ImageImageImageImage

Cole World: Orlando Magic Select Cole Anthony at #15

Moderators: Howard Mass, UCF, ChosenSavior, Knightro, SOUL, Def Swami, UCFJayBird

Skin
RealGM
Posts: 15,668
And1: 7,335
Joined: Jul 03, 2009
   

Re: Cole World: Orlando Magic Select Cole Anthony at #15 

Post#301 » by Skin » Sat Nov 21, 2020 10:28 pm

basketballRob wrote:
MagicMatic wrote:
KillMonger wrote:why? anthony isn't a bad defender and neither is fultz


We both know Clifford isn’t starting Cole with Fournier and Ross on the roster. Not happening.
Fultz has a real tough time against small quick gards.

Sent from my SM-G950U using RealGM mobile app

Prove that to me.
Fultz, _____, Okeke, Isaac, Bamba. LET'S GO!
Bensational
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 23,500
And1: 9,123
Joined: Apr 10, 2001
     

Re: Cole World: Orlando Magic Select Cole Anthony at #15 

Post#302 » by Bensational » Sat Nov 21, 2020 10:32 pm

Lol, the only time Pepe has praise or compliments for other players is when he's using them in a comp to **** on our players. But if we suggest trading for that player he quickly finds a way to walk back anything positive he's said about that player.
basketballRob
RealGM
Posts: 10,465
And1: 4,315
Joined: May 05, 2014
     

Re: Cole World: Orlando Magic Select Cole Anthony at #15 

Post#303 » by basketballRob » Sun Nov 22, 2020 2:08 am

Read on Twitter
?s=19

Sent from my SM-G950U using RealGM mobile app
Optimus_Steel
RealGM
Posts: 32,302
And1: 8,354
Joined: Sep 16, 2003
Location: Winter Garden, FL
   

Re: Cole World: Orlando Magic Select Cole Anthony at #15 

Post#304 » by Optimus_Steel » Sun Nov 22, 2020 2:46 am

I really like his attitude. Seems like a fighter, which is nice because we have a history of passive personalities.
aka: prorl
Nyce_1
RealGM
Posts: 10,763
And1: 4,754
Joined: Jun 29, 2009
Location: Tampa
 

Re: Cole World: Orlando Magic Select Cole Anthony at #15 

Post#305 » by Nyce_1 » Sun Nov 22, 2020 3:39 am

Man, after a few days and nights sleep, and some youtube watching, I just can't get excited about this pick. I'll support him, 1000%, but I just don't see it off available tape. I'm looking forward to preseason games to see him with our guys. I hope he has a good camp and picks up some things quickly.

At best, I see backup PG.

p.s. Kira Lewis would've been
Knightro
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
Posts: 8,375
And1: 9,446
Joined: Dec 18, 2010
Location: Orlando, FL
 

Re: Cole World: Orlando Magic Select Cole Anthony at #15 

Post#306 » by Knightro » Sun Nov 22, 2020 3:44 am

I'm sure some of these facts have been shared, but here are a few things that explain some of Cole Anthony and North Carolina's struggles.

North Carolina was a terrible shooting team
-Anthony's UNC teammates combined to shoot 29.1% from the 3 point line for the season.

North Carolina had terrible spacing
-Garrison Brooks and Armando Bacot, two big men who *combined* to take 7 threes the entire season, started every game at the 4 and 5 and each played big minutes.

North Carolina does not run a ball-screen heavy offense
-North Carolina finished just 18% of their plays out of pick-and-roll sets either with passes or shots from the ballhandler. That was 306th nationally.

Now none of these things explain away all of Anthony's struggles by any means, but certainly interesting things to note.
zaymon
Veteran
Posts: 2,547
And1: 1,377
Joined: Jul 01, 2015
   

Re: Cole World: Orlando Magic Select Cole Anthony at #15 

Post#307 » by zaymon » Sun Nov 22, 2020 7:00 am

Nyce_1 wrote:Man, after a few days and nights sleep, and some youtube watching, I just can't get excited about this pick. I'll support him, 1000%, but I just don't see it off available tape. I'm looking forward to preseason games to see him with our guys. I hope he has a good camp and picks up some things quickly.

