ImageImageImageImage

2020 Offseason: Trade Ideas / Trade Talk

Moderators: Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL, UCF

Tarheel
Sixth Man
And1: 767

Re: 2020 Offseason: Trade Ideas / Trade Talk 

Post#61 » by Tarheel » Wed Oct 21, 2020 2:35 pm

j-ragg wrote:I could listen to a Lowe pod dedicated to hypothetical trades every day haha. There were some interesting ideas.

I know sometimes they tend to hype up certain drafts/off seasons for viewers but people seem to genuinely think there’ll be a lot of movement this offseason. I guess I figured the opposite due to uncertain revenue constraints but I hope he’s right. NBA offseason has been more entertaining than the regular season the past couple years.

I'm hoping that the financial constraints lead to more movement overall.

Teams will lean more heavily on trades as a way of improving for next year with the poor FA class and (probable) shrinking cap. Not to mention it's been like 8 months since the trade deadline.

Hopefully the CBA gets finalised soon so that the league can open up the transaction window and all the fun stuff can start.
MagicFan101
RealGM
And1: 6,498

Post#62 » by MagicFan101 » Wed Oct 21, 2020 4:28 pm

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/30040447/nba-power-rankings-way-too-early-edition-next-los-angeles-lakers-miami-heat-all-30-teams

20. Orlando Magic
2019-20 record: 33-40
Result: L, first round
2021 title odds: +20000

The Magic remain in arguably the worst place a professional franchise can be in heading into next season -- the middle. Jonathan Isaac's knee injury was a huge blow for an organization that was banking on him to develop as part of its core. Aside from the roster questions, the Magic's biggest issue is that they haven't filled the superstar void they've had since Dwight Howard left. -- Friedell

Looks right to me.
T-Cat
Sixth Man
And1: 428

Post#63 » by T-Cat » Wed Oct 21, 2020 5:11 pm

Would Weltman take Poku with #2 pick? :nod:
Ducklett
Head Coach
And1: 4,986

Post#64 » by Ducklett » Wed Oct 21, 2020 5:14 pm

MagicFan101 wrote:https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/30040447/nba-power-rankings-way-too-early-edition-next-los-angeles-lakers-miami-heat-all-30-teams

20. Orlando Magic

The Magic remain in arguably the worst place a professional franchise can be in heading into next season -- the middle. Jonathan Isaac's knee injury was a huge blow for an organization that was banking on him to develop as part of its core. Aside from the roster questions, the Magic's biggest issue is that they haven't filled the superstar void they've had since Dwight Howard left. -- Friedell

Looks right to me.

Everyone thinks we should blow it up but us. Rough life.
MartinsIzAfraud
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,116

Post#65 » by MartinsIzAfraud » Wed Oct 21, 2020 6:27 pm

Ducklett wrote:
MagicFan101 wrote:https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/30040447/nba-power-rankings-way-too-early-edition-next-los-angeles-lakers-miami-heat-all-30-teams

20. Orlando Magic

Looks right to me.

8th seed 1st round exits.. MOARRRR
A scoring guard.. never heard of one. :roll:
Bensational
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 12,401

Post#66 » by Bensational » Wed Oct 21, 2020 7:31 pm

JBSouthpaw wrote:
Bensational wrote:Make it Fournier + Bamba + #15 for Wiggins + #2 and I'd be more inclined.

Problem is, I just don't want the #2 pick. Not unless the Rockets decide they want it for Harden...

I think that deal is light going to GSW.

I agree w your second point, No one excites me at 2.

I kind of like the 4-6 spot. Avdija, Okoro, Haliburton, Toppin all players I think this team could use.

Yeah there's actually a long list of players in this draft I like. I'd prefer trading for a 2nd pick anywhere from 5 back to 20 so we can take two of:

Guards: Haliburton/Hayes/Nesmith/Terry/Maxey/Lewis

Wings: Nesmith/Green/Vassell/Bey

Forwards: Pokusevski/McDaniels

Would cost us less to acquire that pick, and the pick itself would cost a lot less than a #2 pick.
zaymon
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,154

Post#67 » by zaymon » Wed Oct 21, 2020 9:16 pm

T-Cat wrote:Would Weltman take Poku with #2 pick? :nod:

I think he would consider it.
My money is on Banchero going number 1 !
MagicMatic
RealGM
And1: 12,921

Post#68 » by MagicMatic » Wed Oct 21, 2020 11:22 pm

MartinsIzAfraud wrote:
Ducklett wrote:

Looks right to me.

8th seed 1st round exits.. MOARRRR

This FO loves it so much.

I hope they draft Poku or McDaniels so I can boycott this team until they’re fired.

