ImageImageImageImage

Cole World: Orlando Magic Select Cole Anthony at #15

Moderators: UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL

Bensational
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 12,273

Re: Cole World: Orlando Magic Select Cole Anthony at #15 

Post#1241 » by Bensational » Mon May 3, 2021 12:29 am

SOUL wrote:
fendilim wrote:
Skin wrote:When he yelled, "THIS IS MY CITY!" That turned me off.

There’s something weird the way he acts that turns me off too. The way he speaks, idk man. His mannerism maybe

We're used to soft non-alphas on the team apparently

Weirdly, I relate to what Skin and fendi are saying here. I see both sides though. I appreciate the value of someone having some fire and passion on the team, but I just don’t know if I want Cole (or RJ) being that guy.

Guys like Curry and Lillard can get away with that because they deliver consistently. I suppose I want to see Cole’s game deliver more consistently than his mouth at this point. That shot he took to win the game was actually terrible and hopefully never comes out in games that matter

But like I said, I like that the team has someone driving them to do something on the court, and hopefully off it, so I’m just taking the good with the bad.
RookieStar
RealGM
And1: 5,604

Post#1242 » by RookieStar » Mon May 3, 2021 12:34 am

Bensational wrote:
SOUL wrote:
fendilim wrote:There’s something weird the way he acts that turns me off too. The way he speaks, idk man. His mannerism maybe

Weirdly, I relate to what Skin and fendi are saying here. I see both sides though. I appreciate the value of someone having some fire and passion on the team, but I just don’t know if I want Cole (or RJ) being that guy.

Guys like Curry and Lillard can get away with that because they deliver consistently. I suppose I want to see Cole’s game deliver more consistently than his mouth at this point. That shot he took to win the game was actually terrible and hopefully never comes out in games that matter

But like I said, I like that the team has someone driving them to do something on the court, and hopefully off it, so I’m just taking the good with the bad.

Yeah but when Cade said " this is my city" or something we all get goosebumps lol.
thelead
RealGM
And1: 25,205

Post#1243 » by thelead » Mon May 3, 2021 12:42 am

fendilim wrote:
Skin wrote:When he yelled, "THIS IS MY CITY!" That turned me off.

There’s something weird the way he acts that turns me off too. The way he speaks, idk man. His mannerism maybe

It’s the happy/friendly personality juxtaposition with the ‘forced’ dialect.
SOUL
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 37,079

Post#1244 » by SOUL » Mon May 3, 2021 12:57 am

Bensational wrote:
SOUL wrote:
fendilim wrote:There’s something weird the way he acts that turns me off too. The way he speaks, idk man. His mannerism maybe

Can't pick and choose who we want to have confidence or not.

Just reeks of "not the guy I want to be doing it" instead of how it's being done.

I don't know, you won't see me complaining about a guy with confidence who speaks "in the moment" while in post-game interviews after the players we've had. Now, it doesn't mean I suddenly think he's the savior or anything because he does that, but it does a lot for team morale and energy when there is a player on the team like that.
SOUL
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic

Post#1245 » by SOUL » Mon May 3, 2021 1:05 am

Also it reminds me of like, when Oladipo jumped on the scorer's table or something out of excitement and people were mad. Such a weird fanbase. I feel like our fans are the equivalent of the 80 year old neighbors who don't like kids playing in the front yard because they're too loud and rambunctious.

It's a lost season, the dude just hit two game winners this year, a feeling none of us will get to know at this level.. and the only real negative thing I can see coming from it is him thinking he has to be the #1 option when he doesn't have that skillset (yet, it may come or not), but the dude is a breath of fresh air personality wise. People were okay with Dwight's very corny playfulness and fake Christianity but Cole just doesn't really have a filter and speaks in the moment.

Plus him being like this now means he's not faking it when the Magic are frontrunning or a good team, talk your **** even when you're bad.. why not?
The Real Dalic
RealGM
And1: 6,985

Post#1246 » by The Real Dalic » Mon May 3, 2021 1:06 am

Knightro wrote:Since moving into the starting lineup 9 games ago...

