have no power anymore. There is no adversity for these built teams, and the nba isn’t for the fans anymore. It’s for the players, their egos, and the casuals that would rather watch an all star game.
Xatticus
Head Coach
And1: 7,936

Post#31 » by Xatticus » Mon Oct 12, 2020 10:04 pm

pepe1991 wrote:
MagicMatic wrote:

I just don't like basketball like i used to any more, it's awkward... i still enjoy playing it, just not enjoy watching regular NBA season s**storm of 44 min of garbage time and no defense where random mediocrities like Schroder and Devonte Graham attemp 20 shots a game, and where teams just bomb uncotested 40 threes, because other team is too lazy to bother defending it and they just wait to get ball back, ridiculous stat padding of " superstars" like Westbrook , Derozan, Aldrige (...), complete fabrication of "storylines" to keep drama and fake exitment among fans mostly in complete control of media narrative ( xy unfollowed xy on instagram that means ... fill point blank).
I feel like it's a league that panders to 12 years old pre puberty boys and teens, but with enough half baked politics to tune other fans off. Warriors- Raptors, series where Klay and Durant got hurt, in one of most lobsided nba finals ever, had 57% better ratings than this year's finals with Lebron and Davis. People simply don't care about a league where franchizes have no control whatsoever over players as they just hord in LA and NY. What's the point of a draft? Wolves won a draft? Good for them, they will make nice farm for some Lakers, Nets, Celtics or Warriors of the future. Is Towns aveliable yet?

I get all of that, but there is still a lot of attractive basketball being played in the NBA right now. It just sucks that the 'superstars' have the power to rig the game. I am not opposed to player empowerment, but I loathe the advantages that the big markets have and that a player can actively tank (Davis) and get everything he wants and more. There were just no repercussions to his disgraceful behavior last season.

I'd like to see something like a service-time (for the team) bonus on contracts that is picked up by the league and that doesn't count against the cap. Basically, it would just be a percentage bonus based on how long you have represented the team you play for. Maybe fund it with revenue from the luxury tax and make teams over the luxury tax threshold ineligible for the compensation.
I don't know. If a player wants to move... then fine, but there should be an incentive for players to stay where they are or the best players are always going to end up in the biggest markets. The problems with the supermax are that it can be crippling to the team, it doesn't make up for the difference in other sources of income, and that there just aren't enough players in the league that are going to be impacted by the provision.

All of that said, there are still some teams I enjoy watching. I just don't at all enjoy watching the Lakers or Clippers. I won't watch the Nets. Frankly, watching the Magic is rather boring as well. Denver is fun to watch. I liked watching Phoenix, New Orleans, Boston, and Miami. I actually really enjoyed watching the Warriors dynasty as well. They certainly aren't a traditional power and they played a very attractive brand of basketball. I look forward to seeing them next year without Durant. There are a lot of things I dislike about the NBA, but I love basketball. It's just such an attractive sport.
"Xatticus has always been, in my humble opinion best poster here. Should write articles or something."
-pepe1991
BadMofoPimp
RealGM
And1: 11,574

Post#32 » by BadMofoPimp » Tue Oct 13, 2020 12:44 am

Dwight? Na, he was a non factor. I am more angry that Vrank Fogel won a ship!

Provin Ya'll Wrong!!!
PrimeThyme
RealGM
And1: 14,326

Post#33 » by PrimeThyme » Tue Oct 13, 2020 12:54 am

I'm in the neither boat as well. Though, I will say that the Dwight crying live stream last night where everyone was losing their minds over how "inspirational" it was did leave me a bit annoyed. After following him for so long I've just found that there is really nothing genuine about him. He was a great basketball player at one time, but those times have long passed and so has the good guy schtick for me as well.

Idk, maybe I could still be somewhat bitter but I'm certainly not happy to see him win. Especially on the Lakers of all teams with Frank Vogel as their head coach.

I would have preferred Dwight to just have phased out of the league before the season like he seemed to be on the way to doing before the Cousins injury. Just so I'd never have to give him another thought until 10 years from now when we give him a meaningless ring of honor induction.
SD2042
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
And1: 2,413

Post#34 » by SD2042 » Tue Oct 13, 2020 8:41 am

Bensational wrote:Largely indifferent, but I'm happy for him. Guy gave the franchise some of its best and most relevant years.

There's something poetic in him having his first (and only other) finals with us, having his first finals win here in Orlando (in 09), and now he's come back and won a finals in Orlando, now playing for the Lakers.

And he's been pretty humbled over the past decade, so overall, good for him I reckon.

That's the true definition of irony for Howard.

As for him getting a title, it's indifferent for me. I hold no ill will towards Howard as he brought his own tumultous career on himself over the years. I'm glad that he finally wised up and got humbled for a change.
paperboymafia
Analyst
And1: 636

Post#35 » by paperboymafia » Tue Oct 13, 2020 1:25 pm

Upset? Nah, I didn't get any joy from it but I mean I'd hope none of us are childish enough to hold an actual grudge this long. He got what he wanted, good on him.

In any caseThe guy will end up being a footnote in NBA history.

"Remember that guy who did the Superman dunk?"

"Nate Robinson?"

lol
j-ragg
RealGM
And1: 11,650

Post#36 » by j-ragg » Tue Oct 13, 2020 1:47 pm

Doesn’t bother me that he won at all. Sad to see he’s still an **** on the court who can’t control his “emotions” if that’s what you call it.

I’m a Lakers hater admittedly like most of the country but this team was particularly unlikeable. LBJ, AD, Rondo, Morris, Dwight, JR, Waiters, Caruso (even though not totally his fault). Never liked them.

But obviously can’t deny Lebron’s greatness, he delivered for em.
BadMofoPimp wrote:Durant thinks Vooch is one of the Best Centers in the NBA. I will take his word over a couch-GM yelling at a TV.
drsd
RealGM
And1: 7,818

Post#37 » by drsd » Tue Oct 13, 2020 3:12 pm

I am happier for Frank Vogel. Paid his dues and then got a real roster. Nice.
KillMonger
RealGM
And1: 9,854

Post#38 » by KillMonger » Tue Oct 13, 2020 4:29 pm

is there a thread like this on the Houston/Washington/Atlanta and charlotte boards?
drsd
RealGM
And1: 7,818

Post#39 » by drsd » Tue Oct 13, 2020 9:13 pm

OrlandoNed wrote:I do not care in the slightest.

I am a fan or the Orlando Magic, and not a fan of any given player.

So: that Orlando did not win the title this year, I am indifferent to what of the other 29 teams - or players on their roster - that wins it.

MagicMadness
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,331

Post#40 » by MagicMadness » Tue Oct 13, 2020 10:52 pm

Eh, good for him. Instead of languishing in Charlotte or Atlanta, he's a decent role player on a Lebron James title team. I'd take it.

If he can stay on the Lakers and maintain his role, maybe he gets another ring or two.

Return to Orlando Magic