At best, I see backup PG.

p.s. Kira Lewis would've been

I also had Lewis a bit higher but you cant deny Cole is better shooter, especially off the dribble but also off movement. He is more dynamic ball handler and vertical finisher.
Lewis has quicker first step ( we will see how good is cole after comimg back from injury), and a better decision maker.
On defense Cole is stronger and more versatile defender. Both are smart, lewis maybe better technique.
Anthony falling from top 5 to top15 could be a blessing for him. He is now humbled and spoke already about fixing his decision making.
Lewis was a better college player but i am not so sure he will be better nba player.

Ps. Its like worse versions of Fox vs Lillard
Bold Predictions:
1. Deandre Ayton biggest disappointment of 2018 draft.
2. Nick Nurse becomes Orlando Magic Head Coach. (15.04.2018)
User avatar
KillMonger
RealGM
Posts: 11,006
And1: 5,030
Joined: Oct 13, 2012
     

Re: Cole World: Orlando Magic Select Cole Anthony at #15 

Post#308 » by KillMonger » Sun Nov 22, 2020 7:06 am

he's part of our team now so until otherwise i support cole 100%....You can argue at that point in the draft he was the bpa and it so happens he fills a need so at least they didn't get the pick wrong
Image

FREE AG...... FREE HEZONJA....... FREE AG...... FREE HEZONJA
User avatar
MagicMatic
Head Coach
Posts: 6,766
And1: 6,672
Joined: May 30, 2016
 

Re: Cole World: Orlando Magic Select Cole Anthony at #15 

Post#309 » by MagicMatic » Sun Nov 22, 2020 8:24 am

I support Cole Anthony!

And his future as the backup point guard of the Orlando Magic.
pepe1991
RealGM
Posts: 12,519
And1: 10,146
Joined: Jan 10, 2016
   

Re: Cole World: Orlando Magic Select Cole Anthony at #15 

Post#310 » by pepe1991 » Sun Nov 22, 2020 8:25 am

Bensational wrote:Lol, the only time Pepe has praise or compliments for other players is when he's using them in a comp to **** on our players. But if we suggest trading for that player he quickly finds a way to walk back anything positive he's said about that player.


lol i didn't post a word for like last 4 pages on this topic and i'm still getting qoutes :lol:

I think i just like players who know what they can't do and have strong negative feelings about players who use live games to try new things.
For example, if player is working on his pull up jumper shouldn't he try it at workouts instad of games before he is 100% comfortable with it?
Marucs Morris shot 6 pull up jumper a game while shooting 42% eFG from them, on same team Reggie Jackson was adding 5 more shots with same, miserable results. IT was 3 years ago. Spoiler alert, there was not point before or after that year where they were good pull up shooters. So logic question becomes: why shoot if you can't?

As far as Cole goes there are 2 major develomental things that have to happen to him in order to him to become anything more than backup:
1) playamking and having control of offsne, cutting turnovers, engaging teammates, trusting the pass and controling pace
2) shot efficiency, shot selection and understanding that there might be better alternatives from him taking bad shots

He has that strong attitude and mentality, and on positive note it's great thing for confidence, but on other side it's hard to teach player with such attitude and they tend to think they know everything already.
At college level his coach was non other than Roy Williams, guy who won over 800 college games in his life. Guy who did not have negative W-L record in last 17 years. Yet he could not control Cole as Cole was highjacking offense.
Granted, North Carolina roster was NOT good, but once again, it's not excuse for player to take terrible shots and play heroball.

Most people like Trae Young, and granted he had smooth transition in NBA, but you can't tell me that him shooting 40 footers for no reason will ever work in playoffs. It won't. It's complete waste of possession and does nothing for offense, offensive rythm or team spirit. If anything, it just makes his teammates that much angrier on him because he just took 10 of last 15 shots and now he is hoisting shots from half court and he is expecting them to bail his little *** on defense? I don't think so. Lillard is AMAZING scorer, he basically never did jack **** in playoffs because of similar attitude.
During Lillard era Blazers passed first round of playoffs grand total of TWO times. Witch means Jokic and Murray who are like 24 years old, already brought more sucess to their team than " amazing Dame time, show stopper Lillard" ever did. Why? Well, they DON'T pretend basketball is NBA 2K, they know wide open corner 3 from Jeremy Grant and contested half court shot have same base value 3 points. One just has 42% chance of going in, other has 30% . And there is nothing to gain but some 13 years old boy yelling Dame time at screen and some ESPN moron wetting his pants. 3 days later Dame time is over and Lilard goes home after first round. Slow motion Jokic is playing second round :dontknow:

Kawhi is best example of player who is as boring as it gets yet one of most effective players. Good basketball should be boring, it should be cerebral, it should be movment with purpose, it should be picking defense,reading what they offer and reacting. In NBA half of the teams don't even know how to execute proper half court set. It's laughable how poor some teams are because of it in playoffs. We had professional nba team that didn't know how to play against zone month and half ago. :crazy:
"A straight path never leads anywhere except to the objective."
Andre Gide
Skybox
Veteran
Posts: 2,909
And1: 1,630
Joined: Jan 21, 2017
 

Re: Cole World: Orlando Magic Select Cole Anthony at #15 

Post#311 » by Skybox » Sun Nov 22, 2020 11:52 am

basketballRob wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=19

Sent from my SM-G950U using RealGM mobile app


31ppg and 3 assists...classic AAU player. Hope it translates
Skybox
Veteran
Posts: 2,909
And1: 1,630
Joined: Jan 21, 2017
 

Re: Cole World: Orlando Magic Select Cole Anthony at #15 

Post#312 » by Skybox » Sun Nov 22, 2020 11:55 am

pepe1991 wrote:
Bensational wrote:Lol, the only time Pepe has praise or compliments for other players is when he's using them in a comp to **** on our players. But if we suggest trading for that player he quickly finds a way to walk back anything positive he's said about that player.


lol i didn't post a word for like last 4 pages on this topic and i'm still getting qoutes :lol:

I think i just like players who know what they can't do and have strong negative feelings about players who use live games to try new things.
For example, if player is working on his pull up jumper shouldn't he try it at workouts instad of games before he is 100% comfortable with it?
Marucs Morris shot 6 pull up jumper a game while shooting 42% eFG from them, on same team Reggie Jackson was adding 5 more shots with same, miserable results. IT was 3 years ago. Spoiler alert, there was not point before or after that year where they were good pull up shooters. So logic question becomes: why shoot if you can't?

As far as Cole goes there are 2 major develomental things that have to happen to him in order to him to become anything more than backup:
1) playamking and having control of offsne, cutting turnovers, engaging teammates, trusting the pass and controling pace
2) shot efficiency, shot selection and understanding that there might be better alternatives from him taking bad shots

He has that strong attitude and mentality, and on positive note it's great thing for confidence, but on other side it's hard to teach player with such attitude and they tend to think they know everything already.
At college level his coach was non other than Roy Williams, guy who won over 800 college games in his life. Guy who did not have negative W-L record in last 17 years. Yet he could not control Cole as Cole was highjacking offense.
Granted, North Carolina roster was NOT good, but once again, it's not excuse for player to take terrible shots and play heroball.

Most people like Trae Young, and granted he had smooth transition in NBA, but you can't tell me that him shooting 40 footers for no reason will ever work in playoffs. It won't. It's complete waste of possession and does nothing for offense, offensive rythm or team spirit. If anything, it just makes his teammates that much angrier on him because he just took 10 of last 15 shots and now he is hoisting shots from half court and he is expecting them to bail his little *** on defense? I don't think so. Lillard is AMAZING scorer, he basically never did jack **** in playoffs because of similar attitude.
During Lillard era Blazers passed first round of playoffs grand total of TWO times. Witch means Jokic and Murray who are like 24 years old, already brought more sucess to their team than " amazing Dame time, show stopper Lillard" ever did. Why? Well, they DON'T pretend basketball is NBA 2K, they know wide open corner 3 from Jeremy Grant and contested half court shot have same base value 3 points. One just has 42% chance of going in, other has 30% . And there is nothing to gain but some 13 years old boy yelling Dame time at screen and some ESPN moron wetting his pants. 3 days later Dame time is over and Lilard goes home after first round. Slow motion Jokic is playing second round :dontknow:

Kawhi is best example of player who is as boring as it gets yet one of most effective players. Good basketball should be boring, it should be cerebral, it should be movment with purpose, it should be picking defense,reading what they offer and reacting. In NBA half of the teams don't even know how to execute proper half court set. It's laughable how poor some teams are because of it in playoffs. We had professional nba team that didn't know how to play against zone month and half ago. :crazy:


Coached my son for years with that in mind...”Tim Duncan is BORING! TD never makes amazing highlight reel shots because he doesn’t have to. He’s in the right place at the right Tim. Boring is good. TD’s highlights are ring ceremonies...”
zaymon
Veteran
Posts: 2,547
And1: 1,377
Joined: Jul 01, 2015
   

Re: Cole World: Orlando Magic Select Cole Anthony at #15 

Post#313 » by zaymon » Sun Nov 22, 2020 1:04 pm

Were i have hope in Cole is
1. He already struggled and was accused on not helping his team. If he is a winner he has all the motivation to change his decision making.
2. He is already great in off ball offense. He doesnt need the ball at all to be effective, and we have Fultz, Vucevic, Fournier to unlock him
3. He was near 90 % free throw shooter on high volume before college. It should translete
4. He was one of the smarter help defenders in college. Opposite of Edwards, Ball and Wiseman.
5. He was better in isolation than pick and roll. It shows something about him, but also something about his team.
Clifford was talking about Lowry/FVV offensive tandem as comparison to Fultz/Anthony so there is a proof he is thinking about changing our offense, he just needs players to do it.
Bold Predictions:
1. Deandre Ayton biggest disappointment of 2018 draft.
2. Nick Nurse becomes Orlando Magic Head Coach. (15.04.2018)
Nyce_1
RealGM
Posts: 10,763
And1: 4,754
Joined: Jun 29, 2009
Location: Tampa
 

Re: Cole World: Orlando Magic Select Cole Anthony at #15 

Post#314 » by Nyce_1 » Sun Nov 22, 2020 1:08 pm

zaymon wrote:
Nyce_1 wrote:Man, after a few days and nights sleep, and some youtube watching, I just can't get excited about this pick. I'll support him, 1000%, but I just don't see it off available tape. I'm looking forward to preseason games to see him with our guys. I hope he has a good camp and picks up some things quickly.

At best, I see backup PG.

p.s. Kira Lewis would've been

I also had Lewis a bit higher but you cant deny Cole is better shooter, especially off the dribble but also off movement. He is more dynamic ball handler and vertical finisher.
Lewis has quicker first step ( we will see how good is cole after comimg back from injury), and a better decision maker.
On defense Cole is stronger and more versatile defender. Both are smart, lewis maybe better technique.
Anthony falling from top 5 to top15 could be a blessing for him. He is now humbled and spoke already about fixing his decision making.
Lewis was a better college player but i am not so sure he will be better nba player.

Ps. Its like worse versions of Fox vs Lillard
I agree with your offensive comparison to each other. Defense, goes out the window; different ball game now.

I hope Cole does well for us. Looking forward to his year 2 here. I don't think the rookies will get a lot of burn (if we stay healthy). More importantly, I hope HE stays healthy.
zaymon
Veteran
Posts: 2,547
And1: 1,377
Joined: Jul 01, 2015
   

Re: Cole World: Orlando Magic Select Cole Anthony at #15 

Post#315 » by zaymon » Sun Nov 22, 2020 1:43 pm

Nyce_1 wrote:
zaymon wrote:
Nyce_1 wrote:Man, after a few days and nights sleep, and some youtube watching, I just can't get excited about this pick. I'll support him, 1000%, but I just don't see it off available tape. I'm looking forward to preseason games to see him with our guys. I hope he has a good camp and picks up some things quickly.

At best, I see backup PG.

p.s. Kira Lewis would've been

I also had Lewis a bit higher but you cant deny Cole is better shooter, especially off the dribble but also off movement. He is more dynamic ball handler and vertical finisher.
Lewis has quicker first step ( we will see how good is cole after comimg back from injury), and a better decision maker.
On defense Cole is stronger and more versatile defender. Both are smart, lewis maybe better technique.
Anthony falling from top 5 to top15 could be a blessing for him. He is now humbled and spoke already about fixing his decision making.
Lewis was a better college player but i am not so sure he will be better nba player.

