ImageImageImageImage

Cole World: Orlando Magic Select Cole Anthony at #15

Moderators: UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL

pepe1991
RealGM
And1: 16,292

Re: Cole World: Orlando Magic Select Cole Anthony at #15 

Post#221 » by pepe1991 » Thu Nov 19, 2020 8:38 pm

BlueBlazer wrote:One thing I like about Cole is his personality, and I know some others don’t agree. That kind of insatiability can prevail over shortcomings of talent. If PJ Tucker or Patrick Beverly weren’t dogs like they are I doubt they’d even sniff the league, and that counts for something IMO. I really hope he finds his way with us.

Well his father can tell him how good attitude will make him have long nba careeer. Greg was definition of good lockerroom good guy, despite being fringe rotation player
Life is what happens when you're busy making other plans. -John Lennon
BlueBlazer
Sophomore
And1: 87

Post#222 » by BlueBlazer » Thu Nov 19, 2020 8:41 pm

pepe1991 wrote:
BlueBlazer wrote:One thing I like about Cole is his personality, and I know some others don’t agree. That kind of insatiability can prevail over shortcomings of talent. If PJ Tucker or Patrick Beverly weren’t dogs like they are I doubt they’d even sniff the league, and that counts for something IMO. I really hope he finds his way with us.

Well his father can tell him how good attitude will make him have long nba careeer. Greg was definition of good lockerroom good guy, despite being fringe rotation player

Not everybody turns out to be their dad. I actually think he’s the polar opposite of Greg in terms of an alpha personality.
“I thought our Director of Scouting was just another name for a tape measure.” - StanVanGandhi
PrimeThyme
RealGM
And1: 14,380

Post#223 » by PrimeThyme » Thu Nov 19, 2020 8:43 pm

If there is an argument that differentiates him from someone like DSJ, I'd say it's this. He is a flat out hard worker who gives full out effort on both ends of his court. His body type doesn't suggest he will be a great defender, but I think he has the chance to be a good one (at least better than DSJ) with the effort he exerts on that end. At least good enough to stay on the court for Clifford.

I've been pleasantly surprised with that aspect of his game. He's oftentimes in position, fights hard over screens, and moves his feet well.

I tend to have a soft spot for high effort players like that. Versus players like Elfrid or Bamba who's motor and effort was/is too inconsistent for my taste. I don't think either player wants to be great or special, while Cole seems like he truly wants to be one of the best players in the league. I think it's a longshot, but I can at least appreciate the mentality (until it results in bad shot selection).
zaymon
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,158

Post#224 » by zaymon » Thu Nov 19, 2020 8:51 pm

First i need to say i like the pick. Not my personal favourite, but on my short list. I think there is a big misconception about Cole Anthony on this board. HE WILL NOT BE OUR LEAD PLAYMAKER. Maybe in time he will improve his vision and decision making, but i wouldnt bank on it. BUT he is a very good off ball player. 77 percentile catch and shoot, 89 percentile off screen, 85 percentile dribble jumpshots. Even Clifford said we could use him similar to Fournier and Ross. What is his advantage over Ross and Fournier ? Advanced handle. I think he is more capable secondary ball handler than those two.
If he plays similar role to Murray (who had even worse assist/turnover ratio in college!!!!), we have some random player named Nicola Vucevic who is one of the better passing big man..... a coincidence ? If there is a way to unlock his efficiency its propably playing through Vucevic. Dont forget we have also Fultz, who showed more promise as a lead ball handler. At the beginning of the season Anthony will be propably relegated to c&s, attacking close outs, maybe random pullup. We dont need a genius to perform that role.

On defense he wasnt lazy like Lamelo, Edwards, Toppin and others. He made very smart rotations. He was best guard rim protector in college (as i said before the draft, Weltman values weak side rim protection a lot).
There is a case we potentially got the best scorer in draft at 15. If he doesnt pan out he can always space the floor and defend unlike: Edwards- cant shoot and is lazy,
Lamelo- cant shoot and is lazy,
Hayes- not a good shooter right now, and is not half as dynamic as Cole
Okoro- i like him, but he is not as dynamic and cant shoot
Lewis- i like him, but he is weaker, not as dynamic ball handler. propably couldnt play next to Fultz

Depending on future trades, the most sense right now makes resigning MCW but not Dj.

