ImageImageImageImage

Cole World: Orlando Magic Select Cole Anthony at #15

Moderators: Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL, UCF

KillMonger
RealGM
And1: 9,971

Re: Cole World: Orlando Magic Select Cole Anthony at #15 

Post#1141 » by KillMonger » Wed Feb 17, 2021 7:20 pm

MaKiaVeLi7 wrote:Who knows? He is listed as "questionable" since the injury. I expect to see him when we are back from the West, maybe against the Knicks or the Warriors home games.

Shoulder injuries are tricky and players usually feel lingering pain weeks after that. Good thing is that there is no damage and Cole will be back sooner than later.

I think the medical staff must be on the hot seat by now given all the injuries last year and this season. They might try to be extra careful from now on when clearing players to return to basketball activities or play in the real games under heavy minutes restrictions.

WeHam might (and absolutely should) take some heat for the decision to let go/fire the previous medical staff that wasn't all that bad after all. There are a lot of questionable decisions with the current medical team, especially the cases of:

:banghead: Isaac's early return from damaged knee and was it smart to let him play and risk MCL?;
:banghead: Aminu's recurring injuries and setbacks, the decision not to be surgically repaired, and 1 1/2 years of his career/Magic contract were totally wasted;
:banghead: Bamba's constant minor injuries that take him a long time to recover from, his major conditioning issues and covid rehabilitation that was clearly messed up;
:banghead: MCW's ankle/foot troubles that took so long to rehab from;
:banghead: Fournier's constant back spasms for the last 3+ seasons, forcing him to miss so many games and hindering our chances to pump up his trade value now;
:banghead: Gordon's hamstring condition that was not fully healed and the guy was clearly held back for the beginning of the season, minute restrictions and missing games;
:banghead: something was not quite right with Chuma's rehab, he's clearly limited in his movement and jump ability, obviously not at 100% in his athletic capability. Not sure how much of the blame falls on the med staff, but the guy was out rehabbing and getting stronger for almost 2 years and still looks like 34-years old player on his last legs. Still, was cleared to play under minutes restriction again and recently missed multiple consecutive with another knee issue.
and so on & on...

Not saying the med staff is guilty of not preventing players from getting injured, but I start to seriously doubt their ability to make the right decision how to start the injury treatment process and later manage the rehab period. Indications are these new WeHam guys are not so good at that. They were lucky their first year the team was injury-free and we made the playoffs on Vuc's and Ross' backs. After that, these last two years when the minor, lingering or major injuries occurred, their expertise and performance is not something to brag about.

At the same time their job is essential for the team's success as in any team sports.

If our troubles continue and players still get cleared to play full-contact ball and get injured without any collisions or freak situations right after that, it might be time to show the med staff the door followed by the incompetent and lazy WeHam sleeping monster.

I wonder what it would take to bring some of the renowned Suns med guys here and steal some of their expertise and implement their successful procedures? How hard can it be??? One of the major Magic sponsors is AdventHealth after all.
Wishful thinking, I know, I know... :roll:

i agree with most of this, especially about chuma i also think he's not all the way back yet....it's like his legs are not under him just yet and he looks a lot slower than i remember in college....while he wasn't a zion level athlete jumping out the gym he wasn't a slouch either

He's nowhere near this as of right now, i don't even think he could do this at this point even though he's not that far removed from this version of himself....i would love know more about what's going on behind the scenes....maybe if one of weltman or hammond could do an interview or something....oh wait....i think hammond was supposed to do an interview...but he canceled.....hmmm
OrlandoNed
Head Coach
And1: 4,769

Post#1142 » by OrlandoNed » Thu Feb 18, 2021 12:43 am

MaKiaVeLi7 wrote:
OrlandoNed wrote:Top to bottom incompetence.

Hammond, is that you?
Or maybe Jeff Weltman has joined us here?

Still like & evaluate the injured bodies?!?! :crazy: :crazy:

Chill dude, I'm talking about the organization not your post.
MaKiaVeLi7
Senior
And1: 417

Post#1143 » by MaKiaVeLi7 » Thu Feb 18, 2021 12:44 am

OrlandoNed wrote:
MaKiaVeLi7 wrote:
OrlandoNed wrote:Top to bottom incompetence.

Hammond, is that you?

My bad, I misunderstood your comment. Sorry! :roll:
When we ride on our bball enemieZ!
OrlandoNed
Head Coach
And1: 4,769

Post#1144 » by OrlandoNed » Fri Feb 19, 2021 3:41 am

MaKiaVeLi7 wrote:
OrlandoNed wrote:
MaKiaVeLi7 wrote:Hammond, is that you?

My bad, I misunderstood your comment. Sorry! :roll:

No biggie.
fendilim
RealGM
And1: 5,008

Post#1145 » by fendilim » Thu Feb 25, 2021 3:08 am

KillMonger wrote:
MaKiaVeLi7 wrote:Who knows? He is listed as "questionable" since the injury. I expect to see him when we are back from the West, maybe against the Knicks or the Warriors home games.