Ps. Its like worse versions of Fox vs Lillard
I agree with your offensive comparison to each other. Defense, goes out the window; different ball game now.

I hope Cole does well for us. Looking forward to his year 2 here. I don't think the rookies will get a lot of burn (if we stay healthy). More importantly, I hope HE stays healthy.

Maybe i am naive but i think Okeke and Cole will get a lot of burn. Cliff started Fultz even when he was actively hurting our offense. We just didnt resigned Dj, who will space for us ?
We resigned a bunch of good veterans on minimal deals, do you think Cliff will hesitate to bench Ennis when Okeke shoots 38 % from 3 ? He didnt hesitate with benching Dj and removing Birch and Aminu from rotation.
Bold Predictions:
1. Deandre Ayton biggest disappointment of 2018 draft.
2. Nick Nurse becomes Orlando Magic Head Coach. (15.04.2018)
User avatar
tiderulz
RealGM
Posts: 30,095
And1: 10,949
Joined: Jun 16, 2010
Location: Atlanta
 

Re: Cole World: Orlando Magic Select Cole Anthony at #15 

Post#316 » by tiderulz » Sun Nov 22, 2020 2:21 pm

pepe1991 wrote:
Bensational wrote:Lol, the only time Pepe has praise or compliments for other players is when he's using them in a comp to **** on our players. But if we suggest trading for that player he quickly finds a way to walk back anything positive he's said about that player.


lol i didn't post a word for like last 4 pages on this topic and i'm still getting qoutes :lol:

I think i just like players who know what they can't do and have strong negative feelings about players who use live games to try new things.
For example, if player is working on his pull up jumper shouldn't he try it at workouts instad of games before he is 100% comfortable with it?
Marucs Morris shot 6 pull up jumper a game while shooting 42% eFG from them, on same team Reggie Jackson was adding 5 more shots with same, miserable results. IT was 3 years ago. Spoiler alert, there was not point before or after that year where they were good pull up shooters. So logic question becomes: why shoot if you can't?

As far as Cole goes there are 2 major develomental things that have to happen to him in order to him to become anything more than backup:
1) playamking and having control of offsne, cutting turnovers, engaging teammates, trusting the pass and controling pace
2) shot efficiency, shot selection and understanding that there might be better alternatives from him taking bad shots

He has that strong attitude and mentality, and on positive note it's great thing for confidence, but on other side it's hard to teach player with such attitude and they tend to think they know everything already.
At college level his coach was non other than Roy Williams, guy who won over 800 college games in his life. Guy who did not have negative W-L record in last 17 years. Yet he could not control Cole as Cole was highjacking offense.
Granted, North Carolina roster was NOT good, but once again, it's not excuse for player to take terrible shots and play heroball.

Most people like Trae Young, and granted he had smooth transition in NBA, but you can't tell me that him shooting 40 footers for no reason will ever work in playoffs. It won't. It's complete waste of possession and does nothing for offense, offensive rythm or team spirit. If anything, it just makes his teammates that much angrier on him because he just took 10 of last 15 shots and now he is hoisting shots from half court and he is expecting them to bail his little *** on defense? I don't think so. Lillard is AMAZING scorer, he basically never did jack **** in playoffs because of similar attitude.
During Lillard era Blazers passed first round of playoffs grand total of TWO times. Witch means Jokic and Murray who are like 24 years old, already brought more sucess to their team than " amazing Dame time, show stopper Lillard" ever did. Why? Well, they DON'T pretend basketball is NBA 2K, they know wide open corner 3 from Jeremy Grant and contested half court shot have same base value 3 points. One just has 42% chance of going in, other has 30% . And there is nothing to gain but some 13 years old boy yelling Dame time at screen and some ESPN moron wetting his pants. 3 days later Dame time is over and Lilard goes home after first round. Slow motion Jokic is playing second round :dontknow:

Kawhi is best example of player who is as boring as it gets yet one of most effective players. Good basketball should be boring, it should be cerebral, it should be movment with purpose, it should be picking defense,reading what they offer and reacting. In NBA half of the teams don't even know how to execute proper half court set. It's laughable how poor some teams are because of it in playoffs. We had professional nba team that didn't know how to play against zone month and half ago. :crazy:

as you mentioned, his coach was Roy Williams. if he was really "hijacking" an offense, do you not believe Williams would have yanked his butt and sat him? He has had no problem doing that throughout his career, why would he balk at that now? its not like that team was winning so much he wouldm't be afraid to do it and risk losing. Since he didnt, that tells me the coaches had given him a green light. And by all means, he is a smart kid, son of a smart former NBA guard, still young enough to learn from coaches. I want to see him healthy before assuming he will only play selfish and inefficient
User avatar
J_Magic
Starter
Posts: 2,001
And1: 130
Joined: Jan 11, 2003
Location: Orlando
Contact:

Re: Cole World: Orlando Magic Select Cole Anthony at #15 

Post#317 » by J_Magic » Sun Nov 22, 2020 2:55 pm

Lets be honest please everyone. You do not go to game or watch them to see boring basketball.

Having the fundamentals is great, but fans want to see the show men play. You have to play an entertaining effective style to get fans in the seats and sponsors.
Key word is effective.
pepe1991
RealGM
Posts: 12,519
And1: 10,146
Joined: Jan 10, 2016
   

Re: Cole World: Orlando Magic Select Cole Anthony at #15 

Post#318 » by pepe1991 » Sun Nov 22, 2020 3:04 pm

J_Magic wrote:Lets be honest please everyone. You do not go to game or watch them to see boring basketball.

Having the fundamentals is great, but fans want to see the show men play. You have to play an entertaining effective style to get fans in the seats and sponsors.
Key word is effective.


That's why Spurs won 5 titles with Duncan and Steve Francis and Tracy McGrady led teams never found out what happends after first round of playoffs :dontknow:
"A straight path never leads anywhere except to the objective."
Andre Gide
Skybox
Veteran
Posts: 2,909
And1: 1,630
Joined: Jan 21, 2017
 

Re: Cole World: Orlando Magic Select Cole Anthony at #15 

Post#319 » by Skybox » Sun Nov 22, 2020 3:21 pm

pepe1991 wrote:
J_Magic wrote:Lets be honest please everyone. You do not go to game or watch them to see boring basketball.

Having the fundamentals is great, but fans want to see the show men play. You have to play an entertaining effective style to get fans in the seats and sponsors.
Key word is effective.


That's why Spurs won 5 titles with Duncan and Steve Francis and Tracy McGrady led teams never found out what happends after first round of playoffs :dontknow:


So, get Jason Williams instead of Larry Bird. Just not true, fans show up for wins and learn to appreciate well-played games. I'm sick of enjoying Magic only on "NBA top 10 plays with AG highlights" while they lose. I enjoy highlights from any team, but fans want THEIR team to win.

MJ would be Ricky Davis if he didn't have the soundest fundamentals of his generation. Kobe too
pepe1991
RealGM
Posts: 12,519
And1: 10,146
Joined: Jan 10, 2016
   

Re: Cole World: Orlando Magic Select Cole Anthony at #15 

Post#320 » by pepe1991 » Sun Nov 22, 2020 3:30 pm

Skybox wrote:
pepe1991 wrote:
J_Magic wrote:Lets be honest please everyone. You do not go to game or watch them to see boring basketball.

Having the fundamentals is great, but fans want to see the show men play. You have to play an entertaining effective style to get fans in the seats and sponsors.
Key word is effective.


That's why Spurs won 5 titles with Duncan and Steve Francis and Tracy McGrady led teams never found out what happends after first round of playoffs :dontknow:


So, get Jason Williams instead of Larry Bird. Just not true, fans show up for wins and learn to appreciate well-played games. I'm sick of enjoying Magic only on "NBA top 10 plays with AG highlights" while they lose. I enjoy highlights from any team, but fans want THEIR team to win.

MJ would be Ricky Davis if he didn't have the soundest fundamentals of his generation. Kobe too


Whole aspect of "show" is subjective. Warriors were one of most exiting teams and Green, Klay and Curry could barley dunk :lol:

I highly doubt anybody goes live to watch Aaron Gordon dunk :dontknow:
"A straight path never leads anywhere except to the objective."
Andre Gide

Return to Orlando Magic