Fultz/Fournier/Okeke/Gordon/Vucevic
Anthony/MCW/Ross/Aminu/Bamba

We will see if we can move Gordon and what is our priority out of DJ/MCW. We could also try to squeeze GSW with Fournier into TPE and play Fultz/Anthony/Okeke/Gordon/Vucevic. Nice balance with winning and young core development. Wouldnt be mad if we either get 8th seed or end up in lottery with that starting lineup.
My money is on Banchero going number 1 !
BlueBlazer
Sophomore
And1: 87

Post#225 » by BlueBlazer » Thu Nov 19, 2020 8:54 pm

PrimeThyme wrote:

If there is an argument that differentiates him from someone like DSJ, I'd say it's this. He is a flat out hard worker who gives full out effort on both ends of his court. His body type doesn't suggest he will be a great defender, but I think he has the chance to be a good one (at least better than DSJ) with the effort he exerts on that end. At least good enough to stay on the court for Clifford.

I've been pleasantly surprised with that aspect of his game. He's oftentimes in position, fights hard over screens, and moves his feet well.

I tend to have a soft spot for high effort players like that. Versus players like Elfrid or Bamba who's motor and effort was/is too inconsistent for my taste. I don't think either player wants to be great or special, while Cole seems like he truly wants to be one of the best players in the league. I think it's a longshot, but I can at least appreciate the mentality (until it results in bad shot selection).

Well said
“I thought our Director of Scouting was just another name for a tape measure.” - StanVanGandhi
Bensational
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 12,447

Post#226 » by Bensational » Thu Nov 19, 2020 9:40 pm

Cole was one of the many picks I knew I could convince myself to get excited about. He has plenty of flaws, but hopefully Cliff can iron a lot of those out with his basic fundamentals and discipline.

If Cole can get smarter with his shot selection, he could be a big time shot maker for us. Someone who can close out games, create space for their shot, has the ability to make the shot, and the confidence to take the shot. That's something which only fell to Fournier, DJ, Vuc and Ross in the past.

As far as the pick, I was all over the shop trying to figure out what WeHam might do, but in the closing days things just felt like they were pointing that way. We'd chatted with and worked him out a couple of times I believe. He had a backstory and narrative that WeHam could easily spin as a hidden gem who has reason to give you confidence. And Fendi found some advance stat rankings (Peltons?) which placed Cole higher than his draft projection suggested. Plus, he fits a need for us as someone who can shoot, has the skill to handle the ball, and the professionalism to improve himself.

I think we'll be happy with the pick. I think his potential is as broad as Jordan Clarkson to Jameer to Jennings to Murray. It all depends on how he develops.
OrlChamps2030
General Manager
And1: 4,160

Post#227 » by OrlChamps2030 » Thu Nov 19, 2020 9:47 pm

As far as optimistic projections go (I’ve seen names like Murray, Francis, Jameer, Lou Will) how does Cole compare to FVV?
Xatticus
Head Coach
And1: 7,960

Post#228 » by Xatticus » Thu Nov 19, 2020 9:52 pm

Bigmagicfan82 wrote:
jonbob17 wrote:
Knightro wrote:It just really makes me very nervous to casually explain away all of a player’s struggles due to the circumstances around him.

Even if all that stuff is 100% accurate and it was the worst UNC team in decades, it was still *North freaking Carolina* hoops.

You would hope to see a player who is that talented actually be able to overcome his obstacles and not be ruined by them.

Exactly. Do you hear Grant Riller complaining about the talent around him at Charleston, or Flynn at SDSU? Trae young at Oklahoma.
These guys were still effecient and scored well, even though everybody could collapse defenses on them.

I don't hate the pick. His NC stats is a small sample size. I think we should weight the prep career too, and I do think he has plenty of upside. There are plenty of concerns. One is his age, he is already 20 and a half, a year older than most of these other freshman. Lack of passing. It does seem like you need a PG that can score the ball in the modern nba. I would have certainly like to see us trade up into the mid lottery, but apparently we don't have the assets (outside future picks) to get that done.
If I remember correctly, wasn't one of the complaints against Trae Young that he took inefficient shots and he was a chucker. I remember a lot of people wondered if he would translate to the next level.

