ImageImageImageImage

Dec. 18, 2010: The Day The Wheels Came Off

Moderators: Howard Mass, UCF, ChosenSavior, Knightro, SOUL, Def Swami, UCFJayBird

Kent
Sixth Man
And1: 119

Dec. 18, 2010: The Day The Wheels Came Off 

Post#1 » by Kent » Wed Oct 14, 2020 3:37 am

Please let me preface this post by saying I'm living in the now and not bitter about how things are for us Magic fans. I recognize fandom is an up-and-down affair and better days are coming. But no day in Magic history irks me more than this one...

On December 18, 2010, then-Orlando GM Otis Smith made two blockbuster trades that altered the trajectory of the Magic franchise forever...

* Rashard Lewis was sent to Washington for Gilbert Arenas

* Vince Carter, Marcin Gortat, Michael Pietrus, 2011 FRP and cash was shipped to Phoenix for Hedo Turkoglu, Jason Richardson, and Earl Clark

At the time, the team was mired in a slump having lost 5 of their last 6 games and dropping from first in the conference standings to fourth.

I hated the move then. Obviously I don't like it now.

It set into motion the beginning of the end for the D12 era and put us in the position of where we are now.

Smith was way too quick to shuffle the deck. I have no doubt the team that got to the Eastern Conference Finals a year earlier would have climbed out of their funk and contended against the Heat in the ECF.

I realize Carter went missing in that series against Boston and remember Lewis was sick, but they were too good up to that point to not run it back with those guys.

As it was, the look and chemistry of the team never recovered, and Dwight eventually wanted out.

I'm curious what everyone else's thoughts were at the time of the trade and how you might've handled things if you were GM.
Ryan Anderson = Pat Garrity 10.0
-LBPTarHeel27

Return to Orlando Magic