17.1 PPG, 5.2 RPG, 5.6 APG on a .442/.415/.795 slash.

Underrated beast.
God. Family. Country. Basketball.
PrimeThyme
RealGM
And1: 14,326

Post#1247 » by PrimeThyme » Mon May 3, 2021 1:09 am

I actually feel like there is something genuine && unforced with Cole's personality. If I didn't and thought it was all an act, I'd probably feel differently but I think he's actually a cool kid who wears his emotions on his sleeve.

After years of monotonous, filtered, && uninspiring post-game interviews I'm enjoying his time with the team thus far.
SOUL
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic

Post#1248 » by SOUL » Mon May 3, 2021 1:10 am

PrimeThyme wrote:I actually feel like there is something genuine && unforced with Cole's personality. If I didn't and thought it was all an act, I'd probably feel differently but I think he's actually a cool kid who wears his emotions on his sleeve.

After years of monotonous, filtered, && uninspiring post-game interviews I'm enjoying his time with the team thus far.

Exactly. If he was being eccentric/wacky just for the sake of it and forcing a personality, that's corny to me. Don't feel that at all with him.
The Real Dalic
RealGM
And1: 6,985

Post#1249 » by The Real Dalic » Mon May 3, 2021 1:11 am

SOUL wrote:Also it reminds me of like, when Oladipo jumped on the scorer's table or something out of excitement and people were mad. Such a weird fanbase. I feel like our fans are the equivalent of the 80 year old neighbors who don't like kids playing in the front yard because they're too loud and rambunctious.

It's a lost season, the dude just hit two game winners this year, a feeling none of us will get to know at this level.. and the only real negative thing I can see coming from it is him thinking he has to be the #1 option when he doesn't have that skillset (yet, it may come or not), but the dude is a breath of fresh air personality wise. People were okay with Dwight's very corny playfulness and fake Christianity but Cole just doesn't really have a filter and speaks in the moment.

Plus him being like this now means he's not faking it when the Magic are frontrunning or a good team, talk your **** even when you're bad.. why not?

People have a bizarre hatred of the guy for no reason. He's been a good rookie who's been improving all year, but people still refuse to give him credit and instead hate on him for celebrating hitting a game winner. Why? I actually don't get it. So many here really want to be proven right about him instead of cheering for him and hoping he succeeds.
God. Family. Country. Basketball.
SOUL
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic

Post#1250 » by SOUL » Mon May 3, 2021 1:18 am

The Real Dalic wrote:People have a bizarre hatred of the guy for no reason. He's been a good rookie who's been improving all year, but people still refuse to give him credit and instead hate on him for celebrating hitting a game winner. Why? I actually don't get it. So many here really want to be proven right about him instead of cheering for him and hoping he succeeds.

Not sure! I mean some people maybe just think his personality is forced, that's fine. Just at this stage they better get used to it. He is who he is.

As far as the last part, yeah, people have favorites. There's definitely players I prefer over others during the draft process but it's all because of educated guesses and how I think their game will translate to the NBA. Once they're on the Magic I'll ride for them. I've been attempting to calm the masses every draft for the last 10 years because people throw fits when their guy isn't taken :lol:.

Only time I actually get mad is when we win useless games with veterans and **** our draft position. A lot of our wins late this year have come at the hands of the young guys so I can't get that mad or expect us to go the full OKC route.
NEM
RealGM
And1: 2,122

Post#1251 » by NEM » Mon May 3, 2021 1:31 am

You’re not happy because of how excited he was or how he was confident? Lmao y’all are like the old man screaming “DAMN KIDS! GET OFF MY LAWN!!”

It’s refreshing to have someone be as excited as him. You can tell it’s genuine and that he’s just a kid living in the moment. Happy for Cole. He’s been balling lately!
I live rent free in your head. You know who you are :D

Not changing this sig until Magic win a championship. Started 6/26/2015.
Bensational
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 12,273

Post#1252 » by Bensational » Mon May 3, 2021 1:33 am

SOUL wrote:
Bensational wrote:
SOUL wrote:

Just reeks of "not the guy I want to be doing it" instead of how it's being done.

I don't know, you won't see me complaining about a guy with confidence who speaks "in the moment" while in post-game interviews after the players we've had. Now, it doesn't mean I suddenly think he's the savior or anything because he does that, but it does a lot for team morale and energy when there is a player on the team like that.