Shoulder injuries are tricky and players usually feel lingering pain weeks after that. Good thing is that there is no damage and Cole will be back sooner than later.

I think the medical staff must be on the hot seat by now given all the injuries last year and this season. They might try to be extra careful from now on when clearing players to return to basketball activities or play in the real games under heavy minutes restrictions.

WeHam might (and absolutely should) take some heat for the decision to let go/fire the previous medical staff that wasn't all that bad after all. There are a lot of questionable decisions with the current medical team, especially the cases of:

:banghead: Isaac's early return from damaged knee and was it smart to let him play and risk MCL?;
:banghead: Aminu's recurring injuries and setbacks, the decision not to be surgically repaired, and 1 1/2 years of his career/Magic contract were totally wasted;
:banghead: Bamba's constant minor injuries that take him a long time to recover from, his major conditioning issues and covid rehabilitation that was clearly messed up;
:banghead: Fournier's constant back spasms for the last 3+ seasons, forcing him to miss so many games and hindering our chances to pump up his trade value now;
:banghead: Gordon's hamstring condition that was not fully healed and the guy was clearly held back for the beginning of the season, minute restrictions and missing games;
:banghead: something was not quite right with Chuma's rehab, he's clearly limited in his movement and jump ability, obviously not at 100% in his athletic capability. Not sure how much of the blame falls on the med staff, but the guy was out rehabbing and getting stronger for almost 2 years and still looks like 34-years old player on his last legs. Still, was cleared to play under minutes restriction again and recently missed multiple consecutive with another knee issue.
and so on & on...

Not saying the med staff is guilty of not preventing players from getting injured, but I start to seriously doubt their ability to make the right decision how to start the injury treatment process and later manage the rehab period. Indications are these new WeHam guys are not so good at that. They were lucky their first year the team was injury-free and we made the playoffs on Vuc's and Ross' backs. After that, these last two years when the minor, lingering or major injuries occurred, their expertise and performance is not something to brag about.

At the same time their job is essential for the team's success as in any team sports.

If our troubles continue and players still get cleared to play full-contact ball and get injured without any collisions or freak situations right after that, it might be time to show the med staff the door followed by the incompetent and lazy WeHam sleeping monster.

I wonder what it would take to bring some of the renowned Suns med guys here and steal some of their expertise and implement their successful procedures? How hard can it be??? One of the major Magic sponsors is AdventHealth after all.

i agree with most of this, especially about chuma i also think he's not all the way back yet....it's like his legs are not under him just yet and he looks a lot slower than i remember in college....while he wasn't a zion level athlete jumping out the gym he wasn't a slouch either

He's nowhere near this as of right now, i don't even think he could do this at this point even though he's not that far removed from this version of himself....i would love know more about what's going on behind the scenes....maybe if one of weltman or hammond could do an interview or something....oh wait....i think hammond was supposed to do an interview...but he canceled.....hmmm

I doubt he’ll ever get to that level compared to players in the NBA.

NBA players are faster and longer than NCAA players. Chuma’s explosiveness might even be back to his college days already, but he isnt that explosive compared to NBA players.

Also, looking at the vid, he took off 2 feet. Similar to aaron gordon, who was athletic in college, it wont work in the NBA where space is smaller because opponents are bigger and longer.
KillMonger
RealGM

Post#1146 » by KillMonger » Thu Feb 25, 2021 3:30 am

fendilim wrote:
KillMonger wrote:

and so on & on...

I doubt he’ll ever get to that level compared to players in the NBA.

NBA players are faster and longer than NCAA players. Chuma’s explosiveness might even be back to his college days already, but he isnt that explosive compared to NBA players.

Also, looking at the vid, he took off 2 feet. Similar to aaron gordon, who was athletic in college, it wont work in the NBA where space is smaller because opponents are bigger and longer.

to me it's simpler than that to me, in recent games there were instances where if he was %100 back would've been a dunk easily and from my eyes he isn't moving as well as he used to but i might be wrong but i think he's more than well enough to play but i don't think he's back to peak level athletically just yet....he'll get there i believe
basketballRob
RealGM
And1: 10,688

Post#1147 » by basketballRob » Thu Feb 25, 2021 5:55 pm

Chuma probably isn't mentally back to 100%. He's probably going 80% and being a little cautious, until he's comfortable that he won't injure his knee again.
KillMonger
RealGM

Post#1148 » by KillMonger » Thu Feb 25, 2021 6:35 pm

basketballRob wrote:Chuma probably isn't mentally back to 100%. He's probably going 80% and being a little cautious, until he's comfortable that he won't injure his knee again.