Sent from my SM-N975U using RealGM mobile app

It was, but it's not really a similar situation. Young took tougher shots than Anthony, but he was also much more efficient. It was quite clear that Young was going to be a really good shooter, especially if he could rein in his shot selection a bit. Anthony was terribly inefficient. His true shooting and effective field goal percentages were abysmal for the collegiate level. Young's were quite good.

Young was also vastly superior as a facilitator. His AST/TO and AST/USG ratios were far better. Basically, anyone with an assist percentage lower than their usage isn't a point guard. Anthony's was well below.

I've been digging for comps and it is really difficult to find anything favorable. You could compare him to Iverson's freshman season at Georgetown, but Iverson was a year younger despite having gone to prison and he improved demonstrably from that point on. It's difficult to overstate how poor the numbers were for Anthony. Sexton is a decent comp, but Sexton had a much better year at Alabama. Maxey isn't all that dissimilar, but even he looks like the objectively better prospect. Maxey played off the ball, but he managed a more favorable assist-to-usage ratio than Anthony.

You basically have to hope and pray that the injury had a significantly negative impact on his performance this past year. Anthony has been groomed as a top prospect for years. He was significantly older than his high school competition. He spent a year at Oak Hill where they fudged the numbers to inflate his high school stats. Every action was taken to give Anthony the sheen of an elite prospect. When he finally hit the proving grounds of the NCAA, he disappointed severely.

Even if we assume the injury and roster hindered him, I challenge anyone to come up with a favorable comp. He is really old for a one and done and his archetype just hasn't been successful in the NBA. He might carve out enough of a role in the NBA with a high enough usage to score a bunch of points, but it's going to be difficult for him to ever positively impact an NBA team. What is the upside? Ben Gordon? Can he even be that good? Gordon was a much better shooter.
"Xatticus has always been, in my humble opinion best poster here. Should write articles or something."
-pepe1991
RookieStar
RealGM
And1: 5,828

Post#229 » by RookieStar » Thu Nov 19, 2020 10:07 pm

Knightro wrote:
tiderulz wrote:
Knightro wrote:
Convington doesn't really play SF anymore for what it's worth.

He's also listed at 209 lbs where Okeke is listed at 230.

Kawhi is 225, so is Paul George. Jimmy Butler is 230, Derozan is 220, Middleton 220+, Bojan 226, TJ Warren 220, Tobias 230.

like i said, lose 5-10 lbs.

You're hung up on the weight thing and not really considering the context.

Most of the guys you listed were all thinner when they were younger. They were guys who played full time on the wing as high school and college players and progressively *gained* some weight as they aged as most people tend to do.

Okeke was a big in college. He played like a big and not a wing. It's not nearly as easy of a transition as you're making it out to be.

And also, I'd like to add, Okeke is just built "heavy" compare to Roco and others who look slim/lanky. Those built with heavy frames are just not as quick as most NBA SF who are more slim
PrimeThyme
RealGM
And1: 14,380

Post#230 » by PrimeThyme » Thu Nov 19, 2020 10:09 pm

Xatticus wrote:It was, but it's not really a similar situation. Young took tougher shots than Anthony, but he was also much more efficient. It was quite clear that Young was going to be a really good shooter, especially if he could rein in his shot selection a bit. Anthony was terribly inefficient. His true shooting and effective field goal percentages were abysmal for the collegiate level. Young's were quite good.

Young was also vastly superior as a facilitator. His AST/TO and AST/USG ratios were far better. Basically, anyone with an assist percentage lower than their usage isn't a point guard. Anthony's was well below.

I've been digging for comps and it is really difficult to find anything favorable. You could compare him to Iverson's freshman season at Georgetown, but Iverson was a year younger despite having gone to prison and he improved demonstrably from that point on. It's difficult to overstate how poor the numbers were for Anthony. Sexton is a decent comp, but Sexton had a much better year at Alabama. Maxey isn't all that dissimilar, but even he looks like the objectively better prospect. Maxey played off the ball, but he managed a more favorable assist-to-usage ratio than Anthony.

You basically have to hope and pray that the injury had a significantly negative impact on his performance this past year. Anthony has been groomed as a top prospect for years. He was significantly older than his high school competition. He spent a year at Oak Hill where they fudged the numbers to inflate his high school stats. Every action was taken to give Anthony the sheen of an elite prospect. When he finally hit the proving grounds of the NCAA, he disappointed severely.