Either that, or roll out the same roster without making a real move. That’ll be great too.
Ducklett
Head Coach
And1: 4,986

Post#69 » by Ducklett » Thu Oct 22, 2020 12:52 am

I listened to the Lowe and Simmons podcast where they had a lot of iterations of 2 to the Magic. Bill Simmons thinks that AG is worth 2 straight up lol thats crazy to me.
drsd
RealGM
And1: 7,914

Post#70 » by drsd » Thu Oct 22, 2020 7:54 am

20. Orlando Magic

Looks right to me.

For orientation, it projects:
1 - Bucks
2 - Celts
3 - Sixers
4 - Heat
5 - Nets
6 - Raptors
7 - Pacers
8 - Magic

So I might quibble about records (I could be passionate about the Magic winning at least 38 games !). But ESPN is projecting the Magic to be a bottom playoff team. It is hard to argue against that.

As what follows in their prediction is:
9 - Wizards
10 - Hawks
11 - Bulls
12 - Hornets
13 - Pistons
14 - Cavs
15 - Knicks

For me it is more likely for Indiana to miss the playoffs than Atlanta or Chicago to make them. So - I like Orlando firmly as the projected #8 seed.

Xatticus
Head Coach
And1: 7,959

Post#71 » by Xatticus » Thu Oct 22, 2020 8:54 am

drsd wrote:

20. Orlando Magic

Looks right to me.

For orientation, it projects:
1 - Bucks
2 - Celts
3 - Sixers
4 - Heat
5 - Nets
6 - Raptors
7 - Pacers
8 - Magic

So I might quibble about records (I could be passionate about the Magic winning at least 38 games !). But ESPN is projecting the Magic to be a bottom playoff team. It is hard to argue against that.

As what follows in their prediction is:
9 - Wizards
10 - Hawks
11 - Bulls
12 - Hornets
13 - Pistons
14 - Cavs
15 - Knicks

For me it is more likely for Indiana to miss the playoffs than Atlanta or Chicago to make them. So - I like Orlando firmly as the projected #8 seed.

Chicago is going to get a bounce just from Boylen being gone. Donovan is a competent coach. I don't expect Chicago to make significant changes though as Karnisovas has said he isn't going to rebuild. Think of them as being comparable to us in Clifford's first year. They are a threat to us. White improved a lot as the season wore on.

The Wizards are a threat if Wall comes back strong. I don't think he will.

Atlanta has significant room to improve this year. They had some terrible lineups last year and they very young. They will get quite a bit better just on natural development, but they could also improve significantly just by bolstering their bench. I expect them to leap past us in the near future. I don't know if it will happen this year, but I expect it to happen within the next couple years.

The other teams below us are DOA before the season starts. NY is a threat in the summer of 21 though. There are lots of big names in 21 free agency and it just takes a couple to pick them as the base for a new superteam.

Maybe Brooklyn implodes next year. They do have a core of Kyrie, Durant coming off of a torn ACL, and DeAndre Jordan. That seems unstable. Nobody else is falling below us unless they decide to rebuild for some reason.
"Xatticus has always been, in my humble opinion best poster here. Should write articles or something."
-pepe1991
SOUL
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 37,545

Post#72 » by SOUL » Thu Oct 22, 2020 9:07 am

Xatticus wrote:Maybe Brooklyn implodes next year. They do have a core of Kyrie, Durant coming off of a torn ACL, and DeAndre Jordan. That seems unstable. Nobody else is falling below us unless they decide to rebuild for some reason.

I agree with most but this. I think they'll be totally fine. Durant will never be MVP caliber again but still all-star level for sure (Achilles, not ACL btw!) and they have a lot of solid scorers on their team. Kyrie is obviously all-star level if he's not injured. Dinwiddie and LeVert struggled with percentages this year being the focal point but settling in as 3rd-4th options will be perfect for them, imo. DeAndre Jordan is as much as a core as Jarrett Allen is for their center position (22 vs 26 mpg) , so I think you're selling them a little bit short just listing those three as cores. Hell, even Joe Harris I'd value above Jordan right now. They're either going to be really good or bumble their way to a 4-5 seed like the Sixers did this year but no way we pass them.

I agree Atlanta will be better easily. Chicago is a wildcard, I think they have talent but underperformed. Wizards are also a wildcard to me. They have some nice players but I can see them trading Beal if they start off bad.
Xatticus
Head Coach

Post#73 » by Xatticus » Thu Oct 22, 2020 10:00 am

SOUL wrote:
Xatticus wrote:Maybe Brooklyn implodes next year. They do have a core of Kyrie, Durant coming off of a torn ACL, and DeAndre Jordan. That seems unstable. Nobody else is falling below us unless they decide to rebuild for some reason.