Yeah this is most likely scenario.....kinda like a very mild version of yips maybe? I remember reading something about derrick rose coming back from his injury and he said he had like a mental block or something to that effect....he couldn’t go 100% for a while after his injury even though he was healthy....the mental aspect shouldn’t be underestimated

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app
zaymon
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,141

Post#1149 » by zaymon » Thu Feb 25, 2021 7:03 pm

KillMonger wrote:
basketballRob wrote:Chuma probably isn't mentally back to 100%. He's probably going 80% and being a little cautious, until he's comfortable that he won't injure his knee again.

Yeah this is most likely scenario.....kinda like a very mild version of yips maybe? I remember reading something about derrick rose coming back from his injury and he said he had like a mental block or something to that effect....he couldn’t go 100% for a while after his injury even though he was healthy....the mental aspect shouldn’t be underestimated

After injury your scheme of moving is changed. Your brain is protecting the injured part even after its healed. After i sprained my ankle i had to rehab for weeks to even put any weight on it. Magic have more advanced tools to deal with it, but its a thing. It took me more than half a year and even now after year its not perfect.
My money is on Banchero going number 1 !
MoMM
RealGM
And1: 1,715

Post#1150 » by MoMM » Sun Feb 28, 2021 12:43 am

Yes, that happens and the problem is that your brain is going to try to protect the left ankle (for example) and the way to protect it is by forcing the right ankle, which could in fact cause a brand new injury in the right ankle.
fendilim
RealGM
And1: 5,008

Post#1151 » by fendilim » Mon Mar 1, 2021 6:26 am

KillMonger wrote:

I dont think it is the yips, which i thibk is related to nervousness?. But more of mental trauma of suffering same injury.

UnFadeable21
Veteran
And1: 837

Post#1152 » by UnFadeable21 » Fri Mar 12, 2021 12:25 am

If it was draft night again, would you rather have Cole Anthony or Tyrese Maxey?
The Effect
Magic Forum Mock Draft Co-Champ
And1: 2,053

Post#1153 » by The Effect » Fri Mar 12, 2021 12:37 am

UnFadeable21 wrote:If it was draft night again, would you rather have Cole Anthony or Tyrese Maxey?

I mean if we are going back to draft night already, give me Immanuel Quickley
Skybox
RealGM
And1: 5,590

Post#1154 » by Skybox » Fri Mar 12, 2021 12:40 am

I liked Saddiq Bey then and now. I liked Maxey then but it's a maybe now. Desmond Bane and McDaniels are two others I'll be watching and wondering... I wouldn't have picked Cole but I was wrong...he's a decent pick for where he was selected. I'm rooting for him.
Nyce_1
RealGM
And1: 5,975

Post#1155 » by Nyce_1 » Fri Mar 12, 2021 12:47 am

UnFadeable21 wrote:If it was draft night again, would you rather have Cole Anthony or Tyrese Maxey?

i'm not that high on Cole, but I think he was the right pick. Before the injury, he was probably a top 5 rookie this season.

I'd probably go Cole again, or wouldn't be made for Bane.
Furinkazan
General Manager
And1: 3,533

Post#1156 » by Furinkazan » Tue Mar 16, 2021 11:34 am

when is he coming back?
tiderulz
RealGM
And1: 14,098

Post#1157 » by tiderulz » Tue Mar 16, 2021 1:12 pm

Furinkazan wrote:when is he coming back?

from 6 days ago
Orlando Magic head coach Steve Clifford on Wednesday said that rookie Cole Anthony is not yet close to returning to play after suffering a rib injury on Feb. 9 versus the Portland Trail Blazers.

https://therookiewire.usatoday.com/2021/03/10/magic-cole-anthony-march-10-rib-injury-update/

does it seem like every 1st round pick we have drafted has gotten hurt their rookie year? or is that just me
RookieStar
RealGM
And1: 5,788

Post#1158 » by RookieStar » Tue Mar 16, 2021 8:58 pm

tiderulz wrote:
Furinkazan wrote:when is he coming back?

from 6 days ago
Orlando Magic head coach Steve Clifford on Wednesday said that rookie Cole Anthony is not yet close to returning to play after suffering a rib injury on Feb. 9 versus the Portland Trail Blazers.

https://therookiewire.usatoday.com/2021/03/10/magic-cole-anthony-march-10-rib-injury-update/

does it seem like every 1st round pick we have drafted has gotten hurt their rookie year? or is that just me

I think it was only Mario that had a more or less injury-free rookie year. I mean I even remember AG having an injury.
Knightro
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 24,153

Post#1159 » by Knightro » Wed Mar 17, 2021 4:17 pm

Read on Twitter
Horcy
Lead Assistant
And1: 362

Post#1160 » by Horcy » Fri Mar 26, 2021 7:43 am

Our draft picks even if we trade them quickly as Oladipo.

Return to Orlando Magic