Even if we assume the injury and roster hindered him, I challenge anyone to come up with a favorable comp. He is really old for a one and done and his archetype just hasn't been successful in the NBA. He might carve out enough of a role in the NBA with a high enough usage to score a bunch of points, but it's going to be difficult for him to ever positively impact an NBA team. What is the upside? Ben Gordon? Can he even be that good? Gordon was a much better shooter.

This basically sums up all my fears and disappointments with this pick in a nutshell. I think when you compare college numbers, FVV is the only really favorable comparison you could make as he was a late bloomer and a pretty inefficient scorer in college. At 15, I suppose you would be happy if Anthony developed into FVV. It certainly wouldn't be what people are hoping for though.

Coby White is another player that comes to mind, but would that be considered favorable? He shot under 40% as a rookie and hurt his team badly while on the court. I know he got on a hot streak to end the season, but he's not exactly a player that I'm in love with && I don't see him making much of an impact at any point in his career.

Even Coby White had more efficient numbers in college. It's certainly not a great outlook. You could blame the injury, but as was pointed out earlier in the thread his efficiency wasn't any better before it.
TheGlyde
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 559

Post#231 » by TheGlyde » Thu Nov 19, 2020 10:10 pm

I didn't know much about him before last night as he was projected lower...

Like many I was looking more along the lines of Neismith, Haliburton, even RJ Hampton who was available.

After learning a bit about him, I am on board and hopeful that the UNC season is the execption not the projection.

Certainly glad we took him over Saddiq Bey, Precious Achiuwa and Tyrell Terry (though he will be a good fit for the Mavs and is a steal at 31).
Orlando Magic Historian

Magic Player History on Instagram

Also on Twitter & Youtube
thelead
RealGM
And1: 25,705

Post#232 » by thelead » Thu Nov 19, 2020 10:14 pm

OrlChamps2030 wrote:As far as optimistic projections go (I’ve seen names like Murray, Francis, Jameer, Lou Will) how does Cole compare to FVV?

I think of Deron Williams when watching his style. FVV isn't a bad comp at all but Cole is more athletic and crafty with the ball. Will he be good though? That's all that matters.
RookieStar
RealGM

Post#233 » by RookieStar » Thu Nov 19, 2020 10:15 pm

OrlChamps2030 wrote:As far as optimistic projections go (I’ve seen names like Murray, Francis, Jameer, Lou Will) how does Cole compare to FVV?

Are you asking the FVV we see in the league now or the FVV when he was Cole's age and college experience? If it's the former, then eye-test alone Cole is way more athletic and gets to the rim more while FVV is probably the better shooter. Passing-wise.. probably FVV because he has better teammates to pass to compare to Cole who has YMCA-level teammates in UNC.

As I said, only my eye-test. Don't have real stats to back it up.
pepe1991
RealGM
And1: 16,292

Post#234 » by pepe1991 » Thu Nov 19, 2020 10:25 pm

Xatticus wrote:
Bigmagicfan82 wrote:
jonbob17 wrote:
Exactly. Do you hear Grant Riller complaining about the talent around him at Charleston, or Flynn at SDSU? Trae young at Oklahoma.
These guys were still effecient and scored well, even though everybody could collapse defenses on them.

I don't hate the pick. His NC stats is a small sample size. I think we should weight the prep career too, and I do think he has plenty of upside. There are plenty of concerns. One is his age, he is already 20 and a half, a year older than most of these other freshman. Lack of passing. It does seem like you need a PG that can score the ball in the modern nba. I would have certainly like to see us trade up into the mid lottery, but apparently we don't have the assets (outside future picks) to get that done.
If I remember correctly, wasn't one of the complaints against Trae Young that he took inefficient shots and he was a chucker. I remember a lot of people wondered if he would translate to the next level.

Sent from my SM-N975U using RealGM mobile app

It was, but it's not really a similar situation. Young took tougher shots than Anthony, but he was also much more efficient. It was quite clear that Young was going to be a really good shooter, especially if he could rein in his shot selection a bit. Anthony was terribly inefficient. His true shooting and effective field goal percentages were abysmal for the collegiate level. Young's were quite good.