I agree with most but this. I think they'll be totally fine. Durant will never be MVP caliber again but still all-star level for sure (Achilles, not ACL btw!) and they have a lot of solid scorers on their team. Kyrie is obviously all-star level if he's not injured. Dinwiddie and LeVert struggled with percentages this year being the focal point but settling in as 3rd-4th options will be perfect for them, imo. DeAndre Jordan is as much as a core as Jarrett Allen is for their center position (22 vs 26 mpg) , so I think you're selling them a little bit short just listing those three as cores. Hell, even Joe Harris I'd value above Jordan right now. They're either going to be really good or bumble their way to a 4-5 seed like the Sixers did this year but no way we pass them.

I agree Atlanta will be better easily. Chicago is a wildcard, I think they have talent but underperformed. Wizards are also a wildcard to me. They have some nice players but I can see them trading Beal if they start off bad.

Yeah. I didn't mean that Brooklyn doesn't have the talent. I could just see that whole situation going haywire, mostly due to Kyrie and the dynamic with an inexperienced head coach. Allen is better than Jordan, but Jordan is there at the behest of Kyrie and Durant, which is why Allen keeps getting floated in trade rumors. They won't be able to pay him. Harris is a FA and I wouldn't be surprised if he is gone, especially if they do trade for another star. They are going to have luxury tax issues. LeVert was terrible at shooting off the catch, which is why their fans offer him up in proposals all the time. They think he will be crap without the ball in his hands. Brooklyn is loaded with talent though.
"Xatticus has always been, in my humble opinion best poster here. Should write articles or something."
-pepe1991
SOUL
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 37,545

Post#74 » by SOUL » Thu Oct 22, 2020 10:12 am

Xatticus wrote:
SOUL wrote:

Yeah. I didn't mean that Brooklyn doesn't have the talent. I could just see that whole situation going haywire, mostly due to Kyrie and the dynamic with an inexperienced head coach. Allen is better than Jordan, but Jordan is there at the behest of Kyrie and Durant, which is why Allen keeps getting floated in trade rumors. They won't be able to pay him. Harris is a FA and I wouldn't be surprised if he is gone, especially if they do trade for another star. They are going to have luxury tax issues. LeVert was terrible at shooting off the catch, which is why their fans offer him up in proposals all the time. They think he will be crap without the ball in his hands. Brooklyn is loaded with talent though.

That is true with Harris, forgot about that, and I can see personalities clashing esp with the Steve Nash coaching comments from Kyrie/KD, but it might be a situation of them being so.. out there in terms of how they think about the game and what they concern themselves with that it may be a perfect disaster. Will be interesting to see.
Bensational
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 12,401

Post#75 » by Bensational » Thu Oct 22, 2020 4:55 pm

Xatticus wrote:Chicago is going to get a bounce just from Boylen being gone. Donovan is a competent coach. I don't expect Chicago to make significant changes though as Karnisovas has said he isn't going to rebuild. Think of them as being comparable to us in Clifford's first year. They are a threat to us. White improved a lot as the season wore on.

My gut tells me they trade for Westbrook since they've got a bit of spare youth and expendable bloated contracts. Porter + Young + White/#4. Bulls get a turbocharge into playoff contention, and would actually have a pretty good team around Westbrook.

WCJr
Markkanen
Satoransky?
Lavine
Westbrook

(+ White/#4)

Rockets get good players who would fit with Harden right now, if they continue to build around him, plus youth if they choose to rebuild.
Xatticus
Head Coach

Post#76 » by Xatticus » Thu Oct 22, 2020 5:29 pm

Bensational wrote:
Xatticus wrote:Chicago is going to get a bounce just from Boylen being gone. Donovan is a competent coach. I don't expect Chicago to make significant changes though as Karnisovas has said he isn't going to rebuild. Think of them as being comparable to us in Clifford's first year. They are a threat to us. White improved a lot as the season wore on.

My gut tells me they trade for Westbrook since they've got a bit of spare youth and expendable bloated contracts. Porter + Young + White/#4. Bulls get a turbocharge into playoff contention, and would actually have a pretty good team around Westbrook.

WCJr
Markkanen
Satoransky?
Lavine
Westbrook

(+ White/#4)

Rockets get good players who would fit with Harden right now, if they continue to build around him, plus youth if they choose to rebuild.

I can't see the Bulls parting with their pick or White to get Westbrook. White is probably their most-prized asset at the moment. Check out his post-all-star-break numbers.