I don’t care about the specifics of what Cole said or how he said it, it’s more a matter of ‘cool your jets bro, act like a good game isn’t such a surprise for you’.

RJ, for example, loves a strut after a big play but I’ve never seen someone get so absolutely stuffed at the rim so much. That should humble him but instead he celebrates off his next open dunk. I think it’s pretty cringe taking pride in highlights whilst overall being pretty young and bad still.

People are talking like we never had Fournier, Vuc or Gordon celebrating and taking ownership of the team and it’s success. We hitched our wagons to the wrong horses then because they looked good at points on losing teams. Don’t blame me for being cautious this time around.
basketballRob
RealGM
And1: 10,576

Post#1253 » by basketballRob » Mon May 3, 2021 1:36 am

Nice to see Fultz cheering for a guy that plays the same position, plus poured the water on his head.

Sent from my SM-G950U using RealGM mobile app
BadMofoPimp
RealGM
And1: 11,574

Post#1254 » by BadMofoPimp » Mon May 3, 2021 1:43 am

basketballRob wrote:Nice to see Fultz cheering for a guy that plays the same position, plus poured the water on his head.

These two could easily play together.

Provin Ya'll Wrong!!!
SOUL
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic

Post#1255 » by SOUL » Mon May 3, 2021 1:46 am

Bensational wrote:
SOUL wrote:
Bensational wrote:

I don’t care about the specifics of what Cole said or how he said it, it’s more a matter of ‘cool your jets bro, act like a good game isn’t such a surprise for you’.

RJ, for example, loves a strut after a big play but I’ve never seen someone get so absolutely stuffed at the rim so much. That should humble him but instead he celebrates off his next open dunk. I think it’s pretty cringe taking pride in highlights whilst overall being pretty young and bad still.

People are talking like we never had Fournier, Vuc or Gordon celebrating and taking ownership of the team and it’s success. We hitched our wagons to the wrong horses then because they looked good at points on losing teams. Don’t blame me for being cautious this time around.

I just think there's a difference between celebrating between plays (which often leads to open dunks) or.. like.. talking **** down 30 points versus being pretty jubilated after a game winner. The first one I think is dumb, the second one.. come on. This season has been dreadful and he hit a game winner.. he deserves to be excited.
basketballRob
RealGM
And1: 10,576

Post#1256 » by basketballRob » Mon May 3, 2021 1:54 am

Cole celebrating reminded me of Cuba Gooding in Jerry Maguire. He finally showed his personality and the contract and endorsements started coming.

tiderulz
RealGM
And1: 14,079

Post#1257 » by tiderulz » Mon May 3, 2021 2:36 am

Coles stat line was decent, but he has to get better shot selection. 6-15 is not good.
Knightro
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 23,908

Post#1258 » by Knightro » Mon May 3, 2021 3:13 am

tiderulz wrote:Coles stat line was decent, but he has to get better shot selection. 6-15 is not good.

:lol:

I'll take 6-15 from the floor every game of the season if 4 of the makes are threes and it comes with 10 FT makes.
fendilim
RealGM
And1: 5,002

Post#1259 » by fendilim » Mon May 3, 2021 6:46 am

SOUL wrote:Also it reminds me of like, when Oladipo jumped on the scorer's table or something out of excitement and people were mad. Such a weird fanbase. I feel like our fans are the equivalent of the 80 year old neighbors who don't like kids playing in the front yard because they're too loud and rambunctious.

Lol to me its not that, I dont mind Oladipo doing it. Or say Lillard or whatever. These guys seem to have that swagger in them naturally.

Cole just gives me the Dwight vibe for some reason. Like what they say dont come off as natural and they are trying hard to put on a persona when they speak.

I like Cole’s fire, its the delivery thats a bit of plastic for me.

Like I said, it may be just his mannerism which is weird.
drsd
RealGM
And1: 7,818

Post#1260 » by drsd » Mon May 3, 2021 7:34 am

tiderulz wrote:Coles stat line was decent, but he has to get better shot selection. 6-15 is not good.

And-1

If the game had been lost, the narrative would have been "PG inefficiency".

Return to Orlando Magic