Just that bold part.
He shot 36% FG, 34% for 3 and had more turnovers than assists before he had minor surgery and got hurt. He actually, stats wise- played better after injury.
First game at college he started guns blazing. 12-24 FG.
What he did in second? Well also took 24 shots, but this time around missed 17 shots.

Later , before injury, when level of competition improved, against Ohio State and Virginia, he combined for 8-30 FG on 4 assists, 9 turnovers and 3-16 for 3.

I pretty much agree with everything else said. It's hard to find player that is his type, that actually sticks in nba for long with meaningful career.

Also guy has been on scouting radars since he was 13 years old. There is nothing unknown about his game. He was one of most hyped prospects comming into 2020. And guy just kept falling through lottery to the point where he ended up being non- lottery pick.
Last guys who's stock went in total free fall after one year are Quentin Grimes and Nassi Little. And both of them were not really THAT hyped like Cole was prior to entering college.
Porter Jr has been mentioned here, but it's different story. Some people thought Porter won't be able to play basketball again. ACL tears run in his family, i heard somwhere that even people in his family who never played any sports- had knee surgeries :crazy:

I really,really,really hope i'm wrong, that his college team was that bad, that he just thought he has no other option but to hoist terrible jumpers. But his "mentality and effort" is also playing part of his hoisting and chucking. That mentality of dog can easly go from being great motivator do biggest issue ( difference between one Tucker and one Steph Marbury ) .
Life is what happens when you're busy making other plans. -John Lennon
MagicFan101
RealGM
And1: 6,501

Post#235 » by MagicFan101 » Thu Nov 19, 2020 10:39 pm

Trae Young’s dangerous shooting habits caused him to fall all the way down to the #5 pick in a much better draft class.

Cole Anthony fell to #15 in a very poor draft class.

We don’t need long essays dissecting the details to come to the conclusion that these are not the same stories.

At the very least, Cole Anthony will be a spark plug off the bench worthy of a mid 1st round pick outside the lottery in a poor draft.

At best, he could break out and live up to some of those early expectations earning a starting role as a go-to scoring option.

Given what was left on the board, minus trade opportunities I can’t argue with the selection at this point.
RookieStar
RealGM

Post#236 » by RookieStar » Thu Nov 19, 2020 10:44 pm

Yup.. I agree. For the 15th pick, we got value. Love it? Nope. Like it for where we are? So-so.

Wasn't it prior that we were bemoaning why we didn't take on the chance with MPJ? Someone who should have been higher but because of circumstance, fell way down? For me, he is like that.
Bensational
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 12,447

Post#237 » by Bensational » Thu Nov 19, 2020 10:49 pm

Unrelated to the pick - yesterday was one of the best experiences I've had with the board. Getting on Discord and chatting with peeps real time, and even chatting verbally to SOUL, Knightro and Xatticus was just a damn good time and nice to see a different side of people.

I'd be down for having some game-time watch parties in a similar fashion if anyone is down? I'd much rather listen to commentary from folks on this board than Steele and Turner (and I don't dislike them).

Thanks for organising yesterday SOUL! Was one of the better days for 2020.
Skin
RealGM
And1: 8,636

Post#238 » by Skin » Thu Nov 19, 2020 10:50 pm

thelead wrote:

I think of Deron Williams when watching his style. FVV isn't a bad comp at all but Cole is more athletic and crafty with the ball. Will he be good though? That's all that matters.

I like Deron as a comparison for his body, but not his game. His game is more like this guy... :lol:

Jett Howard, Franz Wagner, Paolo Banchero, Jonathan Isaac, Wendell Carter Jr
Anthony Black, Cole Anthony, Jalen Suggs, Joe Ingles, Chuma Okeke, Mo Wagner, Goga Bitadze LESSSGOOO!!!
Dub_Sax
Rookie
And1: 111

Post#239 » by Dub_Sax » Thu Nov 19, 2020 11:18 pm

Any word on when the intro press conference is?

Sent from my SM-G955U using RealGM mobile app
yoyojw17
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,092

Post#240 » by yoyojw17 » Thu Nov 19, 2020 11:22 pm

PrimeThyme wrote:

People have asked for "a dog", a committed lover of basketball, and a player that will lay it all down on the court... and from what I've seen.... he's got those qualities. Might be our hardest working player from day one. Hope that becomes infectious as he continues to grow and probably becomes a leader on the team.

Return to Orlando Magic