I'd actually have Paul higher on my list than Westbrook. I think he is the better player and comes with one less year on that behemoth of a contract. You never know when he is going to completely break down due to his injury history and age, but he'll make everyone he plays with better. He is still really good. I don't think they'd have any issues with moving Markkanen to get either of those guys though. I'm not sure Westbrook makes them much better honestly and how would it work with him playing alongside LaVine?
-pepe1991
UnFadeable21
Veteran
And1: 837

Post#77 » by UnFadeable21 » Thu Oct 22, 2020 6:39 pm

The Athletic

Orlando Magic Cap Situation

By Josh Robbins

Are we trying to get a big-time free agent this free agency, like DeMar DeRozan? — @MarkelleGoated

You ask an important question because the Magic need to upgrade their talent, especially on the offensive end of the floor. It sure would be nice for them to have someone who could be given the ball late in a close game and be tasked with creating a shot for himself. DeMar DeRozan did that to the Magic plenty of times during his Toronto Raptors tenure.

But I do not envision the Magic attempting to sign a big-time free agent this summer.

The issue is the Magic’s salary-cap situation.

We do not know what the salary cap and luxury tax figures will be for the upcoming season. The pandemic has caused a significant, unplanned loss of revenue that will have to be addressed by the league and the National Basketball Players Association.

But even if we assume that the 2020-21 salary-cap figure will be the same as it was this past season, $109 million, the Magic figure to have little to no money under the cap to spend on free agents.

The guaranteed 2020-21 salaries for Al-Farouq Aminu, Mo Bamba, Khem Birch, Markelle Fultz, Aaron Gordon, Jonathan Isaac, Terrence Ross and Nikola Vucevic add up to a combined $96.0 million.

That figure does not even include the salaries of Okeke and whomever the Magic draft 15th overall next month. Also not included: the $17.2 million player option that Evan Fournier can exercise, the $2.1 million player option that James Ennis III can exercise and the cap holds for the team’s own free agents, D.J. Augustin, Michael Carter-Williams and Gary Clark.

So whatever way you look at it, the Magic almost certainly will either have no cap space at all or less cap space than the non-taxpayer mid-level exception.

Either of those two scenarios would not leave the Magic with enough money to sign a premier free agent.

DeRozan, by the way, will not necessarily become a free agent. He has a player option for the 2020-21 season that is worth $27.7 million. If I were him, I’d exercise that option and remain with the San Antonio Spurs for the season ahead.

Still, it’s funny that you mention DeRozan. He can get to the foul line, and that is a dimension the Magic lack. His 6.6 free-throw attempts per game last season would have led Orlando by a wide margin. (Aaron Gordon averaged a team-high 3.6 free-throw attempts per game in 2019-20.)

Here’s another bit of trivia for you: DeRozan has scored at least 25 points in eight of his 29 career regular-season games against Orlando, according to Basketball-Reference.

But I digress.

I will write a detailed look at the Magic’s cap situation — with fancy tables! — once there is some clarity on the league’s 2020-21 cap and tax figures.

UnFadeable21
Veteran
And1: 837

Post#78 » by UnFadeable21 » Thu Oct 22, 2020 6:54 pm

If the Magic trade Gordon and Fourmier and Ennis play out their 1 year deals they have left and Orlando tanks:

They could have enough for one max free agent signing in 2021.

Let’s say this year they draft Maxey at 15. Trade AG, let Fourmier and Ennis expire. Isaac comes back

2021, sign DeRozan or Dinwiddle.

Fultz
Maxey
DeRozan
Isaac
Vuc

Now they are pretty solid and could be a 4-6 seed in the East.

If they don’t trade, they are and will be stuck in the middle of not being able to do anything.
cedric76
RealGM
And1: 3,186

Post#79 » by cedric76 » Thu Oct 22, 2020 7:33 pm

UnFadeable21 wrote:If the Magic trade Gordon and Fourmier and Ennis play out their 1 year deals they have left and Orlando tanks:

Let’s say this year they draft Maxey at 15. Trade AG, let Fourmier and Ennis expire. Isaac comes back

Fultz
Maxey
DeRozan
Isaac
Vuc

If they don’t trade, they are and will be stuck in the middle of not being able to do anything.

Lol, derozan?

Come on
Draft Carter
Sign monk
Trade Cole for a forward
Let chuma+fultz go
Offer goga a 1+1 deal

unleash Jett next seaon

Go Magic
MasterGMer
Veteran
And1: 584

Post#80 » by MasterGMer » Thu Oct 22, 2020 7:35 pm

UnFadeable21 wrote:If the Magic trade Gordon and Fourmier and Ennis play out their 1 year deals they have left and Orlando tanks:

Fultz
Maxey
DeRozan
Isaac
Vuc

Indiana Pacers were 4/5 this past season and they still fired their coach.

Stuck in there and have a ceiling? That team is still no good to me

Return to Orlando Magic